Worlds 2015 Information Now Officially Released [11/25]

Me: C'mon, WPM! Please just find some kind of new Pokemon news to post! I can't take it anymore!

WPM: More Championship news!

Me: ... what, u serious?

Still waiting for Gaia Volcano and Tidal Storm to release, so we can get some scans of those cards.

So if I understand this correctly, invitations are based on championship points compared to other players rather than having a set amount of points required, right? If so, I'm not sure how I feel about this. part of me likes it and part of me doesn't because that would mean I would have to keep up with some of the most dedicated players which costs money that I don't have.

Also, I find it funny that we now know where Worlds is and how it will run but we still don't know the format.

(I'm talking about VGC btw)

All players with Friday invitations will play Swiss rounds. Players with 2 or fewer losses will advance to Day Two Saturday.

I don't see how that can go wrong. At all. It's a perfect system.

As a fairly new, slightly competitive TCG player, what are ways to obtain championship points? I know of league challenges and cities, etc. but are there any other events? Does normal league play get you any?

Regionals, nationals, etc XD
Regionals is actually not too hard, i made it to 11th place in Quebec Regionals with a White Kyurem (PLS) deck XD

PsychedelicBreakfast said:
As a fairly new, slightly competitive TCG player, what are ways to obtain championship points? I know of league challenges and cities, etc. but are there any other events? Does normal league play get you any?

Depending on TCG and VGC events you'll have either Premier Challenges or Cities, then as time progresses you'll have State and Regional Championships. Towards the end of the season you'll have 1 last shot at the annual National Championships (which is being held in Indiana) before the grand stage, which you obviously know of from reading this thread.

The PC, Cities, and other small events should be somewhat local for you, each awards a decent amount of CP for top cutting and winning all together, States and Regionals are a little more centered but several are held and award more CP than everything excluding Nationals and Worlds.

Normal league play does NOT award CP, it does however award Play! Points. They are needed to play at Nationals.

Momaster12 said:
So if I understand this correctly, invitations are based on championship points compared to other players rather than having a set amount of points required, right? If so, I'm not sure how I feel about this. part of me likes it and part of me doesn't because that would mean I would have to keep up with some of the most dedicated players which costs money that I don't have.

Also, I find it funny that we now know where Worlds is and how it will run but we still don't know the format.

(I'm talking about VGC btw)

Yes, it's a set amount of top players, not points. Top 40 in US/Canada get invites. Top 8 get a BYE from Friday. Each region around the world has a number. Expect several hundred players to be playing this time around, it's all about stiffer competition. There is also NO LCQ.

PsychedelicBreakfast said:

Regionals in February, States and some more Regionals in Spring, and then Nationals in Summer. Also confirming what Goodra said about no CP for League.

Vom said:
Regionals is actually not too hard, i made it to 11th place in Quebec Regionals with a White Kyurem (PLS) deck XD

But that's Quebec. Not the be racist, but the American Regionals are all (or mostly all) very difficult in the Masters Division.

Vom said:

But that's Quebec. Not the be racist, but the American Regionals are all (or mostly all) very difficult in the Masters Division.

I like to assume Florida and New York are the hardest places to play in terms of how skilled the players are overall. In both TCG and VGC for America. I can't speak for any places over seas.

I'm assuming that there will be some AWESOME side events that will be announced. Otherwise, the only reason for non-competitors to show up is 1) for the heck of it, which would be people limited to the New England area, or 2) family of those participating. At least before, people could show up and at least brag they participated in LCQ; if you managed to get through it, you were in, and if not, you tried.

Back