Why do you battle competitively?

Chariblaze

When you add it all up...
Is it all for the rush of competition? To better yourself, and be the best battler you can be?

Or is it all for fun, to learn the mechanics and play a fun, strategic game?

Perhaps something else?

I consider myself semi-competitive as I find it the most enjoyable stance to adopt.

By semi competitive, I guess you could say that I enjoy playing to win, but do not at all aspire to be the "best" of all the players. I play to win because obviously that's more fun than the alternative of mashing random buttons, and there's fun to be had in executing combinations and beating people. However I don't find fine-tuning teams to be top laddering material all that of an enjoyable experience, and don't battle enough to be as familiar with the game as the pros, so I can't say I aim to be the best. In fact I only really touch the ladder when I'm goofing around with experimental stuff and I want a good number of differing opponents to test it on.

Partially as a competitive person. I enjoy winning, so being competetive is something I find fun. Laddering is kinda cool, I can get a random opponent at the click of a button. For competitive people, having to press 1 button to have an immediate competition is kind of cool. The strategy behind everything is something I find fun also. I don't really have the expertiese to put together a top-laddering team, but if I did, it would be somethign that I think would be really cool. It's also fun to use pokemon that nobody ever sees in competitive play, and to do good with them. Unfortunately, the metagame at this moment kind of prevents that. We can't pull a Blake and use Charge Beam Lanturn to ladder into 1400+ anymore. It just doesn't work. If it did, those teams are what I find the most enjoyable.

When I first began playing in Gen.3, it was solely an activity to keep me and my friends entertained. We both had a GBA game while I had the gamecube, Pokemon XD and all the connecting cords. It was pretty fun. As time went on, we got really competitive with it.

The competitive nature I had found slowly took over me when I started playing in Fourth Gen. I never really laddered, just found people on PokeBeach wanting battles against my poorly built teams.

At the core though, this is all about having fun for me. I've been a Pokemon fan for years, and I've been having fun ever since. Competitive play on PO is so much more convenient than going through the processes of in-game training, and I'm not a patient person.

Mostly for fun, to learn the mechanics of a fun, strategic game. If I can beat some people on the path of knowledge, all the better.

I like to team build.
I like to play with my favorites.
I like to win with my favorites.
I like to make statements.

Put that all together and you have a guy who can build and use any team, and, win or lose, will have an absolute BLAST using it.
Especially when I Claydol sweep you.

I play for fun mostly, but that doesn't mean I only play to win (unless it's a tournament ofc). If I had a blast playing this game I lost, or I learned something, I usually have a lot of fun. The thrill of the game is the best part.

I also get a certain satisfaction from helping people. Theorymon is something I have recently found fun.

Hax is no fun though unless you get it. :(

I play to get the most out of the game. Be able to enjoy it more than just story mode. I cant say im very competitive since i wouldnt use a pokemon just cuz its good. i use pokemon i like or if its shiny and i sorta like it( like my whimsicott) I dont care about evs on all my pokemon, but most of them are bred etc for ivs. I play on random matchup and wanting to actually win while still using my fave pokemon is what got me into a more competitive field of the game. I dont care about tiers since i like garchomp and excadrill, i use them sometimes. Thats all

Listen man, let me rap (lol) with you for a minute. I'm not the best at this game, and I'm not sure why I'm as good as I am, I'm not that smart of a guy compared to many people here and on other sites. I won't ever be the best (like no one ever was), but I play because it's just an interesting and fun game to play. The community is great when you're not talking to a 5-year-old or someone who takes it way too seriously. Playing with someone you know and just having a ball is the best thing you can hope for, and learning while you do it. This is the only strategic game I really play, and it's great to see that my years of fandom have been used to make me a better and smarter gamer, which has helped to get me doing stuff on YouTube, but again, there's no serious backstory. It's just for the fun of it.

I generally play competitively for a bit of fun and using teams comprised of several of my favorite Pokemon. However, I do aspire to win as much as I can (me and my friend who is in Archery with me can get very competitive sometimes) which I'm sure I'm not the only one like that.

Peer pressure

I started playing mostly for fun, but now that I've started getting better I find myself playing a bit more to win than before. So I guess the answer would be some of each.

Bippa said:
I'd like to ask an additional question in this thread: Why do you battle on Wifi/Pokemon Online instead of the other option?
lol

I get the feeling this question is directed at me. Very well.

First off...when I battle, winning is not my primary objective; having fun is. That isn't to say that I would intentionally set myself up for a fall - I definitely like winning, but I want to do so on my own terms.

Raising a team on a DS, as opposed to a simulator, actually takes a little bit of thought. You can't really go back on a decision if you want to change moves or EVs - you can to an extent, but not for something like egg moves or nature. Thus you become attached to your team. I find simulators make Pokemon almost lifeless - you can build a team in 5 minutes and then just discard it with the drop of a hat, no big deal.

Also, competitive battle is not exactly high on my hobbies list - I like to do it every so often but I don't like making it a habit. I noticed this for myself back in Gen 4 when I used Shoddybattle; I was playing to win and nothing else, and I got routinely beat up, even though my team was solid. Clearly my approach was incorrect.

Plus, Wifi battle requires a bit more thought and it's more social, I feel. And I don't ever get dissed on my team choices either. Those reasons, plus a few others, are why I will never again use an online battle simulator.

I play very competitively, but not for winning. If you're bent on laddering, Pokemon isn't fun. I like to use whatever Pokemon I desire, no matter hat the tier, and find ways to be successful with them.

Bippa said:
I'd like to ask an additional question in this thread: Why do you battle on Wifi/Pokemon Online instead of the other option?
Emulators such as PO seem to kill the fun. It takes no work to get a good team on that. Plus, everyone could just have maxed IVs etc. My pokemon have good IVs and natures not through cheating but through hard work and breeding. When you

actually win, you'll feel more accomplished as you truly worked hard to get that team to a winning condition.

I honestly don't understand the hate for simulators at all. The way DNA put it makes it sound like it's mainly a person's pride as the main reason they play on wifi. Do people seriously hate simulators because you have to actually work to get your team? If so then that's absurd. Even on simulators it can be challenging to build a good, creative team. It's not like "oh here we go let me just throw these six mons together real quick and use that." I've probably spent a day just building a team on a simulator, plus an entire week actually testing the team. With wifi you have to make your team and not look back. What do you do if you find out your team is weak to a certain mon or playstyle? Welp too bad, time to go do repetitive breeding until you get a new mon to fix the problem. Can someone please tell me why this is fun?

Outside of the "pride" you get from building a team, what's left? Let me speak from personal experience when I say the actual battiling on the handhelds is frustrating. I've only built two teams on my DS (one of which is stall and the other is hyper offense) and played about ten games. The first team I played was stall, one of my favorite playstyles, and let me just say that it was /horrible/. Not only was it hard to find an actual GOOD player to face, the battle was also /so/ boring. Half of time I had to stare at the HP bar take ten seconds to get to fifty percent and back up when I used Recover, half of the time my opponent or myself would disconnect 75% into the match. After that I picked up hyper offense, but I strongly dislike that playstyle for a few reasons. Even though my matches were quicker, they still took a long time. Don't get the idea I'm just complaining here from my own experience. A lot of people actually have had the same problems.

Now let's look at simulators. For starters, it's so easy to find a battle. If you go on a large server like Smogon and click the "Find Battle" button, you'll find a match in maybe five or ten seconds. I'm probably stretching this statement a little, but you can do almost a year's worth of wifi battles in one month on a simulator. Not only that, but it also lets you test teams more easier. If I find a problem with my team, I can easily go into team builder and fix it. Cheating is also nonexistent due to clauses. Simulator battling is also a great way to get social with people. On a wifi match, you can't communicate with people over the match, but on a simulator you can. There's also the large main chat that works the same way as an IRC server but without the old, outdated look of an IRC client (unless you go on Shoddy but who still has that piece of junk.) You can actually have fun on a simulator, not just work 24/7 to get a flawless Pokemon. That's no fun.

Don't get me wrong here, I hear that showing people you managed to get a shiny, flawless Pokemon will instantly show a great deal of hard work. I guess that all wifi has going for it - showing off. Not saying that's a bad thing btw.

I'm not trying to insult wifi players with this post, I'm just trying to bring up some good points. It seems to me that strictly wifi players like to label all of us simulator players as lazy, but I think this is a misconception. What makes us "lazy"?

you can build a team in 5 minutes and then just discard it with the drop of a hat, no big deal.

I've never done this once unless i had some stupid idea to build a team on.

Above post reviewed at tl;dr's request.
With wifi you have to make your team and not look back. What do you do if you find out your team is weak to a certain mon or playstyle? Welp too bad, time to go do repetitive breeding until you get a new mon to fix the problem.
The primary purpose of Wifi battling, I feel, is not to win. That would be a completely unrealistic goal, due to the reason stated in the quotebox. Oh, sure, you aren't going to just go willy-nilly into the fight with just 6 random members; you will build your team to win. But if you find out your team is weak to something...no big deal.
But that isn't to say you shouldn't keep your options open. I have almost 90 EV trained Pokemon in my boxes, and at least half of them are level 100 by now (and therefore ready for battle). I mix-and-match very frequently.

Let me speak from personal experience when I say the actual battiling on the handhelds is frustrating. I've only built two teams on my DS (one of which is stall and the other is hyper offense) and played about ten games. The first team I played was stall, one of my favorite playstyles, and let me just say that it was /horrible/. Not only was it hard to find an actual GOOD player to face, the battle was also /so/ boring. Half of time I had to stare at the HP bar take ten seconds to get to fifty percent and back up when I used Recover, half of the time my opponent or myself would disconnect 75% into the match. After that I picked up hyper offense, but I strongly dislike that playstyle for a few reasons. Even though my matches were quicker, they still took a long time. Don't get the idea I'm just complaining here from my own experience. A lot of people actually have had the same problems.
I'm not going to deny this whatsoever - by contrast, I am actually going to affirm this. The animations and such I see over Wifi is something I wish that can be turned off, because they're so utterly unnecessary. Were they turned off, the match time would probably be halved. Connection is another tricky problem you have; you need to make sure that both of you have a good connection. (Oh, and Team Preview. We need to get rid of that garbage for full-on 6v6 fights.)

And, of course, there is the matter of finding a match to begin with in the first place. I am very aware that there are few people who battle on Wifi regularly. As a result, I rarely get any time to brush up my team, if at all - and the opportunities I do get I exploit. I've only ever had 2 Wifi matches - yeah, you heard me right, 2 - and I've learned quite a lot from both of them, on what I should do in regards to my team and playstyle. One of them was, bar none, the best game I've ever played...even though I lost 2-0 (and it should have been 4-0, but Flinchrachi is not to be underestimated).

Now let's look at simulators. For starters, it's so easy to find a battle. If you go on a large server like Smogon and click the "Find Battle" button, you'll find a match in maybe five or ten seconds. I'm probably stretching this statement a little, but you can do almost a year's worth of wifi battles in one month on a simulator. Not only that, but it also lets you test teams more easier. If I find a problem with my team, I can easily go into team builder and fix it.
I'm pretty sure the reason for that is the ease in actually putting a team together and the advertising that goes into it - it's actually directed straight to the fanbase. I don't think this is Wifi's fault at all. If more people were actually interested in Wifi, this problem would either be lessened or just not exist.

Cheating is also nonexistent due to clauses.
You can remedy this completely if you know who you're fighting. Besides, there is always the "Off" switch.

Simulator battling is also a great way to get social with people. On a wifi match, you can't communicate with people over the match, but on a simulator you can.
Things called "voice chat" and "premier events" do exist, you know. Don't think that there's zero socializing involved in DS games. I'm sure you are aware of the existence of Pokemon TCG leagues? People bring their DSs too every now and again.

Don't get me wrong here, I hear that showing people you managed to get a shiny, flawless Pokemon will instantly show a great deal of hard work. I guess that all wifi has going for it - showing off. Not saying that's a bad thing btw.
I'm pretty sure this is probably the main selling point of Wifi battling and such. Teambuilding on DS and teambuilding on a simulator require the exact same amount of thought. However, with DS there is actually work involved. Showing your good win record with a simulator team is no big deal. You can just be "netdecked". Those results can't really be replicated very well with a DS team. Each Pokemon is unique in this way. And the one who has not only the best strategy, but also the most time to burn...effectively has the last word.
(Also I'm vehemently against the RNG method. If you want flawless stats so badly, go fight on a simulator and leave the rest of us alone.)

In closing: I've said a few times that my refusal to use a simulator is primarily due to personal/aesthetic reasons, and not a slight against any particular group of battlers. I just feel that my team is much more "alive" to me than it would on a simulator. Flawless stats and team matchups is not the point - having fun is.

Yeah I play the same. while i dont have that many Pokémon, I do have a handful I mix and match

Back