Discussion Will Greninja ever be good again?

MoFoTY86

Aspiring Trainer
Hello to you all once again. So shifting over to TCG, my first thought to post about is...will Greninja ever be great again? With the recent hype with Decidueye-GX/Laurantis-GX/Vileplume decks, it seems a lot of people will be playing said decks and Greninja will have a hard time struggling against it. So what would be some ways to improve or change Greninja to be a competitor to the grass-type GXs? Or should we all forget about Greninja and say it had its run and should be buried once and for all?

Tell me your thoughts and what would be good counters?

I don't think Greninja needs to be "thrown away" just yet. Not only might it see a new card in a future set that makes it 100% competitive again, but it still has its usage. A nice way for Greninja to hurt Grass decks is using Delinquent. Almost all Lurantis or Decidueye decks have a Forest of Giant Plants, making it easy to be able to play a Delinquent on them to try and stall the game. Hex Maniac, of course after you have Water Shurikend, can help shut down Item-lock and Feather Arrow, as well as Shiinotic's ability (because I forget how to speel tat word :p) which can disrupt them a little bit. Parallel City is an option as it hurts grass decks either way you place it but if your playing Greninja it almost hurts you too, so maybe no play that. Also, after Guardians Rising, your have Field Blower, which, even though most grass decks don't run garb, can shut down garb and it hurts whatever items they have on as well. Another alternative is after Guardians Rising, you can try to fit in a Talonflame BREAK + Choice Band + Professor Kukui to do 180 damage to either Lurantis-GX or Decidueye-GX. It does not OHKO either of them but you have your shurikens so it could help. The problem with that is they you'd have to start out Talonflame and not have it die too, which is pretty tough. I'm not sure what else really helps in these matchups.

I hope you found this helpful! :D

Back