Fun Why do people use Professor Sycamore?

JeremyR

Aspiring Trainer
I checked out this card and have used him in friendly game play but I dont really understand why he is used so much. The biggest negative I have found is that you 'discard' your hand and if you use him twice there is a risk that you might run out of cards in your deck. I prefer Hala since you can shuffle your hand back into your deck, why is Professor used more than Hala.

Bare in mine that I am not a competitive player and so dont really have an idea of how fast a competitive game is and whether you would run out of cards like I would during a friendly having used a sycamore or 2.

Sycamore is mainly used if you get a bum hand and need a fresh one fast, or if your hand is getting low. Because of that and the risk of decking out, I like to think of it as a "bomb" that you use in emergencies.

Most competitive decks can get set up fairly quickly, so having a bum hand can be a huge disadvantage. Also, in practice most people use it when they don't have much else in their hand (or even as their only card). I've played plenty of games where a well-timed Sycamore saved my life.

That said, I do expect Cynthia to become the top draw card, especially once Sycamore and N rotate out. The problem with Hala is that it relies on using your GX attack to be worthwhile, while Sycamore and Cynthia don't.

I actually dislike N the most because it tends to become a brick later in the game or if you're on a roll. There's also the risk of refreshing your opponent's hand, too. I think I'll replace it with Cynthia once I get enough of those.

Last edited:
1) The raw draw power of a card like Professor Sycamore (and before it, Professor Juniper and way before both, Professor Oak) is that they are so good, they "distort" the metagame. Decks evolve to eat through themselves but also to win so quickly that decking out is unlikely. Decks are also structured so that the discard cost isn't as bad, either. This involves using more cards that can be used quickly (spammed), other cards with discard effects (like Ultra Ball), and cards that are at least possible to recycle later on (plus a few cards to do the recycling).

2) A competitive game can be over in a single turn, though this is quite, quite, quite rare. Quite, quite rare is finishing in two turns. By the third turn - that is, Player 1's second turn - it is simply quite rare for someone to have won. It is rare for someone to have won by the fourth turn, uncommon for the someone to win on the fifth turn, but by the sixth turn, wins aren't unusual at all. For example, Player 2 just had to score OHKO's against three Pokémon-EX/GX or run the other player out of Pokémon in play. The current pacing is so fast that a game which lasts nine or ten (again, that is for both players combined) turns may be seen as a "slow" or "long" game. o_O

3) Hala only draws four cards if you haven't used for GX-attack and many decks prefer to use it for something significant either mid- or late game. As such, Hala draws an abysmal four cards for a third to two-thirds of the game (assuming the game even goes that long). I had high hopes for Hala when he was first revealed, but only a handful of decks really want to use their GX-attack early, and of those, even fewer are competitive.

4) Based on the period when N, Professor Juniper, and Professor Oak's New Theory (same stats and effect as Cynthia) were Standard legal, as well as for the duration of the Legacy Format on the PTCGO, running all three heavily is the norm. Remember, just because you run three or four copies of a card does not mean you use all copies every game; it can be just as much to improve your odds of drawing into one when you need it and/or avoiding a loss because some were Prized, some had to be discarded, etc. Until I have more experience, I'll probably go with three of each of them or maybe one of them at four. I expect Cynthia to become a staple, and possibly the main drawcard because of how stable it is relative to the other two but they aren't going away (well, until they rotate from Standard) because Professor Sycamore is raw draw power (and many decks have stuff they want to discard), while N is that weird mix of draw and disruption that may backfire, but works often enough that it is still amazing.

Thanks guys there are some really good points here. Yes Cynthia looks like a good card and much more effective than Hala mind you they both draw 4 if you disregard the other condition though Cynthia has the edge.
Thanks again!

4 Sycamore is necessary in EVERY SINGLE STANDARD DECK PERIOD. The assurance of not drawing the cards you discarded in that 7 cards is amazing.

Thanks guys there are some really good points here. Yes Cynthia looks like a good card and much more effective than Hala mind you they both draw 4 if you disregard the other condition though Cynthia has the edge.
Thanks again!

Cynthia, just released in SM - Ultra Prism as 119/138 and 148/138, has you shuffle your hand into your deck and draw six cards. It sounds like you confused it with an older card that is currently only legal for the Unlimited Format, called Cynthia's Feelings (DP - Legends Awakened 131/146).

Thanks for unintentionally providing proof that I'm not just being a nitpicker by nagging encouraging people to use a card's full name (sometimes with up to full reference information). Granted, I did not do that this time, since I forgot you're new and foolishly assumed you'd looked up the newest set (officially released last Friday). ^^'

4 Sycamore is necessary in EVERY SINGLE STANDARD DECK PERIOD. The assurance of not drawing the cards you discarded in that 7 cards is amazing.
I mean, this isn't true. There are many decks that run varying numbers of Sycamore. This doesn't really help answer OP's question, either, since you're replying with false information.

I play(ed) sylveon, and the only draw support it ran was 2 N. That is it. 2 N.

Oh, hey, I got top 32 at Portland regionals in seniors.

Now I play volcanion.

4-4 N/Sycamore line. (I don't have any cynthia)

Therefore, it depends on what deck you play for your lines of supporters. Some decks can do without, some decks need them or they die.

I agree that Sycamore is crucial for refreshing your hand AND potentially thinning out your deck. What you have to consider is 1) what deck you're playing, and 2) what deck you're playing against. For example, decking out is a real possibility if you're playing against mill, but not as likely if you are playing against a fast, aggressive deck like Volcanion.

Some decks really want to play quickly, so they play as many cards as they can and then discard to thin their deck, as well as draw more resources. Think about it this way: Some newer players like using Hau to draw 3. Professor Sycamore let's you draw more than twice that amount. It's raw draw power that makes it a really widely used card, and even though there are times you may not want to play a Sycamore in a game, most of the time it will hurt more if you don't, because trying to play every single resource before getting more can slow your board state, leaving an opportunity for your opponent to take an easy lead on prize cards. And most decks are actually built to be capable of freely discarding certain cards, since they're able to play them from their hand and grab what they need before drawing a fresh hand, and playing high copies of cards so you don't completely punish yourself for discarding something.

1.sycamore gets you 7 cards v.s. N giving you a maximum of 6 and Cynthia too
you may think that discarding your hand just to get an extra card would be a bad trade-off in that case you would be wrong
2. Sycamore also ¨thins your deck¨ which is basicly removing unneccecary cards from your deck to get the cards that you want more likely, sycamore does this because you are not adding anything back into your deck, therefore increasing your chances of getting the card you want
although if you have valuable resources in your hand then Cynthia or N would be the way to go

Back