Question Will Pokémon Sun / Moon be the Last on 3DS?

gcardoso

Dreamer Player
I was thinking since nintendo is releasing nintendo switch , does that mean this were the last pokemon games we see on 3Ds / 2DS? I really hope not but then again....

share your thoughts !

I think it's quite clear that there will be another set of games to finish off the 3DS. Just look at how late on the DS BW2 still came out for example, but also I think it would be a shame not to release another game with the style Sun&Moon just established (which I assume everyone else agrees is vastly superior to gen6), as well as that being easier than reinventing a main game on a new hardware from scratch again. Although I'm sure they're already working hard on the base for a Switch-game, I'm even more confident that they're also working on a 3DS game, whether it'll be some form of Sinnoh-return, a sister-region to Alola, or yet another return to Kanto (ugh).

Yeah, basically Black and White 2 are the main thing that prevents me from being sure the next games are going to be on the new console. They released 9 games on the last console (DS), and for the 3DS they have released 6 games so far..So that's another thing to consider.

I think at least one more series of games will come out on the 3ds first. When Pokemon Battle Revolution came out for the wii, it wasn't what was used at official events.

Nintendo confirmed already that the Nintendo Switch would NOT be replace the 3DS, so I don't think Sun and Moon will be the last on the 3DS somehow.

Nintendo confirmed already that the Nintendo Switch would NOT be replace the 3DS, so I don't think Sun and Moon will be the last on the 3DS somehow.

Don't read too much into statements like that, they're PR. Businesses make statements like that to try and upset the least amount of people possible, they're not outright saying 3DS is dead because they don't want 3DS owners to stop supporting it and 3DS sales to tank. It's possible the 3DS will continue for another year, but considering that the Switch can fill the role of both a console and a handheld, most likely the 3DS doesn't have much of a future and Nintendo's handheld market will be on Switch in the next year or two.

I think we're going to see another spin-off game; maybe something like a 4th Pokemon Ranger. Or maybe a Sinnoh remake.

I don't think this is the end for the 3DS right now.

I don't think they will switch over the Nintendo Switch that fast, they indeed said the Switch isn't a replacement, But I can also see in the next few years they are going on the Switch can its more powerfull..
also the Switch more expensive, even I can't afford is due school, so I am not hoping they are going to release a game like Sun and Moon on this year, I preffer to wait 1-2 years when they are going to switch to the Nintendo Switch..

So I think indeed it isn't they end yet for the 3DS and will least for another 1-(2) years

Let's hope not. Not everyone can immediately buy a Switch, it would be stupid to change this soon. How many games have really released for 3ds? That said, Sun and Moon were disappointing with no 3D effects whatsoever... I did hear rumors about a Pokemon Stars for Nintendo Switch. But I sincerely hope they won't leave 3ds this quickly with Pokemon. I can get a Switch before Stars is said to release, but that isn't the same for everyone. (Plus I am not even sure I want the Switch. I prefer handhelds and hearing the handheld style might only have battery power for 3 hours before it has to be put back in the console to charge is putting me off.) So naturally I would prefer they stick to 3ds for a while to come! (And still holding a torch for a 3d version of Gold and Silver :p )

Probably it only makes since for Nintendo to put the next game on Switch and the 3ds has been out for a lot of years.

Let's hope not. Not everyone can immediately buy a Switch, it would be stupid to change this soon. How many games have really released for 3ds? That said, Sun and Moon were disappointing with no 3D effects whatsoever... I did hear rumors about a Pokemon Stars for Nintendo Switch. But I sincerely hope they won't leave 3ds this quickly with Pokemon. I can get a Switch before Stars is said to release, but that isn't the same for everyone. (Plus I am not even sure I want the Switch. I prefer handhelds and hearing the handheld style might only have battery power for 3 hours before it has to be put back in the console to charge is putting me off.) So naturally I would prefer they stick to 3ds for a while to come! (And still holding a torch for a 3d version of Gold and Silver :p )

They wouldn't be releasing the Pokemon games on the switch "immediately." The past 3 main games have been released in the fall, giving people who want it months to save up for a switch. And if its not the fall, then it's the spring giving people even more time to save up. Also they announce their Pokemon games 6 months or more ahead of time, so you're not blind sided when it comes to that. There are also periods of 1.5 to 2 years between pokemon games every now and then. So even if the next game was on the switch it wouldn't be "too soon."
And I think Sun and Moon will be the last games on the 3DS only because the 3DS could barely handle SM during certain parts. If there was a double battle or more I could easily tell it lagged. The software is getting to be too much for the hardware. Now maybe they will make a new handheld system that can handle the new updated games, and maybe it will be called a 3DS too, but I'm pretty sure they have another handheld thing in the works. The 3DS has been out for awhile, over 6 years. The way I see it is, you'll have to buy a new system regardless. Whether thats the new handheld or the switch.
And I feel since the switch uses cartridges now, they'll probably make an adapter that you can plug in so you can play games made for the handheld on the switch. Kinda like the Nintendo 64 had an adapter to play the old gameboy games like GSC. And if it is like that you would be able to play older DS games such as DPPt, HGSS, BW, B2W2, etc.

Really? I have no problems whatsoever when it comes to online play. You sure it isn't your internet? Because I have glassfiber with a constant speed flow and I never had lag. Which makes sense because the system was made to handle 3D games and Sun and Moon has zero 3D features... If that Switch to last as long as my 3DS does and is chargeable just like the handheld, I might buy it sooner. If not I will buy a iPad first. (I need a new one, but atm it is between that iPad and a Switch.)

Really? I have no problems whatsoever when it comes to online play. You sure it isn't your internet? Because I have glassfiber with a constant speed flow and I never had lag. Which makes sense because the system was made to handle 3D games and Sun and Moon has zero 3D features... If that Switch to last as long as my 3DS does and is chargeable just like the handheld, I might buy it sooner. If not I will buy a iPad first. (I need a new one, but atm it is between that iPad and a Switch.)

Yeah, and its not just me. I have read dozens of posts from various sites complaining of the lag. (btw, I wasn't talking of online play. Just through the main story line would the game lag. So it wouldn't be the internet. Plus my internet is the fastest I can get through Comcast, even if it was online I don't think it would be that). I do have a slightly older 3DS which may contribute to it but I've heard of other people having lag issues with the newer 3DS. Its not like the lag issue is completely terrible, just noticeable. So the game is pushing the limits of the 3DS. Which is point I was making above.

Ive heard the charging for the handheld on the switch only gets you 3 hours. Which is okay if you're staying at home but if you're going out, not so good. And even though I love Zelda I can't bring myself to spend $360+ just for one game. I'll most likely wait till more good games come along. Like "Pokemon Stars." And Persona 5 comes out tomorrow and I'm definitely getting that!

Worth noting that May is historically a good month for Pokemon game announcements. For most of the past 10 years, we've seen either a new game announcement or the first real details of an upcoming game. I mean, look at some of the announcements we got in the past:

2007: First screenshots of DP were shown as well as the reveal of the Sinnoh region
2008: Platinum was announced in CoroCoro when it leaked on May 11
2009: HGSS was announced on May 8
2010: First concrete details on BW revealed in CoroCoro including the starters, art of the protagonists, and the Unova region
2013: First concrete details on XY revealed in CoroCoro including art of the protagonists, the Kalos region, character customization, Pokemon riding, and several Pokemon
2014: ORAS was announced on May 7
2016: First trailer for SM showing the starters, the mascots, and the region.

The only years that didn't were break years and 2012, in which BW2 had an a typical release schedule having been announced in February and released in Japan in June. If the pattern holds true this year as well, we should be getting a new announcement soon.

Let's hope that it will not happen. Nintedo Switch is great, but many people are still enjoying Pokemon gaming on 3DS and 2DS. Being a Pokemon game lover, I always love to explore more information on Pokemon Sun and Moon.

Last edited:
I have my doubts about Sun and Moon being the last games or then letting the 3DS line of handhelds go yet. First one is that they're releasing the 'New 2DS XL' later this year.Second is that they would want to release the main games on the handheld system with the most numbers and the Switch itself wouldn't have nearly the amount they would want. I'm expecting the first Switch Pokemon game would be Pokken.

Hackzo23 does bring up something I do often forget of Sun and Moon lagging on the original 3DS family line. Thinking about that makes me wonder if the 'New 2DS XL' might be them preparing to push the next main set of games even further. Perhaps they are preparing the next games for only the 'New' 3DS systems excluding the original system hardware limitation?

Now that Monster Hunter XX has been announced for the Switch, and has a fair bit of cross-compatibility with the 3DS version...

I think that the most likely outome is that the next Pokemon games will be available on both platforms.

Now that Monster Hunter XX has been announced for the Switch, and has a fair bit of cross-compatibility with the 3DS version...

I think that the most likely outome is that the next Pokemon games will be available on both platforms.

Sure, why not.

That will make it another game for the 3ds, which is also ported to the switch in addition.

Back