Yveltal EX / Garbodor

Camoclone

TCG Articles Head
RE: Darkrai EX / Sableye / Garbodor

The best of 3 problem also makes me sold on the offensive approach to this deck,

Aggressiv

Aspiring Trainer

Blah said:
I'm not sure that works as well now; it was sold reasoning for worlds, but now that this deck is veering towards a more offensive version due to the loss of Crushing Hammer, I think more "offensive" supporters are better. My problem with Ghetsis has always been that even when you do manage to get some disruption off, it tends to not only be rather minimal, but there are even times when it helps your opponent because they were going to be forced to discard resources with something like a Juniper. Granted, that doesn't happen very often, and there always those moments when it totally screws your opponent's strategy and really does help, but unless you have extra room (which tbh you should not have in this deck unless you're missing something else), I simply don't think it's worth the space.

For larger tournaments I'de agree that aggro darkrai is the route to take. However I'm going have to disagree that everytime it's the way to go. For the smaller tournaments like "BR's" and cities Hovertoxin can do just as well or better than Darkrai garbodor. Hovertoxin being the more sabelye based darkrai garbodor.

wrags23

Aspiring Trainer

My list is a little different, but I use Exp. Share, Energy Search, and Max Potion as one-ofs in the deck. I would really like to make room for 2 Exp. Share because it really helps in recovering from KO's.

L

LiveMax23

My supporter line is 4 juniper 4 n 1 colress 1 skyla 2 random receiver

evascythe

Aspiring Trainer

I switched my supporter line to 4x N, 4x Skyla, 3x Juniper and 1x Ghetsis. I went 4-1 in a 43-person tournament this afternoon with my only loss coming to an Empoleon/Landorus deck that also went 4-1. It was good enough for a 5th place finish after resistance. The reason why I switched to 4x Skyla from 3 was because of a game I played yesterday in which I had Darkrai w/ energy and a benched Victini out versus a single Genesect. I didn't top deck the VP and hoped for it off the N (no Skyla in hand until the following turn) but to no avail. The 4th Skyla helped out greatly today. The single Ghetsis led me to a game winning Dark Claw as well after I used it on his hand of one which I knew contained an unusable item. I love the number of turn two Night Spears that happen thanks to Victini. Now if only I could justify adding a second one...

Serperior

~
Advanced Member

I like the four Skyla in this deck. You can search out the Computer Search once you get the Sableye out T1, or any staple Trainer like Laser so you can start abusing it early on in the game.

I've never been a fan of Ghetsis and I don't think I ever will. Having to rely on your opponent for whatever he/she may have is never a good thing when you want to decrease the already-existent luck factor in Pokémon. I'd go with a fourth Juniper. You get the Energy in the Discard Pile for Dark Patch abuse or some Trainers that you can Junk Hunt for later.

evascythe

Aspiring Trainer

I found myself wishing I had played a fourth Juniper in a couple of matches. Ghetsis is really hit or miss. Usually miss.

Cortel II

I am the Doom master

I like 4 juniper 4N 4 skyla for a supporter line up I think it would give you the most consistency.

Dork Void

#OCCUPYALLTHINGS

4 Juniper and 4 N are an absolute must in every deck in the format, no questions asked. However, just a playset of the two of them (Skyla only barely counts as a consistency booster) is definitely not enough.

Mewtwocrazyforme

Aspiring Trainer

Can someone post the main staple cards for this deck the offensive way as I'm new to the tcg and looking to play this deck in my first tourney in the Pokemon league in my area. Thanks!

Blah

DBT

I apologize, but if you need something like that, you would have to ask in New Player Help. This forum is meant solely for the competitive discussion of this deck's strategies.

Mewtwocrazyforme

Aspiring Trainer

Ok I'm sorry about that. Can someone just message it to me cuz I don't really know where to post it there.

Feel free to make a new thread there; it's alright even though it's a simple question - Blah

Edit: Looks like you figured it out.

TuxedoBlack

Old School Player

Blah said:
The KO was about the size of a regionals.
Not even close to the size of a Regionals; there were only about 128 total Master (vs. 372 at the last Regional tournament I attended) players at the Klaczynski Open. Also, the 75 minute matches helped this deck's success too, IMHO. Not sure how well it will do in a 50 minute match. Time will tell... lol (pun intended).

scizorlicious

Now with one fewer 's'

Darkrai/Garbodor doesn't have as many problems with time as other decks. Though it's not as aggressive as Plasma, I doubt the 50 minute limit will hurt it all that much come Regionals.

Camoclone

TCG Articles Head

scizorlicious said:
Darkrai/Garbodor doesn't have as many problems with time as other decks. Though it's not as aggressive as Plasma, I doubt the 50 minute limit will hurt it all that much come Regionals.
The Sableye/stall oriented version has trouble with time... The aggressive version will be the only one played.

Blah

DBT

Even the agressive version has trouble with time though.

Heck, every deck has trouble with time with the current system. You just can't play 3 full games in 50 minutes. Therefore, if time gets called or you go into sudden death, you want to be the faster deck. Darkrai/Garbodor is by no means fast, even if you run the agressive version. The slow set up and nature of the deck also means time is going to be getting called a lot more often during your matches.

chariquazard

Aspiring Trainer

Blah said:
Even the agressive version has trouble with time though.

Heck, every deck has trouble with time with the current system. You just can't play 3 full games in 50 minutes. Therefore, if time gets called or you go into sudden death, you want to be the faster deck. Darkrai/Garbodor is by no means fast, even if you run the agressive version. The slow set up and nature of the deck also means time is going to be getting called a lot more often during your matches.

So do you mean by that that this deck is no longer good?
Or a way to adapt the deck?

SynxS1N

Follow your heart...

I dislike the 50 min time limit on rounds and there's no doubt that this deck is a bit slower than the others but I think the deck speed comes down to the player. I just went to a locals with this deck using the new rules (50 mins +3 turns) and i finished my 3rd games in 3 of my 4 rounds before time was called. If you're going to play this deck in a tournament you go in knowing you have to play at a faster pace to make up for the time. I understand that sometimes playing faster might not be enough or could cause you to misplay but that's the risk you take when you decide to run this deck.

Aggressiv

Aspiring Trainer

SynxS1N said:
I dislike the 50 min time limit on rounds and there's no doubt that this deck is a bit slower than the others but I think the deck speed comes down to the player. I just went to a locals with this deck using the new rules (50 mins +3 turns) and i finished my 3rd games in 3 of my 4 rounds before time was called. If you're going to play this deck in a tournament you go in knowing you have to play at a faster pace to make up for the time. I understand that sometimes playing faster might not be enough or could cause you to misplay but that's the risk you take when you decide to run this deck.

Valid point, but only the aggro darkrai variant can really keep up like that. There's no way sabelye focused decks can withstand the 50 minute time limit. And though it's not reccomended by any means, intentional slow play exists and this deck could struggle with that, even with aggro darkrai.

SynxS1N

Follow your heart...

Aggressiv said:
SynxS1N said:

Valid point, but only the aggro darkrai variant can really keep up like that. There's no way sabelye focused decks can withstand the 50 minute time limit. And though it's not reccomended by any means, intentional slow play exists and this deck could struggle with that, even with aggro darkrai.

Very true. I do believe there isn't any sense in playing a Sableye focused variant. I love this deck a lot and I hope the time constraint doesn't sweep it under the rug for everyone.