Discussion Will Copycat see play?

vyolet127

Aspiring Trainer
I feel like, in a format without any good draw support, save Cynthia, Copycat should see a decent amount of play. However, I'm not an old enough player to know if it was any good in the like four times it was printed previous. Do you guys think it will be good?
Also, is the E-series one legal at the time CeS is legal? Will it cost any extra monies?

I grabbed a few of the old ones (3 different ones) off of eBay juuuust in case. They're cheap now.

Call of legends seems to have the same text as Celestial Storm. The other two say something about counting your opponent's cards which, while a distinction without a difference, would make those not legal for Standard tournament play. But that doesn't mean they won't see elevated collector value. I don't think we're talking about much money though. A couple of dollars maybe.

Reading these cards further now I'm not sure any of the old ones would be legal. Does anyone know if the supporter rules text counts when determining legality of older prints for use in Standard (or whatever format)?

Last edited:
I grabbed a few of the old ones (3 different ones) off of eBay juuuust in case. They're cheap now.

Call of legends seems to have the same text as Celestial Storm. The other two say something about counting your opponent's cards which, while a distinction without a difference, would make those not legal for Standard tournament play. But that doesn't mean they won't see elevated collector value. I don't think we're talking about much money though. A couple of dollars maybe.

Reading these cards further now I'm not sure any of the old ones would be legal. Does anyone know if the supporter rules text counts when determining legality of older prints for use in Standard (or whatever format)?

I can't imagine the other versions of the card not being legal to play, several other cards (usually just through change of generation) slightly differ on wording yet still allow you to play other versions (ie Ultra Ball wording differs between XY/BW and SM yet both are playable because they're functionally the same).

I can't imagine the other versions of the card not being legal to play, several other cards (usually just through change of generation) slightly differ on wording yet still allow you to play other versions (ie Ultra Ball wording differs between XY/BW and SM yet both are playable because they're functionally the same).
However Rainbow Energy from Team Rocket isn’t legal because it does 10 damage instead of placing 1 damage counter

However Rainbow Energy from Team Rocket isn’t legal because it does 10 damage instead of placing 1 damage counter

Placing 10 damage and placing a damage counter are functionally different though; damage counters are not damage and can trigger different effects. I get what you mean that it is wording they changed between generations, but it made the functionality no longer the same as the card is now "doing something else".

Placing 10 damage and placing a damage counter are functionally different though; damage counters are not damage and can trigger different effects. I get what you mean that it is wording they changed between generations, but it made the functionality no longer the same as the card is now "doing something else".

I wonder if they'll errata the old card to make it current with the new one. They did with Great Ball years back. The original said to look through your whole deck for a Pokemon while the newer one says the top 7 cards of your deck. You can still play with the old ones as long as you play it as a new one. That is a big maybe though. They'll errata cards with the same name that don't share the same wording but refuse to let base set computer search be used like an Ace Trainer. Inconsistencies like that just seem suspicious to me.

Copycat will see play in any format where Zoroark is big. The old ones will probably be legal, minor technicalities in the text don't matter unless they functionally change what the card does as in the case of original rainbow energy, or where core functionality was altered like energy retrieval, potions, ect.

Copycat will see play in any format where Zoroark is big. The old ones will probably be legal, minor technicalities in the text don't matter unless they functionally change what the card does as in the case of original rainbow energy, or where core functionality was altered like energy retrieval, potions, ect.
By this logic, will Sandstorm Dunsparce be legal?

From the Play! Pokémon Trading Card Game Rules And Formats document:

2.4. Reprinted Cards
From time to time, cards printed in previous expansions are reprinted in a new expansion. Unless the older card’s text is functionally identical to the new version of the card, it will not be legal. Cards that have received errata (Potion, Rare Candy, etc.) are legal.

Please see the official Pokémon website’s Rules and Resources page for a list of cards that have been reprinted and are legal for play in the Standard Format.

Sadly, in spite of that final claim, I do not believe such a list is available from the official website.

Once we see the official translation we'll know for sure. It's numerically identical and the Japanese is the same, so it should be. The only difference in text I'm aware of is the old one didn't indicate that weakness was x2. The only thing that makes me think that maybe copycat and supporter reprints wouldn't be legal is the "supporter" language. Before BW Base supporters weren't discarded until the end of your turn, BW changed that so they're discarded on use. This could have functional implications in retrospect.

This is what I'm thinking as well. I have several non-Zoroark decks that I want to throw a couple copies into just to have some semblance of keeping up with Zoro decks, resource-wise.

Once we see the official translation we'll know for sure. It's numerically identical and the Japanese is the same, so it should be. The only difference in text I'm aware of is the old one didn't indicate that weakness was x2. The only thing that makes me think that maybe copycat and supporter reprints wouldn't be legal is the "supporter" language. Before BW Base supporters weren't discarded until the end of your turn, BW changed that so they're discarded on use. This could have functional implications in retrospect.
I'm pretty sure that people are allowed to use the HGSS prints of Judge and Fisherman, so I don't see a reason why the HGSS or Neo prints of Copycat shouldn't be allowed (unless I'm wrong, of course).

Anyway, in a format with cards like Zoroark GX and Drampa GX, being able to Copycat after your opponent Trades a bunch of times or after your opponent uses Big Wheel GX is simply fantastic. This is definitely the best format for Copycat to be in.

im still disappointed they didn't reprint rocket's admin

Last edited:
Back