Writing Athena Plays Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright - Playthrough Complete! Stay tuned for the next one...

Athena should be a Great Lord. Doesn't the Hoshido skill increase skill activation?

Yeah, Lv. 15 Hoshido Noble skill adds 10%, so it makes Aether much more useful, much like Rightful King does in Awakening itself. I've not actually used Great Lord in Fates, so this is pretty tempting.

Could you make up an A+ Support with you and Jesi? She's probably very lonely :<

Me and Robin Azama should A+ support.

DLC + Chapter 7: ITC: Athena discovers the joys of cosplay

I was about to try and figure out how to move on with the plot when BB came running up to me from a different part of the castle.

<BB> Athena! I have, uh, good news and bad news.
<Athena> Good news first. :3
<BB> Well, it seems like there's another exit from this pocket dimension or whatever the hell the place is called that this castle is. It leads to some forest full of trees and shit and with my special plot powers I have determined that it's actually another world! There was a sign post in the ground that said "Welcome to Ylisse!"
<Athena> Oooh, fancy. :O
<BB> The bad news is that I found some weird semi-invisible soldiers lurking around the castle and they ran into that other world. So, in finding that gate, I kind of, umm, sent a bunch of enemies there.
<Athena> Well, butts, I guess we'll have to go clean it up. I would say this is the flimsiest excuse of a plot I've ever seen for DLC, but then... it really isn't.
<BB> Yeah, there's much worse. >_>
<Athena> Anybutts, everyone gear up. We're heading to this Ylisse place to kill some invisible soldiers!
<Everyone> Woo, grinding! \o/​

Within moments, our contingent of fighters was ready to go and we stepped deftly through the shimmering gate, appearing in this world of Ylisse. I could see the soldiers flickering in and out of my vision amongst the trees. There were also 3 regular, non-invisible humans, a dour-looking paladin in armour, a cute and feisty blond healer, and a Blue-haired and regal-looking guy with a sweet arm tattoo (gotta be the lord).

<Drohn> Ohhey guys, 'sup?
<Freddy> Oh geez, Lord Chrom, what did I tell you about being nice to strangers. -_-;
<Drohn> Dude, chill, they're cool, I recognize another MC when I see one. Hey guys, welcome to Ylisse! This is my sister Lissa, and our Jagen, Freddy.
<Lissa> Yay, friends! ^_^
<Athena> It's a pleasure to meet you! I'm Athena, and these are my compatriots, BB, PMJ, and Skyleaf.
<Chrom> So, what brings you here today?
<Athena> Well, you see, we kind of came here from another world through a strange, shimmering gate, following a bunch of semi-invisible soldiers that ran from our world into yours.
<BB> Are you sure you want to tell them that, Athena? After all, they might get confused. Maybe if we made up a story about invisible, belligerent pigs instead...
<Athena> Nope, that's dumb as shit. We're telling the truth. Anyway, we came here to make sure they were taken care of before they injure any of your people.
<Drohn> In that case, let us help you out!
<Athena> Sweet, thanks!​

I was afraid of getting these new fellow in trouble, especially that important-looking blue haired guy, so I teamed up with BB and led a swift charge to try and take out as many of the enemies as I could as quickly as possible. However, both Drohn and Freddy fought with almost suicidal tendencies, rushing the enemy with no regard for their own safety, so the situation was still rather precarious. Skylead worked hard at keeping everyone healed up, and PMJ donced for extra stabs or extra heals, whichever happened to be more important at the time.

Finally, the reinforcements stopped spawning and I was able to rush the boss. With only one lone axeman left, Freddy took the final kill, and the level was complete.

<Drohn> I think that's the last of them. Thank you for your assistance.
<Athena> No, thank you for helping us out! It's our fault they got out here anyway.
<Chrom> If you've got invisible enemies that tough in your own kingdom, things must be rough. Here, have some sweet ass reclassing items!
<Athena> Woohoo, thank you!
<Freddy> I guess I may as well give you a present, too. *hands over*
<Athena> This is... a pebble. o_o;
<PMJ> Hey, we should probably be getting back now.
<Drohn> Yeah, I see an amnesiac in the woods we need to recruit into our army anyway, so take care!​

We waved goodbye and went back through the gate to our My Castle. As soon as we passed through it, the gate closed up and disappeared. I shrugged and checked out the reclass items we got from Drohn. They were both pretty cool, but I could only use one of the two, so I opted for the one that looked like Drohn's sweet tattoo. Athena reclassed into Great Lord! I decided to wander around the Castle in my new fancy clothes, and I happened to bump into PMJ.

<PMJ> Oh, hey Athena, 'sup?
<Athena> Check out these sweet clothes I got from my reclass! :D
<PMJ> Yes, indeed, you look pretty fancy. :3
<Athena> The weather is pretty nice here in this weird pocket dimension thing, isn't it? Nohr is always gloomy and stuff, but this is nice.
<PMJ> Yeah, I kind of take it for granted, having grown up in Hoshido. Man, it must have sucked living in Nohr. The land and the people both are cold and cruel.
<Athena> Oh, come on, it's not THAT bad. Kinda harsh, sure, but I have good memories from living there, too.
<PMJ> Well, some point later you'll have to tell me about them, but for now we should get back to the main plot, don't you think? This little DLC sideplot has already gone on long enough.
<Athena> Yeah, okay. See you later! <3
Athena and PMJ attained support level C!

Once everyone was rested up from the battle, we popped back to the real world and headed to Fort Jinya, a military base turned medical facility that was desperately trying to keep up with the waves of injured people, soldiers and civilians alike, from the increased Nohrian offenses.

<Skyleaf> Wow, it's a good thing we came when we did, they're really short-staffed!
<Athena> Is that a pun? >_>
<Skyleaf> Huh? o.o;
<PMJ> lolno, they use Rods here, remember?
<Athena> Oh, yeah, right.
<Skyleaf> My retainers are meeting us here too, so they can help out. Let me introduce you! Hana is a Samurai and Subaki is a Sky Knight.
<Athena> Squishy myrm and squishy flyer, got it. Hey, are you sure his name is really "Subaki" and not "Tsubaki"?
<Subaki> You're the one wielding the legendary sword "Yato" over there.
<Athena> Point. Anyway, we're happy to have you on the team, no matter how much your names have been butchered in localization.
<PMJ> And they have perfect timing in joining the party, too, because the fort is being ambushed.
<Athena> Wait, seriously? Ugh.
<Skyleaf> But but... this is a hospital...
<Athena> And clearly they don't give a crap about that. Come on, let's go.​

There were a few chests to raid, so I set BB and Rinkah to go grab them while I paired up with Jakob to choke the point the near the entrance. Eventually I was able to mostly clear a path to run to the next choke point while BB and Subaki cleaned up a few leftovers. The pattern continued, with BB taking a detour to grab the next chest, until I finally confronted the boss, a strangely familiar-looking cavalier.

<Silas> Hey Athena, 'sup?
<Athena> Um, do I know you? o_o;
<Silas> Aww, come on, don't be so cold just because we're on opposite sides of the war. :< We used to be best friends!
<Athena> Yeah, I'm drawing a blank. >_>
<Silas> So, um, I guess I won't be able to convince you to come back to Nohr with me, huh? :\
<Athena> If my own siblings couldn't convince me, some guy claiming to be my friend that I don't even remember is going to be able to either, no.
<Silas> Look, the middle of battle isn't really a good time to discuss this, so how about you KO me and finish up this map and we can chat later.
<Athena> Kay. *stabs*
<Silas> Geez, I didn't expect you to be so enthusiastic about it. x_x;​

With their boss down, it was pretty easy to sweep up the rest of the soldiers. Once the battle was over, I went back to talk to Silas like I'd promised.

<Silas> So, yeah, we used to be friends when we were kids, but Garon got pissed off at me hanging out with you because I tried to take you from the fortress one time, so he forbid us from seeing each other anymore. You don't remember that at all?
<Athena> Nope, but then, I didn't remember being born in another country and then being kidnapped and raised by my kidnapper either, so don't take it personally.
<Silas> Oh, geez, is my face red. Here I joined the Nohr army just hoping that I would be able to see you again someday, and then you run off and join the enemy and you don't even remember me. :\
<Athena> Sorry. :/
<Silas> Welp, I guess you may as well go ahead and kill me then.
<Athena> Nah, you're pretty cool. I may not remember you, but my childhood memories have been coming back, so maybe it will come back to me with time. Why don't you join up with us instead? We're trying to overthrow King Garon because he's basically a giant asshole.
<Silas> Sure, why not. I don't really care much about this stupid army anyway, since I only joined it to get close to you again. Sign me up!
<Vom> Oh, hey guys, 'sup?
<Skyleaf> Vom, it's so good to see you. ^_^
<Vom> You too, princess, but I'm afraid we've got bad news.
<Skyleaf> Ohno, what's wrong? :<
<Vom> Lord Jabber and Lord Xerneas are missing. They disappeared en route to Izumo.
<Athena> Alright everyone, I guess we've got another battle coming. Let's get ready to head out to Izumo!
<Vom> You must be Athena. I'll say, you've got an... interesting army here.
<BB> I know they don't look like much, but you'd be surprised what Lady Athena can accomplish. I mean, seriously, she didn't take a point of damage this whole battle!
<Vom> *shrugs* Any help is better than no help. Come on, I'll lead you out to where we lost them.
<Athena> Oh, but first let's go to my magical alternate-dimension castle to rest up and buy some stuff.
<Saizo> Wait, what? o_o;
<Athena> Oh, just trust me on this, I'll explain when we get there.​

Current Team:

Athena - Lv. 12 Great Lord
PMJ - Lv. 6 Songstress
Skyleaf - Lv. 4 Shrine Maiden
Vom - Lv. 7 Ninja

Decisions:
Two separate users posting the same suggestion or a single user with 3 (non-me) Likes is the minimum for any chosen decisions to go through. Unless it's something I really like in which case screw the requirement and I'll do it anyway for lolz.

Reclassing: Everyone's favourite part! Outlined below are the characters we have available and their available reclasses. The later DLC Reclassing section talks more about the DLC reclassing options that we have. Gold grinding levels will be played to earn up funds to buy reclassing items if necessary.

Athena - Outlaw (Heart), Nohr Princess (Heart), DLC classes (DLC)
PMJ - Sky Knight (Heart), DLC classes (DLC)
Skyleaf - Sky Knight (Heart), DLC classes (DLC)
Vom - Samurai (Heart), DLC classes (DLC)

DLC: I have access to a few DLC chapters that unlock some things. A few of them I will not be offering because they kind of piss me off (Beach/Royal maps), but the others I will. Here's a run-down of what's available.

Before Awakening - Random kind of chapter with Chrom, Lissa, and Freddy as NPCs. Reward is one each of Exalt’s Brand (Great Lord reclass item) and Hero’s Brand (Lodestar reclass item). Played and rewards got, so no reason to do this one again.
Boo Camp - Standard EXP grinding chapter with silly narrative justification.
Ghostly Gold - Standard gold grinding chapter with silly narrative justification.
Museum Melee - Everyone is suddenly on a ship participating in a contest to win cool weapons. Reward is basically whatever weapons you luck into getting from chests/drops.
Hidden Truths - As this chapter is a plot chapter that spoils some plot stuff and uses non-in-game characters, I will not be writing this chapter up if you have me play it, however I would be happy to do so if you want to use the reclass reward, which is a Fell Brand (Grandmaster reclass item, unlimited).
Vanguard Dawn - ??? Haven't actually played this one yet, so I dunno. Reward is a Vanguard Brand (Vanguard reclass item, unlimited).
Anna on the Run - ??? Haven't actually played this one yet, so I dunno. Reward is recruiting Anna, but she wasn't voted in, so we won't be using her anyway.
Ballistician Blitz - ??? Haven't actually played this one yet, so I dunno. Reward is a Sighting Lens (Ballistician reclass item, unlimited).
Witches' Trial - ??? Haven't actually played this one yet, so I dunno. Reward is a Witches Mark (Vanguard reclass item, unlimited).

Chapters can be played multiple times to unlock multiple rewards, but I will only write out a chapter for the level the first time it is played. The only exception is Hidden Truths which will not be written at all, as noted above.

More DLC chapters will become available over the next few weeks (yay Europe), so I will add them here as they become available, and note in the player notes when I do so.

DLC Reclassing: Italics indicate reclass options that are not currently available but can be gained with DLC as written above.

Dread Fighter - 2 available
Dark Flyer - 2 available
Lodestar (males only) - 1 only - reserved for Kaden
Grandmaster (males only) - unlimited
Vanguard (males only) - unlimited
Ballistician (males only) - unlimited
Witch (females only) - unlimited

NOTE: We also get one free of either the Ballistician class OR the Witch class without playing DLC. Please vote for which you'd like!

A+ Supports and Friendship Seals: Now that we have access to supports, we can start thinking about A+ supports for Friendship Seals. (A+ Supports are one-way, so X can get A+ with Y to access Y's class, but Y can still get his own A+ support with Z so Y gets Z's class, etc.)

Most of these are already decided for us based on the characters that were chosen. The bolded options require votes for which character should be chosen. Asterisked (*) characters are those with special classes who pass down their alternate class instead of their base class.

Azura/PMJ - Sakura/Skyleaf
Sakura/Skyleaf - Azura/PMJ*
Saizo/Vom - Ryoma/Jabber
Mozu/ExcalAura - Oboto/PP
Azama/Robin - Kaden/Celever* or Hayato/TGK
Hayato/TGK - Azama/Robin or Kaden/Celever*

Oboto/PP - Mozu/ExcalAura*
Takumi/Xerneas - Ryoma/Jabber
Kagero/Jesi - N/A :<
Kaden/Celever - Hayato/TGK or Azama/Robin
Ryoma/Jabber - Saizo/Vom or Takumi/Xerneas

Athena can't get A+ Supports but she can instead use a Friendship Seal with an A support with any/all female characters, so please suggest which ones should take priority. That way I know whose face to pet, etc. to get the A support sooner.

Player Notes:

Alright, we get 2 chapters in one today since the DLC isn't big enough to get a chapter on its own.

With 2 people advocating for use of the reclass items from the Before Awakening DLC, I figured I'd go ahead and do that. It's actually pretty funny because Chrom and Frederick really ARE suicidal in battle and have no strategy whatsoever; it's a really good thing they eventually get Robin to be tactician for them before they die. :U The hardest part about the level is keeping those two alive, especially since deploy slots are so low, but we managed to pull through.

PS: Props to anyone who gets why Chrom is called Drohn. You've been reading these prologues too long.

Great Lord is a decent reclass for Athena. She keeps her C katana/sword rank and adds nagi/lances (now up to D), plus she gets a stat boost in everything but Mag, including another Mov square! Oh, and did I mention she's also effectively cosplaying as Lucina?

The chapter itself was really incredibly easy. Sure, Athena is still our only combat unit, but she's pretty high leveled, and with a Jakob pair-up, she wasn't taking a single point of damage from any hit, even with triangle disadvantage. So she basically killed everything herself, except for a couple kills that I fed to PMJ and one that I gave to Subaki just so I could move on and not dillydally as much. Athena was getting practically no exp per hit because she's relatively overleveled, but it doesn't really matter, since there's no point in funneling exp to any of the other fighters. The biggest downside is that, since Athena wasn't taking damage, there were few opportunities for Sakura to rod spam.

We get Vom at the end of the chapter, so we'll finally have another combat unit to use aside from Athena. Shuriken are really great in this game, and Vom is one of the stronger ninja units in the game, so he'll be a welcome addition.

We'll be taking a break over the weekend as usually, but next chapter, we'll pick up 2 more units, a second healer with Azama (joins mid-chapter), and some magical offense with Hayato (comes in at the end, like Vom did this time), so we'll really start bulking up our team.

Thanks for reading, and continue to offer up suggestions and feedback for our characters!

Yeah, Lv. 15 Hoshido Noble skill adds 10%, so it makes Aether much more useful, much like Rightful King does in Awakening itself. I've not actually used Great Lord in Fates, so this is pretty tempting.
Great Lord Corrin roflstomps the game more than usual it's great!!

Also voting for Dread Fighter Mozu and Tankumi (Ballistician Takumi). Oh and maybe pick up Warp for Azura from the DLC chapter (I think you have to wait till turn 11 to pick up the skill).

Last edited:
Paralogue 1: Aura discovers a taste for vengeance

Despite Vom's warning about Jabber and Xerneas being in potentially serious danger, we decided to take a break for a while and chill out in our alternate dimension castle, because wynaut. Everyone knows that, in an RPG, the best time to do a bunch is silly sidequests is right when the plot is at a critically important point!

<PMJ> So, Athena, feel like telling me more about life in Nohr while we're killing time?
<Athena> Well, I spent most of my time locked up in a fortress and not allowed to go outside or have any friends...
<PMJ> :\
<Athena> But the servants were nice to me, and my sibs were all pretty cool. They visited quite a lot. And we had a library with lots of books.
<PMJ> Well, I guess it didn't suck all too badly then.
<Athena> Nah, it was my home. I even kind of miss it a bit.
<Skyleaf> Oh, hey PMJ, there you are. :3
<PMJ> Hello Skyleaf, how are you doing?
<Skyleaf> Well, I'm trying out this whole "talking to people" thing, and I was thinking... maybe you could tell me a story? It's been a while since you have.
<PMJ> If I'm telling you a story, that's not a whole lot of talking on your end though, is it?
<Skyleaf> Well, no, I guess, but, um, I did have the courage to ask you!
<PMJ> True enough! I suppose you deserve a reward. How about another scary story?
<Skyleaf> Eek! I don't like those ones, they're terrifying!
<PMJ> Ah, yes, that's true, I remember the last time I told you one you were shaking like a leaf!
<Skyleaf> Um, yeah, maybe I don't want a story after all.... >_>
<Athena> Maybe later. I guess we should move on with the plot at least a bit for now anyway.
Athena and Azura gained support level B! Azura and Sakura gained support level C!
<Vom> %$@&ing finally.
<Athena> Oh, wait, nope, there's a paralogue open, sorry Vom. I guess Jabber and Xerneas are just going to have to wait a bit more.
<Vom> ... ... ...
<Athena> Awww, come on, there's a village in danger!
<Vom> Fiiiiine, let's go do the stupid paralogue.​

We rushed back into the real world, smack in the middle of a large group of Faceless raiding a village somewhere in central Hoshido. Unfortunately, we were a bit too late to save most of the villagers, but a lone girl armed with a giant lance had managed to survive by hiding in the woods to the south, so we quickly moved in to help her.

Vom and BB teamed up to take care of the immediate Faceless in the nearby area, aided by PMJ and occasionally healed by Skyleaf, while I hopped on the back of Subaki's pegasus to catch up with the girl as quickly as I could. We finally landed in the forest and I was able to speak with her.

<Athena> Hey, you okay?
<Aura> Hell no! I just watched my entire family and village get slaughtered by a bunch of monsters; of course I'm not okay!
<Athena> Well, um, I'm sorry we're a bit late, but we're here to help. Stay behind us and we'll take care of the rest of these Faceless for you.
<Aura> No.
<Athena> o_o;
<Aura> For my mother... for my friends... for everything those fiends took from me... I will claim vengeance. I shall fight along side you.
<Athena> Okaaay. Just, uh, please wait until the ninjas catch up to weaken these guys for you. I don't want you getting slaughtered. >_>​

Vom and BB caught up soon enough and they worked out a nice system with Aura, weakening the Faceless with their shurikens while she snuck in for the kill. We progressed through the rest of the village slowly in this manner, weakening up enemies for Aura to kill, and with each drop of vengeance, she seemed to improve more and more. Finally, she was able to take down the leader of the Faceless, and her village was... well, not saved, but avenged at least.

<Aura> So this is what killing feels like...
<Athena> Pretty terrible, isn't it? Do you have other family you could stay with?
<Aura> Hah, no, my whole family hardly left this village at all their whole lives. Everyone I've ever known is dead.
<Athena> Well, um, you could stay with us, but... we're going to be doing a lot of fighting, I don't know if you'll be safe.
<Aura> You mean more killing? Sure, I'm in! I actually thought this was pretty fun. Better than picking crops all day anyway.
<Athena> Oh, in that case, we'll be happy to have you. Grab a blade and go to town!
<Vom> Now can we go save Jabber and Xerneas?
<Athena> Back to the castle first for a break!
<Vom> *sigh*​

Current Team:

PMJ - Lv. 9 Songstress
Skyleaf - Lv. 6 Shrine Maiden
Vom - Lv. 10 Ninja
Aura - Lv. 6 Villager

Decisions:
Two separate users posting the same suggestion or a single user with 3 (non-me) Likes is the minimum for any chosen decisions to go through. Unless it's something I really like in which case screw the requirement and I'll do it anyway for lolz.

Reclassing: Everyone's favourite part! Outlined below are the characters we have available and their available reclasses. The later DLC Reclassing section talks more about the DLC reclassing options that we have. Gold grinding levels will be played to earn up funds to buy reclassing items if necessary.

Aura - Archer (Heart), DLC classes (DLC)

DLC: I have access to a few DLC chapters that unlock some things. A few of them I will not be offering because they kind of piss me off (Beach/Royal maps), but the others I will. Here's a run-down of what's available.

Before Awakening - Random kind of chapter with Chrom, Lissa, and Freddy as NPCs. Reward is one each of Exalt’s Brand (Great Lord reclass item) and Hero’s Brand (Lodestar reclass item). Played and rewards got, so no reason to do this one again.
Ghostly Gold - Standard gold grinding chapter with silly narrative justification.
Museum Melee - Everyone is suddenly on a ship participating in a contest to win cool weapons. Reward is basically whatever weapons you luck into getting from chests/drops.
Hidden Truths - As this chapter is a plot chapter that spoils some plot stuff and uses non-in-game characters, I will not be writing this chapter up if you have me play it, however I would be happy to do so if you want to use the reclass reward, which is a Fell Brand (Grandmaster reclass item, unlimited).
Vanguard Dawn - ??? Haven't actually played this one yet, so I dunno. Reward is a Vanguard Brand (Vanguard reclass item, unlimited).
Anna on the Run - ??? Haven't actually played this one yet, so I dunno. Reward is recruiting Anna, but she wasn't voted in, so we won't be using her anyway.
Ballistician Blitz - ??? Haven't actually played this one yet, so I dunno. Reward is a Sighting Lens (Ballistician reclass item, unlimited).
Witches' Trial - ??? Haven't actually played this one yet, so I dunno. Reward is a Witches Mark (Vanguard reclass item, unlimited).

Chapters can be played multiple times to unlock multiple rewards, but I will only write out a chapter for the level the first time it is played. The only exception is Hidden Truths which will not be written at all, as noted above.

More DLC chapters will become available over the next few weeks (yay Europe), so I will add them here as they become available, and note in the player notes when I do so.

DLC Reclassing: Italics indicate reclass options that are not currently available but can be gained with DLC as written above.

Dread Fighter - 2 available
Dark Flyer - 2 available

NOTE: We also get one free of either the Ballistician class OR the Witch class without playing DLC. Please vote for which you'd like!

A+ Supports and Friendship Seals: Now that we have access to supports, we can start thinking about A+ supports for Friendship Seals. (A+ Supports are one-way, so X can get A+ with Y to access Y's class, but Y can still get his own A+ support with Z so Y gets Z's class, etc.)

Most of these are already decided for us based on the characters that were chosen. The bolded options require votes for which character should be chosen. Asterisked (*) characters are those with special classes who pass down their alternate class instead of their base class.

Saizo/Vom - Ryoma/Jabber

Athena can't get A+ Supports but she can instead use a Friendship Seal with an A support with any/all female characters, so please suggest which ones should take priority. That way I know whose face to pet, etc. to get the A support sooner.

Player Notes:

So, I kinda forgot that we had Aura's paralogue unlocked, so we did that chapter today instead of recruiting Robin and TGK, much to Vom's chagrin. We'll get to them tomorrow, promise. >_> As such, this was kind of a short chapter.

Mozu's paralogue is pretty easy. The difficult part is trying to feed her levels if you plan to use her, which we are, so that was fun. I did end up dying once due to shitty placement and a couple mistakes, but it was a simple matter to pick back up again.

Vom is the start of the early game, racking up some serious kills. He can't actually one round anything without crits, but with PMJ there to donce for him, he was taking care of business just fine. He took care of the initial eastern enemies almost completely on his own and picked up a couple levels. Once we recruited Aura, Vom swapped into a support position to weaken enemies for her to finish off. I paired her up with Rinkah for a bit of bulk.

Aura's mostly doing okay, though not really in any position to be by herself at all. It'll take a bit of babying before she's effective, and probably a class change of some sort since Villager is definitely meh.

Also voting for Dread Fighter Mozu

This is definitely a powerful Mozu, but I just did it last run, so I'm not anxious to fast-track it as a reclass suggestion. :p It's not like we have a need for powerful characters anyway. So, we'll wait for others to chime in.

and Tankumi (Ballistician Takumi).

But Ballistician sucks. Not that it really matters since he'll mostly be a back-end character by virtue of being married to Athena anyway. :U

Oh and maybe pick up Warp for Azura from the DLC chapter (I think you have to wait till turn 11 to pick up the skill).

I was confused at first until I was looking at the chapter itself and I saw that grabbing a warp skill item is indeed another benefit of actually playing that chapter. The main benefit, of course, is that playing the level gives you a taste of Gaiden's absolutely wonderful map design. It's a drop from one of the late reinforcements, so yeah, we'd have to milk a while.

I definitely think I'll grab that, probably after we recruit a few more offensive people for better exp passing around. Not sure if Azura's the best use of it (she can reclass to Witch herself if she wants to get it, and I've already given her boots from the path bonus so she's at 7 mov now already anyway), but I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks for reading! Remember that everyone can (and should!) give their opinions for reclasses and other suggestions. :3

But Ballistician sucks. Not that it really matters since he'll mostly be a back-end character by virtue of being married to Athena anyway. :U
Yeah Ballistician is pretty bad, but every moody brother with a bow deserves a a beautiful war machine ^_^

And on the Mozu case, if we're not going Dread Fighter I would put her as an Archer since she's bringing in crits like crazy by the time she can promote, arguably one of my favorite Mozu builds.

With Azura I usually give her Warp since she can literally warp to any character on the map and refresh them, and you can save your boots for other units, but since your Azura already has a good movement I would probably save it for like Ryoma or a healer.

And on the Mozu case, if we're not going Dread Fighter I would put her as an Archer since she's bringing in crits like crazy by the time she can promote, arguably one of my favorite Mozu builds.

It's not that I'm specifically saying no on it, just that I'm not intrigued enough by it to fast-track it as a decision like I did for Athena and Kaden. :p Would rather see some more people join in on the decision-making process!

Might send her Dread Fighter or Archer temporarily just to get her out of the hellhole that is villager.

Alternatively, we could make her a Witch since I'll be doing the Witch level soon anyway. :p

Chapter 8: Sandy Trial by Combat

We went back to our castle for a bit of rest and relaxation. Frustrated at her lack of combat abilities in the lackluster Villager class, Aura swiped a seal from the convoy to improve her killing potential. Aura became a Dread Fighter! Once we were all squared away we popped back into the real world and headed to the Eternal Stairway.

<Athena> You know, we seem to travel almost effortless to and from most places in this world... but they make us climb these stupid stairs manually? Seriously?
<PMJ> They need to give the world at least some realism.
<Athena> Climbing a million miles of stairs isn't what I would consider to be "realism".
<BB> Shhhh!
<Athena> Sorry, we'll stop making fun of the game now. >_>
<BB> No, that's not it, I heard people approaching.
<Faceless> *graugh!*
<Skyleaf> Eeek! :<
<Vom> Huh, they're usually not this stealthy.
<BB> Quick, to battle!
<Vom> *shuriken!*
<Athena> *sword!*
<PMJ> *donce!*
<Athena> Wait, this is weird... if this is a battle, why is it still a cutscene? Shouldn't we have moved onto the battle prep screen by now?
<BB> Wait a minute, you're right, something's wrong...
<Mozu> It was people all along!
<PMJ> Oh, yes, hmm, these corpses appear to be wearing the clothing of the Wind Tribe.
<Athena> But, but... they were Faceless just a moment ago...
<Iago> *appears* Mwahahahahaha!! My illusion magic deceived you into killing these villagers!
<Athena> But... why would you do that? o_o;
<Iago> *shrugs* Felt like it. *disappears*
<Vom> Wow, what a ^&$%.
<PMJ> Looks like we're going to have a fun time trying to negotiate our way through the Wind Tribe's territory.
<Athena> Well, sneaking about will only make us look suspicious. Let's go.​

We finished climbing the rest of the stairs, which conveniently happened to end right on the edge of the Wind Tribe's territory. I had planned on heading right in to speak to their leader, but it seemed as if our plan was anticipated, as we were immediately greeted by 2 different Wind Tribe members upon our arrival.

<WindTribeGuy> Hey! It's them! The ones that killed our dudes!
<Athena> Wait, how do you know?
<WindTribeDude> It doesn't matter, we're going to kill you anyway!
<Skyleaf> Look, I know we attacked your friends, but it wasn't our fault! Please forgive us.
<WindTribeGuy> Wait, it's Princess Skyleaf! And Princess PMJ!
<WindTribeDude> Maybe we should let Chief Fuga decide. Trial by combat!
<Athena> *sigh* Everyone, prepare for battle, I guess.​

Meanwhile, over to the western side of the Wind Tribe territory, about a dozen squares away or so...

<Hinoka> What's going on here? o_o;
<Robin> Oh ho, it looks like a battle!
<Setsuna> Oh, bummer...
<Robin> Setsuna, you're sinking in quicksand again.
<Setsuna> Wow... am I going to die...
<Robin> Probably. But your spirit will live on in our memories!
<Hinoka> Oh, geez, I have the most useless retainers. -_-; I ought to just fly away and leave you both in the sand....
<Athena> WTF is Hinoka doing here? *flies over with Subaki's peg* WTF are you doing here? I thought you were in the capital doing, uh, something.
<Hinoka> Yeah, but I thought I'd fly out to hang out with Jabber and Xerneas. I mean, they're my bros and all.
<Athena> Well, I hate to break it to you, but I have some bad news... Vom says they've gone missing.
<Hinoka> Oh, geez. -_-;
<Athena> We're trying to figure out what's going on, but we've also run into some problems of our own.
<Hinoka> Looks like you'll need me to help bail you out. My retainers might even be a bit useful too, so feel free to put them to work. The stoned one is Setsuna, and the spiky-hair is Robin.
<Robin> A pleasure to meet you!​

We slowly began moving in towards Fuga, carefully battling the Wind Tribe soldiers along the way. We didn't want to slaughter them--after all, they're not our enemies--but we needed to progress through the village quickly and confidently to prove ourselves to Fuga. For some reason.

I let Aura take the lead to soak up some experience and get used to her new class, though Vom also helped out as necessary. Robin and Skyleaf shared healing duties and kept everyone refreshed and ready for battle. It wasn't long before we made our way to Fuga himself. Vom and Aura teamed up to take him down, and finally the battle was won.

<Fuga> Bwahahahaha, well done! You really fight like a warrior worthy of the Yato that you carry.
<Athena> Ohhey, you know about the Yato?
<Fuga> Of course I do, after all, I wouldn't be a proper enigmatic NPC without having secret knowledge of legendary weapons. Besides, Sumeragi was my BFF.
<Athena> Oh, neat! Anything else you can tell me about it?
<Fuga> Hmm... let's see what plot-related tidbits I can share... oh, yes, did you know that the Yato has the power to link to the Seal of Flames?
<Athena> The Seal of Flames? What is that, some kind of fire emblem?
<Fuga> Something like that. In the wrong hands, it has the power to destroy the world... which is why I needed to test you in battle.
<Athena> You mean... this whole battle was just a test?
<Fuga> Yep. I already knew you didn't mean us harm and that you were tricked into killing those dudes. Also, it's been a while since I've had a good fight.
<Athena> Well, um, thanks for believing in us I guess.
<Fuga> Happy to be of service! In fact, I'd like to lend one of my men to your cause, if you have no objection.
<Athena> Not at all! We can use every fighter we can get.
<Fuga> In that case.... TGK, come over here!
<TGK> *runs up* Hey guys, 'sup?
<Fuga> This is TGK. He's a talented magic user but he lacks, um, real world experience.
<Athena> I thought you said you'd be lending us a man, but...
<Fuga> Bwahahahahaha, don't judge him by his, ah, youthful appearance. I assure you that he is gifted and will serve your army well.
<Athena> Well, we're happy to have you on board, TGK. ^_^ We could use some magic damage.
<TGK> Yay, I get to go on a trip! \o/
<Athena> Wait a minute...
<TGK> Come on, let's go! I'm so excited!
<Athena> Oh boy...​

Current Team:

PMJ - Lv. 11 Songstress
Skyleaf - Lv. 7 Shrine Maiden
Vom - Lv. 11 Ninja
Aura - Lv. 11 Dread Fighter
Robin - Lv. 7 Monk
TGK - Lv. 1 Diviner

Decisions:

Aura - Villager (Heart), Archer (Heart), DLC classes (DLC)
Robin - Apothecary (Heart), DLC classes (DLC)
TGK - Oni Savage (Heart), DLC classes (DLC)

Dread Fighter - 1 available
Dark Flyer - 2 available

A+ Supports and Friendship Seals: Now that we have access to supports, we can start thinking about A+ supports for Friendship Seals. (A+ Supports are one-way, so X can get A+ with Y to access Y's class, but Y can still get his own A+ support with Z so Y gets Z's class, etc.). Most of these are already decided for us based on the characters that were chosen. The bolded options require votes for which character should be chosen. Asterisked (*) characters are those with special classes who pass down their alternate class instead of their base class.

Saizo/Vom - Ryoma/Jabber

Skills: I've got a Paragon skill to give out (doubles exp gains), and I'll probably gain some more over the next coming chapters, so feel free to suggest units to get them!

Player Notes:

After some discussion with NotJim, I ended up just tossing Aura into Dread Fighter for now. It's what Xerneas suggested first anyway. :p With a Rinkah pair-up, she was able to do a respectable amount of damage and really catch up on levels, so by the end of the chapter our team was more or less evened out.

The chapter itself is a fairly simple one. Of the 3 times you fight Fuga, this chapter is definitely the easiest of the bunch, just a slow slog through some sand. I bee-lined to recruit Hinoka, Robin, and Setsuna right away to control exp gains and so I wouldn't have to worry about them suiciding.

Robin is a Monk, which is the female version of Skyleaf's Shrine Maiden. He's bulkier and less magical than she is, but he serves well, and has a really great character. He made an amazing Great Master during my last BR run.

We don't actually get to use TGK yet since he joins right at the end of the chapter. Sadly, he comes in at lv. 1, so I might spend a bit of time grinding him up just so he's not as much of a liability. At least his personal skill comes in handy in terms of catching up.

As always, thanks for reading, and make sure to make some suggestions for our characters and other decisions! <3

Chapter 9: Saving Archduke Izana + Bonbons

With our latest battle behind us, we popped back over to our castle for some most rest and relaxation. Man, I can't even imagine trying to fight a war without your own personal pocket dimension available for shopping and treehouse fun. While showing TGK around, he got really excited at our expanded inventory and asked very nicely if he could use a spare Fell Brand to reclass, so I gave him to him. TGK has reclassed into Grandmaster!

While that was going on, PMJ was wandering about, checking out the buildings, when she began to have the strange feeling that she was being watched...

<PMJ> ...
<PMJ> ...
<PMJ> ... ... ...
<PMJ> *sigh* Vom, will you stop stalking me from behind that tree and come over here.
<Vom> Very well. I guess I might as well come out and say it.
<PMJ> Say what?
<Vom> I don't trust you.
<PMJ> Oh, is that all? I already knew that.
<Vom> Really? And you never said anything?
<PMJ> *shrugs* I'm aware of my unique situation. You aren't the only one who mistrusts me, I'm sure.
<Vom> Very well. Be warned that I am watching you, and if you ever step out of line...
<PMJ> Yes, I understand.
PMJ and Vom attained support level C!
<Vom> Wait, how is that a support? I don't want to be supporting some chick I can't even trust. >:|
<PMJ> *shrugs*​

Finally, after what felt like a very long time, we began to prepare to move on. I was able to build a Smithy to forge some weapons for our group, including Shuriken for Aura and Vom, Naginata for PMJ and me, and a fancy scroll for TGK. Then, we were off, deftly teleporting back to the edge of the Wind Tribe territory and working our way closer to Izumo, the city where Jabber and Xerneas had been heading.

<PMJ> And here we are, Izumo.
<Athena> Wow, that was fast. This is a pretty beautiful land.
<Aura> So, um, what's this Izumo place, anyway?
<TGK> Izumo is another country in the realm of Fateslandia, just like Hoshido. It is sometimes called the Kingdom of the Gods, and is mostly famous for being eternally neutral in all conflicts.
<BorderGuard> Ohhey, it's Hoshidans, 'sup?
<PMJ> We're looking for some companions of ours who may have come through. May we enter?
<BorderGuard> Of course, Lady PMJ, you are always welcome here. I will notify the palace of your arrival.
<PMJ> Thank you kindly.
<Vom> Have you seen or heard any word of Lords Jabber or Xerneas? They were involved in a battle near your border recently.
<BorderGuard> A battle near here? No, I think not. We've been neutral for centuries; no fighting would have taken place near or on our territory.
<Athena> Oh, that's... odd.
<Vom> ... ... ...
<BorderGuard> Please, come with me.
<Athena> >_>
<PMJ> <_<​

Despite my strange, foreboding feelings about the situation, we had little choice but to follow the guard. He led us to the castle and left us to wait in a receiving room where we were eventually greeted by....

<Izana> I am Izana. yes, THE Izana!
<Everyone> ... ... ... o_o;
<Izana> Archduke Izana at your service. *bows* Voted best hair in Izumo five years running!
<Athena> He's, uh, not exactly what I expected...
<Izana> Come, grab some slippers and join me in back for a delicious feast, would you? :3
<PMJ> Um, before that... do you know anything of a recent battle in the vicinity?
<Izana> Battle? Of course there have been no battles here! Though, I do see you all look a little worse for the wear. Perhaps a spa visit would be in order before the meal?
<Skyleaf> Oh, that sounds heavenly...
<Vom> ... ... ...
<Athena> I suppose we could use some relaxing...
<Izana> I have the most prefect deep relaxation spa for you and Lady Skyleaf. Please, follow me!​

Skyleaf and I look at each other, shrugged, then followed the man with the long, flowing hair deeper into the castle and towards his "deep relaxation spa", a strangely dark room with... spears and swords on the wall?

<Skyleaf> Ummm... are you sure this is the spa?
<Izana> Well, maybe that's not exactly what it's called, but I assure you that you will be able to relax forever... WHEN YOU'RE DEAD! Bwahahahahahaha!!
<Skyleaf> Eeek! *hides behind Athena*
<Athena> Wait a minute... what's going on here?
<Zola> Oh, and I'm not actually Izana either. *poof* I'm Garon's illusionist, Zora, heehee!
<Athena> What have you done with Izana?
<Zola> Why should you care? Guy is a weirdo. Besides, you're going to die here anyway, so...​

A contingent of Nohrian soldiers materialized behind Zora. They began to close in, but then suddenly.... some of them started attacking the other ones?

<Zola> What are you fools doing? >_<
<Vom> *pops out of Nohrian costume* No fools here, just ninja.
<Mozu> *waves* You guys doing alright?
<Zola> Grrrr, how did you know I wasn't Izana?
<PMJ> Come on, you don't expect us to believe that the real Archduke would act like that.
<Zola> But but... oh, these fools. Men, take them out!​

More soldiers began to emerge from the surrounding area and battle was upon us. We broke out of the "spa" room and began to battle soldiers down the left and right hallways, trying to work our way up to Zola. It wasn't long, however, before I heard the sounds of some other coming from behind us...

<Palutena> What's going on here? Fighting? I thought Izumo was neutral?
<Hinata> *shrugs* You see Lord Xerneas anywhere?
<Palatuna> Sadly, no. *sigh* I wish you were the one missing so I could be along with Lord Xerneas...
<Hinata> Unlucky for you, I suppose. At least it looks like we get to beat down a few Nohrians!
<Palutena> Die Nohrian Scum! *stab!*
<Athena> *block!* Hold up there, I'm with Hoshido! >_<
<Palutena> Oh? Who are you?
<Athena> It's a long story, but my name is Athena. Who are you?
<Palutena> I'm Palutena, one of Lord Xernea's retainers. The other one is that guy pickign his nose over there, Hinata.
<Athena> Do you know where Xerneas is?
<Palutena> Nope, we came here hoping to find him. You don't know where he is either?
<Athena> We're working on finding him now. Want to come help us out?
<Palutena> Sure! Hey Hinata, we're fighting with these guys now!
<Hinata> lolkay.​

Meanwhile, the others were steadily working their way forward. TGK took the lead, trying to earn up as much exp as possible by running forward to take out the most guys. He happened to spot an Outlaw heading towards a chest and ended up even further ahead trying to head him off. Elsewhere, Aura and Vom were working to clean up the other soldiers left behind, including a row on heavily armoured knights. Vom happened to spot another thief and caught up to him, taking his life as well as the goods he pilfered.

Palutena and I hurried to catch up and ended up getting caught in a mess of reinforcements. We took care of them, and soon Robin and Skyleaf were nearby to heal us up. More reinforcements continued to pour in and Aura and PMJ came back to help us out while Vom and TGK took care of the north.

Eventually we had cleaned most of the enemies up except for Zola sittign smugly on his boss throne. Vom and TGK went together to take him out, and TGK took a crit in the face and we had to restart and they successfully KOed him and the chapter was done and we all sang and danced and ate cupcakes.

<Athena> So, now that we've tortured you by eating these delicious cupcakes in front of you, tell us where the real Archduke Izana is!
<Zola> Never! *smokescreen*
<DoS> *rides in on his horse like a badass* You trying that same old smokescreen diversion, Zola?
<Zola> Oh, Master DoS, so pleasant to see you, milord... *grovels*
<DoS> Not only have you failed in your mission, but you're a terrible human being. >:|
<Zola> :<
<Athena> DoS! What are you going to do to him?
<DoS> Kill him, obvs.
<Athena> You can't do that!
<DoS> Who are you to tell me what I can and can't do, traitor? But if you value his life so much, you can have it. I'm done with this popsicle stand. *rides off into the sunset*
<Athena> DoS! D:
<Vom> Wow, what a &*%#.
<Athena> He's changed. :\​

Regardless, we were able to find Izana in the Izumo dungeons and free him.

<Izana> Yay, thank you for saving me! Let's have a feast to celebrate! No, even better, let's have an all-night party with cute pajamas and bonbons! :D
<PMJ> I... I guess Zola's impression of him was pretty good after all. o_o;
<Athena> So, um, Archduke Izana, are you aware of any recent battles in the vicinity?
<Izana> Oh, yes, those stupid Nohrians are such a bunch of party poopers. I invited them in for a celebration, and next thing you know I'm being kidnapped in my silk pajamas!
<Aura> Oh dear, that's awful. :<
<Skyleaf> Ummm... have you heard anything about my brothers?
<Izana> Jabber and Xerneas, yes? I've heard OF them, of course, but I haven't seen them around at all recently. Perhaps some fortune telling would help?
<Athena> It can't hurt at least.
<Izana> Excellent! *grabs crystal ball*
<Izana> Oh Ancient Gods... 'sup?
<Everyone> *facepalm*
<Izana> In the white light, a hand reaches through... A double edged blade cuts your heart in two... waking dreams fade away... Embrace the brand-new day...
<PMJ> Can it be? :O
<Athena> >_>?
<Izumo> Ope, I guess that's it, they're gone now.
<Skyleaf> That... wasn't very helpful. ._.;
<Izana> *shrugs* I don't make the fortunes, I just tell them. But I do think your brothers are doing just fine right now.
<Everyone> Hurray! \o/
<Izana> Now, about that all-night party.... :3
<Vom> We really should be going...
<Athena> Nope, it's party time!
<Izana> Hurray! \o/​

And so we had an excellent awesome party with Izana and he got nice pajamas for everyone and there was tonnes of food (especially bonbons) and everyone had fun except for Vom who was mostly pissed that we were hanging out and partying instead of saving Jabber and Xerneas. But I didn't really care what he thinks because I know they're PCs so they'll be just fine.

Later that night, I had a hard time sleeping, so I went wandering around the castle grounds for a bit and I met up with PMJ.

<Athena> Hey PMJ, 'sup? Can't sleep?
<PMJ> I keep thinking about Izana's fortune...
<Athena> What about it?
<PMJ> Those words... they're from a song that my mother used to sing to me when I was a child. It's an ancient song.
<Athena> So, he probably just knows the same song as your mom, right?
<PMJ> Well, if it were another song, I'd say it's just a coincidence, but the lyrics almost seem to be talking directly to you.
<Athena> Me? o_o;
<PMJ> Well, you ARE the main character. Anyway, let's get some sleep.
<Athena> Alright then...​

Current Team:

PMJ - Lv. 12 Songstress
Skyleaf - Lv. 8 Shrine Maiden
Vom - Lv. 11 Ninja
Aura - Lv. 12 Dread Fighter
Robin - Lv. 8 Monk
TGK - Lv. 7 Grandmaster
Palutena - Lv. 11 Spear Master

Decisions:

Aura - Villager (Heart), Archer (Heart), DLC classes (DLC)
Robin - Apothecary (Heart), DLC classes (DLC)
TGK - Diviner (Heart), Oni Savage (Heart), DLC classes (DLC)
Palutena - Apothecary (Heart), DLC classes (DLC)

Dread Fighter - 1 available
Dark Flyer - 2 available

A+ Supports and Friendship Seals: Now that we have access to supports, we can start thinking about A+ supports for Friendship Seals. (A+ Supports are one-way, so X can get A+ with Y to access Y's class, but Y can still get his own A+ support with Z so Y gets Z's class, etc.). Most of these are already decided for us based on the characters that were chosen. The bolded options require votes for which character should be chosen. Asterisked (*) characters are those with special classes who pass down their alternate class instead of their base class.

Saizo/Vom - Ryoma/Jabber

Skills: I've got a Paragon skill to give out (doubles exp gains), and I'll probably gain some more over the next coming chapters, so feel free to suggest units to get them!

Player Notes:

And the journey to fill up our roster with DLC classes continues as TGK grabs a Grandmaster reclass. Doesn't he look like a cute little Morgan? It gives him a huge boost both to his stats, especially defensively, which means I was basically able to just toss him into the front lines. Funnily enough, his Str is higher than his Mag, so I gave him a Raider Katana, too, which ended up coming in handy when it came time to give him the boss kill.

Speaking of which, he did indeed eat a crit from the boss forcing me to restart. *shakes fist*

Otherwise, the level is fairly easy. Palutena joins us at Lv. 10 and is basically just ready to toss in and go. She was a bit slow with her starting Steel Nagi, but otherwise a pretty effective unit, especially when I had PMJ sing for her to give her that extra oomph of a Skl/Spd boost. I'll forge her an Iron Nagi and fix up her inventory a bit before starting tomorrow.

Also, Izana is one of the best characters in the game and I love him. I don't even need to rewrite what he says, just shorten it a bit. One of these days, I'm actually going to marry him.

Now that we've got a decent amount of units, I'll probably try the Witch level tomorrow if I have the time. Then we'll be back on to the main game where we'll be picking up both Xerneas (mid-chapter) and Jesi (end of the chapter) for a very nice offensive boost. Maybe soon I'll be able to pair up actual couples instead of just filler. :p

Thanks for reading, and definitely be sure to toss some suggestions in! <3

I know we're not promoting anytime soon, but I'd like to vote for Basara Oboro for that fashionable tiger print ^_^

Yeah, with all the exp flying around, I'll probably get as close to 20 as I can.

Back