Worst Way to Lose a Game

sillykyle

boop
iisnumber12 said:
Being late can't be a prize penalty. After the round starts, they can no longer win on time and if they show up 5 minutes after the round starts, it's a game loss.

Maybe it was for something else, idk. I just remember it was a prize penalty.

Vulpix Yolk

\ \ durant gang \ \
I had some pretty funny losses at my most recent States. In the second round I was paired up against Zekrom Eels, which is a pretty good match up for me. I started with a lone Voltorb, he Portraits me out of a good hand with my own N and into total junk with his Smeargle, then he ends up 10 short of the donk with Tyrouge. On my turn I draw, play a Juniper, and don't hit any basics, or Level Ball. I lost the next turn. To be honest, I would have rather been donked.

In my 6th round I was paired against Scizor Prime, which is funny cause I only play 3 basics energy. Turns out one of them was prized, and it takes me like 10 turns to hit one of my 3 Catcher with numerous hand refresh cards. A couple Catcher could have got me a kill or two. I didn't even discard any Catchers with Energymite to Junk Arm for. It stinks cause I built my deck with just enough basic energy to damage Scizor with Glinting Claw on Reshiram.

Akamu54

Bagon Farmer
I hate it when kids shuffle their deck into a "randomly" perfect first hand. Case in point, there is a kid at my league who uses the Giratina Darkrai Mewtwo LV X deck, and his first hand just so happened to be Two Darkrai and Two Drakrai LV X. First of all, this deck is out of format, and, second of all, why cheat with a deck which is already unbearable to play against? You just taint the Pokemon experience. TAINT!

DNA

Goodbye, everyone. I'll miss you all.
Advanced Member
Akamu54 said:
I hate it when kids shuffle their deck into a "randomly" perfect first hand. Case in point, there is a kid at my league who uses the Giratina Darkrai Mewtwo LV X deck, and his first hand just so happened to be Two Darkrai and Two Drakrai LV X. First of all, this deck is out of format, and, second of all, why cheat with a deck which is already unbearable to play against? You just taint the Pokemon experience. TAINT!
This actually happened once at a tournament I was staffing at. We noticed one particular child in Seniors do something like this 2 rounds in a row, so on the 3rd round, the judge shuffles his deck (via the 6-pile method). He lost the rest of his games that day, no big surprise.

I was told his face sunk when the other judge did the shuffle. I didn't see this as I was busy surveying the rest of the matches, but still, pretty funny :D

Brave Vesperia

Forum Smod
Forum Super Mod
Forum Mod
I was just playing a game on TCGO. ZekEels VS ZekEels. We both start Mewtwo. I go first and Collector for 2 Tynamo (40 HP) and another Mewtwo. My hand isn't that great but I can work with it. I attach a DCE to my Mewtwo, play PlusPower and X-Ball him for 90, he plays out his turn. I don't remember much of the rest but I do remember the end. It comes to a point where I'm at 5 prizes to his 1. I'm not entirely sure I'll be able to win, but I manage to take 4 more prizes. On his last turn he had Tyrogue active, Zekrom benched, and something else I don't remember benched. He Punches my active Zekrom with 2 Lightning Energy on it because on my turn before that I Outraged his Zekrom putting it in Bolt Strike KO range. His Tyrogue wakes up and I proceed to simply Outrage for the KO and game.

That's gotta be a pretty bad way to lose!

Red Striker

VGC Trainer
KOing a Reshirom (not EX) with Combee UD while Vespequen is on the bench. Best feeling ever. The best part? It was the last prize.

At States, I played against a Trollant deck. The first thing they did was Catcher up Eel. No problem, I figured I could Retreat in two turns, one if I managed to get a DCE. Nope. No DCE, and the opponent used a Crushing Hammer four times and landed heads on all of those. This, people, is why you run Vileplume in Eel decks.

Dork Void

#OCCUPYALLTHINGS
Red Striker said:
At States, I played against a Trollant deck. The first thing they did was Catcher up Eel. No problem, I figured I could Retreat in two turns, one if I managed to get a DCE. Nope. No DCE, and the opponent used a Crushing Hammer four times and landed heads on all of those. This, people, is why you run Vileplume in Eel decks.

No, that's why you play Switch. The worst way for me to lose a game would be to play amazingly, make perfect plays, and then the opponent just gets amazing luck and wins. Its an awful, frustrating feeling knowing that you did nothing wrong and by all means should have won, but didn't. What's even more annoying is when the other person gloats about it a bunch (although I think that makes any defeat pretty annoying).

dmaster

Aspiring Trainer
Elite Member
Advanced Member
Dark Void said:
The worst way for me to lose a game would be to play amazingly, make perfect plays, and then the opponent just gets amazing luck and wins. Its an awful, frustrating feeling knowing that you did nothing wrong and by all means should have won, but didn't.

Unfortunately, that's what happens in a luck based game.

The worst way for me to lose a game would be from a misplay. Misplays are the bane of my existence in this game, so I try to lessen the chances of making one by playtesting a deck and its matchups so I know them perfectly. I've gotten better with making less misplays recently, which I'm glad of. Sometimes you just can't do anything when your deck doesn't give you what you want when you need it and you proceed to lose, but that's just a part of the game and the blame isn't on the player.

dmaster out.

Red Striker

VGC Trainer
Dark Void said:
No, that's why you play Switch. The worst way for me to lose a game would be to play amazingly, make perfect plays, and then the opponent just gets amazing luck and wins. Its an awful, frustrating feeling knowing that you did nothing wrong and by all means should have won, but didn't. What's even more annoying is when the other person gloats about it a bunch (although I think that makes any defeat pretty annoying).

All of my Junk Arms and Switches were discarded.

sillykyle

boop
Just thought of one. Back when people used Redshark for online tournaments. Being a turn of two away from victory, and getting disconnected. >_<

Brave Vesperia

Forum Smod
Forum Super Mod
Forum Mod
I had a pretty bad loss yesterday on the TCGO, it was my ZekEels VS Durant. I have a crap hand and a Mewtwo start I have no choice but to stall with Mewtwo and Catcher while he Devours all my resources away. (Collector, Catcher, Junk Arm, ect) I don't remember anything else for a few turns until he suddenly drops a Mewtwo of his own with a DCE, retreats his Rotom, and X-Balls my Mewtwo for the win. Never in a million years did I think Durant would run Mewtwo. Though I have to say, it's not bad, being able to destroy your opponent's setup and sweep with Mewtwo.

DNA

Goodbye, everyone. I'll miss you all.
Advanced Member
The Aura Is With Me 8 said:
I had a pretty bad loss yesterday on the TCGO, it was my ZekEels VS Durant. I have a crap hand and a Mewtwo start I have no choice but to stall with Mewtwo and Catcher while he Devours all my resources away. (Collector, Catcher, Junk Arm, ect) I don't remember anything else for a few turns until he suddenly drops a Mewtwo of his own with a DCE, retreats his Rotom, and X-Balls my Mewtwo for the win. Never in a million years did I think Durant would run Mewtwo. Though I have to say, it's not bad, being able to destroy your opponent's setup and sweep with Mewtwo.

Durant+Mewtwo topcutted in the Masters Division in at least 3 different States tourneys (my own home state of California was one of them). If you didn't expect it I think you may be late to the party.
But live and learn, right?

greenscene

Formerly known as Stratus
<- Gets friends to play a deck of 39 energy and one basic Pokemon with only 50HP.

<-Plays against them with Ferroseed(Self Destruct) and 39 energy

So, eventually, after the judge determined that the game couldn't go anywhere else but a tie, we had to play rock, paper, scissors for the win.

I ended up signing that exact Ferroseed.
/likeaboss

Blui

lv85 paladin
This happened to me at league:
I start with Cleffa no supporters and my opponent starts with a lone Mewtwo, I Eeek, get nothing good, I wake up, he drops a DCE amd donks me for the game, I know that happens alot but I need to put out there. Sorry if that method has been posted before.
Also, On the, I dunno, 'bout the 10th turn against Zekeels me (VVV) and my opponent were 4(him) to 5(me), he keeps using Juniper to get a Catcher to kill my only Oddish (that wasn't prized), he finds out they're all prized and scoops because he only has about 10 cards left. XP. Don't discard your deck unless ypur absolutley certain.