Discussion XY11 Rainbow Force

xTITAN

Training Aspirer
Do you think the Dual Types in XY11 could make Rainbow Force a viable standard deck?

Broken Vine Space + Shiftry, Volcanion-EX, Shaymin-EX, and Xerneas on your bench would deal 190 damage, and it could very possibly be done T1. And if they make more Dual Type EXs, you could drop the Vine Space and use Skyfield.

Could this be a viable deck?

Broken Vine Space + Shiftry will surely be too clunky as you need at least a 2-2-2 line to get it set up. It's better to devote 2 of each type to have 3 different types rather than 2 in my opinion, meaning you can also have a different stadium.

Volcanion-EX + Hoopa-EX + Shaymin-EX + Xerneas + Another-EX would make a solid 190, which is far easier to set up with Hoopa and makes Max Elixir shenanigans a bit more realistic.

it's already T2/3, so definitely. In expanded it came in 2nd in Seattle regionals this past weekend

there will also be a Xernas BREAK, so who knows what other goodies the deck will get

Last edited:
it's already T2/3, so definitely. In expanded it came in 2nd in Seattle regionals this past weekend

there will also be a Xernas BREAK, so who knows what other goodies the deck will get
Yeah, you're right. This could potentially be a top tier deck depending on what else is in XY11.

It also has access to tanking effects, include Max Potion if you go for a Aromatisse build (which is clunky, admittedly), while Fighting Spirit Belt would be an obvious addition to increase Xerneas' livability.

It also has access to tanking effects, include Max Potion if you go for a Aromatisse build (which is clunky, admittedly), while Fighting Spirit Belt would be an obvious addition to increase Xerneas' livability.

FFB is a must to get out of reach of most OHKO, but there's no way you'd play it with Aromatisse. You must have 1 Xerneas in the active and 1 on the bench powering up, which is your Fairy bench type. If you take up another slot with a Fairy Aromatisse you're missing out on your max damage. A bench of 5 types + FFB hits 170, with a Skyfield at 6 types you can OHKO EX's, with 7, pretty much every Mega is going down too (Rayquaza, Mewtwo, Manectric, etc.)

Actually, a pretty wild idea, though I think it has worked with some archetypes so it *may* work here in the right build, is using a few Energy Switches to conserve resources better, especially with Max Elixir combos and potentially Puzzle of Time and Max Potion shenanigans. Gee, I really like this deck idea. ^.^

Actually, a pretty wild idea, though I think it has worked with some archetypes so it *may* work here in the right build, is using a few Energy Switches to conserve resources better, especially with Max Elixir combos and potentially Puzzle of Time and Max Potion shenanigans. Gee, I really like this deck idea. ^.^

I play this deck very heavily, won my local league championship in Expanded with it this past weekend. Max Elixir is a must to power Xerneas up with a Fairy and a DCE in 1 turn. You could use Exp Share, but I've been using FFB instead to hit the 170 magic number. Puzzle of Time will not fit IMO, there's too many pokemon and energy to get 4 PoT.

I play this deck a lot on PTCGO and so far nothing from the new set makes this deck any better, but there might be something good. The deck already hits 190 using AT Golurk. (Who is actually your main attacker in some games). The Xerneas BREAK could be good but it needs 160 HP or a powerful ability so it's worth using over FFB and we might get a basic/stage 1 dual type that actually fits in the deck.

EX cards cause a prize race for your opponent. I do run 2 Shaymin-EX but I also run 7 types so I can fill my bench and still do full damage well forcing my opponent into taking 6 prizes. Filling the deck up with EX cards just gives your opponent a faster prize race. More so if you are running so many: odds are that they might have a type advantage on one of your EX cards and can easily OHKO with a Lysander.

There are also what I consider core poekmon to the deck and having any overlapping types with them makes that pokemon redundant. Fairy is the main one, as your main attacker you should always have one on the bench getting powered up or ready to go. AT Golurk is Psychic and Fighting and is my main attacker against things like Jolteon, Mewtwo, and Alakazam. I also run Octillery as a great bench warmer that helps me keep my hand up when I don't want to play Shaymin-EX.

That leaves me with 3 extra types. I use Druddigon, he hits 90 for a DCE and a FFB after I loose a pokemon and is a basic so I don't need to worry about evolving; Zoroark, as a solid back-up for just a DCE; and Shaymin-EX just so I can "set-up" and to give me a 7th type to OHKO M Ray. Currently the only other cards that really fit are Vespiqueen, as a late game sweeper or Greninja counter, (Gininja is actually a big problem for this deck) and Stardust Jirachi, just as a stall or disruption.

So far nothing from the new set adds anything to this deck. Volcanion-EX gives two free prizes to a bad match-up, shares a type with Octillery, and as an EX can loose you the prize race. M Gardevoir and Azumarill have all their types covered. M Steelix offers one new type but there is no reason to play it when you could just run a Promo Jirachi in it's place and do better. Shiftry offers two new types but being a stage 2 means that you'd have to devote too much to get it into play. We need a dual type stage 1 that could replace Zoroark (Or Vespiqueen in that slot) or a dual type basic; again, not being Fairy, Psychic, Fighting, or Water.

I can see fairy tool box being a thing again, rainbow energies plus the new Mew, plus the ability to hit so many different weaknesses in a deck. Seems pottentially viable. Can't wait to see what kind of multi type support options are printed as trainers or special energy. Hoping they make something that is usable.

Back