News 2018 Pokemon Championship Series Details Posted!

Would be nice if judges could do more than 1 PC a month, especially in Canada. Hoping VGC is a little more obtainable for us this year.

Happy that Toronto is Standard. Was going to go this year but it was expanded which I know a little bit about but otherwise did not have a deck I felt could be competitive considering the travel costs.

If Worlds are always Standard then why so many expanded tournaments?

Nice to see Portland being Standard this year! Was quite miffed when it was Expanded last year, leaving only Seattle for Standard in the PNW here (Richmond, BC replacing Seattle this year, of course). Honestly, I think they need to drop Expanded from official play altogether. It makes for an interesting for-fun format, but splitting up your championships into two completely different formats, one of which is absolutely horrendous for new players to get into (especially given it has 6 year-old sets in it) is just dumb. And when the end-all-be-all championship in Worlds is always Standard! Just stick to that!

And that's not mentioning how out of control some of the combos in Expanded can get because of the massive ballooning size of it, bringing things to the point where they have to ban cards (that aren't broken in their own right like LTC) just so the format doesn't break. If you're having to do that to your official format, then maybe it's not a very good format to use in your championships, hmm?

*Le-sigh*

Welp, at least I don't have to spend a bajillion bucks to play in more than one regionals this year. These'll actually be my first ones, since I missed out on Seattle due to working Memorial Day Weekend (busy retail weekend = no holiday for me :C ). Also helps that I only have to drive a couple miles cross the border to get to Lower BC transit, so that's nice! Border towns ftw. :D

Stoked theres couple standard on east coast I can make it to; NC and TN, wihsing FL woujld be standard but since it 2 hr drive cant pass it up. I agree with Cool pilot, Regionals should just be standard. Need unfifomrity with some respect and does make it tough for newer people to jump in ,especailly with how few regionals there are each year. There are this many regionl sfor Yugioh each year in just FL; blows my mind how few regionals they have. They should bump it up to about 40 or so and that would be much easier for ppl to go to multiple in one season with out traveling cross country.

On the bright side, easier. On the bad side, two less WC regs. Anyone know if you need a passport to get to BC from America?

I'm liking this schedule, too much Expanded though.

They needed more expanded. You can't have a format you say you are interested in supporting and not have enough events to actually force players to create strategies for it.

They should get rid of expanded, makes no sense, if you are rotating cards out of play then do that. Either that or have significanrly more regionals, like yugioh.

The Regionals near me(Costa Mesa, San Jose) are expanded :( Is that like explicit or will there still be some standard competition there. Don't really want to play expanded.

The Regionals near me(Costa Mesa, San Jose) are expanded :( Is that like explicit or will there still be some standard competition there. Don't really want to play expanded.
Guaranteed expanded. If it makes you feel any better Cali is pretty much entirely standard league cups rn.

Guaranteed expanded. If it makes you feel any better Cali is pretty much entirely standard league cups rn.

Well that's good to know. I'm still just testing decks online before I decided what to build physically. Was playing with a Night March Deck I managed to pull together with the cards I have online and it was pretty killer so now I'm definitely considering building both a standard and expanded deck.

Well that's good to know. I'm still just testing decks online before I decided what to build physically. Was playing with a Night March Deck I managed to pull together with the cards I have online and it was pretty killer so now I'm definitely considering building both a standard and expanded deck.
Night March is only expanded.

Back