Creez

Aspiring Trainer
Simple question, me and my mate are just wondering
maybe we don't read the sentence correctly
but wobuffet ability is:

XY4_EN_36.png

and golbat /crobat is:

XY4_EN_32.png

why does it work wobuffet state , pokemon in play and even hand. and as far as i know you play golbat from
you hand ,even that he is in play right after.

is there a bypass rule? or something we are missing completly

thanks in advance

Ps: dunno how to link image <.<

you probably know the golbat ability and wobuffet,

It's hard to read your post, but I believe you are asking why Bide Barricade specifies Pokemon in your hand since you play Golbat from the hand to use its Ability and it is now in play. While Golbat works that way, that doesn't necessarily have to be the case. IIRC, there have been Abilities that activate in the hand, but the Pokemon isn't then put into play. The Ability may just require you to only reveal the Pokemon from your hand or maybe even discard it from your hand. The wording covers anything that might be printed in the future.

yes i was talking about the bide barricade :) and the golbat/crobat with the ability that does damage to a Pokemon (20 or 30).

so then i was right. it's just a bypass rule (most likely) <.<
so how can tell my friend a good example to teach them how it work clearly?

thanks (ps: IIRC?)

BW7_EN_126.png

Audino is an example of an Ability that is activated in the hand and not when it is put into play. You reveal it to your opponent, heal the 10 damage and the Special Condition, and then it goes to the discard pile.

(IIRC = If I recall correctly)

thanks, i just looked up on google (the card) and i apologize we are blind... xD .....Except for psychic pokemon ahah
sorry again XD

Oh so that's what you were asking about... Yeah, it doesn't shut off Psychic Pokemon's Abilities. So that's Golbat, Crobat, Unown, Mr. Mine, etc.

Sorry, I didn't understand what was being asked.

Why would it not shut off Psychic, aka Golbat's, ability? It states that it blocks abilities and doesn't have specific terminology excluding Psychic abilities. Is it like that for all types of Pokémon with their energy type? Just looking for clarification, thank you.

Why would it not shut off Psychic, aka Golbat's, ability? It states that it blocks abilities and doesn't have specific terminology excluding Psychic abilities. Is it like that for all types of Pokémon with their energy type? Just looking for clarification, thank you.

But it does though. It literally says "(except for Psychic Pokémon)" so it doesn't shut off any Abilities on Psychic Pokémon.

Are you asking why Psychic Pokemon's Abilities are not blocked? The simple answer is that's just the way the card was designed by its creators. This is purely my speculation, but it may also serve to avoid conflict with Garbodor DRX / LTR whose Ability Garbotoxin blocks all other Abilities and barring that is worded the same as Bide Barricade, even saying "except for Garbotoxin." At the time Wobbuffet was printed, Garbodor was still legal in Standard, and they are both playable in Expanded, so this creates a hierarchy rather than a conflict between the two cards with Garbodor taking priority. Again this is just speculation, though Pokemon is usually pretty careful with discrepencies between currently legal cards, so it may well have been intentional.

Personally, I think the main reason it excludes Psychic Pokemon is because it was designed to work with Bats. Wobbuffet's attack being based off additional damage, its ability making allowances for the sneaky/surprise bite, and the fact that they are both from the same set makes me think it's one of TPCi's "premade" strategies like Magmortar/Electivire, Night March, or Politoed.

Back