Writing The Elemental Spectrum ~ Finished

Is it just me, or is anyone else becoming suspicious of Prof. Sycamore?

Great chapter once again Jabber! I quite like the character development of Fylon; it's interesting because Fylon and Ryan thinking similarly but are somehow different in personality. Also, cliffhangers yay. D:<

Is it just me, or is anyone else becoming suspicious of Prof. Sycamore?

Great chapter once again Jabber! I quite like the character development of Fylon; it's interesting because Fylon and Ryan thinking similarly but are somehow different in personality. Also, cliffhangers yay. D:<
Thanks! :D Fylon's definitely one of my favorites atm; can't wait to develop him more.

Do you mean Roc becoming suspicious, or people irl getting suspicious from reading Ryan's PoV?

Roc's not quite suspicious of his motives, he just doesn't think Sycamore can break into the lab of the most villainous organization in Kalos and escape with the entire Spectrum unharmed.

As for people irl...that's up to the reader. :)

Nothing I can do about cliffhangers, I'm afraid, not for a few more days. :p

Does Arin's affinity for wordplay come from dragons' love of riddles? :p
At least partially. I needed someone through which I could feed whatever wordplay I wanted to feed, and Arin's dragonish nature definitely fit that. Nice catch. :)

I meant like I'm starting to find Prof Sycamore suspicious myself.

I like Arin. He makes puns about on the same level as mine. Also, I'm sooooooo curious as to what's going to happen in chapter 10!

Not really.
I'm do also appreciate Serena's sense of humour. Oh, and fun fact: Aria is the name of my trainer in my Y game.

oh, and
BOLD PREDICTION:
Matt kicks out Fylon and Arin because of the flare uniform. Though that might be obvious at this point.
BOLDER PREDICTION:
Matt is Matt from Team Aqua. I can't think of another important Matt in the series and he mentions being a trainer. And since ORAS takes place before XY, I believe...

At least partially. I needed someone through which I could feed whatever wordplay I wanted to feed, and Arin's dragonish nature definitely fit that. Nice catch. :)

Yay! I feel smart now! ^o^

Also, I find it really interesting that the Flying-Type Trainer is named Fylon. In my Void of Despair comic, there's someone named Fylan, and he's a giant bird. xD

BOLD PREDICTION:
Matt kicks out Fylon and Arin because of the flare uniform. Though that might be obvious at this point.
BOLDER PREDICTION:
Matt is Matt from Team Aqua. I can't think of another important Matt in the series and he mentions being a trainer. And since ORAS takes place before XY, I believe...
Matt's actually relatively insignificant; the quip about being a Pokémon Trainer is just there to show that a lot of people gave up being Trainers after what happened at Geosenge Town.
Also, I find it really interesting that the Flying-Type Trainer is named Fylon. In my Void of Despair comic, there's someone named Fylan, and he's a giant bird. xD
I'll have to check that out. It's so great when names coincide. :D

In the burning Pokémon Center, Ryan had been caught unawares by Team Flare. A pair of them knocked him unconscious, dragging him along as they made their escape. He had been thrown into the back of some vehicle, and had only come to after a particularly large bump in the road startled him awake.

Dimly, he registered his surroundings. The back of the vehicle was empty but for one crate on which a guard sat, his face in shadow. It was too dark to tell, but Ryan thought that the guard’s eyes might have widened when he saw that Ryan was conscious. However, he made no move to call anyone else.

A short time later, the vehicle stopped. Ryan noted the briefness of the journey; apparently Professor Sycamore had been right about the proximity of Team Flare’s base. The back of the vehicle opened, and three other Team Flare Grunts looked in.

“We’ve arrived,” said one, rather unnecessarily. Ryan’s guard gave him a withering look before hopping out of the vehicle. They looked back at Ryan expectantly, and he realized that he was not bound. He held his hands out in front of him and gave the guards a questioning look.

“We’re not cruel,” said one of them in response. “Contrary to what you seem to believe, this is not a kidnapping. The Scientists wish to speak with you.”

Ryan remembered Fylon’s look of fear after the skirmish at the laboratory. Were these the same Scientists? His initial reaction was that he didn’t want anything to do with them, and he considered making a break for it, but then he stopped to consider. He still wasn’t sure that Team Flare was bad. And if Fylon was on the wrong side, wouldn’t it make sense that Team Flare wanted to stop him? They were taking it to extremes, in Ryan’s opinion, but that didn’t prove anything.

So he decided to go with the Grunts to speak with the Scientists, with the thought that if they were going to harm him, they would have done so already.

The Grunts led him down many flights of stairs, and up many more, so that by the time they stopped, Ryan had no idea where he was. They had came to a halt at a pair of tall doors, inlaid with numerous precious metals. The doors were an imposing sight, such that Ryan felt even more nervous than before. It was as if the mysterious leader wanted to show off his absolute power by displaying these metals, without a care for thieves. Ryan supposed that the show of power alone was enough to frighten most rogues away.

He was just bracing himself to enter to speak with the Scientists when a faint ring came from behind him. One of his captors sighed, bringing out a Holo Caster. Ryan had never seen one, but he knew it from Professor Sycamore’s description.

“Jarret here,” said the Grunt, speaking into the Holo Caster. It was on audio mode, and so didn’t display the speaker. Whoever it was on the other end must have known that Ryan was with them, and so didn’t want to reveal anything about their identity. Whatever the Grunts had said earlier, Ryan wasn’t convinced he wasn’t a prisoner.

“Uh-huh,” said Jarret. “Yes, ma’am. Right away.”

He put away the Holo Caster and turned to Ryan and the other Grunts. “Change of plan. We’re bringing him to a cell for now. Miss Celosia is away on business, and he’ll wait there until she returns.”

The others nodded to show they understood. Ryan sighed. Yes, he was most definitely a prisoner now.

After navigating a few more twists, turns, and flights of stairs, Ryan found himself outside another door, though this was did not look nearly so impressive as the earlier ones. It was filthy in places, and exuded a pungent odor.

One of Ryan’s captors kicked the door open instead of pushing it, as if afraid of getting dirt on his red suit. The odor intensified as the door swung open, revealing a short hallway with prison cells on either side. There was only one other prisoner that Ryan could see, huddled in a corner, covered in filthy rags.

“Here,” grunted one of the Grunts, slamming a key into one of the cell doors. He opened it, and motioned for Ryan to go in. There was nothing in the cell but a small stool, a blanket, and a chamber pot, which did not look as if it had been cleaned in a while, and was probably what gave off such a foul stench.

Ryan muttered something under his breath that Elder Arhan wouldn’t have liked, but stepped into the cell anyway.

It was hours before anyone came into the prison room, and when the door finally opened, Ryan jerked out of a stupor and rushed to the front of the cell. A Grunt stood there; not one of the ones who had led him to the cell. The other prisoner shifted for a moment, but did not reveal his face.

“You’re to speak with the Scientists, now,” said the Grunt, unlocking Ryan’s cell. He did not open the door for Ryan, however, so Ryan pushed it open himself. He stepped out, and then followed the Grunt out of the room, leaving the other prisoner behind.

Ryan was greeted by a wave of fresh air as he left the prison room. He had grown used to the stink of the chamber pots, and so even the musty underground air of the laboratories smelled clean to him.

The Grunt led him back through the maze of hallways, until they stopped at a door that Ryan supposed was the same one he had nearly gone through earlier, although they all looked the same to him. The Grunt shoved it open.

The room in which Ryan now found himself was one of grandeur, with marble floors and walls, and gold-leaf on the ceiling. It was so unlike the dingy prison room that Ryan found it hard to believe that they were in the same building, if one could call it a building.

Four women were seated on a dais, behind a sort of podium. They all wore a uniform of red, similar to the one worn by the five Grunts Ryan had seen, but far more ornate. These uniforms were meant to show authority. In addition to this, each had a different hair color, which was very bright, but did not look dyed.

Ryan was led to a chair in the center of the room, in which he supposed he was to sit. He sat obligingly, and waited for the women to speak.

“We are the Scientists, and the topmost administrators in the organization of Team Flare,” intoned the one with purple hair. Her voice was completely devoid of boastfulness, or indeed any emotion at all. She sat in the middle, and appeared to have the most authority. Could she be the mysterious leader? Ryan dismissed the thought immediately; the leader would not reveal himself or herself so easily after going to such lengths to keep his or her identity a secret.

“There is no reason why you should not know our names,” said the purple-haired woman, as if reading Ryan’s thoughts, “especially since when we eventually release you, as we plan to, you will no doubt hear them from Sycamore. I am Celosia. To my right is Mable…” – she indicated the woman with blue hair – “...and Aliana…” – she now gestured at the one with golden hair – “...while Bryony sits on my left.” She pointed to the last one, who had green hair.

“Together,” Celosia continued, “we are the very highest authority in Team Flare, save for our honored leader. His name you will not learn from us,” she added, seeing the look on Ryan’s face.

“We have decided to speak with you regarding your part in the events to come,” said Mabel. “First, however, we would like to learn your name. And do tell the truth, for Celosia always knows when you lie.”

Ryan hesitated for a long moment, and then gave his name.

“Ryan…” said Bryony, making a quick note on a pad of paper before her. “How is it that you came to be with Sycamore and his band of Trainers?”

“He came to my hometown and offered me a chance to save the world,” said Ryan rather stiffly, provoking an amused laugh from Bryony. She jotted down his response to this as well, evidently taking notes for the duration of the meeting.

“Save the world from us, I would imagine,” said Celosia. “Sycamore has never had a talent for subtlety. And nor do you, I might add.”

This drew another round of laughter, this time from all the other Scientists. Ryan decided it was best to say nothing.

“Well, if that’s the case, we should also offer you a chance to save the world,” said Aliana.

“How’s that?” asked Ryan. “You’re the ones it’s in danger from.”

“And I wonder who told you that? I’d hazard a guess at Sycamore,” said Aliana with a raised eyebrow.

“So what if it was?” said Ryan defiantly. He was finding that he was growing to like Team Flare less and less, with their improperly maintained prison cells and their wit at his and Professor Sycamore’s expense.

“So the world is in danger from Sycamore and his idea of an Elemental Spectrum,” said Aliana. “He plans to stop us with it, but we present no danger to him or anyone. And after he stops us, what prevents the power from going to his head, and him trying to conquer Kalos with it?”

“Professor Sycamore is an honorable man, and I’m starting to think your supposedly honored leader isn’t!” said Ryan. He had to admit that it wasn’t his best retort, but it would do.

“We shall take that as an unwillingness on your part to join us?” said Celosia, almost dangerously.

“Yes,” said Ryan with defiance.

“Very well,” Celosia snarled. “Take him away!”

The Grunt motioned for Ryan to follow him, and they left the grand room.

A few hours later, back in his cell, Ryan was awakened from a nap on the blanket by a shuffling sound, and he realized that the other prisoner was making his way over to him. Ryan scrambled back, but the prisoner lifted the hood of his ragged coat, revealing the head of a young man not much older than Ryan. The prisoner’s hair was pure white, and his features were hawklike and sharp, though he couldn’t have been over twenty.

“Who are you?” Ryan managed to say.

“I? I might ask you the same question,” said the prisoner in a hoarse voice, as if he hadn’t used it in quite some time. “I have been the only one here for nigh on five years, and now you appear. Team Flare hasn’t taken a captive in a long while. What news of the outside world can you give me?”

Ryan thought frantically. If this young man had been imprisoned for five years, he must have done something really horrible to deserve it. Ryan relaxed a bit, however, when he recalled that Team Flare were the ones to imprison him, and an enemy of Team Flare was a friend of Ryan.

“I’m Ryan,” he said, extending a hand. The other prisoner shook it through the bars of the cell. “I was captured by Team Flare after they raided a Pokémon Center where we had stopped for the night.”

“We?” inquired the other prisoner.

“Professor Sycamore,” said Ryan, and the prisoner inhaled sharply in recognition, “and seventeen others.”

At this, the prisoner started. “Seventeen? Then you’re the eighteenth….He really means to do it, doesn’t he?”

“Do what?” asked Ryan in confusion.

“An Elemental Spectrum,” said the prisoner, as if that were obvious.

“Oh. Yes, he does.”

“I never would have thought to see it,” breathed the prisoner. He began to mutter to himself. Ryan fidgeted self-consciously, and the prisoner seemed to notice that he was there.

“Oh, excuse me,” said the prisoner. “My name is Zavier.” He pronounced the name with two syllables, and the emphasis on the second. He and Ryan shook hands again.

“Why are you a prisoner here?” asked Ryan. “Did you do something against Team Flare?”

Zavier laughed. “I guess you could say that. Or rather, my father did. He was the king of Kalos, once.”

As far as Ryan knew, the final Kalosian kings had ruled three-thousand years ago. He looked at Zavier uncomprehendingly, until the latter laughed again.

“My father was Azoth, better known in the last century or so as AZ,” said Zavier. “Let me tell you his story.

“Azoth was the last king of Kalos, over three-thousand years before now. His treacherous brother Lysson, however, wanted the kingdom for himself. Lysson’s schemes eventually escalated into a massive war, felt across more regions than this one.

“Azoth and his beloved Pokémon, Floette, fought valiantly in the war, but Floette was ultimately killed. After the war had ended, and Lysson defeated, Azoth built a machine that was intended to harness the great force of Life itself, and restore life to Floette.

“But there can be no life without death, and so it was that the machine revived Floette at the cost of the lives of many Pokémon who fought in the war. When Floette saw what Azoth had done, although it was not intentional, the Pokémon left him. Devastated, Azoth stepped down from his role as king, ended the monarchy, and began to wander the world for his beloved Floette. His wanderings took him as far as the ends of Kalos, and possibly even beyond.

“He had been wandering for three-thousand years, as he had been made immortal by the same machine that had restored Floette’s life, when he was captured by the leader of Team Flare. Lysandre is a descendant of Lysson, and he is determined to finish his ancestor’s work. Lysandre had tried to take a key that Azoth still wore, the key to the machine, which has since been renamed ‘the ultimate weapon.’

“Lysandre’s intention was to use the ultimate weapon to unleash his ancestor’s wrath upon the world. He was only stopped by the efforts of one Calem, who, with his Pokémon, battled Lysandre for control of the machine. Their clash was one of extreme power, with a special bond on each side. Eventually, Calem won both the battle and the loyalty of the forces of Life and Death. Lysandre was defeated.”

“What are the forces of Life and Death?” asked Ryan. “I’ve heard stories, but they don’t explain….”

“The Pokémon of Life and Death are legendary, such that only Lysandre, Calem, and a few others can rightly claim to have seen them,” said Zavier. “The Pokémon of Life is said to take the form of the letter X, while Death takes the shape of the letter Y. There is also said to be a third Pokémon, which takes the form of the letter Z.”

“The Breaker?” asked Ryan, remembering one of Elder Arhan’s stories.

“Aye, the Breaker. Its true name, of course, is not that, but it has never been written anywhere. I think it likely that Lysandre knows its name, as does my father.

“Anyway, the Breaker appears only when Life and Death are too imbalanced. It breaks both Pokémon’s respective auras, and so quells their fighting. Once the auras of Life and Death are broken, balance is restored, and Order reigns once again.”

“Why does it need to stop them if the Life Pokémon gets too powerful? Wouldn’t that be a good thing?”

“Endless life? For all beings? No. Immortality is not the blessing it would seem. Let us leave it at that. But it is easy to see how important Order is. Kalosians even curse by its name, in such phrases as ‘by Order!’ or ‘break you!’.

“But as I was saying, Lysandre was defeated. Now, however, his dream remains in the hearts of Team Flare. They mean to exact revenge on the ones who thwarted their leader before. The Pokémon League, Calem, Professor Sycamore, and any Pokémon Trainers not loyal to Team Flare will be in danger. This includes you and your Elemental Spectrum. I see now why it was so important for Professor Sycamore to assemble you quickly.”

Ryan sat for a moment in silence, utterly dumbfounded by Zavier’s story. Then he returned to his senses, and he asked, “What became of Azoth?”

“I have not seen my father in ten years,” said Zavier. “Not since the destruction of Geosenge Town, for that was the location of the ultimate weapon. He attended a festival in Calem’s honor, battled with him, and then apparently vanished from the face of the earth, after Floette finally returned to him. I haven’t any idea where he is.

“I do know this, though. He is not dead. My father was, is, and will always be immortal. The weapon was destroyed, but that particular effect was not lifted. It did something to my father’s genetic structure, which has been passed to me.”

“So...you’re immortal?” Ryan felt just a bit dizzy. “How old are you?”

Zavier laughed again. “Only eighteen. While my father, myself, and all of our descendants are blessed – or perhaps cursed – with immortality, we still age as normal, at least until the human body reaches its limit.”

“Oh,” said Ryan. He could think of nothing else.

“It is because Team Flare thinks I hold some great secret that I am imprisoned, a secret passed down to me from my father,” said Zavier, changing the subject.

“And do you have such a secret?” asked Ryan curiously.

“Yes,” said Zavier simply. “But I cannot tell you, or their cameras would detect it.”

Ryan nodded. “Thank you.”

“For what?” asked Zavier, cocking his head quizzically.

“For talking to me. I did not expect to find anyone here at all, much less a friend.”

Zavier smiled. Another thought occurred to Ryan, however, and he asked, “Wait, why did you refer to Lysandre in the present tense? I thought he perished in the explosion of Geosenge Town.”

“Oh, no, he didn’t perish, though no one, including himself, is sure how,” said Zavier, and his smile faded. “There has only ever been one leader of Team Flare. The mysterious new leader is still none other than Lysandre.”

Chapter Thoughts & Annotations:

Let me start off by saying that this is possibly my favorite chapter yet. There are finally some answers to questions that have been thrown around for a while.
First, I have to note that the pronunciation for Zavier is zuh-VEER, not ZAY-vee-ur. This is honestly the only pronunciation I care about in this story. Anything else you can pronounce however you like, just don't call Zavier ZAY-vee-ur. :p

On other notes, I gave AZ my own non-canon first name, Azoth. This comes from Project AZOTH in ORAS, which, when I first read it, I thought was AZ's first name. :p So anyway, now it is.

Also, yeah. Lysandre was the leader all along. Who didn't see that coming. :p

Yes...Skyleaf. :p

And has everyone else stopped reading? Or was there just not much to say about Chapter 10?

In any case, here's Chapter 11.
Fylon jerked awake.

It took him only a moment to recall where he was, and only a moment more to see that his bags had been searched while he slept. He knew immediately, of course, who the culprit had been. He hadn’t trusted Matt before, and now his suspicions had been confirmed.

Fylon shook Arin, telling him to wake. Arin moaned sleepily, but sat up anyway. He rubbed his eyes, and then noticed what Fylon had seen only a minute before.

“Anything taken?” Arin asked.

Fylon spread out the contents of the bags, taking inventory, and then stopped when he came to the red suit Professor Sycamore had given him just the day before. He sighed, inwardly cursing his foolishness at holding on to the suit. Of course, the workers had seen the suit and assumed that they were part of Team Flare.

“We’ll have to leave,” said Fylon. “Immediately.”

“I think that’ll be rather hard,” said Arin. “Look.”

Matt and at least five other workers filed into the room. Fylon guessed that there was a camera in the room, and the workers had seen them wake.

“We know the truth!” said Matt, though his voice shook. “You’re Team Flare!”

“We are not!” cried Arin. “We told you that yesterday.”

“Explain the suit, then,” said Matt, and his voice shook less.

“The suit was given to us by Professor Sycamore, in the hope that we may infiltrate Team Flare and cause them to collapse,” said Fylon, though he could see that Matt didn’t believe him.

“You lie!” said Matt furiously. One of the other workers handed him a Poké Ball, which he activated at once. Fylon’s astonishment at seeing the Poké Ball lasted only a moment, before he and Arin activated their own.

Braviary and Noivern appeared in flashes of light, while a Pokémon that seemed to be comprised of a trio of silver spheres, and six magnets, came out of Matt’s.

“Magneton,” roared Matt, “Thunderbolt!”

Fylon had trained against Nika and her Zebstrika for over a year, and so he knew exactly what to do when faced with a Thunderbolt. He did not care to battle in such close quarters, but Matt was giving him no choice. “Stir up the dust, Braviary,” he said quietly.

Braviary flapped its huge wings, using the wind generated to blow up the dust lying on walls and infrequently-used tables. Fylon’s experience was that there were often enough metal particles in dust to adequately disperse a Thunderbolt. So it was that when Magneton fired off a bolt of lightning, the bolt was stopped by the near-invisible wall of dust motes in the air before Braviary.

Matt’s surprise didn’t show through, and Fylon was struck by a sudden thought. These men didn’t care whether they won or lost. They only wanted to do as much damage as possible to any whom they believed were a part of Team Flare. In that instant of understanding, Fylon brought out his Poké Ball and returned Braviary to it.

Now Matt stood dumbfounded. “Fight back, break you!” he snarled, striking a threatening position. Magneton vibrated dangerously. A look of bewilderment was on Arin’s face.

“We aren’t Team Flare,” said Fylon firmly. “And we won’t fight you. It would lead to more violence, and we can’t afford to lose anyone in the battle against Team Flare. We will leave your … hospitality … now. Do not try to stop us.”

Something changed in Matt’s expression, and while he still looked wary, he returned Magneton to its Poké Ball. “I’m still not sure I believe you. By Order, I’m not even sure I can believe you. But it’s probably best if you leave now. Better for everyone.”

Fylon nodded, and gestured to Arin, who returned Noivern to its Poké Ball. Matt jerked his head, indicating that they should follow, as he swept out of the room.

Outside, Fylon and Arin bade farewell to the power plant workers, and left without another word. Once they were out of earshot, Arin asked, “Reckon we can risk flying yet?”

“Probably not, unfortunately,” said Fylon. “I don’t want to be caught in another sandstorm, but I’d take that over Team Flare. We walk the rest of the way.”

Arin nodded reluctantly, although he started walking anyway. “I hate walking.”

Fylon closed his eyes and smiled, putting his hands behind his head as he followed Arin. “Come on, Arin, it’s not that bad. Don’t desert the mission now!”

Arin walked a few more steps, not getting the supposed joke at first. Then he whirled around to face Fylon. “You call that wit? Order! That was awful!”

Fylon smirked, opening one eye. “We’ll be there before you know it, Arin.”

Arin grumbled, shaking his head, but he resumed his pace. “As long as you don’t make any more ‘jokes’. Noivern might have to punish you if you do that.”

Fylon pretended not to hear this last part, instead walking along in silence. Arin followed, increasing his stride a bit to catch up. And so they walked, under the noonday sun, on their way to Coumarine City.

Ryan’s shock at hearing the identity of Team Flare’s leader has nearly vanished overnight. He awoke after a restless sleep on his ragged blanket to see Zavier huddled against the corner of his cell, in the same position as he had been in when Ryan first entered the position. Zavier looked up sleepily and saw Ryan. “Morning. Lovely day, isn’t it?”

Ryan snorted. Zavier cracked a smile, but sobered again almost immediately.

What must this man’s life have been like for the last decade? Ryan wondered. What made him so … serious?

“Zavier,” said Ryan, “tell me more about the Breaker.”

“Sure,” said Zavier, still slightly sleepily. “What do you want to know?”

“What is the Breaker, exactly?”

“Well, the thing to remember is that even though we talk about Life, Death, and the Breaker as entities or deities, they’re still Pokémon. I realize if Professor Sycamore hasn’t trained you yet, you don’t know exactly what Pokémon are. I’ll do my best to explain.

“Pokémon are creatures whose DNA, different from ours, gives them unique powers and abilities. Each Pokémon is slightly different, but there are multiple ways we – that is to say, professors – can classify them.

“The main one is by type. There are eighteen known types, like Water, or Electric, or Dragon. Likewise, in an Elemental Spectrum, there are eighteen Trainers. This is because each one is a specialist of a different type.

“Types affect a Pokémon’s role in battle as well. Some types are more powerful when matched against another. Fire, for example, is weak to Water. Just common sense. Some are a little trickier, however, and it’s important to learn them all.

“Each Pokémon also has what’s called a moveset, which is a set of four moves that the Pokémon can use. These moves are also given types for classification.

“Last, there are Abilities, with a capital A. This is like a trait the Pokémon has, which affects what happens in the battle. Some Abilities grant more power to specific types of moves, while others can directly affect another Pokémon. Does that all make sense?”

“I think so,” said Ryan, who had been hanging on every word. “Pokémon are classified by type, and moves are too. Pokémon can learn up to four moves, and each Pokémon has an Ability, which affects the battle.”

“Right,” said Zavier. “Now consider the forces of Life and Death. No one knows exactly what type they are, or what moves they can use, or really anything else. The force of Life is said to glimmer in lights of many colors, and it has an undeniably Light aura. The force of Death, on the other hand, creates a vast shadow wherever it goes, and its aura is one of Darkness. But beyond that, we know nothing.

“And then there’s the Breaker, referred to as Order by some. Whenever Life and Death get unbalanced, something about the Breaker’s aura restores order. It reverses the auras of the other two, so to speak.”

“What does it look like?” asked Ryan earnestly.

Zavier hesitated, but he said, “Even on that point, records are vague. It can take the shape of any number of creatures. It has been serpentine in some accounts, and canine in others. Sometimes it’s just a massive, shifting, pile of goo. It transforms into whatever it feels will balance the world.”

Ryan could see that this was all Zavier wanted to say on the matter. So he changed the subject: “Zavier, are there any legends about the Breaker?”

“Legends?” said Zavier uncomprehendingly.

“Stories,” said Ryan. “Surely there are stories about the Breaker. And you must’ve heard them.”

Zavier nodded slowly. “Very well,” he said. “I’ll tell you the story of how our race first came into existence.

“Long ago, the world was much simpler than it is now. Pokémon abounded, and humans did not exist at all. This world, however, was … well, it was boring. Nothing ever really happened, when the world’s only residents were Pokémon. They built some makeshift civilizations by themselves, but it never could compare to what we have today. There were no technological advancements of any kind, and this is because of one simple fact: The Pokémon lacked ingenuity. They could not make any significant advancements without innovation and new ideas.

“Tired of watching this unchanging routine, the force of Life created a new form. The first humans, built of clay and earth. The force of Life gave them breath, and implanted in their minds all the traits the Pokémon lacked. Ingenuity and innovation, yes, but also logic, and ethics, and many other things as well.

“The humans coexisted with the Pokémon wonderfully, and together, each making up for the other’s inabilities, they made many fantastic advancements. They advanced too quickly, however. With their new technology, humans began to construct devices that would allow them the same abilities as Pokémon; power over fire, and water, and many other things besides. This shifted the balance of the world.

“Seeing what Life had done, the force of Death went to the Breaker. When Order saw what had happened, it agreed with Death. Balance would have to be restored. So Order allowed Death to infuse the humans with just a little bit of destruction, so that their technology would fall into disrepair, and eventually be destroyed. The Pokémon were no longer unneeded, and balance was returned to the world.

“And that is how the world has existed ever since,” finished Zavier. “Or, at least, until the explosion of Geosenge Town….”

Ryan wasn’t sure what to make of this. He found it hard to believe that humans had once been clay, but he supposed it was just a legend. Zavier didn’t seem to want to say anything else, so Ryan sighed, and turned to the small window in the room. The noonday sun glared just overhead. He wondered how much longer it would be until the professor came for him.

Five hours after noon, Fylon and Arin arrived in Coumarine City. The city was huge, even if it wasn’t quite as big as Lumiose. Fylon noted that it was still a lot bigger than his hometown.

The city was built, really in two separate parts, on the edge of a cliff overlooking the Azure Bay. The disparate parts of the city weren’t far apart, but they were on opposite sides of a large hill that made pedestrian travel long and arduous. Fortunately, a monorail had been constructed some time ago, bridging the gap between the two parts of Coumarine City.

The landscape of the city was also very different from the harsh, barren terrain of the Lumiose Badlands. Being on the border of the Azure Bay meant that the land was lush and fertile, and plant life abounded. Fylon and Arin had already passed many trees and bushes that they could not name.

Their first stop in the city was the Coumarine Hotel. The hotel was a tall, wide building in the eastern part of the city. Fylon and Arin didn’t even have to ride the monorail to find it, much to Arin’s dismay.

Straightaway after checking in, Fylon and Arin found their room, and Arin flopped onto one of the two beds. Fylon put down the bags he had been carrying, set Braviary’s Poké Ball on the nightstand, and laid down on his own bed. With neither feeling up to much of anything, they silently agreed to rest for a few hours before continuing to pursue their goal.

Three hours later, with evening imminent, Fylon awoke with a start. He hadn’t even realized he had fallen asleep. He shook Arin awake, and then began to fix a light supper from the remaining rations in their bags.

As Fylon worked, Arin started chattering again. “So now we’re in Coumarine City! It’s so big! Can we ride the monorail now?”

Fylon sighed, shaking his head. “No, Arin. We’re going to check the Shalour Prison tomorrow, to make sure Xerosic hasn’t escaped, or anything like that. Then we’ll look around for Korrina.”

“But the monorail!” protested Arin.

“We can ride the monorail tomorrow, on our way to Shalour City,” said Fylon, handing Arin a bowl of stew, which he accepted gratefully.

“Fair enough,” said Arin, now happily eating the stew.

Fylon sat on his bed, eating his own bowl of stew. It wasn’t bad, but it couldn’t compare to Morgan’s cooking. He sighed, really wishing he had a few slices of good oran bread.

Arin, having gobbled up all of his stew, now settled back against his pillow contentedly. He appeared lost in thought, so Fylon didn’t disturb him; instead finishing his stew in silence. Afterward, he took both bowls to the small sink in the room and rinsed them with cold water. He dried them with an old rag from one of the bags. When he turned back to Arin, Fylon found that his friend was already asleep. Smiling to himself, Fylon climbed into his own bed, and was drifting off to sleep in moments.

Thoughts and Annotations:

Note that Matt doesn't already have the Poké Ball. One of the workers hands it to him. They only have one Pokémon between them, Magneton, which also helps them work in the power plant.

Zavier makes a few nods to the 10% and Core forms of Zygarde. Anyone catch that? :p

And incidentally, what did you think of Zavier's explanations and story?

And last mention is to Fylon's and Arin's puns. Yes, they were awful. I can promise the rest will be at least as bad.

I quite like Zavier's explanations of the legends. Did you make them up yourself? They are very nice! ^_^

I quite like Zavier's explanations of the legends. Did you make them up yourself? They are very nice! ^_^
Yep! Borrowed inspiration from myths like Prometheus with the humans from clay and whatnot, but yeah. Thanks! :D

We're almost caught up to where I am writing the story. :O

Roc sat on the edge of his bed, in a room in the Magenta Pokémon Center. Seconds earlier, Julian had poked his head into the room and said that the professor was holding a meeting in the lobby. Blake and Rosuke left with him at once, but Roc had stayed behind. He was still terribly nervous something would go wrong with the plan, despite Ani’s and Nika’s assurances to the contrary. Fists clenched and palms sweaty, he shook his head angrily. It was no good. No one would listen to him.

The door opened and Ani looked into the room. “Roc, the professor wants you to be at the meeting.”

“What if the plan doesn’t work, Ani?” said Roc, ignoring her statement. “What if something … happens?”

Ani sighed. “Roc, we’ve been over this. The professor just isn’t wrong. He never is.”

“How do you know that?” demanded Roc. “Nika?”

“Well, yes,” said Ani, somewhat defensively.

“How many escape plans do you suppose Professor Sycamore devised while Nika was with the Spectrum?” said Roc.

Now Ani looked uncomfortable. “I’m going back to the meeting,” she said finally. “I suggest you come too. You can ask the professor himself about this.”

She turned and left.

Order,” said Roc angrily, but he rose from the bed to follow Ani down to the lobby.

Professor Sycamore was seated in a chair in the lobby, not unlike Serena and the other Spectrum members, except for his demeanor. He made it look like a throne. Roc bit off the curse he was about to mutter at Professor Sycamore’s dignified air – how could the professor act like this when Ryan’s life was in danger? – but he took a seat in a vacant chair next to Nika and Serena nonetheless. Nika nodded to him respectfully when he sat, but none of the other Spectrum members paid him any heed at all. He wished Fylon were there. It would be nice to have a more familiar face, even if he had only known Fylon a few hours more than the rest.

“Roc,” said the professor, inclining his head. “Thank you for joining us.”

Roc nodded grudgingly, still casting wary glances at everyone else seated. He noted a scruffy-looking fellow standing by himself in the corner, head bowed. Serena saw where he was looking.

“Yes, he’s a spy,” said Serena softly. “And not a very good one, either. The professor marked him as soon as he entered the room, just as you seem to have done. Pay him no mind. We leave immediately after this meeting. He’ll have no chance to let Team Flare know we’re coming.”

Roc nodded again. Professor Sycamore spoke. “We are all assembled. Let us begin the meeting. Serena?”

Serena stood and pulled out the same device she had used to display a hologram before. She placed it on the floor, this time, and everyone hastily moved their chairs away from it. Serena activated the device with the push of a button, and it expanded into the translucent model of Team Flare’s laboratory. In the corner, the spy’s eyes widened.

“Our objective, of course, is simple,” said Serena. “We infiltrate Team Flare’s underground labs and free Ryan. The means, naturally, are more complicated.

“As we discussed before, the best course of action would be to create a diversion. This will involve about half of us, while the other half locates the prison cells. The diversion will have to be far enough away from the cells to draw all the guards, leaving the cells open. Therefore, we need someone who can, either with their own mind or with their Pokémon’s assistance, memorize a series of warp panels. The professor tells me Fylon would have been good for this, but as we can’t use him….”

Roc’s eyes snapped around the room, glancing at each of the Spectrum in turn. His eyes lingered a bit longer on Ani – her memory was unmatched back home – but she did not volunteer. Eventually, a young man wearing nearly all purple spoke up. “Espeon could do that,” he said, holding up a Poké Ball.

Professor Sycamore nodded thoughtfully. “Due to Calm Mind, no doubt. Yes, I’m sure Espeon could.”

“Taunt,” muttered Blake, a man not much older than the purple-clothed one, but dressed in black. He, Roc, and Rosuke shared a room upstairs, and he stood out in Roc’s mind because he seemed to shift in and out of view, especially when Roc looked straight at him. Roc suspected it had something to do with the jacket he wore, for when Blake took it off, he appeared to solidify.

“Yes, that’s true as well,” said Professor Sycamore. Then he appeared to remember Ani and Roc, who were both staring at him with looks of bewilderment. “Calm Mind and Taunt are both Pokémon moves,” he explained. “Peter’s Espeon can use Calm Mind,” – the professor indicated the purple-clothed man – “which essentially empties its mind of all thought. Then it learns new ideas with surprising acuity. Blake noted that most of the Pokémon Team Flare use can use Taunt, which prevents moves like Calm Mind from functioning.

“It’s a good point, Blake,” he continued. “If Espeon can’t use Calm Mind, we could be stuck in here. We should probably rely on human brainpower, then. Any volunteers?”

Ani shifted uncomfortably, looking to Nika. Nika nodded back encouragingly. After a minute Ani raised a timid, trembling hand.

Professor Sycamore nodded with approval. “Perfect, Ani. You’ll lead the team creating a diversion.”

“Professor, may I go with that group as well?” asked Nika, leaving unspoken to give Ani support and familiarity. Professor Sycamore seemed to understand, however, and he nodded.

“Ani leads the diversion group, which currently consists of her and Nika,” said the professor. “Anyone else?”

Roc sighed, and raised his hand. Nika was the only one he knew aside from Ani, albeit not well. He trusted her more than the rest of them. Out of the corner of Roc’s eye, he saw two others raise their hands; a tall man of twenty or so, and a younger girl, perhaps somewhere between Arin and himself in age.

“Yes,” said the professor, nodding to each of them. “Julian and Amaline. Roc, I think not. Ryan will not want to see only strangers upon his rescue. I do think Warren and Mica…” He turned to two others, who both shrugged. Warren was one of the oldest Roc had seen in the Spectrum, in his early twenties, although his hair had a faintly greyish tinge to it. Mica was a youth, around Roc’s age. He wore a long coat, but his arms were not in the sleeves.

Roc accepted Professor Sycamore’s refusal to allow him on the diversion team with nothing more than resignation. Just get this over with. The sooner Ryan’s back, the better.

Professor Sycamore nodded again. “Good, good. And that leaves one or two more, if we’re splitting seven-eight.”

Two young women wearing different shades of brown and green looked at each other for a moment. “Why not,” said one, laughing. “We could use the challenge.”

That’s all it is to you, thought Roc, a challenge? Strangely, however, he didn’t feel any emotion about it. He just accepted it with the same resignation.

“Ani, Nika, Julian, Amaline, Warren, Mica, Clair, and Erell,” said the professor, ticking them off on his fingers. “That’s eight. Serena, would you go with that group?”

Serena inclined her head slightly. It wasn’t quite a full nod, but Professor Sycamore seemed to take it as one. “Then, to clarify, we have Roc, Blake, Rosuke, Sera, Liam, Morgan, and Peter going to the prison to free Ryan, yes?”

A general mutter of assent passed through the group.

“We have our plan,” said Professor Sycamore. “Meeting adjourned. And someone deal with that spy!”

The scruffy fellow in the corner stood up straight sharply, and tried to make a dash for the doors, but Blake – here one moment and there the next, faster than Roc’s eyes could follow – barred his way. “No you don’t,” said Blake, almost lazily, a grin on his face. Moments later, the entire Spectrum surrounded the impostor. The man snarled and pulled a small purple object from his pocket. Blake seemed to realize what was about to happen a split second before it did. A look of surprise flashed across his face as the spy threw down the object.

And then nothing. Nothing but a thick, pale purple smoke, obscuring even Roc’s hand, inches from his face. Dimly, he heard a smoke alarm going off, and water began to fall.

Before the water could even disperse the smoke, the alarms stopped, and the smoke dispersed seemingly of its own accord. Then Roc saw Rosuke, Poké Ball in hand, and his huge purple batlike Pokémon – Crobat, Rosuke had told Roc it was called, when Roc asked – waving all four of its wings incredibly fast, clearing the air. The spy, however, was gone.

Order!” Rosuke cursed. “Should’ve known he’d have a Smoke Ball!”

“Nothing we can do about that now,” said Professor Sycamore urgently, “But we know where he went, yes? We must get to the lab now, before he warns them of our arrival!”

No one hesitated. The Spectrum sprinted out the door, Roc dashing just as fast as the rest, leaving an utterly bewildered group of Pokémon Center guests behind.

As he flew through the sky, bounding from rooftop to rooftop, Jarret removed his scruffy jacket and threw it behind him. It would only hinder him, and it was vital that he get back to headquarters to warn the leader as soon as possible.

He’d never been good at disguises, but Eldan and Alma were out on another mission, and there was no way he’d ever let Bertram handle a mission as important as this. So his own imperfect disguises were all he had.

His arms were above his head, grasping the feet of his small red birdlike Pokémon, Fletchinder. Fletchinder wasn’t quite big enough to carry Jarret, but it was marginally helpful in gaining a bit more height with each bound. Jarret knew he must look silly to any who saw him below, but there was no likelihood of that. It was raining again, and no one went out in the rain.

Sycamore and the children – he thought of them that way, though most were nearly as old as he was – were staying at the Magenta Plaza Pokémon Center. Jarret could see why Sycamore would have chosen there – it was much harder to attack a building so close in proximity to one’s own headquarters, or one might reveal the location of said headquarters. But it also made it easier and faster for Jarret to get back.

He reached the laboratories only a few moments later. He recalled Fletchinder into its Poké Ball, and keyed in a passcode that opened the door to the Hangar.

A guard was on duty – Emmett, Jarret thought his name was – but he was fast asleep, his legs on his desk. Jarret closed the door behind him and dashed over to the other set of doors, on the other side of the Hangar.

He ran through twisting hallways, up and down staircases, but he finally arrived at the control room, in the deepest part of headquarters. He pushed open the doors, and found Gaston at once.

“Sir,” he panted, “Sycamore is going to attack. Now! He wants to free the prisoner!”

Gaston, seated at a keyboard and monitor, turned sharply. “What? The leader must be informed at once!”

Gaston pressed a button on his headset, and Jarret heard the leader’s voice resonate. “Gaston?”

“Yes, sir. Sycamore’s attacking. He’ll likely be here in moments.”

There was a long pause, and then the leader’s voice came through again. “Ready the Scientists and whoever else we have on hand. Tell everyone to prepare for trouble.”

“Yes, sir,” said Gaston. He hung up the call, and then keyed in a command on his computer. Then he adjusted the microphone on his headset, and spoke, and Jarret heard his words sound from the intercom in the room, “All administrators to the Hangar. Intruders have been sighted. Prepare for battle.”

“Battle indeed,” said the leader of Team Flare, leaning back in the swiveling chair in his study, his fingertips together. “The bait has been taken. Now, they’ll be finished once and for all. Danger is imminent for you, Sycamore.”

He began to laugh madly, without any true mirth. Sycamore would rue the day he had ever crossed the descendant of ancient kings.

Lysandre.

Chapter Thoughts & Annotations:

This was a fairly straightforward chapter, I think. It didn't do too much besides set up the next one, where Sycamore's plan is put into action.

On the other hand, however, it does reveal the crux of the plan itself, so make sure you pay attention to that. :p

Note the continued references to how Blake doesn't appear all corporeal. Anyone want to hazard a guess (or a very bold prediction) as to why that is?

A bold prediction, you say? I believe that's where I come in!

BOLD PREDICTION:
Blake's coat is made out of Zoroark's fur, which allows him to disappear and reappear.
And tgk gets it on his first try. :p

Can't think of anything else that might warrant a prediction right now, unless you want to predict what will happen in the next chapter. :3

Ani sprinted as fast as she could to keep up with the others. She’d never been a very fast runner back in the village. Thank Order the headquarters of Team Flare were just a few blocks away.

Thank Order? What? Where had she gotten that expression? She supposed she must have picked it up unconsciously from Nika. Does it really matter?

The ruins of a blood-red building came into view. It must have been bigger once; at least a couple stories tall, but now it was a shambles. There was only one door, on a building the size of an outhouse.

Professor Sycamore opened the door and jumped back. When nothing appeared, he started forward cautiously, waving the Spectrum to follow.

The building’s interior was completely unfurnished. There was only one rug in the middle of the floor, which the professor looked at suspiciously.

Serena came forward and lifted an edge of the rug, revealing a wooden board underneath. She looked up at Professor Sycamore, smiling wryly. She lifted the rug the rest of the way, and then removed the board. A gaping hole in the floor lay under it, with stairs at the bottom.

Professor Sycamore gestured to the hole, and Blake slipped through it, followed by Julian, and then, one by one, everyone else. Serena climbed down last, replacing the board over her head as she did so. Now they stood in total darkness.

A brief flash of light showed Nika holding an open Poké Ball and her Pokémon appearing beside her. “Zebstrika,” Nika whispered, “illuminate the passage.”

The equestrian Pokémon’s – Zebstrika’s – mane glowed, giving enough light to see ten or so feet before them. Zebstrika started to trot down the passage, Nika running beside it with her hand on its back. The rest of the Spectrum quickly followed suit.

In minutes they came to a set of double doors, marble inlaid with gold. Julian and Rosuke heaved them open. Strangely, as they opened, there was no sound, not even the creak of a hinge.

The adjoining room was a maze of redstone walls reaching six or seven feet from the floor, and polished to prevent climbing. There were two entrances from where they stood. Serena took out the hologram device and activated it. It showed the same room, only now there was a blinking light in their precise location. She studied the hologram for a minute or two, and then deactivated it and handed it to Professor Sycamore.

“This is where we part ways. You’ll need this more than we will,” she said. “Ani can get us back out.”

“And if that doesn’t work, we can blast a hole in the roof,” someone piped up.

Serena smirked. “Or that. But it will work.”

Ani felt a surge of confidence at Serena’s words. Serena gave her a quick smile, and then pointed toward the right of the two entrances. “That leads to the cells, if you follow the map. Just make sure you get all the warp panels right.”

Professor Sycamore accepted the device, stowing it in the pocket of his lab coat. “Thank you. We’ll meet back here in an hour. If the other group isn’t here at the end of that time, the roof may need to be blasted.”

No sooner had the words left his mouth, however, than there was a flash of movement inside the maze, and a burst of light. Everyone turned uneasily toward the maze, and there was a moment of silence. Then a voice rang out. “Croagunk, Poison Jab!”

Hands went to belts, pockets, bags, or, in Warren’s case, an arm-brace, to take out the Poké Balls that would release the Spectrum’s Pokémon. Each of the Spectrum had just pressed the button, however, when Serena shouted, “Psyshock!”

Ani had been rummaging in her pocket for anything that might help against a band of Team Flare Grunts, and had come up with a paper clip, but now whipped her head around in time to see Serena’s eyes blazing with fury. She help out an open Poké Ball, having reacted faster than any of the Spectrum, and trained her gaze on the purple froglike Pokémon that had just emerged from the maze.

Then Ani saw Serena’s Pokémon. It stood on two feet, and its dark red fur grew long and shaggily, almost forming a robe. Its face - with a fox’s features - was both wise and sly, as if it knew everything there was to know in the world, and knew how to put it to its advantage. Red fur grew out of its large pointy ears, but the fur looked for all the world like fire.

At Serena’s command, the Pokémon put its small black forepaws in front of it. In the space between them, the air swirled and bent, with purple waves forming and condensing into a small sphere, which still appeared to be made of the air. The Pokémon drew one paw back and made a sharp hurling motion, and the sphere flew at Croagunk.

As the sphere struck, Croagunk jerked backward as if shocked, and fell over in a faint. Its Trainer, a Team Flare Grunt, stumbled out of the maze and recalled Croagunk into its Poké Ball. Suddenly, however, there were more Grunts flowing from the entrances, at least a dozen, and as many flashes of light as their Pokémon appeared. Serena, never turning from the scene, called through gritted teeth, “Go. I’ll hold them off.”

Professor Sycamore looked doubtful, but at cries of “Thunderbolt!” and “Dark Pulse!” he quickly ushered the Spectrum around the fight and, running, into the maze. The halves split up as planned, but Ani now found herself in a group without Serena.

“Don’t worry, Ani,” said Nika as they ran through the maze, taking turns almost without a second thought; anything to get away from the skirmish behind them. “Serena can get out safely.” She didn’t sound convinced.

Ani nodded unconsciously, even though she didn’t quite believe it either. She heard someone shout a command, and then a scream. She couldn’t be sure it wasn’t Serena.

She gulped uneasily, and ran on.

Roc ran with the rest of the Spectrum in his group down the twists and turns of the maze. Professor Sycamore checked the hologram device periodically to make sure they kept to the right course. Blake ran to Roc’s right, appearing to flicker in and out of existence. “Blake,” he panted, “what is that jacket made of?”

Blake glanced at him, but didn’t break stride. “Now’s hardly the time,” he said, not sounding anywhere near as winded as Roc was. “I’ll tell you later. Conserve your breath.”

Roc nodded grimly. He’d find out sooner or later what made that jacket work as it did. For now, he would just keep running.

It seemed countless turns later that Professor Sycamore called a halt, before a wide blue circle on the floor. “This is a warp panel,” said the professor. “We can only go on one at a time, but it’ll transport us to another panel in the laboratory. This one should lead right to the cells.”

Without further explanation, he stepped onto the circle. It glowed for a moment, and then Professor Sycamore began to fade. When he had disappeared entirely, Blake started forward. The circle glowed again, and Blake vanished. The others stepped on, one at a time, until only Roc was left. He stepped onto the panel, and closed his eyes. It felt as if he were falling asleep.

He jolted back into reality what seemed hours later, but also only moments at the same time. He opened his eyes, and saw the partial Spectrum gazing around at their surroundings. They were no longer in the maze, but in a passageway not unlike the one through which they had entered the laboratories. Professor Sycamore turned and saw Roc.

“We’re all here,” he said briskly. “Let’s keep moving.”

It turned out to be only a few more turns of the hallway before they came to a set of double doors, which Professor Sycamore pushed open without hesitation. A rank odor greeted them.

Roc wrinkled his nose, looking around in the room they had just entered. It was full of cells, but only one was occupied.

Ryan?” said Roc disbelievingly, staring at the grimy lump situated on a thin blanket on the filthy floor. The lump raised its head.

“Roc? You came!” Ryan leapt up and moved to the front of the cage. He gripped the bars. “Can you get me out of here?”

Professor Sycamore made a quick motion, and Blake moved forward. He removed a paper clip from his pocket, and picked the lock in seconds. Ryan shoved open the door and sprang out, nearly tackling Roc in a rough hug. Roc grinned when Ryan pulled away. “Good to have you back, Ryan.”

The grin equal to Roc’s faded from Ryan’s face in a second. He turned to Professor Sycamore. “I’m sorry I doubted you, professor,” he said. “I never should have believed Team Flare was in the right.”

“Mistakes happen, Ryan,” said Professor Sycamore gently. “The important thing is that you’re here and safe now.”

Ryan nodded glumly, but then he seemed to remember something, and his voice took on an urgent tone. “Professor, the leader of Team Flare, it’s Lysandre! He’s not dead after all; he survived, and he’s back, and––”

What?!” said the professor sharply. “How do you know this?”

“Another prisoner, they took him away for interrogation, but that’s not important––”

“They took him away? There’s another prisoner? Who?”

“A man named Zavier. He has white hair – but he’s not old – and features like a hawk––”

“Zavier? You said Zavier? So he’s back as well … That’s good for us. But Lysandre, you said. If he’s here, Serena’s in trouble. I have to go back and help her. No, Blake, you and the others take Ryan and Roc back to the Pokémon Center. I’ll meet you back there. Go!”

Blake hurried out of the prison room, waving a hand for Roc and the others to follow, leaving Professor Sycamore standing there, face resolutely set for the battle he would now have to fight.

Lysandre observed the skirmish in the maze from his study, footage from a security camera being displayed on a monitor.

He noted several things in the footage that he doubted any of his inferiors had picked up on – even Gaston, who would be watching at the same time in his own office. The first was the girl’s improvement. Serena, yes, that was her name.

She’s good enough to be … Order. He closed his eyes, inwardly furious with himself for not realizing it sooner. The girl was Elite Four. Of course. They’d have needed to find a replacement for Malva, and who better than she? Besides Calem, of course. Where was that dratted child these days, anyway?

It didn’t matter. Not right then, at least. Lysandre abruptly stood from his swivelling chair, and picked up a Poké Ball from his desk, where it was used as a paperweight. He looked at it for a long moment, and then cursed, pocketing it, and left his study.

Serena faced down the Team Flare Grunts surrounding her. No one moved, and there was a tense silence. Suddenly, she screamed in rage. This was not going to happen again. She wouldn’t let it.

The Grunts jumped, which gave her the split second she needed to call, “Delphox, Mystical Fire!”

Delphox sprang into action instantly. It drew a wand seemingly out of nowhere and struck it once against its shaggy red fur. The tip of the wand burst into flame. Delphox swirled the wand around its head, leaving a ring of fire in its wake. Just as it had drawn the wand from nowhere, Delphox dropped the wand, and it vanished. It then thrust out its forepaws, and the ring expanded, enveloping the Pokémon of the Team Flare Grunts. Serena felt a mild heat as it passed over her head.

The Grunts’ Pokémon stood there for a moment, seemingly in shock, but then, in unison, all crashed to the ground. The Grunts recalled their Pokémon quickly, and were about to send out more Pokémon, from the Poké Balls they held out, but the figure of a man with his hands behind his back appeared in the shadows of the maze entrance. He stepped out into the light, and now Serena was the one who stood in shock.

No! This can’t be! Not … She recognized the man now. He stood over six feet tall, with spiky red hair and beard styled to look like fire. He wore black and red, down to his boots, and a thin black jacket trimmed with fur. He looked no different than he had ten years ago, when he nearly destroyed Kalos. She remembered his face like it was yesterday. She’d never forget the face of the man whose villainy had stolen her childhood, and with it, all she loved. The face of Lysandre.

He died … He was killed in the explosion! How can he be here? Serena thought desperately. Her face twisted with fury; fury that he managed to survive to wreak his havoc on the world again, fury that he had managed to trap her so easily.

No. She was not a twelve-year-old girl any longer. She was Serena, Fire-type Master of the Elite Four. And she was not going down without a fight.

Lysandre smiled, almost mockingly. “Serena! I confess I’m surprised to see you here. It’s been too long.”

“Never would be too soon, traitor,” she snarled. Lysandre frowned disapprovingly.

“Now, now, that’s not very nice,” he said. “Perhaps you need to be taught manners.”

He brought one hand out from behind his back, revealing a Poké Ball clenched in his fist. He opened the Poké Ball, and a blinding flash of light came with the appearance of his Pokémon.

Pyroar stood on four legs, a feline Pokémon with a huge mane of red-and-yellow-streaked fur. It had been with Lysandre since before the disaster, too. Another thing that hadn’t changed.

“Pyroar,” said Lysandre, voice devoid of emotion, “Fire Blast.”

“Delphox, Mystical Fire!” shouted Serena.

The scorching, five-pronged burst of fire erupting from Pyroar’s mouth met the ring of fire from Delphox’s wand, both exploding in a shower of sparks. The entire room burned with heat from the explosion. As the sparks cleared, Serena saw Professor Sycamore standing to the side, arm outstretched with a Poké Ball.

“No!” she called. “This is my fight. You go help Ani.”

Professor Sycamore hesitated before nodding, but he eventually returned the Poké Ball to his lab coat and dashed back through the maze. Serena turned her attention back to Lysandre.

“No help from Sycamore, eh?” he taunted. “Very well. Let’s finish this. Pyroar, Hyper Voice.”

Pyroar opened its mouth and let out a piercing scream. Delphox cried out, clapping its paws to its considerably large ears. It looked thoroughly incapacitated. “Delphox!” Serena called desperately. “Psyshock!”

The foxlike Pokémon managed to shake off the harm of Pyroar’s Hyper Voice long enough to put out its forepaws in front of it. The air seemed to bend, and purple waves of Delphox’s aura appeared, condensing into a sphere. Delphox suddenly hurled the sphere at Pyroar, but the lionlike Pokémon evaded it almost lazily.

“It’s going to take more than that, Serena,” said Lysandre. He almost sounded disappointed. “Pyroar, end it. Fire Blast.”

Flames erupted once again from Pyroar’s mouth, and Serena knew with a devastating certainty that there was no blocking the attack this time. The flames crashed into Delphox, and Serena’s faithful Pokémon toppled over. The room seemed to grow unbearably hot all of a sudden. A smile slowly spread across Lysandre’s face as he said, “Goodbye, Serena.”

The last thing she heard was the sound of mad laughter before all went black.

Chapter Thoughts and Annotations:

Actually, nothing to say here. The chapter's completely self-explanatory. But if there's any bold predictions anyone *cough*tgk*cough* wants to come up with...

Serena is Kidnapped by Lysandre.
Not sure how bold that is, tgk. I can confirm it will happen, though. :p

OK, how about a different prediction, unrelated to this chapter. Remember Zavier's secret, which he can't tell Ryan or else the cameras would catch it?

What's his secret, do you think? :)

Lysandre was given the power that AZ [Azoth] had upon the ultimate weapon exploding.

Back