Blog Y'all Got Anymore of Them Basics? Jolteon-EX and Why He's Getting Hype

Just. Wow.
I've never seen an article written like that! The Tone, The Comprehensiveness, the enticing language... It's just what is needed in the Pokemon Community

I may have won the Last article Contest, but yours is sure to be a top contender this month.
Additonally, Jolteon EX has been really floating on my mind as of late. It's really scary given the decks I can afford, and the Big-Basic build I'm planning on taking. Your article fills my gap of knowledge entirely, dictating how it could work.
(Now we just need someone to explain Revitalizer to me :p)

If the deck makes a huge impact at states this weekend, it's price will surely BREAK the roof. Still, I at least can be hopeful that less people will play the card as the high price tag limits it's availability to the average Joe.

I have been freaking out over writing my thesis. But at the end you said the article was only 7000 words. My thesis only has to be 8000. When you see it all on one page like that it seems a lot more manageable. Thank you you have stopped me freaking out so much.

Also this article was great reading. Spent a ton on generations packs today, pulled every eeveelution in every variety except jolteon. sigh.

@Sean Smith - Thanks man, glad you enjoyed it!

@TheUltimateAbsol - Lol brotha that means a lot. I try to write as I would speak in real life, so it's more of an in-depth conversation than a simple reading experience. I hope, (with your blessing lol), that I can snag the grand prize this time! $40 for a card already is huge, but man - I can see it going higher. Gallade is its bane at this point, so I dunno how excited we can get over Jolteon just yet...let's see what happens at States.

@Draaka - Yo bro it actually got to be around 7,500...so even more manageable! :D Thanks for the kind words fam.

Just read your article on Jolteon-EX. Probably the best article I've read on Pokebeach so far :) I loved the writing style and your analysis is really really good. In the deceits have you considered running Max Potion? Energy can be brought back with MegaMan and it improves the Raichu/Bats and Vespiquen matchups greatly :). Also a Xerosic could help Raichu/Bats and Vespiquen Matchups because of the DCE loss. It could also help you get any potential head ringers off of MegaMan or Jolteron-EX.

LOVED the article! :)

(I took this from a convo we were having via PM and am addressing it here because some might wanna know.)

First and foremost, that's a huge compliment and that means so much. Wow. Thank you. Second, I really really wanted Max Potion in here, but then I realized if you're focusing on Jolteon...you won't need to remove much damage. I would definitely include Max Potion if the deck were more centered around MegaMan. I don't see myself stopping anyone from trying to tech one or two, but I think it takes away from the core and consistency when you're opting to not get damaged at all with Flash Ray. Xerosic is dirty and definitely should've been mentioned - my b. Head Ringer is nasty and very irritating, (especially against those disruption decks), but with the Max Elixir, we might be able to work around that already. It's definitely a viable tech option and everyone should consider Xerosic. Thanks for that Gabking.

Pretty funny and a Jolteon article is something that I'm sure a ton of people will find helpful. Jolteon is being hyped but there isn't much written about it atm. ManJolt is good.

Awesome article! Just one point about raichu. You mention it's easy to win in the stadium war and also do Lysandre KOes on Shaymin. As a Raichu player, I guarantee you the first things I am discarding are my Shaymin-EX if my stadium replaces. And I never see a Manectric player stream hexs more than 2 turns in a row.
Based on PTCGO wins (I was testing Rai/Bats for states), it is about 80/20, where Raichu loses 10% from dead draws and 10% from mad draws from my opponent.
Outside of this, very well written article! I thought you were a contender in last month, but you are certainly up there for this month!

Great article! I just wanted to point out one fatal flaw about Jolteon-EX as a whole though. Garchomp is rising in popularity, and Gallade is already popular. And probably the worst of all, when Fates Collide comes out, this 40 dollar card will go to a 10 dollar card, here's why: Carbink Break/ Zygarde/ Regirock is going to be a thing, and that by itself might make Vespiquen tier 1 again, making the bees swarm, killing Jolteons left and right until they win. Jolteon may be good now, but a lot of people are working around it fast. I've seen practically ALL Night March players put in Gallade to their list(Though Xerosic would mostly get around that),and hammer decks can pretty much take this thing down(But then again, MegaMan). But considering the evidence, if there's ANYONE reading this who owns Jolteon-EX at ALL,... sell it...

@grantm1999 - Thanks man, yeah I was surprised. I had finished the article a while ago and was praying that no one would snipe my writing material before it got published lol.

@Elbow - Thanks dude! I'm glad you enjoyed it haha. I believe your extensive testing for sure - from my experiences and my playtesting, Hex has always been key. It's definitely weird for me to hear you haven't seen two Hex drops in a row - it's something I almost mandate against Bats decks if I don't have Rough Seas in play. With successive Rough Seas drops, it's tough for Raichu to dig resources back from the Discard, get Sky Field, and fill the Bench back up to 180, and then need a Crobat Sneaky Bite. I found that if I can break the chain of Circle Circuits and turn OHKOs to 2HKOs (or Retreat to a fresh MegaMan or Assault Vest'd Raikou) I can eventually even up or get ahead on the Prize trade.

@gumball51321 - You're exactly right. This article was completed before I saw any of these scans, and we might see his reign be short-lived. On the other hand, it still might be a tech option and Regice could get splashed back into MegaMan. I dunno how consistent that would be, however. You see Night March playing Gallade? That's something I haven't come across yet - I would suspect that players opt for more consistency and aim to discard all the cards possible to go for the one Gallade play. I'd like to see a list of this haha.

@grantm1999 - Thanks man, yeah I was surprised. I had finished the article a while ago and was praying that no one would snipe my writing material before it got published lol.

@Elbow - Thanks dude! I'm glad you enjoyed it haha. I believe your extensive testing for sure - from my experiences and my playtesting, Hex has always been key. It's definitely weird for me to hear you haven't seen two Hex drops in a row - it's something I almost mandate against Bats decks if I don't have Rough Seas in play. With successive Rough Seas drops, it's tough for Raichu to dig resources back from the Discard, get Sky Field, and fill the Bench back up to 180, and then need a Crobat Sneaky Bite. I found that if I can break the chain of Circle Circuits and turn OHKOs to 2HKOs (or Retreat to a fresh MegaMan or Assault Vest'd Raikou) I can eventually even up or get ahead on the Prize trade.

@gumball51321 - You're exactly right. This article was completed before I saw any of these scans, and we might see his reign be short-lived. On the other hand, it still might be a tech option and Regice could get splashed back into MegaMan. I dunno how consistent that would be, however. You see Night March playing Gallade? That's something I haven't come across yet - I would suspect that players opt for more consistency and aim to discard all the cards possible to go for the one Gallade play. I'd like to see a list of this haha.
I could probably post a list on the Night March Variant page, because I remember the majority of the list I saw/played against. And you're right, Jolteon CAN still be splashed into many decks. My point is mainly that even though Jolteon can be splashed into decks, that's just splashing. Basically, I don't think Jolteon doesn't have much potential by itself. Maybe Vileplume though.

Pretty entertaining, as well as informative read. I managed to get my hands on one Jolteon EX so far, still need that second one.

gumball - by itself would require more of a turbo build and is kind of a gamble imo. You'd burn through your deck going for T1 Flash Ray, probably dropping a Shaymin or two in the process (coughcough Lysandre targets cough cough) and even then Bees and Gallade still see play. I wouldn't recommend it. This is why I had it paired with my homie. I think it did well this weekend with Vileplume, or it did ok somewhere with it.

Thanks @Milennin! What are you trying to run Jolteon with?

gumball - by itself would require more of a turbo build and is kind of a gamble imo. You'd burn through your deck going for T1 Flash Ray, probably dropping a Shaymin or two in the process (coughcough Lysandre targets cough cough) and even then Bees and Gallade still see play. I wouldn't recommend it. This is why I had it paired with my homie. I think it did well this weekend with Vileplume, or it did ok somewhere with it.

Thanks @Milennin! What are you trying to run Jolteon with?
Yeah, most likely.

@Serperior

A cracking article and an enjoyable read.

Jolteon-EX has been receiving a lot of hype and I've been keeping an eye on US States results to see how it's been doing. It's interesting to see that, although there are a handful of Jolteon-EXs in top 8s, it doesn't seem to have forced back the tide of Night March!

I love the inclusion of Assault Vest in your list to help with Vespiquen, Night March (should it find a way around Flash Ray) and Seismitoad (if you can get it down before the Quaking Punch).

States Results courtesy of Charizard Lounge here.

Back