Pokémon Which Pokemon Can Form a Core with Volcanion?

Scattered mind

Competitive VG Forums Mod
Forum Mod
So now that Volcanion is officially here, I thought about a different way to introduce it, especially because most of us already knew about it long time ago and made some sets. Which Pokemon do you think can fit well in a team with Volcanion? What strategy can make them effective?

Volcanion: FIRE/WATER

Ability: Water Absorb

HP: 80
Attack: 110
Defense: 120
Sp. Atk: 130
Sp. Def: 90
Speed: 70

Notable Moves:

- Steam Eruption
- Fire Blast
- Sludge Bomb
- Earth Power
- Earthquake
- Flare Blitz
- Flamethrower
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power
- Focus Blast
- Stone Edge
- Superpower
- Will-o-Wisp

No Ice coverage bar HP Ice..

Last edited:
I would say Celebi and Landorus-T are perfect team mates, as literally Volcanion covers both of these Pokemons' weaknesses (excluding Dark-type moves for Celebi) well, and thanks to Water Absorb, Landorus-T is perfectly fine with Water-types. You could run Scarf Knock Off to outspeed Starmie, who gets the BoltBeam combo, which easily outspeeds Volcanion and Landorus-T (or you could just get another Pokemon for this, like Chansey). Whilst Celebi deals more importantly with Rotom-W, it also resists Volcanion's ground weakness, and Lando-T not only being immune to that, but also being immune to Electric-type attacks as well. You could also use Excadrill with a Balloon, which not only is immune to Electric-type moves, but can hit Rotom-W and gets Rapid Spin.

Edit: Just a little something I noticed, as well as an interesting question, would only Volcanion and any Grass-type make a full FWG core? :p

Last edited:
I feel like Volcanion, while increasing the viability of other bulky waters, is a premier bulky water as well. So pairing him with traditional bulky-water partners like Grass types sounds cool. Like Equinox said, Celebi stands out here.

Volcanion also intrudes a lot of Heatran's old ground of bulky Fire type and so traditional Heatran partners (Clefable and Celebi) work well here too.

I feel like Volcanion, while increasing the viability of other bulky waters, is a premier bulky water as well. So pairing him with traditional bulky-water partners like Grass types sounds cool. Like Equinox said, Celebi stands out here.

Volcanion also intrudes a lot of Heatran's old ground of bulky Fire type and so traditional Heatran partners (Clefable and Celebi) work well here too.
The only problem I find with Heatran being on the team as well is that you have two bulky Pokemon that are weak to Earthquake/Earth Power

Sorry, I read that as if you meant Heatran was supporting it as well!

Anyways, I think even Serperior would be a very viable partner for Volcanion, being able to come in on a resisted move for either a free Leaf Storm boost, and also compensating for Volcanion's low speed, and even being able to paralyze faster Ground-types with Glare.

Volcanion is among the more splashable Pokémon provided that your team can deal with hazards. It provides so many useful resistances, a Scald switch-in, Azu check... it's an excellent partner to so many things. A tougher question would be to ask what is ISN'T compatible with.

I disagree with the above comments regarding Heatran, who can be successfully paired with Volcanion as a lure to weaken Lati@s and bulky waters for maximum Steam Eruption carnage. Yes, they share a Ground weakness, but they are so good at wearing down each other's counters and provide very important individual resistances (Water for Volc, Dragon for Heatran). I saw a #1 ladder team which exploited this pair. Keldeo pairs with Volcanion using the same logic.

It's obviously a great partner for Fairy types as it really punishes most Steel Pokémon. M-Diancie stands out due to acting as a hazard deterrent.
Grass types work well with it for obvious reasons. You get a FWG core in two mons!

Back