• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard (XY-STS) Volcanion-EX / Volcanion / Flareon-EX

WastedSkyPirate

Hi all!

This is our only chance to use Volcanion-EX with Blacksmith in Standard and, as such, I put this list together. It will be interesting to see if a Volcanion-EX deck shows up at Worlds and, if so, how it performs.

volcanion_by_tomycase-d9kf7po.png

If you were planning to play this at Worlds, what changes would you make?

Version 1.0

Pokemon (14)

4 Volcanion-EX
4 Volcanion
2 Shaymin-EX
2 Flareon-EX
1 Hoopa-EX
1 Entei (AOR #14)

Trainers (34)

3 Professor Sycamore
2 N
2 Blacksmith
1 Lysandre
1 Hex Maniac
1 Fisherman
1 Ninja Boy

4 VS Seeker
4 Ultra Ball
4 Trainers' Mail
3 Fighting Fury Belt
2 Professor's Letter
1 Battle Compressor
1 Startling Megaphone
1 Escape Rope

2 Sky Field
1 Scorched Earth

Energy (12)

12 Fire Energy

Strategy

The focus should be on using Volcanion's Power Heater in the early stages to accelerate Energy to your side of the field. Simultaneously, use multiple Steam Up from your Volcanion-EX to boost your attacker's damage output. Between Hoopa-EX, Shaymin-EX and Sky Field you should be able to set up quickly and consistently.

With Power Heater you can charge your benched Pokemon fairly quickly and start trading prizes in your favour. Flareon-EX is a consistent secondary attacker that can absorb stranded Energy with Flash Fire, while Entei forces your opponent to think before putting any Pokemon on the bench and punishes them for taking advantage of your Sky Field.

As all of the Pokemon are Basic, Ninja Boy is a real star of the deck. Aside from helping to get out your ideal starter, one big play is to switch out a benched Hoopa-EX/Shaymin-EX for a Volcanion-EX, giving you access to a Steam Up that your opponent may not expect. I'd argue that any deck playing Hoopa-EX should include at least one copy of Ninja Boy.

Anyway, please let me know if you have any suggestions. All feedback is welcome!

PS. One further topic/question for discussion:

If I were to attack with Volcanion-EX's Volcanic Heat attack on one turn then, on the next turn, Ninja Boy into another Pokemon. Would the new Pokemon be able to attack or would the preventative effect of Volcanic Heat carry through? As per the wording of Ninja Boy, I believe the new Pokemon would not be able to attack as all existing effects remain in place.

Answers on the back of a postcard please!

Last edited:

Frontier Brain David

Aspiring Trainer
If I were to attack with Volcanion-EX's Volcanic Heat attack on one turn then, on the next turn, Ninja Boy into another Pokemon. Would the new Pokemon be able to attack or would the preventative effect of Volcanic Heat carry through? As per the wording of Ninja Boy, I believe the new Pokemon would not be able to attack as all existing effects remain in place.
I just want to suggest that you may use Pokemon Ranger to use Volcanic Heat repetitively. Just in case Ninja Boy wouldn't let you.

WastedSkyPirate

I just want to suggest that you may use Pokemon Ranger to use Volcanic Heat repetitively. Just in case Ninja Boy wouldn't let you.

Hi David! Thanks for the heads up.

Yes, it did cross my mind to include a copy of Pokemon Ranger, however I don't expect to be attacking with Volcanion-EX often (if at all). Once this deck gets some testing under its belt, I might find otherwise.

Dark Espeon

Dark Avatar
Hi WastedSkyPirate,

Nice deck. Consider these modifications:

- 2 Flareon Ex (Volcanion Ex is a decent attacker with Blacksmith around)
- 1 Professor's Letter (one should suffice to search out energies)
- 1 Trainer's Mail (needed the deck space)

+ 2 Float Stone (helps a lot with the retreat cost)
+ 1 Energy Retrieval (spread out the energy search cards)
+ 1 Pokémon Ranger (works real well with Volcanion Ex and is another Jolteon Ex counter)

Not sure on Skyfield since you have Ninja Boy to turn Hoopa Ex and Shaymin Ex into useful attackers. Hope that helps.

Frontier Brain David

Aspiring Trainer
Hi David! Thanks for the heads up.

Yes, it did cross my mind to include a copy of Pokemon Ranger, however I don't expect to be attacking with Volcanion-EX often (if at all). Once this deck gets some testing under its belt, I might find otherwise.
Hello there WastedSkyPirate,

Yeah, I am actually going to build a variant of this. I will test too and post my list sometime here in the future. I am just trying to build one for post-rotation though. So no blacksmith but probably strong Power Heater attacks. I will try Flareon EX and Entei with the double tools. Moment of silence for blacksmith, lol.

WastedSkyPirate

@Dark Espeon @Frontier Brain David

Thanks for the feedback guys! Let me know how you get on in testing. I'll try out your suggestions when I get the chance.

Another way to play the deck is with Blacksmith, Battle Compressor and Energy Reset. The plan being to thin the deck with Battle Compressor, Blacksmith to power up your active Volcanion and accelerate with Power Heater. When you need Energy in your hand for Steam Up and Scorched Earth, play down an Energy Reset to get back the number that you need.

I see Energy flow as the big challenge for Volcanion decks. There is a conflict between wanting Energy in your hand for Steam Up and in the discard pile for Blacksmith and Power Heater. Without Battle Compressor, you're unlikely to be able to maximise the effectiveness of Blacksmith and Power Heater in one turn. However, the more Energy you discard with Battle Compressor, the less likely you are to have it in your hand for Steam Up.

Anyway, here's my list for the Energy Reset version:

Updated with:

-1 Fire Energy
+1 Switch

Pokemon (12)

4 Volcanion-EX
4 Volcanion
3 Shaymin-EX
1 Hoopa-EX

Trainers (37)

4 Blacksmith
1 Professor Sycamore
1 Hex Maniac
1 Pokemon Ranger
1 Ninja Boy
1 Lysandre

4 VS Seeker
4 Ultra Ball
4 Battle Compressor
3 Trainers' Mail
3 Fighting Fury Belt
3 Energy Reset
1 Professor's Letter
1 Startling Megaphone
1 Escape Rope
1 Switch

3 Scorched Earth

Energy (11)

11 Fire Energy

Last edited:

Frontier Brain David

Aspiring Trainer
@Dark Espeon @Frontier Brain David

Thanks for the feedback guys! Let me know how you get on in testing. I'll try out your suggestions when I get the chance.

Another way to play the deck is with Blacksmith, Battle Compressor and Energy Reset. The plan being to thin the deck with Battle Compressor, Blacksmith to power up your active Volcanion and accelerate with Power Heater. When you need Energy in your hand for Steam Up and Scorched Earth, play down an Energy Reset to get back the number that you need.

Here's my quickly-put-together list:

Pokemon (12)

4 Volcanion-EX
4 Volcanion
3 Shaymin-EX
1 Hoopa-EX

Trainers (36)

4 Blacksmith
1 Professor Sycamore
1 Hex Maniac
1 Pokemon Ranger
1 Ninja Boy
1 Lysandre

4 VS Seeker
4 Ultra Ball
4 Battle Compressor
3 Trainers' Mail
3 Fighting Fury Belt
3 Energy Reset
1 Professor's Letter
1 Startling Megaphone
1 Escape Rope

3 Scorched Earth

Energy (12)

12 Fire Energy
I like this build seeing as in my mind how quickly it may set up. Speed Volcanion Turbo. Also you don't have to put Skyfield since you can Ninja Boy all them Shaymins and Hoopa for Volcanion. This seems like something worthy of taking to worlds. Let me know how this goes please. Even though I am trying to go for post-rotation, I may just try a similiar build to this at my locals to enjoy Blacksmith in all it's glory for the rest of this month. On a side note, is the one escape rope your only means of retreat? I would say another Escape Rope or switches since you use Fighting Fury Belts. (If you can find the room)

WastedSkyPirate

I like this build seeing as in my mind how quickly it may set up. Speed Volcanion Turbo. Also you don't have to put Skyfield since you can Ninja Boy all them Shaymins and Hoopa for Volcanion. This seems like something worthy of taking to worlds. Let me know how this goes please. Even though I am trying to go for post-rotation, I may just try a similiar build to this at my locals to enjoy Blacksmith in all it's glory for the rest of this month. On a side note, is the one escape rope your only means of retreat? I would say another Escape Rope or switches since you use Fighting Fury Belts. (If you can find the room)

Agreed.

If we're playing Energy Reset and Battle Compressor, we have a bit more control over where Energy is at any one time. For that reason, less Energy is 'lost' where we can't access it. For that reason, maybe we can afford to;

-1 Fire Energy
+1 Switch

Frontier Brain David

Aspiring Trainer
Agreed.

If we're playing Energy Reset and Battle Compressor, we have a bit more control over where Energy is at any one time. For that reason, less Energy is 'lost' where we can't access it. For that reason, maybe we can afford to;

-1 Fire Energy
+1 Switch
I think other than maybe other minor tweeks here and there, should be ready to go. I can't find anything else to tweek but you should just test this and see how it goes. Either way, you can also just Ninja Boy out hoopa or shaymin if they get lysandre'd for normal volcanion, or for anything else you want in the active from the deck. So that's 3 ways of retreat. I'd say that's pretty good.

WastedSkyPirate

@Frontier Brain David

Thanks for your help!

Considering their anticipated presence at Worlds, I'm keen to see how Volcanion gets on against the decks below.

It should be good against:
  • Vespiquen / Vileplume
  • Trevenant
OK against:
  • Night March
  • Darkrai / Garbodor
Bad against:
  • Greninja BREAK
  • Waterbox

poke4trade

Raising Ash
The only change I would make is add in Torchic (AT). Torchic (AT) attacks twice.

Essentially, you blacksmith, energy reset, and professor letter. With three Valconic EX on bench that is 90 pts of damage on torchic first attack. And then another 90 pts for torchic second attack. That is a total of 180. I would use flare bonus because you draw a couple of cards on that turn. Possibly, another fire energy. But ya, I would test that card out in the deck. It would make Night March a lot more favorable because you attack twice.

http://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-tcg/pokemon-cards/xy-series/xy5/26/