Zeraora-GX from SM7a Revealed!

pokeraider123456

Aspiring Trainer
Well, that escalated quickly. People seem to forget that as soon as you're in the lead (or even when the number of prizes on both sides are equal) Counter Gain stops working, so it's not like "imma just attach this to duskman and ohko everything for days lol"

I mean, it is a good item, but the overhype is real.
definitely over hyped, it has as much use as counter energy, and you probably wont want to use instead of a choice band, same use as counter catcher. only good ways to use this is electrode from evolutions, and electrode gx, in that case you dont even need the counter gain anyways. I can see this being used in stall decks, where you arnt plan on attacking anyone, maybe.

John InCENAroar

Praising the Vish, Praying for Sableye V
definitely over hyped, it has as much use as counter energy, and you probably wont want to use instead of a choice band, same use as counter catcher. only good ways to use this is electrode from evolutions, and electrode gx, in that case you dont even need the counter gain anyways. I can see this being used in stall decks, where you arnt plan on attacking anyone, maybe.
Well, that escalated quickly. People seem to forget that as soon as you're in the lead (or even when the number of prizes on both sides are equal) Counter Gain stops working, so it's not like "imma just attach this to duskman and ohko everything for days lol"

I mean, it is a good item, but the overhype is real.
The translation we have been provided says that "As long as *you* have more Prize cards remaining than your opponent," which means that the player of this card is the one that is ahead, which makes it considerably better, and does actually lend itself to the dusk mane example, because after the first knockout, the main attack gains the same cost as the GX, and makes the first attack for a DCE.

AuraJackle

Aspiring Trainer
The translation we have been provided says that "As long as *you* have more Prize cards remaining than your opponent," which means that the player of this card is the one that is ahead, which makes it considerably better, and does actually lend itself to the dusk mane example, because after the first knockout, the main attack gains the same cost as the GX, and makes the first attack for a DCE.
Dude if you have more prize cards remaining you are losing

Lanstar

The Cutest of Ladies
Looking at counter gain, I think this has tons of possibilities, and time will tell when a good player can utilize it effectively post rotation. Here are some ideas:

-Sylveon decks could use it, as it reduces the dependency on DCE to attack, and they play plenty of fairy energy anyways.

-Empoleon is another user, as it cuts its reliance on Counter Energy, which is prone to getting hammered off.

-I could see Gyarados-GX use it to tamper down is heavy attack costs. Considering how frail Magikarp is, it wouldn't be too uncommon to start behind prizes to use it.

-Tech DCE users like Tauros-GX will like this card a lot, as you get to dodge using special energy in decks.

These are just a few ideas on top of my head. But I believe the usablity in this card will give it some play sometime.

JHRZy

Pokedex completionist
And with shuckle in SM7a along with zeraora its went from "OP" to "Buzzwole" to "Everyone is going to play this deck"

Shuckle – Grass – HP60
Basic Pokemon

Ability: Juice Extractor
Once during your turn (before your attack), when you play this card from your hand onto your Bench, you may search your deck for up to 3 basic Energy cards and discard them. Then, shuffle your deck.

[G] Energy Drink: Attach 2 basic Energy cards from your discard pile to your Pokemon in any way you like.

Weakness: Fire (x2)
Resistance: none
Retreat: 1

Wechselbalg

brb
Dude if you have more prize cards remaining you are losing

What they said.

Counter Gain is actually more or less useless with Dusk Mane the more one thinks about it. The first time you're behind on prizes, you just use the GX attack which costs MMM anyway, so CG doesn't help with that. The second time you're behind on prizes playing a Dusk Mane deck you more or less already lost the game, and that -1 C cost for Meteor Tempest will probably not make much of a difference at that point.

BrandonHappened

Ghosts and Fairies are kinda my jam
metagross' attack is [M], so counter gain would do nothing at all
Ahh I get it now, I wasn't sure if it specified colourless or if it meant one less energy in the attack cost but I realised it would've been made clearer if that were the case

Alex Sableye

Official Pokemon Connoisseur of the Unova Region
What is wrong with this world where you are battling with a Pokemon hotter than the sun AND IT ONLY DOES 50 FREAKING DAMAGE?

SquirtleRules

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
Counter gain is interesting. In a prize card race, energy acceleration can make the difference in a game. This is not as good as beast ring in beast decks, but it’s also not limited to ultra beasts. It certainly helps slower decks.

JadeGemTM

In terms of water, we have water
Forum Mod
  • Love Genesect as a card, though the art is weird.
  • Lugia looks amazing
  • The story from that Pikachu art is pretty fun to think about.

JadeGemTM

In terms of water, we have water
Forum Mod
Cobalion is meh. Not great, not terrible. Just meh.

Counter Gain on the other hand is very interesting. Excited to see that card in the meta.

pokeraider123456

Aspiring Trainer
What they said.

Counter Gain is actually more or less useless with Dusk Mane the more one thinks about it. The first time you're behind on prizes, you just use the GX attack which costs MMM anyway, so CG doesn't help with that. The second time you're behind on prizes playing a Dusk Mane deck you more or less already lost the game, and that -1 C cost for Meteor Tempest will probably not make much of a difference at that point.
Like i said before its has as much usefulness as counter energy, counter catcher, you probably would want to use counter energy over the tool anyways. Only useful in niche decks.