Discussion Why do people add 'junk cards' when trading on PTCGO

dmode15

Aspiring Trainer
Ok so I already know the answer to the question I posed, but is it really necessary.

For example someone wants a tapu Lele so they offer up say 5 packs of guardians rising and 45 common cards. When you look at the main trade list it looks like this guy is offering up 50 packs of guardians rising for a tapu Lele. Then after you open the trade up SUPRISE it's nothing but garbage.

Back in the black and white era I don't recall people being this sneaky. The trades were legit. But now it seems like the equivelant of you tube click bait.

I guess the main question is can ptcgo do anything to curb this? Maybe make it completely random what cards/packs show up for display on the main trading list?

And for the record:, NO I don't want 25 basic unumbered energies to go with your offer of 10 forbidden light for my FA Cynthia.

My first thought most of the time is "Is someone new on PTCGO just trying to get cards and dont knowing how works", could be just clickbaiting as well, but the first is very possible when I was new I remember offering like 40 cards trying to get just 1 card (Just a regular card btw, Not a GX, Ex or something really costly), its very simple logic trying to make an offer the most attractive possible especially when you dont have an true idea of what people is actually searching for, now I learn the best way to get cars is offering packs

But I have to agree is kinda annoying find that kind of trades, the trade searcher should be updated to be more specific, I never able to truly find good deals with how the searchers is designed

And is sad the fact most people only care about get Ex/Gx, I try so many times to get an Octillery for several months ago and still not being able to do it

My first thought most of the time is "Is someone new on PTCGO just trying to get cards and dont knowing how works", could be just clickbaiting as well, but the first is very possible when I was new I remember offering like 40 cards trying to get just 1 card...

Yeah, learning the ropes of trading takes time, especially if you don't know about the In-Game Item Exchange subforum of the official PTCGO message board. However, the vast majority of the trades @dmode15 is mentioning are almost certainly an intentional attempt at tricking impatient or novice traders. When it is a mess of valuable cards before or after a booster it might be a newbie trading posting it, but when a valuable booster leads a bunch of junk commons? It's a clickbaiter.

Unfortunately, there isn't much the powers-that-be can do about it. I mean, there is a lot they could do, but not much they should do as it would adversely affect legitimate trades or require becoming a pay service as they hire staff to police things.

I read somewhere that it is most DEFINITELY click-bait. The theory being that more eyes-on equals a better chance of the trade going through. For me, the best thing I've found in game is to make sure to tag your cards "for want" or "for trade" and use those filters. If I want to zero in on a small range of cards that I can't directly filter for (like all Ace Specs for example) I toggle the "for review" tag and use that in my filter. Seems to save a lot of time.

The people I am referring to are the click baiters, and I would say they make up 85percent of all trades. What makes things more difficult is that I have every card available back to heart gold soulsilver so I have to scroll through a lot of crap.

I like the idea of using the 'review' button to help filter the trades.

I just wish people would just be straight up with their trades.

Now if only there was a way to mass select and mark the cards. Or if we could have the same filters for trades that we have when looking at our own collection that would be SOMETHING. I noticed the filters for my collection got better in the last update or two. Helps with the selection process a bit. The PTCGO team is obviously aware that search options are good, but why they don't exist in the trade area is beyond me.

Maybe if that "report trade" button did something like accumulate points against your account. Get too many any you get trade blocked for a while. Get on the list too many times and maybe your account gets suspended and reviewed. Maybe it already does something like that; I don't know. Trouble is, that can be abused too so it would take manpower (money) to moderate the list. I know there are AIs that can handle this kind of task, but again, money.

Now that's a great idea. It could be abused but unless someone had an army of minions to do false reports I wouldn't be too worried.

Funny how the report feature doesn't even do anything. It's an incomplete feature. They don't go anywhere.

(EDIT: I would also probably hold myself responsible for doing such things. It's just my nature I suppose.)

Now that's a great idea. It could be abused but unless someone had an army of minions to do false reports I wouldn't be too worried.

It doesn't take an army of minions, it just takes easily angered people. Newbies who don't know what they are doing (one way or the other) would likely rage flag a lot of people and remember, we want someone to read the flagged trades. So either we have an automated system that will probably be as "good" as Youtube's copyright flagging system *shudder* or they have to pay someone to read all the flagged trades, taking a worker away from something else.

Back