Japan's XY9 Set: 'Rage of the Broken Sky,' New 'Battle Strengthening Sets'

Don't get me wrong while these new stadium cards bring something new, in the end it is a stadium card right, the effects should be the same, your in the same place. I haven't seen the newer anime episodes for some time but is there a gym leaders stadium that has one end with a completely different half than the other?
Anime and TCG are well separated... and, as you can see from the artwork, it's like they are 2 parallel dimensions.

Wait, have we gotten to talk about the Suicune in that commercial?

SuicuneRageBrokenHeavens20.jpg

Its ability says "as long as this is your active Pokemon, prevent all effects of attacks, except for damage, done to your Pokemon" The ability doesn't remove existing effects.

You know, I almost jumped back into the mini-debate going on about M Aggron-EX but then I realized it is mostly about differences in definition and card analysis and I'd just be repeating myself. None of us wants me to repeat myself. XD

Anime and TCG are well separated... and, as you can see from the artwork, it's like they are 2 parallel dimensions.

"Flavor" issues are a concern; after all the main reason this is the Pokémon TCG is because people are here for the Pokémon first and foremost; plenty of other popular and well-supported TCGs out there otherwise. ;)

As Stadium cards do not have to be literal Stadiums but are merely locations where battles are taking place then yes it is quite possible for a field to offer different bonuses to the different sides of a conflict. The problem is that the TCG isn't really geared for that level of detail; the idea that Stadiums apply the same blanket effect to both players where the only differences are those specific to who played the card is well entrenched. If you are someone critical over the current state/direction of the game, trying a new mechanic that specifically upsets some of the existing balance is unwelcome at least at this time.

Now with all that being said, I don't know if I am particularly worried about this card and if I am, it will purely be because it provides a damage boost where I don't think one is needed. Now it might not be needed because like the damage being soaked it might not make any difference* or because it unfortunately it might actually make a real difference if there are enough borderline cases.

*Damage is funny that way; for most cards it only matters at the point something goes from "Not KOed" to "KOed".

I think this means scizor will be grass. M Gyarados's second typing is Dark, and is water, so going by logical pattern, Scizor's second type is metal, so it will be grass

Also its a very johto themed set i guess

If the text is like that, damage to the bench is raised as well, which could be really interesting if we have a decent [D] spread attacker.

I wouldn't say they are well seperated, they are in some aspect but not well separated. If you are going to go by artwork, then the other side or opponent side will be doing battle upside down.

I wouldn't say they are well seperated, they are in some aspect but not well separated. If you are going to go by artwork, then the other side or opponent side will be doing battle upside down.
They are separate, TCG is mostly inspired by the videogame, but not by the anime... "Pokémon Center Lady" (not "Nurse Joy") is looking at us. ;)

Last edited:
If the text is like that, damage to the bench is raised as well, which could be really interesting if we have a decent [D] spread attacker.
what? The card says that Dark Pokemon's attacks specifically do 10 more damage to the opponent's active.

Anyone know the translated name [しっぷうづき] of Scizor EX's second attack (not listed as of this post)?

Last edited:
Wow! I'm usually not big on EX art, but I really like this card! It looks very nice! The attacks are alright; not bad, but not great either. And although I don't get this feeling very often (and I feel it gets thrown around WAY too frequently in recent years), it actually makes me nostalgic for my Scizor Prime deck. =)

Looking forward to the full art and the Mega!

So it's comfirmed that it's a steel type. Well, it's second attack is interesting, but since you can only put 5-8 bench Pokemon down, it has a limit. I just hope the mega is playable.

Back