• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Zoroark GX/Darkrai EX Deck

Graven

Eminem TTGX
A wild Zoroark GX Appears!! Wow, there are quite a few new Dark-type GX cards in the upcoming expansion. I especially like Zoroark GX, so why not make a post-rotation deck about it now?

The Dark Zenkai

~ 15 Pokemon ~
  • 4 Zorua (BKT)
  • 3 Zoroark GX (SM4)
  • 2 Hoopa (SM4)
  • 2 Darkrai EX (BKT)
  • 2 Yveltal (SM4)
  • 2 Tapu Lele GX (SM2)
~ 15 Supporters ~
  • 4 Prof. Sycamore
  • 3 N
  • 3 Mallow
  • 3 Guzma
  • 1 Acerola
  • 1 Olivia
~ 17 Items ~
  • 4 Nest Ball
  • 4 Random Reciever
  • 3 Choice Band
  • 2 Fighting Fury Belt
  • 2 Field Blower
  • 1 Max Elixir
  • 1 Float Stone
~ 13 Energy ~
  • 9 Darkness Energy
  • 4 DCE
If you have seen the all too famous Zoroark/Drampa GX deck, this follows suit in a different fashion. What do you guys think? All advice is much appreciated.

Last edited:

Calcab

Aspiring Trainer
Do you plan to play this deck on expanded? Cause AFAIK Zoroark will be release for us only with SM4, this means we'll only get it after rotation, so we're probably losing VS Seeker, Sky Field, Shaymin and Trainer's Mail.

Nano_op12

Aspiring Trainer
i would recommend teching in one BTK zoroark if your playing sky field.
his ability could remove retreat as a problem and he could punish
your opponent if they take advantage of sky field and play more Pokemon on their bench.
but other then that i love this deck idea and if it was in standard for a longer time i would love it even more.
great deck dude! :):)

jessalakasam

Floette is love Floette is life
Do you plan to play this deck on expanded? Cause AFAIK Zoroark will be release for us only with SM4, this means we'll only get it after rotation, so we're probably losing VS Seeker, Sky Field, Shaymin and Trainer's Mail.
Nope it'll be in Shining Legends (releasing on 10/20) so after rotation, also Float Stone will probably also rotate (it was last in BKT)

Graven

Eminem TTGX
Nope it'll be in Shining Legends (releasing on 10/20) so after rotation, also Float Stone will probably also rotate (it was last in BKT)

Hmm...That may be a problem. I still want to keep it a Standard Deck, as TPCi seem to want it be pushed into the spotlight more than Expanded. My guess is that it will be RIP Generations and older, to which you all are on the money with what is out. This, as you all guessed, will most likely include:

~Max Elixir (BkP)
~Float Stone (BkP)
~VS Seeker (RS)
~Trainer's Mail (RS)
~Sky Field (RS)
~Fighting Fury Belt (BkP, Nuuuuuuuu!)
~Shaymin EX (RS, I will miss you the most).
-N (FC) barely escapes the clutches of the rotation, in which I hope this is the case.
-Zorua will be coming out in Shining Legends, so at least there's that.

I feel TPCi it trying to make decks not as much of a decisive match at first glance, especially with token cards being rotated out for newer, more balanced cards. I'm not complaining, but the timing for this Zoroark GX could not be any worse, tbh. I'll see what I can do, and I'll keep an update to the list when new information is out.

i would recommend teching in one BTK zoroark if your playing sky field.
his ability could remove retreat as a problem and he could punish
your opponent if they take advantage of sky field and play more Pokemon on their bench.
but other then that i love this deck idea and if it was in standard for a longer time i would love it even more.
great deck dude! :):)

Thank you! :3 This is the third deck I have created, and it's nice to get praise for something like this-even if I still need to learn a whole lot more in the upcoming months.

jessalakasam

Floette is love Floette is life
Hmm...That may be a problem. I still want to keep it a Standard Deck, as TPCi seem to want it be pushed into the spotlight more than Expanded. My guess is that it will be RIP Generations and older, to which you all are on the money with what is out. This, as you all guessed, will most likely include:

~Max Elixir (BkP)
~Float Stone (BkP)
~VS Seeker (RS)
~Trainer's Mail (RS)
~Sky Field (RS)
~Fighting Fury Belt (BkP, Nuuuuuuuu!)
~Shaymin EX (RS, I will miss you the most).
-N (FC) barely escapes the clutches of the rotation, in which I hope this is the case.
-Zorua will be coming out in Shining Legends, so at least there's that.

I feel TPCi it trying to make decks not as much of a decisive match at first glance, especially with token cards being rotated out for newer, more balanced cards. I'm not complaining, but the timing for this Zoroark GX could not be any worse, tbh. I'll see what I can do, and I'll keep an update to the list when new information is out.

Thank you! :3 This is the third deck I have created, and it's nice to get praise for something like this-even if I still need to learn a whole lot more in the upcoming months.
umm... no we think it's either BKT-on or BKP-on they wouldn't kill off BKP and GEN 1 year after release (I think BKP-on personally)

Graven

Eminem TTGX
umm... no we think it's either BKT-on or BKP-on they wouldn't kill off BKP and GEN 1 year after release (I think BKP-on personally)

.....right, that's how long it was out. Sorry, thought because of how often they're pushing out SM expansions, they would cut off some more to compensate. Welp, I dun goofed. I mean, I hope you're right, considering how much of a hassle this deck would be to fix if Generations and back were to be rotated out.

swaginator5000

Aspiring Trainer
Just a few thoughts, i really dont like absol in this deck. Your opponent will have to many outs to make its attack worthles due to guzma being played in 99% of decks as atleast a 2 of, along with plain retreating, and esacpe rope/switch.
Other than that fighting fury belt does borderline nothing when your main attacker is a stage 1. Swap it for muscle dumbbells or choice band.

Graven

Eminem TTGX
Just a few thoughts, i really dont like absol in this deck. Your opponent will have to many outs to make its attack worthles due to guzma being played in 99% of decks as atleast a 2 of, along with plain retreating, and esacpe rope/switch.
Other than that fighting fury belt does borderline nothing when your main attacker is a stage 1. Swap it for muscle dumbbells or choice band.

The overall fact that Doom News KO's the defending Pokemon at the end of the opponents turn, no matter which Pokemon it is, is worth having it in my opinion. True, trading a prize card for a prize card might not seems like much, but considering you get a garunteed prize card (or two if your opponent is unlucky enough) could grant you an automatic win if in the right situation (if you have one or more prize cards that your opponent, you hold a considerably big advantage). If I'm in a good position and my draws are doing well, I could enact Doom News on a basic Pokemon that either has an evolutionary line or has great significance within the deck, disrupting my opponent's initial strategies. *Guzma can counter this strategy, and depending on what's on the field, it could cause some grief in maybe setting up a 2-2 prize card trade. Though since it causes the opponent's Pokemon to switch out, it could cause some grief on my opponent's side as well. But it's overall effectiveness within the deck along with its subtle versatility can prove quite dangerous in a number of situations. Good point though, I didn't think about that at first.

Muscle Dumbbells for Zoroark sounds like a very good idea, as he is a Stage 1 Pokemon. Choice Band, far all intents and purposes, is set towards GX Pokemon showing up, and considering the direction TPCi is going, we will probably see more decks that rely less on GX Pokemon. True, GX Pokemon isn't going away anytime soon, but I'd rather have FFB over the Choice Band simply because it's more reliable. Good suggestion, but no dice.

*Edited: Looked over Guzma's card text. I dun goofed.

Last edited:

swaginator5000

Aspiring Trainer
The overall fact that Doom News KO's the defending Pokemon at the end of the opponents turn, no matter which Pokemon it is, is worth having it in my opinion. True, trading a prize card for a prize card might not seems like much, but considering you get a garunteed prize card (or two if your opponent is unlucky enough) could grant you an automatic win if in the right situation (if you have one or more prize cards that your opponent, you hold a considerably big advantage). If I'm in a good position and my draws are doing well, I could enact Doom News on a basic Pokemon that either has an evolutionary line or has great significance within the deck, disrupting my opponent's initial strategies. *Guzma can counter this strategy, and depending on what's on the field, it could cause some grief in maybe setting up a 2-2 prize card trade. Though since it causes the opponent's Pokemon to switch out, it could cause some grief on my opponent's side as well. But it's overall effectiveness within the deck along with its subtle versatility can prove quite dangerous in a number of situations. Good point though, I didn't think about that at first.

Muscle Dumbbells for Zoroark sounds like a very good idea, as he is a Stage 1 Pokemon. Choice Band, far all intents and purposes, is set towards GX Pokemon showing up, and considering the direction TPCi is going, we will probably see more decks that rely less on GX Pokemon. True, GX Pokemon isn't going away anytime soon, but I'd rather have FFB over the Choice Band simply because it's more reliable. Good suggestion, but no dice.

*Edited: Looked over Guzma's card text. I dun goofed.
So this is where you are wrong about doom news, it does matter which pokemon it is. If you use doom news on the current defending pokemon that pokemon is the only one effected. So if the current defending leaves the active spot on the following turn the new active will not affected by the previous doom news as switching resets it. Cards such as ranger also remove the effect. Unless the ruling has significantly changed since absol g im 99.99% certain that your opponent switching the active or removing it from the field, ie super scoop up, will reset the effect of doom news.

Graven

Eminem TTGX
So this is where you are wrong about doom news, it does matter which pokemon it is. If you use doom news on the current defending pokemon that pokemon is the only one effected. So if the current defending leaves the active spot on the following turn the new active will not affected by the previous doom news as switching resets it. Cards such as ranger also remove the effect. Unless the ruling has significantly changed since absol g im 99.99% certain that your opponent switching the active or removing it from the field, ie super scoop up, will reset the effect of doom news.

So, I looked at the card text, and it still led me to believe that Doom News would work regardless of whether the Defending Pokemon switches out. I then went onto a few threads on this forum to double check, and sure enough, you are right. I honestly believed it was that good, and am kinda bummed out that it isn't considering that it would make Absol not only a better Tech, but would also fit into that Pokemon's archetype better. Welp, guess that's coming out.

Addendum: Absol is also one of my favourite Pokemon, so that just makes this even more disappointing. ;_;

Graven

Eminem TTGX
Attention all thread watchers!!

This deck has been fully updated with the info regarding the Shining Legends expansion! Thank you all for waiting patiently for this to be finished, and also for all of the feedback to improve this deck to where it is now. This deck however will still be updated in the coming months for all subsequent expansions in case of returning staples such as VS Seeker or Trainer's Mail, and possibly new cards that may bring even more life into this deck. Upon the release of the Shining Lenends expansion, I will no longer update this deck and will move on to other decks that have the potential to spruce up the metagame. Again, thank you all for participating in helping this deck become what it is now. :)

Alex Sableye

Official Pokemon Connoisseur of the Unova Region
Do you plan to play this deck in expanded? Cause AFAIK Zoroark will be released for us only with SM4, this means we'll only get it after rotation, so we're probably losing VS Seeker, Sky Field, Shaymin and Trainer's Mail.
Did you even read his deck list?

Alex Sableye

Official Pokemon Connoisseur of the Unova Region
A wild Zoroark GX Appears!! Wow, there are quite a few new Dark-type GX cards in the upcoming expansion. I especially like Zoroark GX, so why not make a post-rotation deck about it now?

The Dark Zenkai

~ 15 Pokemon ~
  • 4 Zorua (BKT)
  • 3 Zoroark GX (SM4)
  • 2 Hoopa (SM4)
  • 2 Darkrai EX (BKT)
  • 2 Yveltal (SM4)
  • 2 Tapu Lele GX (SM2)
~ 15 Supporters ~
  • 4 Prof. Sycamore
  • 3 N
  • 3 Mallow
  • 3 Guzma
  • 1 Acerola
  • 1 Olivia
~ 17 Items ~
  • 4 Nest Ball
  • 4 Random Reciever
  • 3 Choice Band
  • 2 Fighting Fury Belt
  • 2 Field Blower
  • 1 Max Elixir
  • 1 Float Stone
~ 13 Energy ~
  • 9 Darkness Energy
  • 4 DCE
If you have seen the all too famous Zoroark/Drampa GX deck, this follows suit in a different fashion. What do you guys think? All advice is much appreciated.
I would swap the FFBs for Muscle Bands.