Discussion Which Celestial Storm theme deck is better, Leaf Charge or Hydro Fury?

Mert

Aspiring Trainer
I think Hydro Fury has a slight edge because of the 1-1 Magcargo line.

My opinion is agaisnt other theme deck not about use the theme decks to build competitive decks

I origanally thought Swampert will be the favourite over Sceptile, draw 2 cards effect + Macargo you can pick the exact card you need is very powerful but apart from Swampert and maybe rotom it doesnt have another good fighter Abomasnow could take long without Aqua patch

Sceptile plays around keep energys on the with the field and would it very helpful the exp share and Lampert you maybe should not worry about energys being discarded and focus on charge big pokemons like Abomasnow, Start with Macnetric could be awesome especially if you get lady quickly, Oranguru is always a welcome card in any deck and dont forget that Guzma is the deadliest in all the deck

I had to say that Sceptile probably will be better deck between the two, Swampert had tons of draw power but without good fighter its pretty hard to do much and Sceptile had two copycats so even if the Swampert deck get massive hands Sceptile will benefit as well, sadly no more free retreat on this theme decks, skate board was very useful in the last 4 decks, can wait to test this 2 decks and the match ups will all the theme decks

Last edited:
While not useful against other theme decks, Sceptile also provides a barricade against Ultra Beasts, if you're worried about that.

Leaf Charge is definitely better since most of the attackers in Hydro Fury rely too much damage on opponent coditions or number of energy attach to the single pokemon itself. Not only that, Leaf Charge is one of the best theme deck to counter against Mach Strike. You can read more about Leaf Charge at here.

Last edited:
I'm assuming the OP means in their own Theme format.

Hydro Fury, by far. I'm about 80% with that deck. You can't beat the draw with Swampert, even without Magcargo. And the Frost Rotom is easy to get rolling and there to punish a Sceptile getting cheaky with energy attachments. You start Dunsparce and an energy (of which there are many outs to) and you basically win. The swapert line is easy to get out, you accelerate your last energy onto it with an Abamasnow, and just start dumping your extra energy onto the Abamasnow so it's ready in case your Swampert gets KO'd (and you somehow don't have two out already). And don't under estimate the effect that Marshtomp can have with Muddy water hitting the bench and Surf (I think) taking some early KO's if you have to.

Leaf Charge bricks constantly.

Last edited:
I've bee playing a lot of Leaf Charge in the Theme Format lately, because I've been on a run of [G] and [L] Daily Challenges. When Leaf Fury works, it works. You're probably looking at an overwhelming win or a very close loss... probably due to player error (yours) or luck (either player). I need to spend more time with Hydro Fury, to see if the games I've played using it so far are the norm or outliers, but for now...

Leaf Fury as multiple potent attackers, but also more moving pieces, making it more prone to misfiring. Hydro Fury has better "flow" but fewer worthwhile attackers.

Quick clarification here, do you mean better on its own in the theme format, or better to build a competitive deck around?

I personally feel that leaf charge is better. It can counter naganadel, ultra necrozma, and buzzwole. Also with a few tweaks it can hit for huge numbers.

I personally feel that leaf charge is better. It can counter naganadel, ultra necrozma, and buzzwole. Also with a few tweaks it can hit for huge numbers.

It can hit for huge numbers, but will it actually ever manage it in competitive play?

Remember, "Power of Nature" requires a Pokémon have a [G] Energy attached to protect itself. As we're out of the realm of the Theme Format and into Constructed play, seems worth pointing out that creates yet another gap in the protection. Ultra Beast focused decks just need enough non-Ultra Beast attackers, Guzma (for unprotected Pokémon), and possibly Energy removing cards. I mean, you'll need a [G] Energy on everything to totally wall... and if you only have one, "heads" on a Crushing Hammer, a TecH Plumeria, etc. remove your protection.

Swampert may only be about draw and (riskily) loading it with Energy for moderate damage (relative to the investment) but it is pretty straightforward in that regard. By the time your opponent has a chance to mess such things up, you've already used it. Well, maybe not the attack, though with Aqua Patch it'll take bad plays or bad luck to not get at least one Swampert swinging.

Back