Pokemon Your Favourite Villainous Team

Leaf_Ranger said:
TEAM ROCKET! :D

Ever since watching James, Jessie and Meowth debut in the anime that I was attracted to the organization. The anime's plot wasn't what made me keep liking them (until the first half of Unova's season which was very good regarding TR and also those Chronicles episodes with Hun and Attila and the Prof.) but rather the games plot, namely in LG and HG. I like their black suits, their constant research and testing and they also have on their side the nostalgia factor.

I don't exactly see Aqua and Magma as evil (going just by R/S/E, not ASOR), just blindfolded and misguided, because even the grunts are aware and want more landmass or sea for Pokémon.

Team Galactic...ridiculous outfits and an organization that exists solely for the leader's mad & unkown goals. Sure, they are accomplished, they managed to illude the public with their research for new types of (clean?) energy and their Platinum HQ was awesome but in the end, Charon was just like Colress (the other way around since Cheren came first) in that the team wasn't the most important, just his research, and the others were all blinded or in love with Cyrus. The best thing they did was to capture the annoying emotion trio. :p

I also don't consider Team Plasma evil because despite being all Ghetsis' puppets, I agree almost completely with their original goals and they managed to exist even after what happened in BW.

As for the "Neo" Team Plasma, they're indeed evil and despite liking their outfits, their ship doesn't seem to have a link to the team and Ghetsis' cane resembling a ships' wheel also doesn't fit. More importantly, they're are just Team Rocket with a legendary Pokémon in their hands, which I recognize is a step further from TR, but in the end, Ghetsis ended up insane or something and the Team was left with almost no future, and that's why their are my second favorite team, because unlike N.T.Plasma, TR is never truly done and finished.

Oh yeah, I was forgeting those ridiculous guys from Flare. Well, ridiculous is ridiculous and I cannot even describe them further because they are the lowest of the lowest when it comes to evil teams. They also don't gain nothing from debuting in a game considered easy and with such few Pokémon. Also, of course I wouldn't like a Team associated with Fire.

I absolutely 100% agree with this. The minute Jesse, James, and Meowth walked on screen in the anime, I was hooked. I have to admit that my favorite Pokémon games (HG/SS) also have team Rocket as the "bad guys" and they're just fun to battle.

Team Rocket will always be the more nostalgic and likeble team. I think it is not "fair" to compare other teams to them unless you take away the nostalgia and the anime team. I actually think that most of us like Jessie and James and it would not really matter if they were in another team. Try to think of what would happan if in the anime Jessie and James were switching their team to the "right" team of the current generation so every evil team would be the same in that all of them have Jessie and James.

Then all evil teams would suck.

Team Rocket isn't necessarily the team everyone likes, and definitely not because of some characters who have a tendency to fly in the horizon every episode. Each region has its own evil team, and the only reason Jessie, James and Meowth stuck around was comic relief; they would have to make a new team of three for every region otherwise, and they would need to have Jessie, James and Meowth's style, which just isn't possible with some teams (imagine a Team Galactic group that acts like this... nope, not a chance). Besides, up until now we've seen quite a variety of choices in this thread.

Chaos Jackal said:
Then all evil teams would suck.

Team Rocket isn't necessarily the team everyone likes, and definitely not because of some characters who have a tendency to fly in the horizon every episode. Each region has its own evil team, and the only reason Jessie, James and Meowth stuck around was comic relief; they would have to make a new team of three for every region otherwise, and they would need to have Jessie, James and Meowth's style, which just isn't possible with some teams (imagine a Team Galactic group that acts like this... nope, not a chance). Besides, up until now we've seen quite a variety of choices in this thread.

I was mainly refering to those who like Team Rocket because of nostalgia and Jessie and James team
I agree that they don't make team rocket the best team but they stand alone as a team IMO

Sorry, I took it as a generalizing statement. While it is true that Jessie, James and Meowth as well as nostalgia are often the main reasons for someone to say they like Team Rocket, fortunately the team does have some other virtues lying around.

I'd have to say both Team Magma and Aqua. They seem to be very unique as they are rival teams fighting for opposing goals, and I especially like in Emerald how you thwart both their plans.

Team Galactic.
The inclusion of so many legendary pokemon and the involvement of Hunter J was pretty good. Plus they were after Dialga and Palkia and were the villainous team in my favorite game.

Team Rocket.
Only because of Jessie and her Wobbuffet.

Huge genwunner so they get top marks; also I grew up with these guys and I ship Jessie and James something fierce.

Team_Rocket_Vectors_by_MetalFrog.jpg

Team Galactic gets points for blowing up a lake, but those points (and more, way more) are taken away for those doofy outfits. Ugh.

scattered mind said:
Team Rocket will always be the more nostalgic and likeble team. I think it is not "fair" to compare other teams to them unless you take away the nostalgia and the anime team. I actually think that most of us like Jessie and James and it would not really matter if they were in another team. Try to think of what would happan if in the anime Jessie and James were switching their team to the "right" team of the current generation so every evil team would be the same in that all of them have Jessie and James.

In my case, I can remove all nostalgia factor and the Team Rocket Trio except for their introduction when hovering above Viridian's Police station, because back then I liked it and I didn't knew what was to come. All that said, Team Rocket still is my favorite team because they're a real threat to the Pokémon world even without using Legendaries (gamewise), their actions can give rise to more poaching and hunting and they manage to resurface. Also, they were the first and only team not to have ridiculous outfits (aside from Maxie (G.III), Lysandre and Neo-Plasma grunts)!

I would have to say that my favorite evil team is Team Rocket. They're honestly the only truly 'evil' crime syndicate throughout the games. Giovanni is an evil mastermind, and his plans for the team are the most malicious out of any of the other team leaders. He wants to TAKE OVER THE WORLD, while the others teams don't have that ambition. I mean c'mon, in HG/SS, Rocket was CUTTING OFF THE TAILS OF SLOWPOKES and selling them for profit. That's pretty dang evil. They are the true mafia of the pokemon world, and I love it! The Adventures manga version of Team Rocket was also pretty evil, and had an awesome background.

I'd love to see Team Rocket make a reappearance in the games again, although I don't think that'll happen unless they remake the Kanto and Johto games again.

For me, my favorite villainous teams would be team aqua and team magma. Only because the story in the games was more fun than any other team. But I don't think they were the best team.

Team aquas goal was little thought out. Expand the sea? The thing that already takes up 70%+ of the world?
Team Magma on the other hand made more sense. Since land takes up so little of the world. But like I said it seems both were little thought out. Now if they wanted to destroy the world than there plan would make sense. But they wanted to help the pokemon. And both magma and aqua don't come across as truly evil teams. They both seem as childish teams that want to help pokemon but go about it the complete wrong way. But there still my favorite teams for the games because they were the most fun.

Team Rocket I would say is more of the generic evil team. There is no world domination. They just want control of their region/regions. And all the stuff they do (compared to the other teams) is petty crimes like stealing, and holding hostages. They did kill pokemon which would be considered evil. And because of this I would say team rocket is the most villainous team. Unlike plasma, galactic, and flare where all the grunts are unaware and are more or less mindless followers, team rockets grunts know what is happening and are evil for the sake of evil. It wasn't Giovanni who killed the pokemon. It was the grunts. Team Rocket managed to capture the most rare pokemon (Mew) and create the most powerful pokemon in the game (mewtwo). And the best thing I liked about Team rocket was how Giovanni was the eighth gym leader. They even managed to infiltrate the gym leaders. And when you come across the last gym in the games. It was mind blowing to find the leader of team rocket was the gym leader.

Now people seem to talk bad about team galactic all the time. But I actually like them. There build up in the game wasn't as great as other teams. But there goal and the team itself was pretty good. People say how they were a bad team because the grunts mindlessly followed cyrus. But Im pretty sure that what game freak was going for. Galactic is more of a cult than anything. And every cult has one leader who knows whats going on and has a "plan" and everyone else is in love with him and blindly follow him because they agree with his plan. And a lot of cults throughout history have to do with the end of the world. Galactic is basically that. They're basically a cult. And they want to destroy this world in order to create a new world. And with the legends in the game being literal gods. It fits even more perfectly. As they want to use these gods to create there new world. And when you get to their build up it actually is pretty awesome. In a ruin on top of a mountain above the clouds where they call forth the god pokemon. And I feel the best villains are the ones that don't do evil for evils sake but do what they think is right, which just so happens to be evil. Or they do evil as more of a necessary evil. To better the world. Which is more or less what cyrus wanted to do. I personally love the team. I just wish game freak fleshed them out more in the game.

Team plasma was an okay team. The whole idea was good. I just didn't like how N was actually a good person. And Ghetsis was pulling his strings the whole time. I feel if N stuck with his ideals the whole time and was willing to be the villain to save pokemon it would have made a better story. And Ghetsis be his obedient right hand man. There were many things I liked about them. Like the castle, N defeating the champion, And N having the other box art legendary. All of those things were amazing. But the twist at the end where Ghetsis was behind it and N was just a victim of the whole thing just ruined it for me. And the fact that you had to catch the legendary for the story to proceed was also something the ruined it.
Neo Plasma I feel was more villainous than regular plasma. There goal is more straightforward. But the thing I didn't like about them was they were evil for evils sake. Which is just so boring to me. Its basically a copy and paste of every generic villain. The one thing I did like about them was Colress. Even though he was with them, he was more interested in research. And when it came down to it he really didn't care about the team.

And team flare. They were just boring. I love the idea of them using Yveltal/Xerneas as a weapon to destroy the world/region. Its an amazing idea. But the problem with them is that they just seem to show up out of no where with this crazy plan. You see them before this and they just seem like some crazy team with no true goals. And if I remember right, you don't even hear of the legendary till after the 6th or 7th gym. The build up and climax happen so quick you can't even enjoy it. Which I hope they fix this in the sequels of X and Y.
I hope the sequel is a sequel as in years later. and not just a repeat with very little change to the story. Where Team flare are a more dark and serious team. And are way more fleshed out.

But Id have to say the best villainous team would be galactic. As they are not evil for evils sake. They truly believe their goal is the right thing to do. And for how the legends are in the game it makes it all that much more interesting. And if the remake diamond and pearl. And at the rate pokemon is going it seems very likely. I hope they add more to the story line about them. And with Mega evolutions I feel they can expand upon it even more. Just like how they expanded upon team aqua and magma.

Team plasma was an okay team. The whole idea was good. I just didn't like how N was actually a good person. And Ghetsis was pulling his strings the whole time. I feel if N stuck with his ideals the whole time and was willing to be the villain to save pokemon it would have made a better story. And Ghetsis be his obedient right hand man. There were many things I liked about them. Like the castle, N defeating the champion, And N having the other box art legendary. All of those things were amazing. But the twist at the end where Ghetsis was behind it and N was just a victim of the whole thing just ruined it for me. And the fact that you had to catch the legendary for the story to proceed was also something the ruined it.

I agree. N seemed to be sort of a mysterious sophisticated evil person at first but ended up to be this naive and emotional person.
I thought that in the end he will outsmart Ghetsis and will have a hidden bigger plan. But I guess there is a limit to how original the Pokemon games can be in their stories.

Team Rocket managed to capture the most rare pokemon (Mew) and create the most powerful pokemon in the game (mewtwo).
In the anime and manga, sure, but in the games it's neither stated or hinted that they had any involvement in the creation of Mewtwo. When did they ever even capture Mew in any medium, though?

In the anime and manga, sure, but in the games it's neither stated or hinted that they had any involvement in the creation of Mewtwo. When did they ever even capture Mew in any medium, though?

I never said solely the games. I was talking all forms from manga, to anime, to games. Yes in the games its doesn't say. But since it does in the manga and anime, SO I'm sure thats what game freak wanted.
And Pokémon creator Satoshi Tajiri has endorsed the pokemon adventures series, stating "This is the comic that most resembles the world I was trying to convey." So Even if the game doesn't say Team Rocket had nothing to do with Mewtwo, Im going to assume thats what they wanted but just didnt put in the game for whatever reason. Maybe no room or space.

In Pokemon Pocket Monsters Manag, Giovanni does capture mew to create mewtwo. The creation was unsuccessful, but you did ask for "any" medium in which they captured mew.

Last edited:
You said they created the most powerful Pokemon "in the game", so I figured that was assuming this was true in the game, too.

I think you're more grasping at straws with using that quote from Tajiri to justify it being true of the games, as well, though. I thought it was pretty clear he was referring more to the general tone and feel of the adventures manga and not how all the events were what he really intended for the games to have. The games don't have the girl trainer at all and there's absolutely nothing to suggest that it was intended for half of the gym leaders to be part of Team Rocket. If Tajiri really planned to include Mewtwo to be created by TR, then by your logic he wanted to include these other things and there's absolutely nothing to suggest any of this.

I agree. N seemed to be sort of a mysterious sophisticated evil person at first but ended up to be this naive and emotional person.
I thought that in the end he will outsmart Ghetsis and will have a hidden bigger plan. But I guess there is a limit to how original the Pokemon games can be in their stories.

Unfortunately, N was a damaged kid that ended up being crowned, by a guy with strikingly similar hair colour and that after defeat wasn't even able to undo the mess he made. Seriouslt, the guy has the ability to speak with Pokémon and instead of helping the guys left behind, he goes on a journey. His loyal subjects are still remembering him and wanting him back and he does that.

Although a lot of people tend to hate them, I love Team Flare. There are several reasons for this, so I'll list them all.

1. Their plan. X and Y's plot is quite dark for a kid's game. Team Flare was planning to... eliminate all life on the planet except for themselves... Whoa. That's quite extreme, and it gives the games a mature edge that the series definitely needed. Still, how are these games rated E if the story is so dark?!

2. Their motives. Although Lysandre's methods were extreme, he does have a point. He was trying to end overpopulation and conflict, and stop people from using Pokémon as tools. As he said, "Even though resources, space, and energy on this planet are limited, the number of people and Pokémon has increased to an unsustainable level. Whether it's money or energy, the ones who steal are the ones who win in this world.", and "Pokémon are wonderful beings. Humans have worked with Pokémon, and we have helped each other flourish. But precisely because of that, they will inevitably become tools for war and theft!".

3. Although this is minor compared to the other two reasons, there is one thing about the Team Flare Grunts that I love. Lysandre said that he wants to "create a more beautiful world", but the grunts took that a bit too literally and tried to become beautiful themselves. Have you seen how obsessed with fashion they are?

Last edited:
Although a lot of people tend to hate them, I love Team Flare. There are several reasons for this, so I'll list them all.

1. Their plan. X and Y's plot is quite dark for a kid's game. Team Flare was planning to... eliminate all life on the planet except for themselves... Whoa. That's quite extreme, and it gives the games a mature edge that the series definitely needed. Still, how are these games rated E if the story is so dark?!

2. Their motives. Although Lysandre's methods were extreme, he does have a point. He was trying to end overpopulation and conflict, and stop people from using pokemon as tools. As he said, "Even though resources, space, and energy on this planet are limited, the number of people and Pokémon has increased to an unsustainable level. Whether it's money or energy, the ones who steal are the ones who win in this world.", and "Pokémon are wonderful beings. Humans have worked with Pokémon, and we have helped each other flourish. But precisely because of that, they will inevitably become tools for war and theft!".

3. Although this is minor compared to the other two reasons, there is one thing about the Team Flare Grunts that I love. Lysandre said that he wants to "create a more beautiful world", but the grunts took that a bit too literally and tried to become beautiful themselves. Have you seen how obsessed with fashion they are?

Well, saying "eliminate all life" is clear and extreme but Team Galactic (Cyrus at least) went even further, wanting to create an entire new universe, obliterating everything!It's something that's unfortunately true (for all games after it) but has to be said: Gen. IV touched upon the Pokémon Gods, the very beginning and creator of the Universe, so in terms of sheer scale there won't be anything like it.

Guess I'm in the minority but I gotta say it...

Team Dim Sun and the Go-Rock Squad from the Pokemon Rangers! Team Dim Sun is one of the more ambitious, efficient, and successful villainous teams from any of the games. The amount of effort they put into gaining control of Almia is just stunning, as well as the resources they had at their disposal to concoct their plans. They almost had Darkrai under their grasp which shows how close they were to actually completing their plans, which is something that other teams can't boast of. Also lending to their attraction was the bosses since I thought they had fairly interesting personalities.

The Go-Rock Squad is, in my opinion, the Team Rocket of the Pokemon Ranger world, with a somewhat generic plan that was still pretty devious. Tricking the public into viewing them as the heroes and the Rangers as the enemies by controlling the Pokemon into wreaking havoc and coming in to clean their messes is a common concept, but still worked wonders. Back to the basic, you could say. And who couldn't love their catchy theme song! It got me dancing to the groovy beats every time.

Now for the main Pokemon games, Team Galactic is at the top in 1st place with Neo-Team Plasma and Team Flare tied for 2nd place. The reasons: they were the first team I ever faced, so the nostalgia is there. I believe their plans were beyond diabolical, calling forth the primeval deities of the Pokemon world to bring its end (Platinum made the story more enjoyable for me with the inclusion of Giratina). Cyrus is an uncontainable genius madman, capable of turning a bunch of people into thought-deprived minions. Overall, it was a compelling story for me and my imagination.

Neo-Team Plasma was a major step forward for the Unova villains with a leader more unhinged than the last time, more brutal followers eagerly willing to freeze an entire city just to test out their shiny new freeze-ray cannon, messing around with the genetics of a legendary Pokemon, which according to past events, will not turn out very good for anyone (yes, Mewtwo, you arrogant scoundrel...), and bringing the main character to the point of death ranks the team high on my list.

Team Flare, while hated by many, is a misunderstood team, in my honest opinion. First of all, utilizing the Life/Death Legendaries to rid the Earth of all living beings is messed up to a catastrophically high degree. With Xerneas, all life forces would be absorbed back into its body while with Yveltal, actually waves of death would just end all life on Earth. All for the goal of creating a glorious new world with those egocentric, empty-headed pansies known as the Team Flare grunts as the new human race... that outcome would be 50/50 since the chance is there, but with followers like those, Lysandre would have wished to leave some brilliant minds alive. As for the leader Lysandre, he reminds me of Cyrus, with his lofty ideas and fractured mindset, so he is redeemable in my eyes. Once again, the theme songs are really catchy in my opinion as well

I've always loved Team Rocket, but not because of Jessie, James and Meowth - in fact, I like TR in spite of those three. I've always liked the darker parts of Rocket, like the grunts, evil scientists, and Giovanni himself. That we often don't see their eyes makes them seem so much more mysterious, and they've always been shown as powerful players in the Pokemon world. Both their anime and game schemes have just been devious, from taking over the Radio Tower and Lake of Rage, to creating a super Pokemon and trying to enslave a horde of clones. You don't mess around with Team Rocket.

Special mention also goes to Cipher and Team Snagem, mostly because I'm a Colosseum/XD nerd and really liked a lot of aspects of the Orre region, and the idea of making Shadow Pokemon is pretty darn cool. Plus stealing Pokemon and being willing to hurt people makes you a force to be reckoned with.

~Psychic

Back