XY5 'Gaia Volcano' and 'Tidal Storm' Leaking! [12/10]

Okay, I think I'm going to stay away from all of this in-depth discussion. :D

I honestly wouldn't mind Mega Blaziken in Emerald Break, despite my bias towards him. (seriously, he's over-rated) I think that it would be cool to see another Fire Type Mega before Black/White rotates.

Yeah, but if M. Camperupt EX does appear in the Aqua/Magma crisis mini set, we'd have another fire type mega before the rotation too.

I have a couple questions:

1) Attacking ends your turn. so if you have a pokemon with multi-strike, are you able to attack, do more of your turn (play trainers/energies), then attack again? or do you have to do both attacks one after another?

2) does anybody know a good site i can buy japanese singles on. (there are not many on ebay yet)

Agidyne said:

1) Attacking ends your turn. so if you have a pokemon with multi-strike, are you able to attack, do more of your turn (play trainers/energies), then attack again? or do you have to do both attacks one after another?

2) does anybody know a good site i can buy japanese singles on. (there are not many on ebay yet)

The multistrike trait basically means you do damage and all effects twice, similar to the Parental Band ability.

Agidyne said:

The current translation seems to imply that you are only allowed to attack twice, and nothing more. It does not act like a skip-your-opponent's-turn effect.

That said, it is never wise to comment adamantly on how cards work before the English translation comes around. We'll see for sure in a couple of months.

bbninjas: thats what i figure too, but i believe you can do two different attacks if you want (like do nidoqueens first attack and second attack in one turn).

Auride: I wasn't suggesting that it would act as a "skip-your-opponent's-turn effect". what i mean would be easier to explain with an example. I mean like use torchics first attack (discard a R energy and draw 2 cards), then potentially make use of the two new cards you just got, then do the attack again, then your turn ends. the translation does not seem to make any reference to that. also, i did not "comment adamantly". it was a question, not a statement. wondering what other people think about that idea

Agidyne said:
also, i did not "comment adamantly". it was a question, not a statement. wondering what other people think about that idea

I think he meant that he did not want to make too strong an assertion without all the facts. You weren't adamant at all. :p

If i am reading the Beedrill correctly its attack allergy shock says "During your next turn, the Defending Pokemon that was hit by this attack is Knocked Out". If it said the defending pokemon I would asume that switching or retreating cancels the effects of the move but it says the defending pokemon that was hit by this attack so i think even if the pokemon leaves the active spot then it would still be KO'd. With the most recent definition of defending pokemon that said any pokemon damaged by an attack is considerd the active pokemon not only the active pokemon. This card could cause some confusion.

Ironman131 said:
If i am reading the Beedrill correctly its attack allergy shock says "During your next turn, the Defending Pokemon that was hit by this attack is Knocked Out". If it said the defending pokemon I would asume that switching or retreating cancels the effects of the move but it says the defending pokemon that was hit by this attack so i think even if the pokemon leaves the active spot then it would still be KO'd. With the most recent definition of defending pokemon that said any pokemon damaged by an attack is considerd the active pokemon not only the active pokemon. This card could cause some confusion.

It shouldn't. The PTCG rules also specifically say that whenever a Pokemon is retreated, all effects on the Pokemon is removed. However, if the effect is on you (such as item locks), then that is different.

Normally I would completly agree with you but because the attack says the defending pokemon that was hit by this attack and not just the defending pokemon. It will be interesting what will actually be the ruling on this card.

On page 27 of the rule book wasnt the definition of defending pokemon changed to any pokemon that recieves attatcks rather tha just the pokemon attacking on the opponents side?

Ironman131 said:
Normally I would completly agree with you but because the attack says the defending pokemon that was hit by this attack and not just the defending pokemon. It will be interesting what will actually be the ruling on this card.

Do keep in mind that what you read currently is merely a translation of the Japanese text, which may have different language rulings associated with it. Cards with similarly targeted effects have been translated with that same "that was hit by this attack" clause have been translated before, and turn out to simply be "the defending Pokemon" (as normal) in the official English set.

As usual, it is a very long-standing meta-ruling that all effects on a Pokemon are removed if it hits the bench. If any translation suggests a violation of this rule, I would take it with a grain of salt and just assume it's a slight mis-translation. Again, always better to save judgement until the official English cards are revealed.

Ironman131 said:

I'm going to go with no. As previously stated, when a Pokemon is put on the Bench all effects are removed from it. A great example of this is Kyurem (PLF31) and its Blizzard Burn. Blizzard Burn's effect says it can't attack during your next turn, despite that, if you can put it on the Bench and then return it to the Active it can magically attack again. Beedrill's attack is just like that, except instead of their Pokemon not being able to attack it gets Knocked Out.

That said, it might be, however unlikely it is.

Blui said:
Ironman131 said:

I'm going to go with no. As previously stated, when a Pokemon is put on the Bench all effects are removed from it. A great example of this is Kyurem (PLF31) and its Blizzard Burn. Blizzard Burn's effect says it can't attack during your next turn, despite that, if you can put it on the Bench and then return it to the Active it can magically attack again. Beedrill's attack is just like that, except instead of their Pokemon not being able to attack it gets Knocked Out.

That said, it might be, however unlikely it is.

Not to mention OP. You're opponent needs to be lucky enough to be one prize ahead during the game if that's the case.

If the card is just translated weird than o well it was just a theory. I wouldn't be surprised with the actually card working like previous cards or working like I mentioned.

It's not weird. It's worded identically to previous delayed Knock Out effects like Absol SV's Doom News, with one small change due to the term "Defending Pokemon" changing slightly in definition. And those go away if the Pokemon is benched.

What does everyone think about the Kingdra with Alpha Growth? Slap on a Silver Bangle and you're getting KOs on all non-Megas (and Wailord EX). And it could easily pair with Kingdra PLF for some huge damage and late game energy recovery. Plus, new Kingdra has beautiful art.

I'm a huge fan of Kingdra so I'm hoping it will be at least semi-competitive.

Also, I feel like M Gardevoir EX instantly makes Aromatisse Tier 1. Assuming you're using 3 fairy energy to attack, you only need three more on the bench to hit 180 damage. And 1-3 more energy on the field let's you OHKO Megas.

While Kingdra seems impressive on paper, it's somewhat lackluster in our current format. There isn't really any engine in place with which to build a deck for Kingdra, and it's not really good enough to stand on its own. Sure it's great once you set up, but setting up is particularly difficult in this format (see Seismitoad-EX) and Kingdra doesn't really have that same extra-kick to it that makes other Stage 2 attackers somewhat usable.

What's nice about Empoleon and the new Swampert is that once you have one in play, getting the second and third is a lot easier. Stringing together attackers from one turn to the next becomes realistic. Relying on your 150 HP Pokemon to stay alive for as many turns as it takes to set one up is not a good strategy.

That and even once you have Kingdra set up, it takes so much to keep it going. Every turn you need to find two different types of basic Energy in the same hand to actually attack, and you need those Silver Bangles too (which are very easy for your opponent to just Surprise Megaphone away). With no efficient way of gathering all these resources (at least not with the space that you have left in the deck by the time you have all of the necessary cards written down) Kingdra is, sadly, doomed to fail.

And M Gardevoir-EX probably doesn't make Aromatisse Tier 1, You still have to set up two stage 1s (one of which needs a special tool just to not cost you your turn) and get 6 energy into play somehow (not too difficult with small Xerneas, but it still takes at least 2 turns of Geomancy and hand attachments). Sure, M Kangaskhan worked last format, but there wasn't Seismitoad-EX around.

The Darkness Resistance is definitely a nice boon, though. Just don't play it if Bronzong is popular where you are.

Back