XY Zygarde Speculation Thread

OmegaLantern

Aspiring Trainer
OK, so here's my theory on what this new info means.

We see 5 forms of Zygarde here, but as has been said by officials, the "Cell" forms are just mindless pieces that don't do anything.

But we also get a 10%, a 50% and a 100% form, in addition to the core.

The "Core" for all intended purposes is the brain and soul of Zygarde. So what that could mean is that the other forms are shells. So feasibly, you could come across the "shells" at different parts of the game, and put the Core into them, similar to how Rotom enters appliances in order to change form.

BUT, here's what I think will happen:

-=-

Z will be set a year or two in the future, after the Weapon has been fired. Geosenge Town will be basically a pokemon center, a gigantic hole, and probably a bunch of research tents, with scientists studying a mysterious energy, which seems to either be sucking the life from the surrounding area, or making things live much longer than expected.

The player will come across Zygarde Core early in the game, probably after the first gym. It will be pretty weak, but probably get moves such as Mud-Slap and Dragon Rage.

As you progress, you will either gather Cells, or come across the Shells. 10% will probably be before gym 4, and will get multiple "Fang" attacks, Odor Sleuth, and probably Dragon tail or Dragon Breath and probably Bulldoze. 50% will be much the same, except obtainable from about 7th gym on. It will have Coil, constrict, wrap, Dragon Tail/Pulse and Earthquake.

NOW, here's where I think everything hasn't been quite revealed. I think there may be another form they haven't shown. A 75% form. And there will be two versions of it. This is where we could have either XZ or YZ, or just Z. Depending on which version you get, 75% form will either have some blue in it, and look a bit like a deer, and will learn Thousand Arrows. The alternative to it will be have some red, and will be a bird, and will learn Thousand Waves (which the attack animation will be of it flapping its wings).

OR instead of the Cells gathering Xerneas/Yveltal energy, it may tie into ORAS, because what pokemon disrupt the environment more than Groudon or Kyogre? So instead of merging with Xerneas or Yveltal, maybe if you give it the Red/Blue Orbs, it will upgrade forms, because Precipice Blades and Thousand Arrows look similar, and Waves are associated with water (like Kyogre). We also see that on each of 100% forms wings, there is a single hexagon that is either Blue (on the right wing) or Red (on the left wing), so could potentially mean that it has absorbed both orbs.

100% form will breifly obtained right before pokemon League, but then all the Cells will return to the kalos region, and you will have to find more to upgrade 75% up to 100% again. 100% will probably have access to something like Draco Meteor and punch/claw attacks.

-=-

Of course, we still have very little info, but this is something that won't leave me alone.

Please use this thread to discuss your theories on Zygarde and his new forms.

~Bolt the Cat

Last edited by a moderator:
I think obtaining Zygarde early and find Cells as you progress through the game would be a great way to shake up the formula. I've wanted to see a mascot legendary that you obtain early in a weaker form and power up at the end of the game for a while now. I think we'll probably have 10% around the 4th gym, then we obtain 50% in Terminus Cave, then during the final battle against Team Flare it powers up to 100%.

I like the idea of the 75% form. After all, we have 2 new moves that because of them we were led to think that there will be 2 versions of Zygarde for 2 games like Kyurem. However, we got something really different that cannot be separated into 2 different games, That is unless there is indeed a 75% form that is being hidden since this form is version exclusive.
If that would be the case then Perfect Zygarde would probably be the fused form of these version exclusives, making it harder to obtain and gives another legitimacy to introduce 2 versions instead of one.

What about abilities? Do you think all of the forms will have the same ability of 50% Zygarde? If not, I can see them giving 10% Zygarde Speed Boost.

What about abilities? Do you think all of the forms will have the same ability of 50% Zygarde? If not, I can see them giving 10% Zygarde Speed Boost.

Zygarde 10% form; you mean ZyDoge? Speed Boost for ZyDog? I can see that.

Perhaps for the Zygarde Cell form's Abilities...maybe Adaptability?

Zygarde 10% form; you mean ZyDoge? Speed Boost for ZyDog? I can see that.

Perhaps for the Zygarde Cell form's Abilities...maybe Adaptability?

Yes I meant ZyDog (love the name).

Zygarde core with adaptability might be the only way for the little guy to be viable in some formats. Assuming he is going to be very weak. It kinda reminds me of Unown with its concept.

Zygarde core with adaptability might be the only way for the little guy to be viable in some formats. Assuming he is going to be very weak. It kinda reminds me of Unown with its concept.

Yeah, somewhat. Except I think there will probably be a held item for the Zygarde Cell/Core that allows it to be competitively viable in low/mid tiers.

Kind of like Pikachu and the Light Ball. It'll probably come with the same issues; meaning the held item is basically the only item to use to make them competitively viable.

I have a feeling the cores and cells won't actually be able to battle any more than a Pokemon egg can.

As for abilities, the perfect form will likely get something completely unique and new, but for the 10% forme, could be Speed boost, could be Aura Break, could be anything.

That's a good question. After a little thought, I would guess at Core having something like Forewarn, since Core is essentially supposed to monitor the environment. Zydog, may have Fur Coat, or Hustle. 50% I think will still have Aura Break. I think that if they do end up doing 75% forms, they will have abilities that will automatically power down the opposing type of legendary, like if he is 75% with Xerneas features, he will probably have something that further powers down Dark types, and vice versa. I think Perfect form will get his own ability as well, but maybe it will be similar to the Primals, but maybe it will bring in an everlasting Sandstorm and prevent Ice type moves from working.

That's a good question. After a little thought, I would guess at Core having something like Forewarn, since Core is essentially supposed to monitor the environment. Zydog, may have Fur Coat, or Hustle. 50% I think will still have Aura Break. I think that if they do end up doing 75% forms, they will have abilities that will automatically power down the opposing type of legendary, like if he is 75% with Xerneas features, he will probably have something that further powers down Dark types, and vice versa. I think Perfect form will get his own ability as well, but maybe it will be similar to the Primals, but maybe it will bring in an everlasting Sandstorm and prevent Ice type moves from working.

Yeah, since we know Zygarde-Perfect remains Dragon/Ground, an ability to overcome Ice attacks would be logical, similar to Mega Rayquaza ability.
Speaking of types, all the forms are going to be Dragon/Ground? It would be very weird considering ZyDog looks nothing like a Dragon-type, not to mention Zygarde-Core.

The 75% forms are a possible event... It would explain why they already revealed the perfect forme for Zygarde but only for the anime with no game announced yet... And since there's those 2 moves (Thousand Waves/Arrows), and considering the reasonable possibility of we getting two games, having 2 formes for the 2 moves makes sense, and the Perfect forme would be something obtainable only in the post-game. Still, the fact that the description for Perfect Zygarde on the official site states that Zygarde 50% goes straight to 100% when outmatched, kinda lowers the chance of those formes happening...

And yes, ZyDog is confirmed to be Dragon/Ground... GF's definition of Dragon is so screwed up...

Well, actually after Goomy I wouldn't be surprised if Zygarde Core is also Dragon/Ground.
Maybe it's only the moves that are going to be learnable in one of the versions by Perfect Zygarde.

And yes, ZyDog is confirmed to be Dragon/Ground... GF's definition of Dragon is so screwed up...

That's like looking at the Slowpoke line, realizing it is not a fish and not a magician and saying that GF's definition of Water and Psychic are screwed up.

There are no strict definitions of types which all pokemon of said type follow.
If you want to know what a specific type is about, you have to look broader than any single pokemon, because they all employ it to very different degrees. In some cases (like starters) the type is as obvious as day and a core part of their design with features, concept and colour. But there is just as many Pokemon where the type is not obvious at all. Just because a Pokemon doesn't hold a sign saying what type it is, doesn't mean it is undeserving of whatever type it is.

That's like looking at the Slowpoke line, realizing it is not a fish and not a magician and saying that GF's definition of Water and Psychic are screwed up.

No. You would be right except Water and Psychic are way more diverse as types. Not all water creatures are fishes and Psychic is not restriced to magicians... Dragon is pretty clear about what the type is about. Sure, a lot of Dragon-types are only dinosaurs and/or reptilian based but they're all similar creatures. Now, a DOG being a Dragon type is too much of a stretch for you to come with that argument... It's like giving the Bug-type to a dog-like pokémon... It would totally make sense...

They do tend to stretch what qualifies as a dragon to the point where the category is near meaningless. I mean this is the same type that contains a seahorse, a sheep, a bird with cloud wings, and a giant slug. At this point it really feels like they'll just slap Dragon onto whatever they feel like for the sake of hype.

But let's not steer too far into talking about what characterizes this or that type. In Zygarde's case, I think they just did it for consistency's sake. Dragon/Ground fits 50% because it's serpentine and lives underground, so it works for that. The new forms don't really have that connection as much, but it's not terribly unfitting.

Last edited:
Well my point is that Dragon isn't that much clearer than other types as you may think.

Sometimes a Pokemon being a certain type is what makes it that type. It's a loop. There is plenty of Pokemon where you could argue that one or two types are "forced", but what it does is give them specific weaknesses or resistances that fit their design, or it gives them a reason to have certain moves in their learnset that fit its design etc.

Back