Which Set Should I Invest In?

Jademon

Aspiring Trainer
There are sooooo many sets of Pokemon in standard and I am not sure which would be best to invest into at this point. Even though Phantom Forces has rotated, I want a few more VS seekers and who knows what I could use for expanded. Then Primal Clash, I was thinking of making Primal Kyogre deck and I'm still missing a few cards. Roaring Skies? Maybe I'll find a Shaymin, and I need a few cards for a Mega Rayquaza deck. Ancient Origins has Giratina Ex and Mega Sceptile, and then Breakthrough and Breakpoint and the others have a bunch of other great cards. What would be best to invest a booster box in?

it depends on what you have and what you're trying to make. the most important thing to have is a playset or 2 of the various trainers, which the keldeo vs rayquaza battle deck is one of the better sources.

I find about half a box to a box will get you most of what you need from a set (save super rares like EX) after that it's usually best to be buying singles.

if you really want to buy a box be aware that the print run is somewhere around the break sets and such any boxes from before that will cost more.

although you may get "lucky" and pull a card you want/need like Shaymin EX.
chances are just as good that you will wind up with other EX cards you don't want.
if you are on a limited budget... I would suggest you get the staples of trainers/supporters.
Sycamore, VS Seeker, Max Elixir, etc...

I wouldn't recommend getting too far into any particular deck until you have had
a chance to play test it. you may find you don't like it or it wasn't as good as hyped.
or wind up with bad matchups.

in the long run, its probably more efficient to spend the money on the cards directly
and just buy it via ebay. for many decks, you likely need 3+ of the cards anyway...
so its almost impossible to pull all you need from a booster box.

Back