Ruling Zangoose PT Question

Zyflair

Yes, sir. Of course, sir.
Advanced Member
PT Zangoose's Invite and Strike tells you to switch your opponent's Pokemon. If your opponent does not have a bench, is it still possible to use this move and deal damage to the Defending Pokemon?

Agreeing with Charging Chimchar.

The text must say something like this: "You may switch the Defending Pokemon with one of your opponent's benched Pokemon. If you do, this attack does 20 damage to the new Pokemon."

It has to say something like that, but it doesn't.

Another Zangoose Question

A question with this card came up at a prerelease, the judge said that the person who attacked using invite and strike chooses which benched pokemon to replace the active one. Is this correct? If so where can I find it in the rules? I thought the defending person chose who replaces the active pokemon, unless it specifies on the card that the attacking person chooses? Thanks

RE: Another Zangoose Question

Old Lady Foo Foo said:
A question with this card came up at a prerelease, the judge said that the person who attacked using invite and strike chooses which benched pokemon to replace the active one. Is this correct? If so where can I find it in the rules? I thought the defending person chose who replaces the active pokemon, unless it specifies on the card that the attacking person chooses? Thanks

The attacker gets to choose which Pokemon to send out. Zangoose's attack states to switch the defending Pokemon with one of your Opponent's Bench. It doesn't say "Your Opponent chooses which Pokemon to send out" so the attacker gets to choose.

It's not really a ruling, it's more of a wording. If you look at Warp Point, it clearly states that your opponent switches a Pokemon to become the new active. On Zangoose, it just says "Switch the Defending Pokemon with one of your Opponent's Bench" meaning YOU (the attacker) switches the Defending Pokemon with one of your Opponent's bench, not your Opponent switches.

You complete as much of the attack as you can. You still do 20 damage, which is enough to give attacking a purpose. The other cards say "may" because it's optional-This cards sort of saying, "if you can, you don't have a choice".

But that's just my opinion.

I'm pretty sure he must have a Benched Poke to switch into, since the wording is clearly different than Cradily LA, which says "You may" but otherwise has pretty much the same attack. So if that's not the difference between them, I'm pretty sure they would have translated them in the same way. Yet they didn't. So you can't. I think.

This is a controversial call that should be assest by PUSA. Do you do damage, or affects first, Logically It would do damage first, But the TCG rules aren't logical. In my PT pre, I was against ludicolo. It used "best dance" which does 60 and recovers the amount of damage delt. My combee already had 30 on him, leaving him with 30. When ludicolo attacked, he knocked me out, but recovered 60. He only "used" 30. The judges said it was correct because that was the total damage ommited, but If you were killing some one, and you had 6 bullets, you would stop at three bullets if that was enough to kill. If it does damage first, you are right, if it does effects first, you are wrong.

72-slugma.jpg

== LURING FLAME (Slugma - EX:Dragon)

Q. Can you use Slugma's "Luring Flame" attack if your opponent has no Pokémon on their bench to switch with?
A. No, if the opponent has no benched Pokémon you cannot use Luring Flame. You can't do the first thing, so you don't do the second thing. (Dec 4, 2003 PUI Rules Team)

Zangoose is the same way.

Back