Discussion Yanmega XY11 - Viability and partners.

Javi Blizz

Spanish TCG Player
@MechanicalMarine , if you are going to play it in expanded, why not using Electrode from Plasma Freeze instead of Octillery?

Guys, what do you think about adding Glalie EX to the deck? Since you're going to use Judge, you can use that to make 150 damage, enough to OHKO some threats for this deck such as Raikou (unless you have enough Muscle Bands to enchain Yanmega BREAK's attack every turn). Another interesting option I see is Manectric EX. You want your opponent's pokemon to have tools for Yanmega's attack. Manectric use the same strategy and hit M Ray for weakness, which I think is a bad match up for Yanmega.

MechanicalMarine

Princess Peach
@MechanicalMarine , if you are going to play it in expanded, why not using Electrode from Plasma Freeze instead of Octillery?

Guys, what do you think about adding Glalie EX to the deck? Since you're going to use Judge, you can use that to make 150 damage, enough to OHKO some threats for this deck such as Raikou (unless you have enough Muscle Bands to enchain Yanmega BREAK's attack every turn). Another interesting option I see is Manectric EX. You want your opponent's pokemon to have tools for Yanmega's attack. Manectric use the same strategy and hit M Ray for weakness, which I think is a bad match up for Yanmega.
Hey, that's not a bad idea. Bicycle works too. Might try those as well, probably 2-3.

OntheMooFarm

Aspiring Trainer
I think Yanmega is a very viable card in today's format. Any form of energy costless card is extremely powerful, as it can stream far easier and can't be taken down by Team Flare Grunts and Hammers.

For consistency, I think running a 2-2 of Octillery is a must. Allowing you to refresh your hand one card above the magical number is great, and if you can't drop your hand by a single card in this format, I think there might be a problem. :p

Forest of Giant Plants also looks like a great option. It allows for great streaming potential and even hitting on your first turn, if you go second, which is a great opportunity to get ahead in the prize wars.

I did notice that Yanmega can dish out the magical number of 170 on an EX using a Muscle Band + Giovanni + Ariados. Although this feels like a lot of work and thus isn't a good option, it could be worthwhile to look into. If you go by this route, running Sceptile-EX may also be good. Otherwise, Yanmega can 1-hit KO a Head Ringer'd Shaymin-EX (or if in BREAK form, using a Muscle Band), which would be a viable strategy of this deck. Target Whistles could be used to enhance it.

As for partners, I don't think that Vileplume would be a good option. While an appealing option, it makes you more reliant on using Judge to attack for free, which also ends up refreshing your opponent's hand, which is not always good. I can't see Vespiquen working well either, as for Vespiquen to work effectively, you generally need to rid your entire hand, which is sorta against the Yanmega strategy. It also feels a bit clunky.

A brainwave here, but I think running Bats would be great, if there is space. Bats give Yanmega the ability to make 1-hit KOs without using a single Energy. Otherwise, perhaps Servine FCL could be used to attempt to get a Paralysis flip so you can 2-hit KO without getting KO'd first. Ludicolo PRC also looks like a fun option, especially with Target Whistle, to bring up Shaymins and other easier prizes.

I have already started testing the deck with proxies, and Yanmega can set itself up fairly consistently T1 with Forest of Giant Plants, Ultra Ball, and Level Ball. I think Yanmega has the potential to be at least high tier, if not top tier like Night March. If someone can figure out a way to get out Yanmega early and hit hard, the bug might wind up being a fantastic card to use.

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
Isn't the goal to get 4 cards in your hand? :p
Well, yes (I did overlook that xD), but even still, if the decklist is constructed well so many cards are usable, having any extra card would be nice. With that in mind, I still think that Octillery is superior.

MechanicalMarine

Princess Peach
Well, yes (I did overlook that xD), but even still, if the decklist is constructed well so many cards are usable, having any extra card would be nice. With that in mind, I still think that Octillery is superior.
I do definately agree with you. I tried to make it so many cards were burnable so when you drew five, you could play one and be at four. I'll try to playtest it using Electrode and Octillery both, and see which is more consistent.

Draaka

Aspiring Trainer
The best thing about the whole deck is as you don't play any energy you have 8-12 slots open for cool stuff and techs more than everyone else, the FGP/Revitilizer/Compressor engine is quite compact and tried and tested.

You could even play a toolboxish variant with only four rainbow energy and stuff such as Manaphy EX or the new Magerena EX (http://www.pokebeach.com/2016/06/fall-2016-battle-heart-tins). But with it being quite a fragile card, unable to use FFB and fast as all hell I don't think you will need them, but it is an idea I thought was worth throwing out there. There are other things that give bonus to pokemon with X type of energy attached.

One thing to consider is how damaging N is to this deck. Although with Octillery instead of Shaymin I guess it's not so bad late game.

MechanicalMarine

Princess Peach
One other little thing that I don't think will be too useful (I'll still test it) but can situationally be better occasianally is Flygon PRC. Each turn you have the option to refresh your hand and bring you to 4 cards. I just think this won't work as the primary draw support because it makes it clunkier than it already is seeming and takes one more turn to get it out than Eletrode/Octillery. Unless of course, you use Rare Candy.
(For those who don't know, Flygon PRC lets you once a turn make either player shuffle their hand into their deck and draw 4 cards.)