Will Zekeels see a decrease in viability once the BW-on format is in play?

Do you see Zekeel's still having play in the BW-on format? (Please also explain why)

• Yes

Votes: 43 70.5%
  • No

Votes: 18 29.5%

• Total voters
Well it is going to be less play but it will be a great deck still. The loss of junk arm dual ball PONT smeargle and shaymin affect every deck. But garchomp/altaria and hydreigon/darkrai are better. Most people would think that running rayquaza is good but garchomp/altaria and hydreigon/darkrai will get it down. I think is going to be tier 1.5

Garchomp has 1 attacker (Garchomp). Hydreigon has 3 attackers (Darkrai, Mewtwo and Shaymin). ZekEels has SEVEN attackers (Zekrom, Zekrom EX, Raikou, Thundurus, Mewtwo, Tornadus EX, Zebstrika)

The versatility of ZekEels is what will keep it alive. Whereas the other 2 decks have a cut and dry straightforward strategy, ZekEels can diversify and take advantage of different situations.

RogueListers said:
Garchomp has 1 attacker (Garchomp). Hydreigon has 3 attackers (Darkrai, Mewtwo and Shaymin). ZekEels has SEVEN attackers (Zekrom, Zekrom EX, Raikou, Thundurus, Mewtwo, Tornadus EX, Zebstrika)
I have never seen zebstrika in a ZekEels deck.

yes and no

eels will still be played, zekrom won't so much

I expect most current ZekEels decks will just 'evolve' into RayEels once dragon exalted comes out.

Zekrom is one of the best cards in the format simply because it deals massive damage and only gives up a single prize. There is no way it will be replaced by an EX that gets one shot by Garchomp/Hydreigon.

Rayeels is forced to run Prism/Fire, which forces you to either exclude or reduce the amount of DCE in your deck, which hurts a lot more than you may think. Catcher on an Eelektrik will be deadly when Switch isn't readily available with your Junk Arms.

i agree with serperior and nigel, sure the deck will lose junk arm,but we have ultra ball and max potion too.
Raikou EX DE will be played more as its second attack discards lightning energy. also Rayquaza EX DRX could work in the deck if you ran 1 copy.

current deck
raikou/zekrom/eels

RogueListers said:

The versatility of ZekEels is what will keep it alive. Whereas the other 2 decks have a cut and dry straightforward strategy, ZekEels can diversify and take advantage of different situations.

What about Sigilyph? And don't forget that Hydreigon is an attacker too and is very good against Mewtwo and Zekrom.140 to Mewtwo then next turn Catcher on Eel, KO it with Darkrai and KO the Mewtwo with the snipe. Hydreigon also OHKOs an Eviolited Zekrom after a Bolt Strike which otherwise would be very hard to KO. The only problem I see is Raikou, but even then, you can force situations where your opponent needs to choose to Max Potion the Raikou or the Eelektrik.

What keeps Eels alive is the fact that you can no longer use Terrakion in any deck, thus being able to use Raikou EX at it's full potential, and the fact that it doesn't lose the Zekrom + Eviolite combo. Also, since it can use Mewtwo so well, it's very good.

IMO, BDIFs are Darkrai/Hydreigon and Zekrom/Raikou/Mewtwo/Eels. I just can't see Garchomp/Altaria being better than these decks.

Eelektrik Variants won 2 of 4 Japan's World Qualifier,Why do you guys think Gartaria and Hydreigon/Darkrai will be better? In the last 2 Japan's World Qualifier Half of the Top16 decks were Eelektrik Variants,there were a lot of Darkrai/Hydre but they didn't do well and Garchomp/Altaria didn't even make any Top16.
So I think ZekEels will probably be slightly better than those two decks but not BDIF since Terrakion EX/Mewtwo EX will probably be Tier 1 too and outclasses it.I think Garchomp/Altaria is too much overhyped, yeah it will be a really fast,great and Tier 1 deck but it's ouclassed by a good RayEels deck since Little Quaza (I think you should run 4) donks Swablus and Gibles.
PS:Sorry for my bad english

RogueListers said:

Zekeels Attackers
Zekrom
Zekrom EX
No Zebstrika
Maybe Thundurus
Any deck can run Nado and Mewtwo EX, but they're not worth it, even in Zekeels
Raikou

Coutihno said:
In the last 2 Japan's World Qualifier Half of the Top16 decks were Eelektrik Variants,there were a lot of Darkrai/Hydre but they didn't do well and Garchomp/Altaria didn't even make any Top16.

In the reference Nigel posted, that was 4/16 Zeel and 2/16 Garchomp with Garchomp taking 2nd. And Darkrai won.

Mora said:
In the reference Nigel posted, that was 4/16 Zeel and 2/16 Garchomp with Garchomp taking 2nd. And Darkrai won.
That was the first of four Japn's World Qualifier and I clearly said the last two, you can check this here on Pokegym

Thunderus just got good again imo. Everything is slower and there are a lot more setup decks. That T1 charge puts so much pressure on your opponent and 80 knocks out a lot of important cards: gibble, gabite, tynamo, altaria, deino, gothita, and other potential threats. Not to mention that putting energy on your board/in your discard pile is mad synergistic.

Just to clarify how Japans world qualifiers worked this year. There were four qualifiers held in Sendai, Yokohama, Nagoya, and Osaka.

19 eel decks made top cut in the B league (equivalent to our masters)
10 hydreigon/darkrai ex decks made top cut in B league
9 Mewtwo EX/Terrakion (NV or EX) variants
4 Garchomp/Altaria decks made top cut in B league

so yes looking at how the Japan Meta played out in their world qualifiers eel variants seem to be on top.

RobertBenjamin said:
Just to clarify how Japans world qualifiers worked this year. There were four qualifiers held in Sendai, Yokohama, Nagoya, and Osaka.

19 eel decks made top cut in the B league (equivalent to our masters)
10 hydreigon/darkrai ex decks made top cut in B league
9 Mewtwo EX/Terrakion (NV or EX) variants
4 Garchomp/Altaria decks made top cut in B league

so yes looking at how the Japan Meta played out in their world qualifiers eel variants seem to be on top.

I think that means that Eel is the most played deck and not the best deck. Many people may not even know how to run Darkrai/Hydreigon, Garchomp/Altaria, Mewtwo-EX/Terrakion properly because they had Eels last format too and many people like to stick with their guns.

Back