Collecting "How Much is This Card Worth?" / "Is This a Good Trade?"

Jungletoad

Aspiring Trainer
Hi there Pokebeach.

Im new to this site, and the reason for me joining is because I've come by my pokemon collection from early days (Est. 1999-2002).
Back when I was a kid I had a pretty decent collection of cards, varying from some Base collection 1st to Shining edition cards.

I'd love for you guys to take a look at them to judge their condition, and hopefully price, if that is doable from pictures only.

Well, it's kind of hard to tell the exact value by looking at the front of the card only. But if they look half-decent on the back you could probably sell them to a low budget collector on eBay or something. You could probably get anywhere from 15-20$ for the shining cards, except the Magikarp which is worth less (because of the condition).

The Feraligatr (Neo Genesis) could probably go for around 5-10$, the Umbreon (Neo Discovery) might be somewhere around 15$, and the Raikou (Neo Revelation) is probably less than 5$ because of the bad condition. I have no idea about the Gyarados because of the foreign language, but the Light Azumarill is (Neo Destiny) is probably around 3$.

The Machamp (base 1st edition) is probably worth more because it's apparently the last print run (8th) of the base set. I had some trouble finding info on the exact price, but let's just say that it's probably worth a lot more than the usual Machamp (which also were 1st eds in most cases).

The Mewtwo is not a fake, but from a reprint set called Base Set 2. This set contains cards from the Base Set and Jungle expansions, and as far as I know these cards are worth less than the versions from their original set, and yours is probably worth around 5$.

All of these values are for cards that are average conditions, which means that they might be worth less if they look awful on the back side. But judging from your pictures they look alright, and could probably be sold easily on eBay as a lot.

Last edited:

Kenneth

Aspiring Trainer
Well, it's kind of hard to tell the exact value by looking at the front of the card only. But if they look half-decent on the back you could probably sell them to a low budget collector on eBay or something. You could probably get anywhere from 15-20$ for the shining cards, except the Magikarp which is worth less (because of the condition).

The Feraligatr (Neo Genesis) could probably go for around 5-10$, the Umbreon (Neo Discovery) might be somewhere around 15$, and the Raikou (Neo Revelation) is probably less than 5$ because of the bad condition. I have no idea about the Gyarados because of the foreign language, but the Light Azumarill is (Neo Destiny) is probably around 3$.

The Machamp (Base Set 1st Edition) isn't very rare, because all base set Machamps are 1st editions, except the ones found in a starter deck, which are unlimited and more elusive. It's probably worth somewhere around 10$ I'd guess.

The Mewtwo is not a fake, but from a reprint set called Base Set 2. This set contains cards from the Base Set and Jungle expansions, and as far as I know these cards are worth less than the versions from their original set, and yours is probably worth around 5$.

All of these values are for cards that are average conditions, which means that they might be worth less if they look awful on the back side. But judging from your pictures they look alright, and could probably be sold easily on eBay as a lot.

Thank you!

The front of the cards is very representative of the back, weared front = weared back.

So if I understand correctly, selling it all in a bulk would be the best in this situation.
In that case I got about 60 more cards, some of which are mint and some which are well worn.

Would you recommend selling it all at once ?

Jungletoad

Aspiring Trainer
Thank you!

The front of the cards is very representative of the back, weared front = weared back.

So if I understand correctly, selling it all in a bulk would be the best in this situation.
In that case I got about 60 more cards, some of which are mint and some which are well worn.

Would you recommend selling it all at once ?

If you have like 60 more cards, you could sell them as bulk, the shinings would probably be easy to sell as a bundle etc.

Doesn't seem like my post got edited, but the Machamp seems to be a bit more rare than the usual version, because it's the last print run of the base set (1999-2000). I really don't know how much it's worth, so I'd hang onto it until someone with more knowledge than me can tell you the exact value.

Dimaggio88

Aspiring Trainer
Hello all,

I recently pulled out my old Pokemon cards with the intent to sell any that may be of value. I came across a Ninetales card of mine that I can't seem to find any history on of previous sales. I noticed the background is unique to the other Ninetales cards out there and was wondering if this made it rare/higher value?

I don't have much knowledge about Pokemon cards and was hoping someone may be able to help answer whether or not it's rare and how much it may be worth.

Thanks in advance,

Scott

Attachments

• Ninetales.jpg
    Ninetales.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 24

Jungletoad

Aspiring Trainer
Hello all,

I recently pulled out my old Pokemon cards with the intent to sell any that may be of value. I came across a Ninetales card of mine that I can't seem to find any history on of previous sales. I noticed the background is unique to the other Ninetales cards out there and was wondering if this made it rare/higher value?

From what I can tell it actually looks like a fake card. I've never seen one of these that are legit, and the non-holo version is not part of any set. It doesn't have a set symbol either, which makes me think it's a counterfeit of the Ninetales card from the original base set. Instead of going through the hassle of printing a holographic card, the people faking it probably switched out the background to save money.

Ulrika96

Aspiring Trainer
I have a Clefable (rare) 17/64. No symbol, but clearly from the jungle collection. I was trying to search the internet to find the value of this card but I either ended up with the same Clefable WITH a symbol, or a holo Clefable without a symbol. (Mine is a regular card)
If anybody know anything please tell!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 37

Athena

The Cooler Danchou
Advanced Member
I can't speak much about the value for that particular Clefable error card in general, but that particular card has lots of wear and damage, which lowers the value greatly. Like regular cards, misprint/error cards only retain their value if they're kept in good condition.

tom123

Aspiring Trainer
just wondering are these cards worth anything?

this didnt upload at first.

20160426_213233.jpg

Attachments

• 20160426_213327.jpg
    20160426_213327.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 32
Last edited by a moderator:

Athena

The Cooler Danchou
Advanced Member
Unfortunately, those are both fake cards, so they are not worth anything. Sorry!

Kenneth

Aspiring Trainer
Like regular cards, misprint/error cards only retain their value if they're kept in good condition.

This goes for all collectables.
For many collector it's better to get a well worn or damaged item than not have the item at all.

About that, is there anyone here who specializes in Base Set 1 cards who could tell me more about my Machamp 1st Edition 1999-2000 Wizard and possibly its value ? :)

Top-right:
- http://imgur.com/pJmgh8B

Snowy

❄️グレイシア❄️
I'm grading some Full Art Glaceon EX cards. I believe all of them should come back at least Mint 9. How much would Mint 9 and Gem Mint 10 be worth?

Jungletoad

Aspiring Trainer
I'm grading some Full Art Glaceon EX cards. I believe all of them should come back at least Mint 9. How much would Mint 9 and Gem Mint 10 be worth?

Probably around 30-40 USD for a PSA 9 version, I believe that a PSA 10 version could be worth somewhere around 60 USD... ?

A bit hard to determine the value, because the set it's part of just came out. You'll probably have to wait a couple of weeks before other people start selling theirs on Ebay etc.

Glaceon isn't an extremely (It has it's fans, I know) Pokemon, so don't expect it to be worth that much.

Materious17

Pokemon Geologist
So I bought 2 booster boxes of Fates Collide today, and I pulled a FA Team Rocket's Handiwork from the first box. That was neat and all, but then I pulled a second one for the second box. But now there was a difference, the 2nd one I pulled is a lighter color. Throughout the entire card, the colors seem more washed out, (its really noticeable with the team rocket uniforms.

I looked through the rest of my UR pulls from that box and they all were washed out colors for the most part, the 2 Diancie EX I pulled from either box were different shades of pink. I'm not sure how much this qualifies as a misprint, but the entire box was this way, with cards not just UR's.

Here is a picture of the Team Rocket's Handiwork FA's side by side. The one on the left is the supposed misprint from my 2nd box.
9ZgMXrY.jpg

Purrloin

So I bought 2 booster boxes of Fates Collide today, and I pulled a FA Team Rocket's Handiwork from the first box. That was neat and all, but then I pulled a second one for the second box. But now there was a difference, the 2nd one I pulled is a lighter color. Throughout the entire card, the colors seem more washed out, (its really noticeable with the team rocket uniforms.

I looked through the rest of my UR pulls from that box and they all were washed out colors for the most part, the 2 Diancie EX I pulled from either box were different shades of pink. I'm not sure how much this qualifies as a misprint, but the entire box was this way, with cards not just UR's.

Here is a picture of the Team Rocket's Handiwork FA's side by side. The one on the left is the supposed misprint from my 2nd box.
That's a bummer. I have some washed-out cards as well: one of my Shauna's from Fates Collide is very light; I also got a Zygarde 10% that had more of a grey-ish colored body than its typical black body. Not sure how widespread this is, but of my entire box I can only see a difference in these two cards, so hopefully it's rare. I don't have any duplicate URs to compare though. :/

camohunter19

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
So I recently pulled a lighter-colored reverse holo Vullaby, the image is posted below.

13148223_834424643354914_1408719630_o.jpg

(It's the one on the right, I know it's kinda hard to tell)

Anyways, I was wondering if anyone knows how this happens, whether there is a market for it, and if there is, how much it is worth (my guess is at most, $1)

If extra pictures are needed, just let me know. I know this isn't the best picture.

Last edited:

Johto King

A typhlosion fan
The other day I pulled something interesting from a Plasma Blast pack. It was a Druddigon with somthing across the top. It is a bumpy pattern that is on the front and back, and the bumps are actually in the card, you can feel the texture.Here are the pics
front.jpg back.jpg
Is it worth anything?

Celty

Somebody you used to know
@Johto King - That's called a crimped card, sometimes when a booster pack is being sealed it may accidently catch a card and that is the result. As for price, some collectors view it as damaged and thus worthless; yet others consider it a misprint and are willing to pay more for it, however since its a common card I don't expect it being worth more than a couple bucks.

Materious17

Pokemon Geologist
The other day I pulled something interesting from a Plasma Blast pack. It was a Druddigon with somthing across the top. It is a bumpy pattern that is on the front and back, and the bumps are actually in the card, you can feel the texture.Here are the pics
Is it worth anything?

I got one of those as well, funnily enough it was in the same booster box where most of the cards had washed out colors. The booster that these came from in the sealed booster box was already opened (the booster pack was never sealed properly, probably because these cards got in the way and were crimped).

NT6RFg6.jpg

The-Kaiser

Starfleet Captain and Pokemon Trainer
I found a unopened B/W Base Sample pack with some cards i had in a tin since 2011 was wondering whats it worth left unopened.