Japan's XY9 Set: 'Rage of the Broken Sky,' New 'Battle Strengthening Sets'

Then M Charizard (X) EX should've been fire then? We've already seen that Megas can change type through evolution in the TCG, if they wanted they could've and just released Splash Energy earlier.
But normal charizard in the video game WASNT dragon.

But normal charizard in the video game WASNT dragon.
Let me rephrase that. I mean changing type to dragon is still the same. Just need dark energy. Still need fire energy. Changing gyarados to dark would mean you wouldn't need water energies. BUT we have quagsire and friends, but they don't switch energy cost from fighting to water, it is always water.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am drooling over that artwork, Eske does a good job of making pretty EX pokemon.

In terms of playability, its a meh on a scale of bad to good, but it isn't bad as a pre-mega card, that is so long as the mega is good. the two attack cost hints at the what we should be seeing from the mega, specifically a two energy attack with some decent gimmick.

In regards to two energy megas we currently have:

Manectric
Sceptile
Absol
Houndoom
Mewtwo (Y)

If you disregard Mewtwo and compare the others, they either double their damage through some fashion or they take energy and apply it to your pokemon as part of the attack. If M-Scizor follows up in one of these methods he could possibly either do something were he uses attached energy to create a damage buffer like "you may attach two energy from ____ to one of your benched pokemon. If you do so, during your next turn any of you pokemon EX receive 50 less damage from opposing non-EX pokemon". If scizor goes down the damage increase route then perhaps he will utilize some sort of energy attachment or other entirely random effect like playing a stadium to increase damage. That would be boring and not very useful in terms of competitiveness but these discrepancies didn't stop them from doing it to Houdoom EX.

I just really hope something cool happens with Scizor. He's one of those pokemon that if he got popular I don't think anyone would be mad that he was the one that got have a time in the spotlight.

This EX was done very well. Great, dramatic pose! I'm happy to see a quick-speed metal mega, versus Aggron and Metagross' 4-cost megas. I'm almost sure it's mega is going to have a 2 cost attack, but if it's 3, it's still an improvement.

The attacks here are quite underwhelming, but it's got some good early game attacks while you try to get his mega in play. While you're setting up Bronzor/Bronzong you boost his second move, no harm in 110 for 2. Anyone know if it counts when you evolve a pokemon? It's technically placing a pokemon to the bench, just on top of something on the bench already. Move two is trying to midigate the turn-two low damage moves with steel wing. You can get up to 50 damage reduced on your first turn (if you go second) by using steel wing + shield + reverse valley, which could save you loosing critical HP that keeps him in another turn. two cost retreat may work well when you have max potions and Bronzong to help. (I also assume that it's mega will retain the retreat cost)

I guess we'll see soon what his Mega has to bring to the metagame!

I'm noticing a trend of "if you did x this turn, add y more damage". I'm not complaining as it allows for some unique strategies.

I don't know about anyone else... But I like this card's moves:

-The first move might not look like much, but it is stackable with a single Shield Energy and the new Reverse Valley Stadium - so you can wall off many strategies while it waits for mega evolution.

-The second move is situational, but the attack cost is still quite low... With a Bronzong benched and an energy at hand, place Scizor down, and it can do 110 damage.

That's not all: This is one of the few Steel Types I've seen that has a low energy cost, without requiring DCE. In other words, it's more possible to use this independently from bronzong, and can allow for more interesting strategies. I'm wondering how it could work with bats.

Edit: After looking at the corrected translation. Well, that makes for a change in analysis... Maybe Dodrio has some synergy with it!

Last edited:
reminds me a bit of manectric

also time to spam unknown and mineshao
Unown's ability doesn't work when Unown it's in the Active spot.

The artwork is crazy! And the card is very fast and pretty good! I feel like the mega will be fast as well, and I hope it will be strong!

i see synergy with zoroark and the allmighty floatstone!
(Or keldeo if you're pleased)

This looks really good. I'm just wondering, if they ever made a Scyther EX which ofcourse is highly unlikely, would it look as cool as this Scizor EX?

If the retreat was 1 colourless, this would have been very good.
They are separate, TCG is mostly inspired by the videogame, but not by the anime... "Pokémon Center Lady" (not "Nurse Joy") is looking at us. ;)

That would explain it, I haven't played many of the newer games either. Some characters do appear in anime and TCG that is what I went by without taking the games into consideration. I'm still hopeful we get some first gen gym leader supporter cards like Giovanni from the latest set. Misty is also available in a ready made deck I think.

Nice little placeholder for the Mega, and for only two energy as well. Looking forward to his chainsawy evolution...

Don't forget about Unown.
Unown only works on the bench. But this card look amazing. I'm also glad it is a metal type. But *cough*cough* the artwork *cough*cough*IS AWESOME(had to say it twice for this awesomeness. Hopefully the megas artwork is even better than this. Also more playable.). A;so hyped for mega which should not be a high attack cost. Most non-mega pokemon have the same energy cost as the mega so mega scizor (if pattern continues) should have 2 energies, but it could be like mega latios needing 3 energies while the non ex needs 1 and 4.

Last edited:
Scizor is my man. Im not displeased by this card, artwork is good, attacks are decent. 2 retreat is a bummer but its all about the mega. Please be a playable one.

Back