Which Characters Would You Like to See Return to the Anime?

I'd like to see bayleaf, Oshawott, or both come back. Out of all of ash's pokemon I loved them the most. Plus it would be funny to see how Serena would act if bayleaf kept coming in between her and ash.

drosewood67 said:
I'd like to see Brock return. I say this because every past female companion has had a guest appearance at least once in the main series after, so why shouldn't the male companion do the same? I'm hoping Brock will appear at some point during the Decalora Adventure or maybe even when Ash arrives back in Kanto after the Decalora. If by chance, they might have Brock retuen as a main character instead of a brand-new male companion. And if the same holds for Cilan, Cilan might have a guest appearance in the X and Y anime (currently rumored to be Pocket Monsters XtraordinarY ). Iris will probably do the same.

And besides, I loved Brock! He was like an older brother to Ash. He was funny, kind and caring, gave out words of wisdom, and etc.. He also knew how to take care of Pokémon, ranging from feeding them to nursing them to good health. No wonder he was a great canditate for a Pokémon Doctor!

I actually saw a YouTube video where Brock and Cilan met. I couldn't really understand it because it was in Japanese, but they both mentioned ash without actually saying his name. And at the end of the episode they both said they forgot to ask the other for their names. It was funny!

Not in any particular order...

Cilan.
I need Cilan, Detective Cilan, and Judge Cilan to be back forever. In that episode with Tepig's Trainer, that part with the courtroom, I literally fell out of my chair and just laid on the floor for about 20 minutes. I couldn't even.

Brock.
I know he came back so many times, but I want at least a cameo or something.

Mondo.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGHHH GET AWAY FROM ME

Ben.
Does anyone remember Ben? No, probably not. T_T
He was the awesome Ranger that rescued Heatran. His personality was so perfect, brave and rushing into things but with enough wisdom to stop and think. That, and his forgetfulness.
I actually have a friend who acts exactly like him, so that might be affecting it also...

Tripp.
Because Serperior.

Misty.
Because I want Misty to come back and yell at Ash. and then Serena will just be like, "Who the heck is she?"

Ritchie.
He was a perfect Rival for Ash! Same main Pokémon, acts slightly similar but not at all the same, and actually isn't a jerk!! *glares intensely at Gary, Paul, Drew, and Tripp*

And I want a special episode of N. Not a main series one, but a special one. Because...I don't know.

I think I got them all... *thinks*

Oshawott848 said:
I actually saw a YouTube video where Brock and Cilan met. I couldn't really understand it because it was in Japanese, but they both mentioned ash without actually saying his name. And at the end of the episode they both said they forgot to ask the other for their names. It was funny!

Yep, that's side story 27! Both of them were Ash's companions and they didn't even know it.

I wish May and Max could come back for an ORAS-promoting episode (Kind of like what they did when HGSS came out). Max still needs to battle Ash and, although he's probably still the same age (ugh), he may have acquired something along the way. In the region known for its beauty, May should be running to get a Furfrou for her contests or something. I also wouldn't mind Dawn returning for the same reason, though she was in Unova and probably won't come back for a while, if at all.

Porygon.....

I want to see Max come back because I remember Ash was like "If u git gud I will let u play me". I want the series Ash get to the finals of a tournament, and you learn Max is his final opponent. The series will end with Max totally destroying Ash, and ash is like "U were gud m80"

I want all of the main characters (Misty, Brock, Tracey, May, Max, Dawn, Cilan, Iris) to return. I understand that they change the characters every few seasons, but they can't have a character for several seasons, then throw them away like they didn't exist! It's already been confirmed that Misty will never return (which is terrible), and I don't want the same thing to happen to everyone else!

CHARACTERS I WISH WOULD RETURN (MOST TO LEAST)

1. MISTY: Misty's not really my favorite, but she was still a cool and funny character. The only reason that she's the character I want to return the most is because it's been almost 10 YEARS since she last appeared. Ten years! She was a fan favorite, but they just threw her away and replaced her with May. (Not that I don't like May.) Why can't she return?!

2. MAY: In my opinion, May is better Misty, mostly because she actually did something! The Pokemon Contest arc was very interesting, and I actually liked her storyline more than Ash's. Ash always loses Pokemon leagues, but I was convinced that May would win the Grand Festival. She was gonna leave at the end of the season anyway, so why not let her win? However, I was devastated when I saw that she lost the Grand Festival BOTH TIMES. It would be pretty cool to see May actually come back and win a Grand Festival, especially now that ORAS is out.

3. BROCK: Brock was definitely the funniest character on the show, but he wasn't very important to the plot. He didn't challenge gyms, he didn't compete in contests or showcases, he barely battled at all, but he was sooooooooo funny! Unlike May and Misty, it actually hasn't been that long since his last appearance. His last appearance was in an episode in the Gen 5 series only about a year ago. (But it only aired in Japan.)

4. MAX: Max was very funny, but he was also pretty boring. He had no Pokemon, no goal, no storylines. However, his funniness made up for his relative unimportantness. He made me laugh too many times to count! Just like May, it would be cool to see Max return because of ORAS being released.

5. TRACEY: Tracey gets a lot of hate because he was "boring" and replaced Brock temporarily. However, I find that hate unnecessary. I don't love or hate him, he's just okay. He actually could have been a pretty interesting character if he was on the show for more than ONE SEASON. The dude needs some screentime! Just like Brock, he's appeared as recently as season 16. However, almost all of his appearances are cameos and he has had no dialogue since Gen 3. #BringTraceyBack?

6. DAWN/IRIS/CILAN: I actually haven't watched the Gen 4 or 5 anime due to the fact that I just started watching the anime about a year ago, but I'll get to it eventually. I don't know much about the three, but I do know that they left the show, and that's reason enough for me to want them to return.

CONCLUSION: I'm okay if the characters I listed don't appear in the main anime, but what if they appeared in side story episodes? Anyone remember Pokemon Chronicles? It was a short-lived Pokemon spin-off series that focused on more obscure characters rather than the main five (The main five being Ash, Pikachu, Jessie, James, and Meowth). Most of the episodes were about either Misty or Ritchie, but some were about Gary, Cassidy, Butch, Sakura, Brock, and even Professor Oak and Nurse Joy! It gave many popular characters much needed screentime. It would be AMAZING if they rebooted Pokemon Chronicles to star the other 8 main characters while Ash is on his journey. If it does happen, hopefully it won't air only in Japan like many recent side story episodes. (This concludes my mini-rant.)

For what it's worth Brock made an apperance in a mini episode after Iris and Cilan left. He in fact meets the latter, but I say no more.

GarbodorLover said:
I want all of the main characters (Misty, Brock, Tracey, May, Max, Dawn, Cilan, Iris) to return. I understand that they change the characters every few seasons, but they can't have a character for several seasons, then throw them away like they didn't exist! It's already been confirmed that Misty will never return (which is terrible), and I don't want the same thing to happen to everyone else!

CHARACTERS I WISH WOULD RETURN (MOST TO LEAST)

1. MISTY: Misty's not really my favorite, but she was still a cool and funny character. The only reason that she's the character I want to return the most is because it's been almost 10 YEARS since she last appeared. Ten years! She was a fan favorite, but they just threw her away and replaced her with May. (Not that I don't like May.) Why can't she return?!

2. MAY: In my opinion, May is better Misty, mostly because she actually did something! The Pokemon Contest arc was very interesting, and I actually liked her storyline more than Ash's. Ash always loses Pokemon leagues, but I was convinced that May would win the Grand Festival. She was gonna leave at the end of the season anyway, so why not let her win? However, I was devastated when I saw that she lost the Grand Festival BOTH TIMES. It would be pretty cool to see May actually come back and win a Grand Festival, especially now that ORAS is out.

3. BROCK: Brock was definitely the funniest character on the show, but he wasn't very important to the plot. He didn't challenge gyms, he didn't compete in contests or showcases, he barely battled at all, but he was sooooooooo funny! Unlike May and Misty, it actually hasn't been that long since his last appearance. His last appearance was in an episode in the Gen 5 series only about a year ago. (But it only aired in Japan.)

4. MAX: Max was very funny, but he was also pretty boring. He had no Pokemon, no goal, no storylines. However, his funniness made up for his relative unimportantness. He made me laugh too many times to count! Just like May, it would be cool to see Max return because of ORAS being released.

5. TRACEY: Tracey gets a lot of hate because he was "boring" and replaced Brock temporarily. However, I find that hate unnecessary. I don't love or hate him, he's just okay. He actually could have been a pretty interesting character if he was on the show for more than ONE SEASON. The dude needs some screentime! Just like Brock, he's appeared as recently as season 16. However, almost all of his appearances are cameos and he has had no dialogue since Gen 3. #BringTraceyBack?

6. DAWN/IRIS/CILAN: I actually haven't watched the Gen 4 or 5 anime due to the fact that I just started watching the anime about a year ago, but I'll get to it eventually. I don't know much about the three, but I do know that they left the show, and that's reason enough for me to want them to return.

CONCLUSION: I'm okay if the characters I listed don't appear in the main anime, but what if they appeared in side story episodes? Anyone remember Pokemon Chronicles? It was a short-lived Pokemon spin-off series that focused on more obscure characters rather than the main five (The main five being Ash, Pikachu, Jessie, James, and Meowth). Most of the episodes were about either Misty or Ritchie, but some were about Gary, Cassidy, Butch, Sakura, Brock, and even Professor Oak and Nurse Joy! It gave many popular characters much needed screentime. It would be AMAZING if they rebooted Pokemon Chronicles to star the other 8 main characters while Ash is on his journey. If it does happen, hopefully it won't air only in Japan like many recent side story episodes. (This concludes my mini-rant.)

I support your ideas but only if they had all grown up. Brock was kinda of cool at the beginning but after so many seasons with the same gag, he looked more like a stalker that couldn't make it as a breeder and like Cilan and Tracey after him, was only important to be the cooking slave and healer.
Misty had more potencial but was just there as a tutor travelling to be repayed.
I was bored of May, mostly due to her brotherly feuds. Max was also boring due to that and to the fact that he had no Pokémon like you said, but I'd like to have a season (and series) with him because he would be more the intelectual type to actually train and prepare for battle and investigate the areas for Pokémon, t become more like a Professor.
Tracey could had more screening time if we had more of his artistic side and not just Brock's replacement.
Dawn was cool, more than Mat but that nickname and child friends ruined her for me.
Cilan was the most funny of the cooking slaves mainly due to his akward interests but I don't like his eyes. I'd like to see Cilan as his BW artwork.

"#haveIrisgetkilledbyaHydreigon" is all I have to say about such failure and despicable Tarzana!

What's so bad about Iris? I haven't watched the Gen V anime, and it's gonna be a while before I do so, so I barely know anything about her other than what Pokemon she has. Based on what I do know about her, she actually seems pretty cool. However, I could be completely wrong and she could end up being terrible. (Also, when you talked about Dawn, what did you mean by "that nickname and child friends"? I'm really confused.)

As for Dawn, there was an incident with a Plusle and Minun shocking her that caused her elementary friends to give her the name Dee Dee which was short for Diamond Dandruff. Not sure how this should ruin her for anyone though. I personally always liked her and May myself.

The one thing that was both kind of amusing but kind of annoying about Iris IMO was the tendency to call Ash 'such a little kid' in almost every episode. Still I think it's no different than any of the other quirks from other characters Ash travels with. And I can think of at least one thing Ash did in that series that definently qualfies. I don't want to spoil but let's just say the only time this is likely to happen would be during a player's first gym battle if they're picky on the Pokemon they catch.

GarbodorLover said:
What's so bad about Iris? I haven't watched the Gen V anime, and it's gonna be a while before I do so, so I barely know anything about her other than what Pokemon she has. Based on what I do know about her, she actually seems pretty cool.

The problem that I had with Iris in the anime is that she was portrayed as a younger and snottier Misty. She got almost no characterization and was bland and bratty.

GarbodorLover said:
What's so bad about Iris? I haven't watched the Gen V anime, and it's gonna be a while before I do so, so I barely know anything about her other than what Pokemon she has. Based on what I do know about her, she actually seems pretty cool. However, I could be completely wrong and she could end up being terrible. (Also, when you talked about Dawn, what did you mean by "that nickname and child friends"? I'm really confused.)

Using Athena's description, while Misty treated Ash like the imature child he was but wasn't herself a child, Iris did it but she behaved sometimes like a child. Not only that Misty managed to accomplish more as a Water trainer than Iris as a Dragon trainer. I would give you an example using the first (or second) episode and a special with Iris to show how much of a failure she was (at least she was clevaer than Ash when deciding to change her dream Pokémon to another one rather than following the same). Misty was like a mother to Togepi, while Iris seemed like a not so older sister of a crying baby Axew.

About Dawn, what Pikachu6319 said. To me, Dawn seemed like another female Contest character that had annoying characters (thankfully less than that psycho Cacturne freak).

Pikachu6319 said:
(...) And I can think of at least one thing Ash did in that series that definently qualfies. I don't want to spoil but let's just say the only time this is likely to happen would be during a player's first gym battle if they're picky on the Pokemon they catch.

Do you mean the battle with Elesa? If so, that really was hilarious and a proof of how silly the creators have made Ash. :rolleyes:

You should see what Ash does after getting off the plane when arriving in Kalos!

I have seen what Ash did when he got off the plane on Kalos. And I was referring to his battle with Elesa. That was so stupid, he was better prepared against Brock and all he had was Pikachu, Pidgeotto and...was it Butterfree?

I don't hold Dawn accountable for the people that showed up in her storylines. If so, then I'd have to hold Ash accountable for Paul and Gary. Actually to be honest in many ways I could have done without the whole contest angles regardless of the characters but I can appreciate the showing off of another way to work with and live with Pokemon besides gym battles.

I don't know if I agree that Misty accomplished more as a water trainer than Iris did as a dragon trainer, at least not when she was a main character. I think she more came into her own (relatively speaking) when she left Ash and became a gym leader.

See one kind of problem I had regarding Iris and Cilan (and so far with Clemont and Serena) is that they didn't get a full Pokemon group. I mean Ash was switching (off screen) his Pokemon and Cilan only ever had three, Iris four. At least May and Dawn got full Pokemon teams. Of course right now Ash only has five, and one of them is NOT grass, which is also slightly annoying to me. I'd love to know, just in general, what the writers are thinking when it comes to that kind of thing.

See if they were to bring back alot of the mains in a special or movie of some sort, I'd like to see it tied with mega evolution. Every main with Pokemon except the BW group and the XY group has at least one. Ash has three potentials in Charizard, Heracross, and Sceptile. Plus if Pidgeot ever came back and Gible evolved. Brock could have Mega Steelix and if Marshtomp evolved there's another potential. Misty could have Mega Gyarados. May has three potentials as well with Blaziken, Venusaur and if Wartortle evolved. Dawn could have a Mega Lopunny if Buneary evolved. Even Iris could potentiall have one if her Gible evolved. That's without catching something new.

Pikachu6319 said:
I have seen what Ash did when he got off the plane on Kalos. And I was referring to his battle with Elesa. That was so stupid, he was better prepared against Brock and all he had was Pikachu, Pidgeotto and...was it Butterfree?

I don't hold Dawn accountable for the people that showed up in her storylines. If so, then I'd have to hold Ash accountable for Paul and Gary. Actually to be honest in many ways I could have done without the whole contest angles regardless of the characters but I can appreciate the showing off of another way to work with and live with Pokemon besides gym battles.

I don't know if I agree that Misty accomplished more as a water trainer than Iris did as a dragon trainer, at least not when she was a main character. I think she more came into her own (relatively speaking) when she left Ash and became a gym leader.

See one kind of problem I had regarding Iris and Cilan (and so far with Clemont and Serena) is that they didn't get a full Pokemon group. I mean Ash was switching (off screen) his Pokemon and Cilan only ever had three, Iris four. At least May and Dawn got full Pokemon teams. Of course right now Ash only has five, and one of them is NOT grass, which is also slightly annoying to me. I'd love to know, just in general, what the writers are thinking when it comes to that kind of thing.

See if they were to bring back alot of the mains in a special or movie of some sort, I'd like to see it tied with mega evolution. Every main with Pokemon except the BW group and the XY group has at least one. Ash has three potentials in Charizard, Heracross, and Sceptile. Plus if Pidgeot ever came back and Gible evolved. Brock could have Mega Steelix and if Marshtomp evolved there's another potential. Misty could have Mega Gyarados. May has three potentials as well with Blaziken, Venusaur and if Wartortle evolved. Dawn could have a Mega Lopunny if Buneary evolved. Even Iris could potentiall have one if her Gible evolved. That's without catching something new.

I was sick of Contests due to May's rivals and when it came to Dawn, she is to me a better character but I had already lost interest in contests. Dawn is not accountable for those but that sure ruined her character to me. I'm tired of just seeing the frail female character that likes contest just because she's a girl. For the sake of Arceus, let her eveolve her Piplup and make ash turn into Ashlette and make him go to contests. He's ridiculous enough already so a bit more wouldn't hurt.

Misty has undoubtly grown more since lefting Ash but even before she was more accomplished not only on her own merit but because of Iris' stupidity. All we've seen of Iris is a trainer with a baby dragon and a Excadrill with issues. She could have a Deino and somewhat passed the opportunity, and having that Emolga won't help her become a Dragon tamer/trainer. She was just another female character, and the most childish of them all. She could have been the mistic girl, because Ash never had a Dragon trainer with him and even in the anime Dragon Pokémon are still shrouded in mistery, not to mention she was loking for Zekrom or something only to nerver again see or care about it. Her
Dragonite
was just an easy way to give her a powerfull Dragon while keeping the cute Axew as it was and still gaving the training hardships. And her
Gible
? Please, that's more of the same as the other and only to say that she now has another Pokémon of that type.

I don't think you should compare Iris/Cilan with Clemont/Serena. If wanting to compare these last two with someone, May/Brock is better, because the starters were divided between those two. Iris/Cilan was the worst duo ever, Iris because of what has been said and Cilan because was another let down for a Gym leader (at least he defeated Trip once!) and was just another cooking slave. Cilan was the biggest letdown because I was hoping to finally see a Grass trainer journeying with Ash but instead he was just another Iris with Pokémon that had nothing to do with their goals or expected roles.

I think that Chespin belonging to Clemont is better, because Chespin's personality would be akward with Ash...Ash needs to grow and Froakie seems the best hope for that!

As for Mega-evolution speacials...just no! I hate Mega-evolution so I would never support that. That said, it would be cool for those that like it and the older characters.

In Iris's defense she isn't the only character to have a chance at a Pokemon and basically not have it happen, as with Deino. Anyone else remember May bonding with a Swablu, it coming so close to joining her team and their journey only for the Swablu's family to show up at the end and May let it go with them instead? How many times has Brock given up his own powerful Pokemon to be used at his former gym? That isn't the characters fault technically, that was the writers fault, just as the stupid things Ash does, the obsessive flirting Brock did, and the "little kid" line that Iris used...it really all goes back to the writers being at fault and not the characters.

Another thing that is the writers fault. The fact that (excluding the first BW movie) Iris and Co. never ran into Zekrom or tracked it down. The fact that Axew never evolved was also the writer's fault. Heck, I think the writer's fudged up more than just with Iris's Axew for that matter. I mean most of Ash's main team never evolved, just the secondaries Krookodile and Leavanny, and even Boldore and Palpitoad never followed in that vein. Also the fact that dragon Pokemon are shrouded in mystery...also the writer's fault. But that is something that falls slowly everyday, from Iris having her three dragons (even though two of them are unevolved) to Ash's two dragon Pokemon (only one of which is unevolved). I suspect that is because of the intro of fairies myself.

Well I don't agree that Misty accomplished much more with Ash, but I guess to each their own.

I mean I agree with the contest thing though. I know it was integral in those generations but it wasn't vital to Pokemon over all. I never participated in contests in my entire playing time. The one good thing about those though was it gave Dawn and May some use in the anime. I mean, Iris never really had much of a goal, nor did Misty. They both wanted to be their chosen type of Pokemom master and really both of them fell short of it. Brock and Cilan accomplished even less.

My comparison between Cilan/Iris and Clemont/Serena goes back to the Pokemon they have...or haven't really...caught. Brock/May at least had quiet a bit under their belts, as did Dawn. Serena has the dubious distinction of being the trainer who took the longest to catch even one Pokemon.

Really the truth is any fault anyone can find in the characters really goes back to the writers. I think one thing we can all agree on is that if we were writing the anime we'd all of done different things.

Well everyone has their opinion of mega evolution. I myself am okay with it but I'm not jumping for joy over it either. But between XY and ORAS...not to mention at least two anime spinoff shows devoted to mega evolution, I think it's safe to assume it's here to stay. Those who don't like it will have to either get used to it or not. But honestly can anyone else come up with another reason to bring back any of these characters, let alone all of them? The only thing I can think of for Misty/Dawn is going back to the Mirage Kingdom, and it's only relevant for the latter because she has a Togekiss. Or maybe Dawn could run across May in the Hoenn region but what would be the point behind it?

Everything at all that happens in the series is because of the writers; it's a fictional series. But just because some character flaw is the fault of the writers doesn't make those characters suddenly likeable. If a character is written as a crappy character, I'm not going to like them.

GarbodorLover said:
It's already been confirmed that Misty will never return (which is terrible), and I don't want the same thing to happen to everyone else!

I made a mistake when I said this, but it is common misconception that Misty will never return. In an interview, Masamitsu Hidaka (former director and storyboard artist for the anime) said that Misty will not be returning as a main character, but may appear as a guest character as she has in the past. (Emphasis on "may". She might reappear, she might not. We'll just have to hope that she does return.)

Not in order.
1. Ritchie: He shows up with fully evolved Pokémon and more mature. He would give Ash some advice and make Ash a little better trainer in every way.

2. Larvitar: During a trip to Johto with Lyra, Ash finds a Tyranitar who is friendly to him, Ash realizes it was the Larvitar he cared for. Tyranitar joins his party.

3. Dawn: I like her character and I want her Pachirisu (my favorite Pokémon) to have more screen time.

4. Hunter J from Sinnoh: She was really violent, she/her Pokémon actually tried to kill Ash. Looking foward to some fierce battles with her.

Leaf_Ranger said:
About Dawn, what Pikachu6319. To me, Dawn seemed like another female Contest character that had annoying characters (thankfully less than that psycho Cacturne freak).

Harley was one of the best rivals of the entire series, and the Contests were made more interesting because of him. May had the best interactions with her rivals for a female in the series.

Also I find it baffling you think the Contests make the girls weak, since they battled far more in Contests than any other goal and coordinators were always shown to be just as powerful in normal battles whenever they battled outside of contests.

Don't understand what your problem is with interesting character with memorable rival interactions. What's the point of characters without conflict or development? What the hell do you watch the show for then?

Back