Pokemon Weird Moves Pokémon Can Learn

- Barbaracle, Chesnaught, and Pangoro can learn Dragon Claw. So... apparently barnacles, pandas, and hedgehogs are dragons...

- Carnivine and Victreebel can learn Bug Bite despite being plants.

- Pupitar and Shelgon can learn Bite despite not having mouths!

-
Snorlax can learn Seed Bomb. What seeds?

- Muk can learn Explosion. The end result must be extremely messy.

Ursaring can learn Charm. This is what it looks like when it uses it in the anime.
Ursaring_Charm.png

Last edited:
- Lucario can learn Bone Rush. What bones? In the anime, it creates the bones itself, but they're made out of aura, not bone. Just because it's shaped like a bone doesn't mean it is a bone.

- Accelgor can learn Water Shuriken. It is a kind of like a ninja, but where does it get the water?

- In Gen V, an event Sableye was given out that knew Octazooka. Since when is Sableye an octopus? Even worse, its Japanese name is "Octillery Cannon", so only Octillery should be able to learn it.

- Cosplay Pikachu can use Icicle Crash, Flying Press, and Meteor Mash. First, where do the icicles come from? Second, how does it fly? Third, how in the world does it use Meteor Mash?! Meteor Mash's move description says that the user throws a punch as hard as a comet. It's believable for Metagross, but Pikachu?!

- For the 14th movie, a Victini was distributed with Fusion Flare and Fusion Bolt. How? Why? Last time I checked, Victini isn't capable of any sort of fusion.

- Through events, Darkrai can learn Spacial Rend and Roar of Time. To the residents of Sinnoh, Dialga and Palkia are basically gods. They've existed since the beginning of the universe, and created space and time itself. So what is a lesser legendary like Darkrai doing with their god-like powers of controlling space and time?

- Arcanine, Rhyperior, Milotic, and Blastoise can learn Dragon Pulse. So... apparently wolves, rhinoes, eels, and turtles are dragons... (I'm really running that joke into the ground at this point, aren't I? Well, it's not over yet. There's still Dragon Breath, Rage, Rush, and Tail left to go.)

s6Mswhr.png

Rhydon and Rhyperior are able to learn Surf, despite the 4x Water weakness... lolwut?

Then again, so can Tyranitar, apparently.

- Crawdaunt and Whiscash can learn Dragon Dance. So... apparently crayfish and catfish are dragons...
- Barbaracle, Chesnaught, and Pangoro can learn Dragon Claw. So... apparently barnacles, pandas, and hedgehogs are dragons...
- Arcanine, Rhyperior, Milotic, and Blastoise can learn Dragon Pulse. So... apparently wolves, rhinoes, eels, and turtles are dragons... (I'm really running that joke into the ground at this point, aren't I? Well, it's not over yet. There's still Dragon Breath, Rage, Rush, and Tail left to go.)

It's time to finish what I started. I need to run this joke as far into the ground as possible!

- Magikarp (through a Gen 1 event) can learn Dragon Rage. So... apparently carp are dragons...

- Ho-oh can learn Dragon Breath. So... apparently phoenixes are dragons...

- Yveltal can learn Dragon Rush. So... apparently giant evil death-birds are dragons...

- Samurott, Lickilicky, Slowking, Nidoqueen, and Nidoking can learn Dragon Tail. So... apparently otters and... whatever kinds of animals those last four are based of off... are dragons...

Last edited:

Whilst this is possibly one of the most random moves that Beeheeyem can learn, it's rumoured that it can learn it due to it being TM51 and Beeheeyem's origin may involve Area 51.
It's also possible that they forgot to take TM51 off of it's learnset between Generations 5 and 6 (in Gen 5 the TM contained Ally Switch).

But yeah, it's a pretty odd move for an alien to learn xD

-Samurott learns Air Slash.

-Kyogre learns Calm Mind. We could have avoided this entire rampaging legendary problem in Alpha Sapphire if someone had thought to ask Tate and Liza.

-Slaking learns both Focus Blast and Focus Punch, despite being so unfocused in every battle that its attention span is literally one turn.

-Shedinja learns Giga Impact, despite it being only 2.6 lbs. It also learns Final Gambit, which will always do exactly 1 HP damage. And your Shedinja will faint.

-Umbreon learns Synchronoise, although it can only do damage with it via Miracle Eye, or if your opponent happens to have given their Dark-type a Ring Target.

-The only Flying-type moves learned by Thundurus and Landorus are Fly and Hidden Power (Flying).

-Mamoswine learns Peck.

-Porygon-Z learns moves of every type except Fighting, Rock, Ground, Dragon, and Fairy. Mew can obviously learn moves of all of these types, but that's different.

Can't believe I forgot this one- it may not be able to learn the move in that stage, but it is completely possible to get a Dusknoir with Mega Kick.

Vigoroth Learns rest. Vigoroth's ability is Vital Spirit. Can you figure out what's wrong with that?

Vital Spirit means Vigoroth can't fall asleep.

Does that mean Rest will fail, or it'll just not fall asleep?

-Vigoroth also gets Sleep Talk and Snore. Presumably for situations in which you get Gastro Acided?

-Dragalge learns Play Rough.

-Wigglytuff learns Scary Face by evolving from an event Igglybuff. This isn't so surprising, however, when you see this sprite (there's a worse one, but this is all I could find):
wigglytuff-color.png

-Heatmor learns Belch by breeding. With...what mouth?

-Vivillon learns Hold Hands by event.

-Cyndaquil, who has no visible claws, or even fingers, gets Crush Claw.

Does that mean Rest will fail, or it'll just not fall asleep?

-Vigoroth also gets Sleep Talk and Snore. Presumably for situations in which you get Gastro Acided?

-Dragalge learns Play Rough.

-Wigglytuff learns Scary Face by evolving from an event Igglybuff. This isn't so surprising, however, when you see this sprite (there's a worse one, but this is all I could find):
wigglytuff-color.png

-Heatmor learns Belch by breeding. With...what mouth?

-Vivillon learns Hold Hands by event.

-Cyndaquil, who has no visible claws, or even fingers, gets Crush Claw.
Rest Fails.

- Chandelure can learn Acid. If I ever saw a chandelier that could spit acid, I would run as far away as possible.

- Binacle and Barbaracle can learn Clamp and Razor Shell. Since when are barnacles shells?

- Staryu, Starmie, Regirock, Regice, Registeel, Regigigas, Roggenrola and Boldore can learn Snore despite not having noses, mouths, or even faces to let them snore!

Seriously, you guys take everything literally... Sure, a lot of them may seem odd, but sometimes they're either oversights (like Beheeyem) or obscure references, maybe even inside jokes.

@GarbodorLover
About the dragon thing... Dragon Dance for Whiscash and Crawdaunt I always thought of it as a reference to Chinese dragons which have whiskers, just like whiscash, and while crawdaunt doesn't have visible whiskers, lobsters have feelers that look like whiskers...

Any pokémon remotely related to dragons will get Dragon moves...
Rhyperior looks like a dinosaur, Blastoise is a reptlile, Milotic is a sea serpent (aka dragon wannabe)...
The pheonix (Ho-oh) was considered an opposite of the dragon...
Yveltal has a bit of an airbone draconic look despite being more of a bird. Also, Dragon Rush in japanese is Dragon "Dive", as in descend from the sky...
Magikarp evolves into a dragon and is based on the myth of a carp climbing a mountain and jumping off a waterfall to become a dragon, something like that...
and there are many more, I don't know the reason for all of them, but I'm sure there's some reason...

My favorite is Arcanine... A lot probably don't know but the reason why it learns so many Dragon moves is because of the Shisa legend: In the legend, some dragon was attacking a village, and when a warrior or something (I don't remember the exact details, look it up on wikipedia) went to the village, it faced the dragon with a figure of the shisa, then a roar was heard and a stone fell off the sky and smashed the the dragon's tail, trapping him and eventually killing him. So it always made sense to me for Arcanine to learn Dragon moves, so it can defeat Dragon-type Pokémon by itself...

Geez, seven and a half months since someone's posted? I created this thread, so I guess it's my job to revive it.

Mew is... quite the anomaly. Being able to learn every single TM and almost every Move Tutor leads to some weird results.

- Steel Wing. What wing?

- Attract. It's genderless! Why would it need Attract?

- Explosion. Similarly to Azelf, the result would be disgusting.

- Infestation. How does it summon a swarm of bugs?

- Gastro Acid. Ugh... a Mew barfing up its digestive juices... Why Pokémon?! Why would you put this image in my brain?!?

- Scald. How does Mew shoot a jet of boiling water out its mouth without utterly obliterating its insides with 3rd-degree burns?

- Dragon Breath, Dragon Claw, Dragon Pulse, Dragon Rage, and Dragon Breath. So... apparently kittens are dragons... (Yep, I'm bringing the joke back.)

- In Gen 1, it could learn Egg Bomb. It's genderless, where does it get the egg?

On a similar note to Egg Bomb, Softboiled makes no logical sense. Several Pokémon can or were able to learn this move even if they are male/genderless, therefore unable to produce eggs. Considering that genders have existed since Gen 2, it would've been pretty easy to program these as gender-exclusive moves, but nope.

- Softboiled was a Move Tutor in Gen 3, and the Pokémon that could learn it (aside from the Chansey line) include Cleffa, Clefairy, Clefable, Togepi, Togetic, Togekiss (through Pal Park), and of course Mew. All of the Pokémon aside from Mew have the possibility of being male, and it's really weird that there are three baby Pokémon (including Happiny) that can learn it. How does a baby lay an egg?

- Tauros can learn Surf. How do you do that in deep water?

- Pupitar can learn Bite... Ehhhhhhh?

- Shelgon can learn Bite.... EHHHHHHHH????

- Shroomish can use Wake-Up slap! Look ma, no hands!

Back