Discussion Will Staples Like Shaymin-EX and VS Seeker Be Reprinted?

gcardoso

Dreamer Player
Will we see Shaymin EX or VS Seeker or other "must have on deck" cards reprinted on future ? i mean buying them now knowing they will be off the game in some time kinda hurts cause they are expensive ( mainly talking about shaymin ex here )

TheGuardian118

Aspiring Trainer
Nobody knows yet. At this moment, nothing has been announced so we are looking at roughly 4-6 months without reprints of those two specifically. Something could be announced next time there's an announcement and we'll get them in next summer's set.

RiverShock

Aspiring Trainer
There is no way in hell Shaymin-EX gets a reprint with a new set symbol. It's the one card that needs to rotate out the most. (Incidentally, they would have done that here by now if they had wanted to. They skipped one reprint set in Japan already, and could easily have made it a tin promo if they had wanted to.) Maybe we'll get a Battle Arena deck with it next year, but that'd be mostly irrelevant since it'd have likely rotated by then. VS Seeker... That comes down to if they think it hurts the format enough to not bring back IMO. Whether VS Seeker is in format or not changes how decks are built completely. You have less room for tech supporters (the Hex Maniacs and Rangers of the world) since you can't reuse them and need more draw supporters since they're less recurrable. That in itself would slow the format down further, which is probably what they're wanting.

Realistically, I don't think either should come back for a while. But maybe Seeker will, and it wouldn't exactly destroy the world. Shaymin needs to stay gone, though. (Maybe being reprinted in a Battle Arena deck or something like the Articuno/Zapdos/Moltres decks or Dragonite/Kangaskhan/etc. boxes would be a good thing, but eh. Anything that would keep it in format, however, would be an outright mistake.)

Mr. Rhyperior

The Drill Pokemon. An evolve form of Rhydon.
If we don't have a reprint of Shaymin-EX and VS Seeker next rotation. We still have Oranguru and Random Receiver to use for

Pikachu6319

Scooby
Just my opinion; Shaymin EX is will be gone next rotation. And it couldn't happen soon enough.

VS Seeker might be reprinted before that point though, or perhaps something like that. Remember that the only difference between Professor Sycamore and Professor Juniper is the name.

treyh37

Watcher of Thorns
because of how late this best of XY set (and whatever form it takes outside japan) is its very doubtful we will get it except the new cards (or needed to go with cards like Camerupt EX) and those will likely be promos.

as others have said shaymin shouldn't get a reprint unless its as part of the battle arena type decks and keeps it set symbol.

vs seeker has been reprinted 4 times (one of which is a secret rare) it will be back but not necessarily right away. first 3 times were about 5 years apart so if it follows that we could see it in 2019 or they could decide they like it and keep reprinting it like poke catcher and crushing hammer.

crystal_pidgeot

Bird Trainer *Vaporeon on PokeGym*
I seriously hope they don't. Shaymin EX is what is wrong with the game and it makes bad card design too good. VS Seeker I don't mind being around but if they are going to print overpowered supporters again, then that care can go away too.

I just want to see something about the game change and it hasn't in years.

gumball51321

*thumbs up*
Let's brainstorm here. Battle arena deck typically feature a popular, high HP Pokemon EX, right? It also seems like they're cycling through the most popular cards of the BW era. So with what they've already used, what else is left? Next Destinies was the first set with EXs, and Dark Explorers being the next. Including the Keldeo vs Rayquaza and legendary birds, they've cleared every set that has EXs except for Plasma Freeze, Plasma Blast, and finally Legendary Treasures. Because Legendary Treasures was basically just the same thing these were, but a set, it's enough to assume we won't get any arena decks from that. So we're left with Plasma Freeze and Blast. Using my same philosophy as earlier, we can assume something like Genesect vs Deoxys, or some other popular card. And IF this carries over to the XY sets, they'll, I can gaurantee, do the exact same thing. Therefore, the conclusion being, no Shaymin EX print. Period.

VS Seeker: like treyh37 said, we've already gotten 4 prints of it, and because they're like the new Ultra Ball, I think it's safe to say they'll reprint it. I thought I'd also like to point out a theory that could be relevant to this. Other than tools, haven't you noticed just about every secret rare item gets reprinted? They even reprinted Random Receiver, a feature that wasn't at all in the 6th gen. So I think it's safe to say, we'll get it back. It might be the case with Enhanced Hammer from PHF all over again. We really need it, it gets rotated, a big tournament happens, then it gets reprinted in the November set. Case and point, VS Seeker most likely comes back, and Shaymin stays gone for good. At least the full arts are worth something in expanded.

crystal_pidgeot

Let's brainstorm here. Battle arena deck typically feature a popular, high HP Pokemon EX, right? It also seems like they're cycling through the most popular cards of the BW era. So with what they've already used, what else is left? Next Destinies was the first set with EXs, and Dark Explorers being the next. Including the Keldeo vs Rayquaza and legendary birds, they've cleared every set that has EXs except for Plasma Freeze, Plasma Blast, and finally Legendary Treasures. Because Legendary Treasures was basically just the same thing these were, but a set, it's enough to assume we won't get any arena decks from that. So we're left with Plasma Freeze and Blast. Using my same philosophy as earlier, we can assume something like Genesect vs Deoxys, or some other popular card. And IF this carries over to the XY sets, they'll, I can gaurantee, do the exact same thing. Therefore, the conclusion being, no Shaymin EX print. Period.

VS Seeker: like treyh37 said, we've already gotten 4 prints of it, and because they're like the new Ultra Ball, I think it's safe to say they'll reprint it. I thought I'd also like to point out a theory that could be relevant to this. Other than tools, haven't you noticed just about every secret rare item gets reprinted? They even reprinted Random Receiver, a feature that wasn't at all in the 6th gen. So I think it's safe to say, we'll get it back. It might be the case with Enhanced Hammer from PHF all over again. We really need it, it gets rotated, a big tournament happens, then it gets reprinted in the November set. Case and point, VS Seeker most likely comes back, and Shaymin stays gone for good. At least the full arts are worth something in expanded.

That is true but look at what Yugioh did. They printed something called the Premium Gold series, where they make a set with 5 card packs that contains the games most popular cards, be it common, uncommon or some kind of rare as a gold card. With Pokemon, they just print the most popular trainer cards as full art or gold secret rares.

The Binder Guy

Aspiring Trainer
I'd be fine with it if they follow the same style as the Mewtwo/Gengar/Charizard/Kangaskhan Boxes and Battle Arena Decks, just make sure that they're exact same card right down to the set symbol and number.

But if they're XY Promos or, worse yet, SM Promos that's where I'd have to draw the line.

Pikachu6319

Scooby
I'd be fine with it if they follow the same style as the Mewtwo/Gengar/Charizard/Kangaskhan Boxes and Battle Arena Decks, just make sure that they're exact same card right down to the set symbol and number.

For some, the idea of reprinting them like this would defeat the purpose of reprinting them. They want them reprinted so that they can continue to use them in their current standard decks. That's why many people are sure or hope that Shaymin EX won't be reprinted once Roaring Skies leaves rotation presumably next year.

Side note, pretty sure Kingdra joins that box list. Seems pointless to me even though I wish I could get the jumbos. I just don't want to get the boxes solely for the jumbos.

Matthew the Fairy Lover

The Lover of everything Fairy
I don't want Shaymin EX to get reprinted. Cards like Shaymin EX should be reprinted for one format in Standard and that's it. The card is too good to not bring back and it's not fair for budget players like myself when such a versatile card that speeds up pretty much every deck under the sun... and moon (haha Gen 7 joke) is so expensive. If a card as good as Shaymin-EX would be made again in the future (...which I hope doesn't happen) then the card should at least be made easily available for budget players so more people can use the card, in some kind of special edition like what @crystal_pidgeot said about making a gold species or a mini-set of the sort where the more expensive cards can be obtained for a less price for budget players. You would not believe how soul crushing it is when you see your opponent play 1 or 2 Shaymin-EX in a turn when you can't afford the card.

Pikachu6319

Scooby
I don't want Shaymin EX to get reprinted. Cards like Shaymin EX should be reprinted for one format in Standard and that's it. The card is too good to not bring back and it's not fair for budget players like myself when such a versatile card that speeds up pretty much every deck under the sun... and moon (haha Gen 7 joke) is so expensive. If a card as good as Shaymin-EX would be made again in the future (...which I hope doesn't happen) then the card should at least be made easily available for budget players so more people can use the card, in some kind of special edition like what @crystal_pidgeot said about making a gold species or a mini-set of the sort where the more expensive cards can be obtained for a less price for budget players. You would not believe how soul crushing it is when you see your opponent play 1 or 2 Shaymin-EX in a turn when you can't afford the card.

Or more, some people own play sets. I own two of them and they have to shifted between decks on the rare occasion I play and shared within my collection. Good thing they're sleeved. I kind of hope not to see a standard version like Shaymin EX again.

crystal_pidgeot

To be honest, this is the second time the game has seen the Ability Setup and in its first incarnation, it was much more powerful. It was on a card rare card and let you draw until you had 7 cards in your hand. It was pretty much a staple back then but they reprinted it as a league promo. I'm sure the game will see a similar effect again but for the sake of the game being diverse, I hope its no time soon.

Asmer

Keep the High Tide on the Flipside
Considering what Oranguru SM1 does, I have a feeling we will not be seeing a Shaymin-EX for the format after this. Also, I would like to point out that you can literally nab 95% of every staple you would need for Standard at a minimum (and Expanded arguably) with two of the Keldeo vs Rayquaza decks (which is around 60-65 in total). This shows one of two things:

1. They still care enough about the game to Reprint Staples and, more importantly, solid numbers for said Staples.
2. They are definitely interested in keeping the idea of Expanded and, to an extent, Legacy for PTCGO alive. This is good for versatility and, quite frankly, allows them to make more off of Expanded as a general basis (which still benefits us as consumers unless you simply hate the format, in which case, I apologize).

I will say that I have confidence they will continue to do this as the New Year progresses and I'm sure they will keep watch of what is going on with the Meta in the mean time. Even if they don't push forward Meta Decks (because in fariness, Rayquaza-EX is not a Meta Deck in any regard anymore), they will still push forward good decks that have good strategies and are the most objective to card choices, meaning we will have Staples produced for us.

That is a good sign.

-Asmer