Pokemon Your Tips for "GO-ing" on an Adventure!

Shining Raikou

Your friendly neighborhood Raikou fan!
Elite Member
Advanced Member
Hey all, I thought it would be a good idea to have a thread for your best tips that you have so far when going out into the wild and discovering Pokemon/battling gyms. Feel free to post yours here!

Here are a few tips I know of:

Catching Pokemon
  • Water Pokemon can show up more near bodies of water or when its raining (things that have to do with water).
  • Fire types can show up at gas stations or on sunny days (things that have to do with heat).
  • Electric types can be found near transforming stations or during thunderstorms (things that have to do with electricity).
  • Ghost types are more common at night (Spooky!).
  • Grass/Bug/Normal Pokemon like grassy areas and parks.
General Tips
  • Bring your phone charger and a fully charged phone for trips of more than 2 hours. Pokemon GO eats the battery quite a bit. You may consider purchasing a power bank/charge bank or something else to supplement your charge on the go.
  • If you're planning on being out all day, make a plan for stopping somewhere a while and charging your phone/sapping up some Wi-Fi. Starbucks is the best "Pokemon Center". ;)
  • If you live in a city/large town, gathering spots will be common where there are a lot of Pokestops nearby and places to sit, scope them out. The more Pokemon trainers and lure modules attached to stops, the more it turns into a catching spree. A park near me has about 40 people every night so far! The best thing is, people usually shout and let you know if a cool Pokemon appears! :)
  • Bring snacks and water if you're walking a lot. Remember not to neglect your body! Dehydration will take a toll on you, especially in the summer months.
  • If the app is quitting constantly, take a break/change location. It may just be temporary or where you're at. I find rush hour times in my area to be noon and 5PM. When people are at lunch or getting off work.
Share your observations, catch a bunch of Pokemon, and most importantly have fun! :)

I recommend having Wifi off when going on an adventure because when you are farther from it your game may hang and not try and use your data. I had that happen on my first real adventure. This also helps conserve battery since it isn't actively searching for Wifi.

Make sure you are monitoring your data usage if you don't have unlimited data, particularly if you play frequently for an hour or more. Your parents probably won't appreciate you going over the allowed data limit.

I suggest attempting to play while you are passenger in the car or on a bus. (But don't miss your stop if taking the bus!) I caught lots of Pokemon while in the passenger seat for a 20 minute drive. :)

To save battery, actually use the "Battery Saver" mode! If you know where you're going (a PokéStop, Gym, etc.), use this setting and put your phone in your pocket upside down to save battery. Make sure you have "Vibrate" on so you don't need to be constantly looking down at your phone to see if anything's popped up.

Once you get to level 9, you will get the Lucky egg. This item doubles every XP gain for 30 minutes. The best way to utilize it is by evolving your Pokemon, which grants you 1000 XP instead of 500. As such, you really want to wait with evolving your Pokemon. In particular, those who are common, and that have low Candy requirement for evolving, such as Pidgey, Caterpie and Weedle (each of them requires only 12 Candies to evolve). Once you gather tons of these Pokemon and tons of their candies, activate the Lucky Egg, and start evolving them all to get 1000 XP for each evolution.

Back