Why is Skyridge so sought after?

RE: Skyridge

Last set made by Wizards of the Coast and last time Kadabra was printed as a English card was this set.

also according to Bulbapedia:

A set to follow Skyridge, titled "Jamboree," was in the works of being released by WOTC, but never had the opportunity to be printed, due to the cancellation of Wizards' license. Other consequences of the cancellation of the WOTC license was that there was only one print run of Skyridge, causing the price of the set to skyrocket.

There was only one print run of Skyridge due to WOTC handing over the rights to Pokemon tcg to Nintendo. That and the cards have some of the best artwork ever print IMO.
I've been lucky enough to open 2 boxes, easily my favourite set :)

Still haven't gotten my hands on a box... 500$ is a lot... I'm aiming for it at the end of this month though.

MrSquarepants said:
Still haven't gotten my hands on a box... 500$ is a lot... I'm aiming for it at the end of this month though.

They went up so much so quicky! I got both of mine not too long ago for less than $500 combined.

Thanks guys for your feedback and is it true this is the only set that has ultras in holo and reverse holo which is harder to find or pull from the box?

The only Skyridge card I have is Oracle; it's in my Unlimited deck :D

I am searching actively for a rev-holo, but they are like $14 for the cheapest I've seen. Now I feel lucky to have it NORMAL.

Oh wow, I had no idea Skyridge was so valuable. Recently I traded a Heatran LV.X promo and a few uncommons for around 20 uncommons from this era (including 2 oracle and a miracle sphere B). Interesting news.

Well commons and uncommons go for like .50 cents to 1$ depending on what it is. Sealed stuff will be way more though. I have a Crystal Crobat but its a reverse holo so I saw only 15-25$ for it.

Story time...
When I was younger, I wanted to buy pokémon cards as my gift for birthday (or christmas, can't remember which), so I went to a local Toys R Us (which was the only store I think would have pokémon cards, cause I had bought cards there before) and asked if they had any Pokémon cards cause I didn't see anything in the shelves. They checked their storage and all they had was 3 Skyridge booster packs.
I was a bit disappointed, but since they had nothing else and my parents thought it was expensive enough, I thought "well, it's better than nothing". Also, I hadn't even heard of that set before, so I was happy to have more recent cards too.
Well, I didn't pull any Ultra-rares (didn't even know there were Ultra-rares), but I got 27 new cards (luckily, I didn't pull any repeated card). I eventually became satisfied cause the cards looked really good (the artwork is indeed awesome) and I got cool rares (Kabutops, Gengar and Flareon, plus a Holo Raichu) and those weird Trainer cards called Technical machines (which were new to me) like Mystery Plate...

More recently, after knowing about the scarcity of Skyridge cards and now, after reading your posts, I think I was actually lucky that I got those 3 booster packs...

It might have been my horrible luck, but the 500$ i payed for my Skyridge box was wasted. Got one reverse crystal, but a lot of cool holos though.

SheNinja said:
Why would being rev-holo hurt its value?

For the Crystal cards, there are Reverse Holos and normal Holos. Being Reverse Holo does not necessarily hurt the card's value, it's just that the RH versions are worth less than the normal Holo versions.

Related: For all of the Expedition series, there's a combination of holo, reverse holo, or non-holo version of most every card.

The non-holo cards can played with on the ereader and gameboy advance. Reverse holo cards can not. Regular holo can not but to me they look prettier.

I opened 2 boxes and sadly didn't get any crystal Charizard or Celebi. I got 1 Ho-oh regular, 1 reverse, 1 Golem regular, 2 Crobat reverses and a Kabutops reverse. I bought the boxes for around $150 each. There's this store here in Brazil that has had them forever, since few people collect here, and they've been rotated for a while now.

Back