Writing Athena Plays Fire Emblem: Blazing Sword - Final Chapter & Epilogue

And I'm too lazy to read it over to find it myself so I guess we'll just have to deal with it. :p

Chapter 25: TGK leads us on a pointless detour

<Green> Alright, so, the object we need to find for this queen chick is called... the Fire Emblem.
<NotJim> That sounds like it's probably a very important thing!
<Athena> Being the title of the game series and all, yes, I'd agree with you.
<BB> So, do we have any leads?
<TGK> According to some totally legitimate information I was given by a perfect stranger whom I have no reason to trust, there were some shady-looking people that fled the castle and headed south to this swampy foresty area.
<Green> Perfect! Let's go. :3
<Luis> ... I have a bad feeling about this.​

Meanwhile, in some dank dungeon...

<Sonia> So, you're the crazed ex-Fang member that was locked up in this cell with no allowed human contact because you like to indiscriminately slaughter everyone in your path, correct?
<Pascal> Yep, that's me. Ex-Count Pascal Grentzer at your service, milady.
<Sonia> Excellent! I have the perfect job for you...​

Our little army finally made its way south to the area where our contact had indicated the thief of the Fire Emblem might be hiding.

<Jabber> I guess this is it then. What a... lovely place.
<Cypher> Yeah, this whole area is filled with bogs and forests. There used to be some old military forts here, but they were abandoned.
<Robin> Hmmm, that sounds like a perfect place for a group of thieves to possibly hide out.
<BB> Do you guys really think the Fire Emblem could be here?
<Green> Well, I think it's our best bet for now.
<Celever> Uhh.... guys? We're completely surrounded by enemies.
<Everyone> Ohshi-
<Green> Alright everyone, split up. We need to kill these dudes and check out those forts!​

One fort and a bunch of enemies were to the north east directly beyond a huge body of water, so I sent Robin and Cypher to fly over and take care of it. BB, NotJim, SM, Luis, and Vom took the western path to the second fort, while everyone else followed the one dry patch of land north.

The enemies flew at us with suicidal speed. Even the bosses protecting the forts rushed forward from their protective gates to engage in battle. Their leader, Pascal, charged down directly at Raven who sliced him up cleanly with a Halberd. Other enemies went down just as quickly, but reinforcements kept pouring in. Combined with the difficult terrain, progress was slow.

To the southeast, SM and NotJim stayed behind to check out the fort while the others began the trek north through the forest. BB and Vom had a short conversation during the journey.

<BB> Wow, there really are a lot of enemies in this swamp. Thanks for watching my back, Vom.
<Vom> Don't mention it.
<BB> You know, I've been meaning to ask you... are you always so quiet?
<Vom> o_o?
<BB> I feel like I have to fight to get you to say more than a few words in a row. And you don't smile, either. Are you... are you mad at me or something? For dragging you into this?
<Vom> Nope.
<BB> So... why are you so quiet then?
<Vom> *shrugs*
<BB> Oh, well... alright then.​

To the east, Cypher and Robin had visited a village, checked the fort, and were clearing up enemy mages when they spotted an NPC Pegasus Knight fly into battle. It seemed to avoid any potential skirmish and was instead headed straight for Green. It turns out, the PK, Farina, was a mercenary looking for work. Green and I decided to hire her on. Shortly after, we finished up the rest of the enemies and stormed the last fort.

<Green> Well... not a single sign of thieves or the Fire Emblem.
<TGK> Man, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to lead you guys on...
<Skyleaf> Clearly this was a trap for us set by the Black Fang. They must have picked TGK as the one to take the information since he looks the most gullible.
<TGK> Oh, beautiful Princess Skyleaf, you're breaking my heart... </3
<BB> So, what now?
<Athena> *shrug* Let's head back to civilization and look for any further clues. And someone keep an eyue on TGK.​

Current Team!

Lord Green
- Lv. 18 Lord
Lord NotJim - Lv. 20 Lord
Luis - Lv. 3 Sage
Skyleaf - Lv. 6 Valkyrie
BB - Lv. 20 Lord
TGK - Lv. 7 Paladin
Robin - Lv. 7 Falcoknight
Jabber - Lv. 6 Hero
PP - Lv. 5 Bishop
SM - Lv. 15 Dancer
Cypher - Lv. 5 Wyvern Lord
Vom - Lv. 4 Nomad Trooper

Player Notes

Yay for suicidal reinforcements! \o/ This was a pretty easy chapter that was mostly long to play due to tonnes of reinforcements and difficult terrain. Despite making fun of him in the plot, TGK gets the MVP prize this level for tanking a whole slew of Cavaliers rushing at him and Ballistae shooting at him, despite me equipping him with the wrong weapon. He survived the round with 6hp.

Otherwise, not much else to speak of. BB hit Lv. 20 because she also got rushed, though not a single enemy had a chance to hit her (literally; their hit percentages were o). Robin and Cypher got a decent amount of EXP since they took the whole eastern side to themselves, though there weren't many enemies there.

I wasn't planning on recruiting Farina, but @NotJim convinced me to. So, I effectively spent 20k for a Killer Lance, Javelin, and Vulnerary. Thanks, NotJim.

Next chapter will give us our first Heaven Seal, so NotJim can finally promote and sprout a horse out of his ass. Stay tuned for our next chapter this Monday! <3

Their leader, Pascal, charged down directly at Raven who sliced him up cleanly with a Halberd.
tumblr_ncdi6xtMYp1tjrgk5o1_500.gif
Athena said:
<Skyleaf> Clearly this was a trap for us set by the Black Fang. They must have picked TGK as the one to take the information since he looks the most gullible.
<TGK> Oh, beautiful Princess Skyleaf, you're breaking my heart... </3
I'm sorry, TGK! That came out wrong!! D: Gullibility can be a good thing at times!!

Chapter 26: ITC: NotJim poops out a horse or something, I don't know, how else did it get there

Without any real leads, we decided to head in the direction of the Bern Castle to look for potential clues. The thieves might have left some kind of evidence at the crime scene, or they might have been spotted by someone. We headed for the north east and began the arduous trek up the mountains to the castle's location.

<Green> *huff*puff* Geez, why is there castle all the way up in the mountains? This is killing me.
<Cypher> The Bernese army is primarily made up of wyvern riders, so the mountainous location gives us a strong advantage against anyone who wants to attack us.
<Jabber> Hell, you don't even need formal sentries; the palace guards can just look out the window and see if anyone's coming. I've never seen a place more defensible.
<PP> And yet someone managed to steal Bern's most prized treasure from this very location.
<BB> Huh. Do you think the king really could be behind the theft? I can't imagine a regular old thief getting away with a crime of that magnitude.
<NotJim> No, I still don't think the queen's accusation of him has a strong enough basis to it. Why would the king of Bern steal his own treasure? It sounds too much like a conspiracy theory.
<Green> Well, what's the plan going to be then?
<Athena> Well, we certainly can't go up to the front door and ask to look around, but if we sneak in...
<Green> Perfect! I love the way you think, Athena.
<Athena> Just everyone make sure to be very careful not to get caught.
<Luis> Hmmm, I think we can sneak over this section of the wall here...
<Skyleaf> What a pretty garden!
<Athena> Ohshi- someone's coming!
<Robin> Eeep! *hides behind Green*
<Vom> Quick, everyone, hide in this giant bush with me!​

We (that is, all of us except Celever and SM for some reason) all piled together into a large shrubbery against the back wall of the garden. It was a tight fit, but it allowed us to see what was happening in the garden. A young blond girl was approaching an older blond boy.

<Girl> Brother! Zephy! <3
<Zephiel> Hullo there, Guinevere. How are you feeling?
<Guinevere> Oh, I'm okay. But if you came to visit me every day I'd be even better! :D
<Zephiel> Well, I don't think I can quite manage every day, but I'll come as often as I can, how does that sound?
<Guinevere> Yay! You're the bestest. <3 <3 <3
<Desmond> *enters* Guinevere? Oh, here you are, come give daddy a kiss. <3
<Zephiel> Greetings, father.
<Desmond> *rolls eyes* What the hell do you want this time, boy?
<Zephiel> Well, you see, Murdock and I were hunting in the forest, and we found something that I thought Guinevere might like as a present...
<Guinevere> It's a baby fox!! Oh he is super super cute! :3 You are the best brother! <3 Come on, foxxy, let's go play and be friends! *runs off*
<Desmond> I thought I told you to stay away from here, boy.
<Zephiel> I beg your pardon, sir.... I heard Guinevere was ill and I wanted to see how she was faring...
<Desmond> You mean you were hoping she would die, is that it?
<Zephiel> Not at all, sir, I--
<Desmond> Pah! You and your mother are so alike, wanting nothing but to steal my throne. Get you gone!
<Zephiel> Very well, I shall return to the manse now, father. *flees*
<Desmond> That stupid boy... just looking at his dumb little face fills me with rage...
<Sonia> *enters* Actually, milord, I think that would be jealousy.
<Desmond> Sonia! So good to see you. Is the Fire Emblem safe?
<Sonia> Of course, milord. Everything is going to plan. Even if the queen does try and get it back, it's stored secretly and safely in the Fang's stronghold.
<Desmond> You remember the plan, right? Keep it for 10 days and then return it to me.
<Sonia> Of course.
<Desmond> As for our other little plot...
<Sonia> No worries, one of the Four Fangs is taking care of it as we speak. Do you think we should take our General Murdock, too? He might impede things.
<Desmond> No, no, his battle skills are much too important to the Bern Army. I'll think of something to call him away from the Zephiel's side for a bit, if that would be okay?
<Sonia> Yes I think that should be-- wait, someone's here.
<Desmond> Guinevere is coming back.
<Sonia> *sigh of relief* I should get out of here. See you later, milord. *flees*
<Guinevere> Hey, where's Zephy? :<
<Desmond> He had to leave, my little sweet.
<Guinevere> Awww... but I wanted to play with him... D:
<Desmond> You can play with me instead. :3
<Guinevere> Lolno. :3 I'm going to go find Zephy! Here, hold onto Foxxy while I hunt for him. *flees*
<Desmond> Ugh. Soldier, take this fox and kill it. I will not tolerate that boy trying to steal my precious daughter's love. *flees*
<Soldier> Yes, milord. *takes fox and flees*
<Robin> Ohgeez I've never been so scared in my life! x____x;
<NotJim> Well, it looks like I was wrong, and the king is involved after all.
<BB> Even worse, the Black Fang has gotten to him!
<Green> I guess they're trying to accomplish here what they failed to do in Lycia... you know, with the whole enfold the country in chaos to bring the dragons back and all.
<Athena> Well, first things first, let's get that Fire Emblem back so we can get to the Shrine of Seals.
<NotJim> I guess that means we'll have to storm the Black Fang fortress.
<Green> Woohoo! \o/​

Remember how I said that Celever and SM weren't with us up in the castle? That's because we left them over here outside for some reason, presumably so they can have the following conversation.

<Celever> Man, you know who's cool?
<SM> Who?
<Celever> Lord Green. He's so cool! :D He even carries me on his shoulders and he's not all stuck up like a lot of the other lords.
<SM> Lord NotJim is also very sweet and kind and noble...
<Celever> You know, if all the people long ago were so cool like this... I think we all would have been able to get along much better.
<SM> That's very true...
<Celever> You're really fond of NotJim, aren't you?
<SM> Nils! *blushes*
<Celever> You know you can't fall in love with him, right? We're different from them.
<SM> I know, but.... I can't.... I.... I need to be alone for a bit to think, okay?
<Celever> SM.... :<​

Just as Lord Green and the others were exiting the castle to meet back up with Celever and SM, a bunch of Wyvern Riders flew in, heading straight for Celever!

<Green> Ohshi- we need to save him!
<Celever> Eeeep! *has no one to hide behind*
<???> Hmmm... light teal hair, red eyes. Yup, you're one of the brats Lord Nergal is looking for.
<BB> Leave him alone!
<???> Oh, good, you're here. I've been looking for the chance to crush you. >:3 Everyone come out! It's playtime!​

Suddenly the sky was filled with wyverns and other enemies were popping out from behind rocks and trees. Robin, Cypher, Sain, Skyleaf, and Luis headed to the south to visit the village and care of a few enemies, while everyone else gathered in the north to attack the wyverns. After a short discussion with Pent, NotJim received and used a Heaven Seal that enabled him to promote. NotJim is now a Knight Lord! He suddenly gained a horse (no one knows where it came from) and grabbed a few lances from Merlinus.

While everyone was working on taking out the normal enemies, Jabber had his eyes set on the boss, an angry looking woman with short cropped blond eye and a disfiguring scar over one eye. Clearly she looked much too evil to ever be recruitable, and he wanted to kill her, and good. Unfortunately for Jabber, she was much too strong for him. Too strong for anyone, in fact, and his mightiest axe swings only did a pitiful amount of damage.

Realized he would need the help of his comrades, he slowly baited her over to the west while they gathered and waited until finally everyone was close enough to gang up on her. While they were waiting, Cypher flew up to visit a local armory and NotJim, and SM managed a short conversation together.

<NotJim> So, uh, in Pherae we have these really sweet harvest festivals in the autumn.
<SM> Wow, what a random conversation topic. :O
<NotJim> I know, right? It would be super cool if you could come to the festival and show everyone your dancing. :3 They've be so impressed!
<SM> Awww, thanks *blush*
<NotJim> My mum especially. She and my dad used to dance together a lot.
<SM> ... ... ...
<NotJim> Oh, sorry, I bet you're still depressed about my dad.
<SM> Not as much as you, I'm sure...
<NotJim> ... you're not blaming yourself for his death again, are you? I already told you that wasn't your fault.
<SM> Yeah, well, you don't know everything...
<NotJim> o.o?
<SM> I... I've been deceiving you. I'm so sorry.
<NotJim> Awww... SM, don't cry. I don't know your past, it's true, but I do know I never want to see you sad. <3​

Eventually, Jabber pulled the boss in range. He, PP, TGK, and Pent all did some damage, but it was Rath with his flyer-effective bows that finally brought her down for good. With that accomplished, the remaining soldiers turned and fled.

<NotJim> Celever! Are you okay?
<Celever> Yes, but... Lord Keeper's power. It's returning again. :\
<Green> Huh? How can you tell?
<Celever> That woman... she was protected by his magic somehow.
<Jabber> Huh, no wonder she was so bloody difficult to take out.
<SM> We really need to take care of Keeper quickly.
<Athena> And that means getting the Fire Emblem.
<BB> Wait a moment. Vom and I can track the departing soldiers. We might be able to follow them to the Black Fang HQ!
<Green> Whoa, really? :O
<Vom> Yes, it should be a simple matter.
<Green> Sweet, let's go. :D​

Current Team!

Lord Green
- Lv. 19 Lord
Lord NotJim - Lv. 2 Knight Lord
Luis - Lv. 4 Sage
Skyleaf - Lv. 6 Valkyrie
BB - Lv. 20 Lord
TGK - Lv. 8 Paladin
Robin - Lv. 7 Falcoknight
Jabber - Lv. 8 Hero
PP - Lv. 6 Bishop
SM - Lv. 16 Dancer
Cypher - Lv. 6 Wyvern Lord
Vom - Lv. 6 Nomad Trooper

Player Notes

Technically speaking, I think only Green, NotJim, and BB are the ones who climb the walls and sneak into the castle, but it's much more hilarious if you assume everyone does so.

This chapter was actually surprisingly difficult. It's a "Survive" chapter which basically means you have to last 11 full rounds without dying. This wouldn't seem so bad until you realize the boss is an absolute powerhouse. She's a Lv. 10 promoted Wyvern Lord, stronger than all of our units, and her stats are very heavily boosted by the "Uber" Spear that she carries. This makes her incredibly difficult to hurt, kind of like Kishuna back in Lv. 19x, except at least Kishuna didn't attack, but Vaida's spear ORKOs almost everyone.

Also, she moves and she has 8 Mov and attacks at 1-2 range.

My strategy was to get Jabber into a spot to lure her out and eventually get kite her into a position where I could gang rush her with everyone at once. Jabber was chosen for this job because Axe > Lance WTA and good dodging/defenses meant that he had the best chance of surviving a round against her, and he would have to survive several. He slowly brought her out while everyone else killed the other enemies. Rath was the only one who did a significant amount of damage thanks to a Silver Bow, but everyone else chipped in and helped. Jabber did the second most amount of damage since his accumulated over several rounds while he kited her, and Sain, PP, and Pent were mostly chipping damage.

NotJim is now, finally, promoted. He gains a horse and lances, making him MUCH more useful. He also got his B Support with SM.

The next chapter is the 2nd chapter that changes as a result of earlier choices. This time it's based on the EXP of a selection of non-Lord characters. 1 group has 3 characters that we're using (Luis, PP, and Skyleaf) whereas the other group has only 1 (Jabber), so it was pretty obviously to me from the beginning that we'd be playing the version of the chapter that we are, which is one that has a magical boss. See you with it tomorrow!

Chapter 27: ITC: The inspiration for skinshipping in Fates

BB and Vom lead the way as they track the fleeing Black Fang soldiers. They start out following a path due south, and it eventually turns into a small game trail that leads up deeper into the mountains. Snow begins to appear on the ground in patches as the climb up further and further. Eventually we come to an ancient castle nestled in the snowbanks. Sneaking inside past the boundary walls, we overhear a conversation held in one of the compound's many buildings.

<Nino> You mean it mother, truly? I finally get a real mission of my own? :D
<Sonia> Yes, and it's important, too, being for the king and all, so you better do a good job.
<Brendan> Sonia, I don't really think....
<Sonia> No, you don't, so shut up. I would have given it to one of your sons, but they're nowhere to be seen. Instead, I will give the task to my daughter, and you will be silent. Jaffar?
<Jaffar> ... ... ...
<Nino> Jaffar, are you sure you should be up? You were injured pretty badly...
<Jaffar> ... ... ...
<Sonia> Jaffar, you know what is requested of you, of course: Zephiel's assassination.
<Nino> Wait, the king wants Zephiel killed? But why? It's his own son!
<Sonia> Nino, you try my patience. Jaffar, you will be taking Nino on this mission as well.
<Jaffar> ... I don't believe that is wise. I think this mission is too much for her.
<Sonia> You'll be there to look after her, so there will be no worries. The decision is final. We must get the king in our debt; that is an order directly from Lord Keeper himself. You and Nino both know the consequences if you should fail.
<Jaffar> ... ... ...
<Sonia> Now then, let's me off to the prince's manse. I'll give you details on the way. Kenneth, I'm leaving you in charge while we're gone.
<Kenneth> You can trust me to keep the Fire Emblem and HQ safe while you're gone, milady.
<Green> Holy $#!&.
<NotJim> Not only the capture of the Fire Emblem, but they're going to kill the prince, too... and all on the King's orders...
<TGK> Man, if Zephiel is killed, the Fire Emblem would be useless! >_<
<Skyleaf> The girl, Nino, she seems a decent sort. Perhaps if we could talk to her...
<Luis> We'd just have to, you know, get past the crazy dangerous assassin man first.
<Cypher> We'll cross that bridge when we come to it, but for now we should get out of here as fast as possible...
<Kenneth> What, going so soon, trespassers?
<Everyone> :O!
<Kenneth> I never would have thought that the headquarters of a gang of assassins would be infiltrated, but I'd be happy to kill you all and save your bodies for Sonia.
<PP> But you're a holy man... do you really desire so much death?
<Kenneth> Pah, the gods are nothing but lies. If there is any being out there that deserves my worship and respect, it is my Lord Keeper.
<Green> Well, I guess we'll just have to kill you, then!
<BB> Green, we really should leave as soon as--
<Green> Everyone, to arms!
<BB> *sigh*
<Athena> There, there, BB, you knew there would be a battle this chapter anyway.​

We prepared for combat as quickly as we could, though the thick layer of snow on the ground made it difficult to move around. Robin, Cypher, TGK, Skyleaf, and Legault all headed north, and TGK and Skyleaf managed to hold a quick conversation as they worked through the drifts.

<TGK> Urggghh....
<Skyleaf> TGK, are you okay?
<TGK> Oh, my sweet Princess Skyleaf... I fear I have suffered a grievous wound. Would you not heal me with your radiant beauty and perhaps a loving touch of a heal staff?
<Skyleaf> You're not faking again, are you? :\
<TGK> Heavens, no! Why would I do such a thing?
<Skyleaf> Honestly, I don't know, but you've faked injuries at least 6 times in recent battles to get me to come pay attention to you. I think my personal favourite was that one time you complained of a "mortal" sunburn.
<TGK> That was in the desert, I'll have you know, and it really was painful. This wound, however, is far more serious, I assure you, my lady.
<Skyleaf> *sigh* Fine. *taps with Heal staff* Forgive me for asking, but... shouldn't you be protecting BB instead of hanging out over here anyway? After all, she's the heir to Caelin and your sworn liege...
<TGK> Oh, don't worry about that. She's given me leave to look after you. So I'm all yours!
<Skyleaf> Really?
<TGK> Of course! I never plan to leave your side. <3
<Skyleaf> Well, you say that now, but after this journey is complete, you'll go back to Caelin with her, won't you?
<TGK> ! I...
<Skyleaf> After all, you are a Lycian Knight. You could not follow me home to Etruria, could you?
<TGK> Well... you're correct. After all, I am indeed a Knight, and my loyalty must be unwavering.
<Skyleaf> Yes, I understand. Just know that... I have enjoyed every moment we have spent together on this mission. Even the times you were faking. I suppose I do not do my best to show it, but you make me very... happy.
<TGK> Princess.... :<
<Skyleaf> Oh, stop it now. That sad face doesn't suit you at all. Come, you must be cheerful, or I'll start crying too. Smile for me, like you always do...​

Eventually the snow slowed down and we were able to enter the castle. The northern group took the northwest entrance while everyone else piled in through the south main door. NotJim and Vom held back the reinforcements while everyone else quickly moved inside, taking out enemies as they went. To the north, Cypher swept up the last remaining outside enemies while Legault because to work on the chests.

We could tell things were started to slow down when reinforcements stopped pouring in. Green recruited a swordmaster named Karel to our team while NotJim, BB, Vom, SM, and PP moved in towards the boss.

<Vom> BB, look out! *defend*
<BB> Whoops, sorry there, Vom. *stab* I must have been distracted.
<Vom> The battlefield is no place for daydreaming. >:|
<BB> I know... I was just thinking about my grandfather... I hope he's doing well. *shakes head* I need to keep my head away from those thoughts, though. Distract me, Vom. What was life like in the Kutolah tribe?
<Vom> *shrugs* I wouldn't know. I've spent the last 15 years on my own.
<BB> Huh, why? o_o;
<Vom> ... ... ... maybe you should pay more attention than the battle than to chatting.
<BB> >_>​

Eventually Vom and NotJim worked to take down the boss. PP ran around healing everyone to boost his staff rank, and then Green captured the throne to end the battle.

<Green> Ohman, this throne is so uncomfortable. Geez who would want to sit on... wait, what's this thing?
<NotJim> I think that's the Fire Emblem!
<BB> Sweet! Let's take it and get out of here so we can foil the assassination plot!​

Meanwhile, near the Bern Manse...

<Sonia> Alright, you guys know what to do, now go do it. The job must be done tonight.
<Jaffar> ... ... ...
<Nino> Mother, before you leave... could I please... just for a short while... may I hold your hand?
<Sonia> Ugh, really?
<Nino> I might not ever see you again, so....
<Sonia> Well, how about this for a deal. Complete this mission, and I’ll hold your hand as often as you like. I will even hug you and stroke your face.
<Nino> Really?! Oh boy! I'll do my best for sure. I'll do anything to please you! :D
<Sonia> Good. Now get out there and do what you need to do.
<Nino> Thank you so much mother! <3 *flees*
<Sonia> Jaffar, stay here for a moment.
<Jaffar> ... ... ...
<Sonia> Once you're done killing the prince, kill Nino too.
<Jaffar> ... ... ... ?!?!?!?!?
<Sonia> It's the King's orders. The prince is so well-loved... his death will trigger much chaos. A scapegoat is needed. Do you understand?
<Jaffar> ... ... ...
<Sonia> The girl is completely worthless. Human trash. I'm just happy I've finally found a use for her. She said she would do anything to please me, didn't she? Her death will please me so much more than her living ever did.
<Jaffar> ... ... ...
<Sonia> When Keeper adopted you as a pitiful street urchin, he did so because of your callous heart and skill with a blade. He offers no second chances. I hope you will keep this in mind. *departs*
<Jaffar> ... ... ...​

Current Team!

Lord Green
- Lv. 19 Lord
Lord NotJim - Lv. 5 Knight Lord
Luis - Lv. 5 Sage
Skyleaf - Lv. 8 Valkyrie
BB - Lv. 20 Lord
TGK - Lv. 9 Paladin
Robin - Lv. 9 Falcoknight
Jabber - Lv. 9 Hero
PP - Lv. 9 Bishop
SM - Lv. 17 Dancer
Cypher - Lv. 8 Wyvern Lord
Vom - Lv. 7 Nomad Trooper

Player Notes

Small rant about Supports in this game:
I just want to get this out there, but Skyleaf and TGK's support chain is depressing as hell. And it's frustrating too, because there's no reason for it. They both care for each other deeply, that much is true, but there's no chance of them getting together. Zero. They don't even get a paired ending. TGK's knighthood is professed as the reason, but in both of his possible paired endings (Rebecca and Fiora), he leaves Caelin to be with them, so why couldn't he do it for Skyleaf? Skyleaf herself has a rough time finding a mate... of her 3 paired endings, only one of them is happy (the one she could have had with Luis), and the other 2 (Cypher and Guy), both end in a "she is a noble and he wasn't so they broke up and left each other." WTF? This doesn't make any sense; it's not even like she's super high nobility or anything. Both NotJim and Green, despite growing up to being the ruling lords of their respective territories are able to marry common-born mercenaries, and in NotJim's case a mysterious orphan dancer girl. And it's not even limited to the guys since BB can also marry Rath and Kent (TGK's partner, so effective in the same situation as TGK) in addition to Green or NotJim. So, yeah, this makes zero sense and it pisses me off.

Alright, end rant.

Not much interesting to say about this chapter from a gameplay perspective, honestly. Very easy. The snow really slows you down in the beginning but once you get inside it's a non-issue, and most of the chapter is inside. We got a couple new supports, recruited Karel for his Wo Dao, and I spammed PP up to high B rank in Staves; he should hit A soon.

The Sonia/Nino relationship has always been really creepy, and it finally comes to a head here, leading into one of the most difficult and emotionally charged of all the chapters in FE7: Battle Before Dawn, which we will be playing tomorrow. I hope you are looking forward to it!

For now, I bring you a long overdue Unit Recap!

Lord Green - Lv. 19 Lord

Xsxa5vM.png

Green's not doing too bad, despite being the lowest level of all the characters. We won't be able to promote him for a good few chapters yet, so sadly he'll be lagging behind for a while. Even accounting for that, though, he still has the highest defense out of everyone. :p I haven't honestly been using him much at all lately since it will be so long before his promotion. He mostly tags along with Merlinus and captures thrones when needed.

Lord NotJim - Lv. 5 Knight Lord

nd2V7JC.png

Eliwood got the benefit of the first Heaven Seal because it really boosts his usefulness a LOT. The (mystery) horse gives him a powerful mov boost and puts him right on the front lines, and the addition of Lances to his weapon registry gives him much needed 1-2 range access (he's already up to mid-C lances). As you can see from his stats, he's still kind of a mid-range fighter in terms of usefulness; he doesn't stand out in anyway, but doesn't suck in anything either. Overall, he's pretty much okay. I'm still working on catching him up to the others, especially since he's still glued at the hip to SM to get their support up, but hopefully he'll catch up and start being more effective soon.

Luis - Lv. 5 Sage

SM8pm6J.png

Of the 3 magic-using units we have, Luis is definitely the worst. That doesn't mean he's bad by any means (magic in incredibly powerful and useful, after all, and he can still one-round most enemies), just that he's less useful than PP or Skyleaf. He did get Staves on promotion for emergency healing, but only at E rank, and it's not really worth grinding him up much higher than he is now (early D). He is the most defensive magic-user, which is handy if he ends up in the front or to tank ranged attacks during EP, and he also has an S in Anima Magic... which will be useful if we ever get any high rank magic tomes (right now the highest we have is 1 C rank Elfire tome). Overall, very useful, even if he doesn't stand as high as the other mages.

Skyleaf - Lv. 8 Valkyire

PHkC1RH.png

Currently, Skyleaf is a step above Luis is almost every way. Their stats are very comparable for most things, but her high mov and awesome staff rank make her far more useful over all. She works well offensive and as support, wielding every staff available, and can also rescue units as needed. She's one of my most on-demand units and a frequent target for SM's refreshing to let her attack and heal in the same round or so. Her and TGK have been joined at the hip to finish their support, but it really works out just fine because they have a similar mov anyway (and he does often need healing, this is true). Her biggest downside is that she's kind of frail, though her high Skl and Lck mean she dodges like a boss, so it's rarely an issue, even in the front lines.

BB - Lv. 20 Lord

xtvh9wT.png

Myrm Lord/10. Did I already make that joke? >.> At Lv. 20, BB's capped Skl and close to capping Spd. However, her Str is pitiful (10!) and combined with her low Con, she has a difficult time killing enemies without resorting to crit-boosted weapons. She will be able to promote in 2 chapters, which will hopefully give her a needed boost. It will also give her access to bows, making her a kind of un-mounted version of Vom. Like Green, she hasn't been seeing much combat use recently since I don't want to waste potential exp, so she protects Merlinus and hangs out with Vom to boost that support.

TGK - Lv. 9 Paladin

Gth7F5A.png

TGK is one of my two best melee units currently. He's got the highest Str of the whole army, good Def, and most important, excellent Mov. I've been focusing him on Lances (which he has an S in, compared to his C Swords and I haven't even touched him on Axes) which are more useful overall, and he does very well with it. He does take a decent amount of damage (he dodges like a dump truck), but he CAN take it, which is important. The pair-up with Skyleaf is advantageous because she can keep him healed up and ready to go.

Robin - Lv. 9 Falcoknight

H3ZiIoT.png

Robin is an excellent task unit and one of my most flexible fighters. Her high Skl/Spd mean that she dodges a lot, and her Str is good too, so she puts out a lot of damage. Her biggest downside is her low Def, but thanks to flying and 1-2 range access, she can often snipe enemies and be left undisturbed during EP. Just don't leave her in the range of any bows! She and Cypher usually find themselves running far-off errands, such as visiting armories or villages, or crossing difficult terrain quickly. In a regular fight, her high Res makes her my default Mage killer.

Jabber - Lv. 9 Hero

ntmoUwA.png

Jabber is the other of my two best melee fighters. His Str is a bit lower than TGK, but most of his other stats are better, making him a more consistent fighter, and he's an amazingly awesome tank in EP. The Hero promotion gave him access to axes, so I've been training him up on those for 1-2 range access and more power. He's already mid-C and climbing. Often with Jabber I just kind of dump him in a nice location and take out enemies during EP. He can basically hold his own (as evidenced in the fight against Vaida yesterday), and doesn't really require any effort or help.

PP - Lv. 9 Bishop

ZWspjwn.png

PP is a magical powerhouse. At 23 Mag, he greatly overpowers both Luis and Skyleaf, has almost capped his Spd, and also has the highest Res of the army, so most magic does 0 to piddling damage to him, even if he's at triangle disadvantage. However, he is practically the definition of a glass cannon with his whopping 5 Def and pitiful Lck, too. I'm always extra careful to keep him out of the front lines. I've recently begun boosting his staff rank in plans to make him my Fortify user over Skyleaf, since his Mag is so much stronger, and she worked better in the front lines anyway.

SM- Lv. 17 Dancer

eYEAqec.png

As a pure Support unit, there's not much I can say about SM. She's mainly glued to NotJim to finish boosting that support. With her rings, she can give people offensive or defensive bonuses, but mostly I just use her to refresh. She's great at dodging, but of course I try and keep her out of combat as much as I can anyway. And that's SM. :U

Cypher- Lv. 8 Wyvern Lord

HpVBf3h.png

Cypher is a very interesting unit. In function, he and Robin fulfill similar roles thanks to their ability to fly around everywhere, but I have to be a lot less careful with Cypher since his high Def and HP mean that he shrugs off most attacks, even from Bows. With 22 Str, he's decently powerful as well... though he's also sadly somewhat Spd screwed and is stuck with 13 Spd, the second lowest of the whole army and only because Hector is unpromoted and 9 levels lower. :U As such, Cypher has a hard time doubling many units, forcing him to rely on brute strength or criticals to kill units in one round. But still, a very powerful and useful unit.

Vom- Lv. 7 Nomad Trooper

wJl4MTJ.png

Vom has certainly caught up with the crowd and is in a good place. His high Str and Spd make him great offensively, and as our only current bow user, he fits a nice niche. I'm trying to get him good with bows but it's a very, very slow process because he's so much more USEFUL with bows and iron lock sucks, especially for swords, so he's still only at mid-E. So he mostly snipes at things from afar and hangs out with BB to get that support going. Also his sword animation as a Nomad Trooper is one of the best.

I haven't decided what I'll actually do for the ending yet. My rant about supports is meant to reflect what actually happens in the real game itself. I actually originally wrote it using the character's actual in-game names, then changed it because I didn't know if you'd knew who I was talking about. :p

Chapter 28: Battle Before Dawn, but also long after midnight, sometime in that 3-4am time range, I think

<Nino> Alright, we're in the manse now... this is the prince's room, yes?
<Jaffar> ... ... ...
<Sonia> Sonia said that the king called Murdock off on an errand, so he shouldn't have any bodyguards. In fact, I don't see any guards anywhere. This job is my first mission and all, so I'm still nervous about letting mother down and all, but I think... I think I can do this.
<Jaffar> Be sure not to fail. You know what the consequences are.
<Nino> Of course! I am Black Fang, after all. I will become worthy and finally earn my mother's love. Come on, let's go.
<Jaffar> ... ... ...
<Nino> Wait a moment, I hear someone talking. Or is that... praying?
<Zephiel> *inside his room* And so to the gods I offer up this humble prayer, for my coming-of-age ceremony tomorrow, that I do my best to please my father. I know I have been nothing but an embarrassment to him so far, so I want to become a proper man and make him proud and earn his love...
<Nino> ... ... ...
<Zephiel> ... and since tomorrow, after the ceremony, I will indeed become a man, please accept this final, childish wish, the same wish I make every night: please help mother and father get back together again, please let us all and Guinevere become a happy family in the castle together.
<Nino> ... ... ...
<Jaffar> Come on, it's time. *picks door lock*
<Nino> Jaffar--!!
<Zephiel> Hey! Wha-!!
<Jaffar> *knocks him on the head*
<Zephiel> ... x_x;
<Jaffar> There, now he's unconscious. Kill him.
<Nino> Jaffar, I... I can't do it.
<Jaffar> ... ... ...
<Nino> Were you listening? All this poor boy wants is the love of his parent, something he can't seem to get no matter how hard he tries... he's just like me.
<Jaffar> ... ... ...
<Nino> No matter what I do, no matter how hard I try, mother treats me as nothing but a disappointment. She's never hugged me or even touched me or...
<Jaffar> You know the consequences of failure.
<Nino> Yes, I understand. Go ahead and kill me; I'll make it easy on you. Just please... spare the prince.
<Jaffar> ... ... ...
<Nino> ... ... ...
<Jaffar> *sigh* Come on, we're getting out of here.
<Nino> What?!
<Jaffar> Hurry up and follow me, we need to escape here quickly.
<Nino> But Jaffar, if you do this--
<Jaffar> I know.​

Taking Nino by the hand, Jaffar left the prince's room and hurried out into the hallway towards one of the castle's many exits. However, along the way they were confronted by a Valkyrie: Ursula, one of the Four Fangs.

<Ursula> Jaffar, finished with the job already? Wow, you really do deserve your nickname.
<Jaffar> ... ... ...
<Ursula> Sonia warned me that you've been acting strange recently, but it appears her fears were groundless.
<Nino> I'm so sorry! It's not Jaffar's fault, all mine, I couldn't--
<Jaffar> ... facepalm.jpg
<Ursula> Wait, what's going on? Why's the girl still alive?
<Nino> ... wait, what? o_o;
<Ursula> You did receive Sonia's orders to kill her as a scapegoat for the murder, right? After all, she's nothing but a worthless litt--
<Jaffar> Shut up.
<Ursula> Oh ho. I see how it is. *smirk*
<Jaffar> I will not let Nino die. Get in my way and I'll kill you.
<Nino> Jaffar! :O
<Ursula> I guess you have a heart, after all. And here I was, thinking you were little more than one of Keeper's creepy morphs. Let me guess... you didn't kill the prince either, did you?
<Jaffar> ... ... ...
<Ursula> *sigh* Maxine! Kill the lights and block the exits. We have one prince and two traitors to kill, and I won't have them escaping. *rides off*
<Jaffar> Nino, find an exit and get out of here, quickly. You deserve to live. *runs off into the darkness*
<Nino> Jaffar... :<​

Meanwhile, back with the good guys...

<Green> *huff*puff* Alright, we finally made it to the manse...
<Jabber> So, uh, why are all the lights out?
<BB> I can hear the sounds of fighting inside, too. What's going on?
<Green> Ohshi-
<Athena> We need to get in there, fast.
<NotJim> Everyone, get in and protect the prince!​

Not really knowing what to expect on the inside thanks to the FoW conditions, I split our group up in two, sending Cypher, Robin, TGK, and Skyleaf to the western entrance to move in quickly (Legault riding on Cypher's wyvern to pick any chests along the way), while the rest of our units took a bit more of a cautious approach to the right. The caution proved to be warranted when we immediately ran into a slew of Black Fang members in the entrance, but we were prepared, and both groups moved down quickly enough.

To the left, TGK and Skyleaf took down a boss-ish Paladin named Maxime, while on the right, NotJim began taking hits from a siege tome further south. Green began to move in towards the center of the manse where Zephiel's room was, and along the way he ran into everyone's favourite plucky little green-haired gal.

<Nino> Hey! Are you from the palace? You have to get to the prince's room and protect him, quick!
<Green> So, you must be Nino, huh.
<Nino> Wait, what? Who are you?
<Green> *somehow finds time in the middle of battle to explain to Nino about how his group has been chasing and fighting the Black Fang, but it's all done in a simple fade out, so I dunno how*
<Green> ... in conclusion, you're all pawns in the hands of this Keeper guy who only wants to use you to bring a bunch of dragons to the world.
<Nino> Wow, that's some pretty crazy stuff.
<Green> Yep! So, what do you say, want to join us? You saved the prince's life, so I know you can't be a bad sort.
<Nino> lolkay​

Everyone more or less fumbled in the dark trying to figure out where the enemies were coming from. Robin and Skyleaf handled a bunch coming in from the southwest while TGK held back some shaman reinforcements and Cypher protected Legault, who looted some chests and even stole a set of lockpicks from an enemy thief. NotJim led the charge on the east side, frequently healed by PP, while Vom used keys to pry open the other chests and Luis and Jabber provided cover. Nino went off to talk to Jaffar. Eventually NotJim managed to find the magic-slinging boss and took her out all on his own. After that, it was mostly just mopping up and keeping an eye on the prince until the manse's people woke up; the Black Fang were finished.

As people began to wake up and rush about, we slipped out of the manse unseen, secure in the fact that the prince would be safe for now.

<Nino> Jaffar, I'm so glad you're safe. <3
<Jaffar> ... ... ...
<Green> You're lucky, too. If it were up to me, I'd tear you from limb to limb for all the murders you've done for that sleazeball Keeper, but...
<BB> But he's outnumbered. You may have done terrible things in the past, but you've spared the prince's life, and so we'll offer you the same.
<Nino> I hope, in time, you'll find it in your hearts to forgive him.
<Green> Bah! Keeper's the more important target anyway. Stay with the girl, kill yourself, so whatever you want. *huffs off*​

With Zephiel safe and the Fire Emblem in our care, all in time for the prince's ceremony, we fulfilled our bargain with Queen Hellene and were able to meet with her the following day.

<Hellene> You got the Fire Emblem back? Truly? :3
<Green> Hey, about what happened in the manse last night...
<Hellene> Oh, some nonsense about assassins or whatever. I don't care. Fire Emblem, gimme!
<Green> Alright then. >_> *hands it over*
<Hellene> Yesss.... my precious.... with this, Zephiel's right of succession is secure. That annoying little Guinevere will never become the heir....
<NotJim> So, um, your highness... what is Prince Zephiel to you?
<Hellene> Huh?
<NotJim> I know he's your son and all... but do you actually give a crap about that at all or is he just a tool to get the throne? I mean, that's certainly how you treat him.
<Hellene> How dare you!!
<Green> Ooooh, sick burn, NotJim. I didn't know you had it in you.
<NotJim> I've never heard of a mother who would put her own innocent son's life at risk. How could you?!
<Hellene> What are you even talking about? o_o;
<BB> Last night, the assassins--
<NotJim> Oh, never mind, let's just get out of here. *leaves*
<Green> *follows* Wow, Ive never seen you so pissed.
<Louise> Well, it's true, all of it. Hellene never used to be this way, but her marriage to Desmond was... ill-matched. I'm afraid it's created a lot of bad blood and heartache. The succession has become her life, to see her son crowned king.
<NotJim> I feel sorry for her, but not as much as I do for Zephiel. Kid's got 2 bad parents and a world of troubles. I shouldn't have let my emotions get the better of me, though, sorry. I guess I kind of ruined our changes of getting information about the shrine...
<Hellene> *comes up behind* Really? I think not.
<Everyone> :O!
<Hellene> Murdock just came to me now and explained what happened yesterday, and how my son's saviors were seen leaving the castle right after the assassins were killed... you have my thanks. If I had lost him... I understand things a bit better now.
<NotJim> Well, uh, thanks, I guess.
<Hellene> Anyway, take this book and this Heaven Seal. The book will tell you how to get to the shrine. I should be able to keep any of Bern's soldiers away from interfering with you, too, though I don't know if the king will send any personal troops against you. For now, I will concentrate my time and effort on becoming a better mother.
<Green> Thank you very much! Come on everyone, let's get going to the shrine!​

Current Team!

Lord Green
- Lv. 19 Lord
Lord NotJim - Lv. 8 Knight Lord
Luis - Lv. 6 Sage
Skyleaf - Lv. 10 Valkyrie
BB - Lv. 20 Lord
TGK - Lv. 10 Paladin
Robin - Lv. 12 Falcoknight
Jabber - Lv. 9 Hero
PP - Lv. 9 Bishop
SM - Lv. 18 Dancer
Cypher - Lv. 9 Wyvern Lord
Vom - Lv. 9 Nomad Trooper

Player Notes

This is such a fun, if somewhat difficult, chapter. Once again, it's mostly because of the large variety of objectives.

First of all, you've got a bunch of NPCs to look after. Protecting Zephiel for 15 turns is actually the main win con of this chapter. He's not completely useless (he's a Lv. 11 Prince with a Sword A rank and a Silver Sword), but you still want to keep people away from him as much as you possibly can. Nino and Jaffar also start the level as NPCs. Nino stays off to the right, torn between her desire to stay and look after Jaffar and to escape like he told her to. She counter-attacks enemies, but doesn't move. As only a Lv. 5 mage, she's pretty fragile. Once you talk to her with Green, she turns blue and joins your team, that's objective #2.

Jaffar, however, is a different story. True to his character, as an NPC he is both brutal (equipped with a killing edge, he slaughters everything he touches) and suicidal, actively looking for enemies to fight and more than willing to get into a situation where he will be gang rushed and die. Unlike Nino, you can't recruit him this chapter, however, you do need to have her talk to him in order to unlock the next gaiden chapter, so that's objective 3 and 4: stop Jaffar from suiciding on enemies and getting Nino (the Lv. 5 mage you need to baby in order to survive) across the battlefield to talk to him.

In addition to NPCs, there are also 4 chests with some very powerful items, including Boots (yay!) and a Rescue Staff. They're spread out and there are lots of enemy thieves, so you need to be careful, especially since it's a Fog of War situation and you can't see where everyone is.

The fog of war also makes the boss very dangerous. Ursula the Valkyrie (you may remember her from my earlier avatar when I first started this playthrough) moves around at the very bottom of the level and attacks with a powerful siege tome (3-10 square radius) as soon as you get in range. These attacks hurt hard and because of her high mov and the darkness, it's very hard to pin her down and kill her. Maxime also functions as a second boss on the left side.

I had the mounted group take the west side to move down quickly and make sure Jaffar didn't die. I had Cypher rescue him and bring him east after Green recruited Nino to minimize danger. I wasn't sure if I'd have enough time for Legault to get all the chests due to the round limit, so I had Vom take care of the right side ones with some keys.

NotJim definitely gets MVP for this chapter. He was the vanguard for the eastern side, taking the brunt of the attacks, and dealing a lot of damage, too. He was also able to one shot Ursula.

I actually really like Ursula as an enemy. She's appeared a few times earlier in the game but usually plays a fairly minor role. She's rather pretty looking and almost looks like she could be recruited (due to the rule of beautiful recruits and all), but she subverts that trope and is actually the most dedicated and ruthless of the Four Fangs, with a fervent devotion to Sonia.

The next chapter is another gaiden chapter, this time a plot based one. It will be the end of the little side story about Nino and Sonia. We also get a Heaven Seal so we can promote BB, woohoo! \o/

I've been accidentally duplicate posting a lot lately. I don't know why. :\

A Valkyrie, you say?
Let us fight, then, and see who is the better! *bold challenge face*

Sorry, but you would have gotten creamed. Her Mag, Res, and HP were all leaps and bounds above yours, plus she's wielding strong tomes than you can. >_>

Back