Strategy Your Preferred Pokemon for a Team Role

Equinox

Stallwart Player
What's your favorite Pokemon to use as a wallbreaker? A wall? Why is it your favorite, and what's the set? I'll post mine as well!

Volcanion @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
- Steam Eruption
- Fire Blast
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power Ice

Volcanion is a powerful Pokemon, having access to Hydro Pump that can burn, and coming off a base 130 Sp. Atk is no joke. Thanks to this general moveset, Volcanion can hit a variety of things like Scizor, Weavile, Breloom, Azumarill, Skarmory, and Rotom-W to name a few Pokemon. It takes a bit of prediction to deal with Volcanion, which is why he's my favorite tank. Not just that, but being Fire/Water makes him automatically 2/3 of a FWG core!

Metagross @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rock Polish
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Ice Punch

Pairs really well with Baton Pass, being able to achieve a speed boost and also have a possibility of gaining an attack boost makes Mega Metagross a threatening sweeper. Not only that, but having the coverage to deal with a wide variety of the metagame doesn't hurt.

Quagsire (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Recover
- Stockpile

A threatening sweeper in its' own right, this Quagsire knows how to pressure the opponent, on both the physical and special side thanks to Stockpile. Scald's burn chance allows you to inflict wear and tear on your opponent and should you get Stockpile up Quagsire's defensive pressure alone could possibly win you the match. For clarity this Quagsire set is also meant to be a wall, not a sweeper :p

Depends on the team of course, but here are some standards that I typically fall back on. In no particular order:

Bulky pivot: Landorus-T, Rotom-W, SpDef M-Scizor
Speed control / revenge killer: CS Excadrill, Talonflame
Electric check: Yache Landorus-T, CS Kyurem-B
Bird check: CS Excadrill, Static Zapdos, Rotom-W
Keldeo / Volcanion check: Latias, Starmie, Colbur Jellicent

Oh my, thank you for the Quagsire set! I added stockpile to my Quagsire and it improves him significantly :D

As for my favorite Pokemon for specific roles:

Physical Wall: Quagsire :)
Special attacker : NP Thundurus
Pursuit Trapper : Weavile
Volcanion check- Rotom-W (I don't know if it's good enough, but for now it works for me)
Physical attacker- Mega Lopunny
Lead- Klefki

It keeps changing and right now I am trying different sets to adapt to the current meta, as I haven't played in a long time.

Back