• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Wobbly Volcano (Primal Groudon EX / Wobbuffet)

TheStrictNein

Has tried turning it off and on again
Pokemon (10):
  • 3 - 3 Primal Groudon EX
  • 4 Wobbuffet FFI
Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums (37):
  • 2 Korrina
  • 2 Lysandre
  • 1 Lysandre's Trump Card
  • 1 N
  • 4 Professor Sycamore
  • 3 Battle Compressor
  • 4 Mega Turbo
  • 3 Robo Substitute
  • 2 Switch
  • 1 Scramble Switch
  • 2 Ultra Ball
  • 3 VS Seeker
  • 4 Scorched Earth
  • 2 Fighting Stadium
  • 3 Groudon Spirit Link
Energy (13):
  • 4 Strong Energy
  • 9 Fighting Energy
Strategy:

This deck idea has been floating about the community for a while now so I was hoping we could come together a bit and make it a thing. With the advent of Mega Turbo, if you try to run a deck with both Landorus FFI and Mega Turbo, you'll mostly find yourself only being able to attach one energy a turn, or Landorus will be sitting there not doing much at all. With the power of super speedy decks such as Raymin on the horizon, what better lead Pokemon than Wobbuffet! Wobbuffet is about as bulky as Landorus, while shutting down Shaymin namely while not significantly slowing down energy acceleration. Raymin decks will be loathe to put down Shaymin cards before removing all Wobblys on your side, making them take a while to find the Benched Pokemon needed to power up Rayquaza, and potentially prevent Turn 1 MRays due to slowing down the deck.

Now, there are several concerns with my deck list
  • I'm not sure about Robo Sub. While it does allow for some stalling if required, MRay would love nothing more than being able to Lysandre it out and shut off Bide Barricade. Obviously, it's still possible if I end up with Groudon on the bench before the Mega for Raymin to either just play a Lysandre or Battle Compressor and VS Seeker a Lysandre, but it'll definitely help.
  • I'm not sure about ditching Korrina completely in favour of another couple of Ultra Balls.
Any other advice people can offer? I feel this is definitely the next stage of PGroudon decks, but I'd still like to see Lando find its way back in if possible.

I think it is a good build, but it's focused only as a counter against Raymin, what about the other decks in the metagame? let's say a Primal Kyogre would have easy time beating you, because it is fast and it doesn't rely on abilities. But maybe I'm wrong and you can kick his ass too :p

I run a similar deck with Landorus and Hawlucha, I would suggest to add Silent Lab in order to deal with Raymin, Aegislash and Safeguards pokemon, and 1 Teammates which may be helpful for a comeback. I would stick with the korrina as well.

I think it is a good build, but it's focused only as a counter against Raymin, what about the other decks in the metagame? let's say a Primal Kyogre would have easy time beating you, because it is fast and it doesn't rely on abilities. But maybe I'm wrong and you can kick his ass too :p

I run a similar deck with Landorus and Hawlucha, I would suggest to add Silent Lab in order to deal with Raymin, Aegislash and Safeguards pokemon, and 1 Teammates which may be helpful for a comeback. I would stick with the korrina as well.
I would rather beat RayMin than to lose to Groudon's rival. Kyogre isnt that good anyways it stands a lesser chance of beating RayMin than Groudon does.

But to reply to your post, assuming a Kyogre player has 2 Mega Turbo and 2 water energies in hand. Sure he/she can power up the legendary Pokemon and OHKO a Wobbuffett but I'm sure the Groudon player can send out another Wobbufett.. Remember Lysandre doesnt work on Primal Groudon and Escape Rope is risky because, again, the groudon player can send out another Wobbuffett. From then on, Primal Groudon will get rid of Rough Seas and start steamrolling.

Last edited:
I would rather beat RayMin than to lose to Groudon's rival. Kyogre isnt that good anyways it stands a lesser chance of beating RayMin than Groudon does.

But to reply to your post, assuming a Kyogre player has 2 Mega Turbo and 2 water energies in hand. Sure he/she can power up the legendary Pokemon and OHKO a Wobbuffett but I'm sure the Groudon player can send out another Wobbufett.. Remember Lysandre doesnt work on Primal Groudon and Escape Rope is risky because, again, the groudon player can send out another Wobbuffett. From then on, Primal Groudon will get rid of Rough Seas and start streamrolling.

Yep, I agree with everything you said. Maybe I used a bad example to illustrate my point (Primal Kyogre was the first thing that came into my mind xD)

But lets say another matchup that doesn't rely on abilities like Toad, Gengar EX, Donphan, etc. My point is to have a balance in order to have an answer for most decks in the metagame rather than focusing to beat only one kind of matchup:)

Yep, I agree with everything you said. Maybe I used a bad example to illustrate my point (Primal Kyogre was the first thing that came into my mind xD)

But lets say another matchup that doesn't rely on abilities like Toad, Gengar EX, Donphan, etc. My point is to have a balance in order to have an answer for most decks in the metagame rather than focusing to beat only one kind of matchup:)
The Toad matchup isn't that difficult because even with Bats, the damage output isn't overwhelming and the Groudon player can deal with it. In theory, under Item lock, it'll probably take 4 turns to power up Groudon/Primal Groudon. Wobbuffet can survive at least 2 hits and with Virbank probably at least 1. That's 3 prizes for the opponent. But from then on, once Primal Groudon comes out, he'll start steamrolling and crush all the Toads/Whatever else the opponent runs.

Matchups this deck faces are mixed but definitely can be up with the Tier 1 decks I'm sure, if not Tier 2 and that'll make it a successful deck because it can handle many things in the meta.

The Toad matchup isn't that difficult because even with Bats, the damage output isn't overwhelming and the Groudon player can deal with it. In theory, under Item lock, it'll probably take 4 turns to power up Groudon/Primal Groudon. Wobbuffet can survive at least 2 hits and with Virbank probably at least 1. That's 3 prizes for the opponent. But from then on, once Primal Groudon comes out, he'll start steamrolling and crush all the Toads/Whatever else the opponent runs.

Matchups this deck faces are mixed but definitely can be up with the Tier 1 decks I'm sure, if not Tier 2 and that'll make it a successful deck because it can handle many things in the meta.
I would only like to point out that Wobb would prevent the Bats from doing damage via evolutionary abilities.

I just want to say i really like this deck, idea, and iv'e seen it work with Masquerain, to remove your spirit links once you evolve, but with that being rotated, Grodon can still hold its own, doing 200 damage a turn, after 4 turns.
I would probably remove trump card (since it's going to be banned now anyways) and maybe the robo subs, for a couple of Revives, to essentially have 6 wobbuffet in your deck.
A single copy of Maxies hidden ball trick can also be a surprise, and I think was used in the article for primal Groudon, on the main page, though the deck list in that article, had no basic Groudon EX and had only 4 Wobbuffet, and like 3 Primal Groudon ex, as the only Pokemon in the deck. With only 4 basic Pokemon in the deck, you'll end up mulliganing a lot of times, giving your opponent more cards, unless you play a red card or something on your first turn, to stop this. I think I would prefer to play basic Groudon EX, since it increases the odds of me having a basic in my opening hand, though on the other deck, your guaranteed a Wobbuffet start every time.
Also with trump card banned, you might want to use Sacred ash, since it's the only card that puts Pokemon back into the deck (unless you would rather have revive)

Back