When Do You Think Pokemon TCG Will Stop Being Printed on Paper?

The-Kaiser

Starfleet Captain and Pokemon Trainer
I was thinking about this at work since all my cards are not in binders anymore and might be a year or 3 till I have the $ for binders and proper pages. Im not sure if they'll use anything else in say 2025. I suppose they might switch to full digital only cards or plastic. Unless there printed on recycled paper I suppose paper cards could last for decades or more as for example just plain Poker or Black Jack playing cards have been printed since the 1500's.

I, personally, really love paper cards. Any other material and it wouldn't feel like a Pokemon card to me.

I think cards will be printed in paper as long as the society keeps using paper as its main writing material. When that changes, cards will probably stop being cards and it maybe it will become digital.

Well there is always the chance that in 2025 Pokemon will no longer be around. Granted that is only ten years from now and there doesn't seem to be any chance of that but one never knows.

That being said if we assume Pokemon is around at that point I have very little belief that it won't be in a print sort of medium. I mean if you think about plastic, it would just be a more flexible Pokemon card. That wouldn't really mean much against print. At least two other card games have already done that. A (possibly now defunct) card company called Score made card games based off DragonballZ and Buffy the Vampire Slayer and they had a handful of plastic cards which were called essences in Buffy, not sure with DBZ since I didn't play it.

As for digital it could happen but it wouldn't be the same. But if one considers that we access digital cards that come from online codes found in printed booster packs I don't know how one would go about it. It's hard to find the right kind of 'charge' for digital products and there are people out there who wouldn't pay for that kind of thing regardless.

I feel like switching the card game over to some sort of digital format would really hurt collectors. I don't see why you buy digital booster packs if you're not going to play. You can't put them in binders to show off to all of your friends. You can't put them in cool places like your wallet. You can't make Christmas ornaments out of them like that one guy on Virbank. It would be kind of cool to play like that, but I don't think it would be the same for collectors.

Also with digital how would one define rarities? I mean with physical cards there is more money to print, say the ultra rare FA Primal Kyogre EX as opposed to a common Tentacool. But with digital cards why should it be a big deal to pull that same card. It takes basically the same thing to 'make' the ultra rare as it does the common.

It's been a while since I've been on the Pokemon OCG site, but the thrill I feel at opening a genuine pack and finding something good (like the last FA Pokemon Center Lady I pulled from my last pack) or even the slight dissapointment of getting nothing that good, is just not present there. I mean why do I care if I pull a good card if I can't show off if I so choose.

If they stop printing cards then Pokemon would be dying. Not everyone is interested in digital play anyway. Digital play take the fun out of collecting the cards. You have more fun when you collect the paper cards. Digital cards do not look as good as the real cards XD.:)

Pikachu6319 said:
Also with digital how would one define rarities? I mean with physical cards there is more money to print, say the ultra rare FA Primal Kyogre EX as opposed to a common Tentacool. But with digital cards why should it be a big deal to pull that same card. It takes basically the same thing to 'make' the ultra rare as it does the common.

Why would rarities change? Rarities are already artificially assigned by TPCi and have nothing to do with the relative printing costs of certain cards. A card is rare or not because it has been designed to be rare, and therefore you'll only get 1 card of that type per every X packs.

While I think it's likely that the Pokémon TCG will become digital only at some point down the road, I think that 1) it will be a long ways off, too far in advance from now to actually estimate or speculate on, and B) it won't be done until they're not making any money off the cards anymore, and 3) Pokémon TCG switching to digital only will effectively be the same thing as the Pokémon TCG stopping/dying. There's a limit to how much people will play for digital-only goods with dubious usefulness. Collectors certainly won't continue to collect, and I can imagine players also would be less likely to pay a significant amount for digital cards.

The fact that collectors would most likely stop is connected to the rarities. I'm not saying rarities would change I'm just saying that at least to me it wouldn't have the same impact, as I said it's not as much fun to pull a digital full art EX as it is to pull a physical full art EX. While rarities are already aritificial it means more on a physical level than on a digital level since programming in a full art EX is basically the same amount of effort as a common card, at least I think.

I hadn't thought of it but I agree that switching that digital would be the equivalent of the end of the Pokemon. Alot of the card games were originally called CCG which could either mean customizable card game or collectible card game. Going digital for Pokemon or any other card game would largely kill off the collectible aspect. Digital cards just aren't much fun unless you're a hardcore player. That might be part of the reason we've never seen more than two video games for the Pokemon TCG, one of which never even got out of Japan.

And as you said there is a limit to how much people will pay for digital stuff with limited use. That's a dilemma already being faced with video games, where a huge chunk of video games are charging for add ons to games like skins, add on chapters, extra items, and that kind of thing. Each player then has to decide if it's worth shelling out the .99 to 5.99 on average price for these things on top of the 40.00 to 60.00 they already paid for it. Anyone here do that regulary? Oppose it regularly? Or case by case base it like I do?

Pikachu6319 said:
The fact that collectors would most likely stop is connected to the rarities. I'm not saying rarities would change I'm just saying that at least to me it wouldn't have the same impact, as I said it's not as much fun to pull a digital full art EX as it is to pull a physical full art EX. While rarities are already aritificial it means more on a physical level than on a digital level since programming in a full art EX is basically the same amount of effort as a common card, at least I think.

You are very correct that it wouldn't have the same impact (which is, in some ways, why code cards and cards on PTCGO are worth so much less than their physical card counterparts), but that doesn't mean it would change and has absolutely nothing to do with programming or printing. A lot of it is simply the way the Pokémon TCG (and other similar card games) are designed. The only other way the system would work is if there were absolutely no rarities or any costs at all associated with getting any card, like many of the fan-based TCG simulators. I don't see Pokémon going down that path because it would generate absolutely no revenue (aside from maybe ads) whereas the official PTCGO is likely making some revenue at least.

And as you said there is a limit to how much people will pay for digital stuff with limited use. That's a dilemma already being faced with video games, where a huge chunk of video games are charging for add ons to games like skins, add on chapters, extra items, and that kind of thing. Each player then has to decide if it's worth shelling out the .99 to 5.99 on average price for these things on top of the 40.00 to 60.00 they already paid for it. Anyone here do that regulary? Oppose it regularly? Or case by case base it like I do?

While I think this would be a very interesting topic to discuss, I don't think it really belongs here in this thread. Maybe make a thread about it in Misc. discussion (where we generally put non-long-term video game questions) for people to contribute? I would, at least. :D

Yeah, I should make a thread for that :) side thing, thread made lolz

My point about that though is just that for lots of people making the Pokemon card game go completley digital just wouldn't be worth it if they want to keep any sort of profit. Going fully digital for it would be the equivalent of a death sentence to the card game.

Honestly I just don't think Pokemon will ever stop being printed. The most that could happen might be for them to print on plastic rather than paper. Which in itself I think might be kind of cool going by the essence cards I mentioned earlier in the Buffy ccg game. But those were like 4-8 cards out of the entire 137 to 220+ set. To do that for a whole set of cards, albeit on a slightly smaller scale since Primal Clash is the highest to date at 160, would also undoubtfully raise the price and that would cause alot of people to give up on the game as well (not as much as full digital though) and that might be enough to not pursue the plastic route either.

I hope by 2030+ it's cheap to mass produce thin flexible displays, and that can have the card images. And EX's would be animated, or make sounds when you attack. If there's an error for any card, instead of errata they would just send an update or something and get rid of the error.

I don't know about them being printed on plastic, because I thought we were trying to figure out ways to use less oil right now. I guess the same can be said about trees, though. Honestly, as long as the cards are still something tangible and not a bunch of electrons, I'm fine with it.

DreamingMunna said:
I hope by 2030+ it's cheap to mass produce thin flexible displays, and that can have the card images. And EX's would be animated, or make sounds when you attack. If there's an error for any card, instead of errata they would just send an update or something and get rid of the error.

I can't see this ever happening. It'll still need power so you'd have to either charge it or it'll have a battery in it which means it will eventually run out. If it's going to get updates from the net it'll need an antenna and a UI so you can get it onto the wifi. Also flexible displays might be cheap, but I can't see them being cheaper than paper. You never know though, maybe I'm just being a caveman :).

I think we'll see better laminating technology but that's about it. If it ever goes purely digital it'll be because the game is failing and this is a last ditch effort to save it. Much the same way as subscription MMOs go free to play when they're dying.

xxashxx said:
If they stop printing cards then Pokemon would be dying. Not everyone is interested in digital play anyway. Digital play take the fun out of collecting the cards. You have more fun when you collect the paper cards. Digital cards do not look as good as the real cards XD.:)

The problem with digital play is that you don't get the same kind of social interaction as you would with physical play otherwise you're basically playing a video game with online multiplayer much like Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft and Infinity Wars that tries to label themselves as card games when they're not. Magic Online and Duels of the Planeswalkers was a "cute" attempt on Wizards of the Coast's part but at the end of the day I'd still prefer to play paper MTG over digital MTG, same goes for every Trading Card Game / Collectible Card Game that's either discontinued or currently in circulation in the secondary market right now.

Pikachu6319 said:
A (possibly now defunct) card company called Score made card games based off DragonballZ and Buffy the Vampire Slayer and they had a handful of plastic cards which were called essences in Buffy, not sure with DBZ since I didn't play it.

Panini America recently bought the rights to the DBZ card game from Score Entertainment and brought the game back just last year with plans underway to establish organized play and sanctioned tournaments with plenty of prize support as well. One guy I heard from was actually skeptical about this saying that Panini probably would've been better off relaunching the game as a LCG (Living Card Game) instead of as a TCG/CCG (Trading Card Game / Collectible Card Game) since there's not enough supply to meet initial demand given how popular of a brand DBZ is.

Just look at the WWE Supercard game as an example of how the future of TCGs in general might become.
There's no real cards, yet people spend a LOT of $ to try to get better cards.
Myself included.

With the online portion of the Pokemon TCG being on iPad, it's not too much longer for it to be on iPhone & Android stuff as well.

I wouldn't use Supercard as an example of where TCGs are heading. Supercard is a "Card Battler" rather than a TCG which is a completely different kind of game.

The joy in a card battler comes from continually gaining better and better cards and grinding away against the AI and sacrificing your weaker cards to get them. It's mindless but enjoyable and people do spend plenty money on them. There is very little skill involved in Supercard, it's all about how much time (or money) you put in.

A TCG involves decision making and has less of a simple "card X is better than card Y is better than card Z" mechanic.

Card Slinger J said:
xxashxx said:

The problem with digital play is that you don't get the same kind of social interaction as you would with physical play otherwise you're basically playing a video game with online multiplayer much like Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft and Infinity Wars that tries to label themselves as card games when they're not. Magic Online and Duels of the Planeswalkers was a "cute" attempt on Wizards of the Coast's part but at the end of the day I'd still prefer to play paper MTG over digital MTG, same goes for every Trading Card Game / Collectible Card Game that's either discontinued or currently in circulation in the secondary market right now.

Pikachu6319 said:
A (possibly now defunct) card company called Score made card games based off DragonballZ and Buffy the Vampire Slayer and they had a handful of plastic cards which were called essences in Buffy, not sure with DBZ since I didn't play it.

Panini America recently bought the rights to the DBZ card game from Score Entertainment and brought the game back just last year with plans underway to establish organized play and sanctioned tournaments with plenty of prize support as well. One guy I heard from was actually skeptical about this saying that Panini probably would've been better off relaunching the game as a LCG (Living Card Game) instead of as a TCG/CCG (Trading Card Game / Collectible Card Game) since there's not enough supply to meet the demand given how popular of a brand DBZ is.

That's true. People are always trying to make it so less interaction with people is better. They are trying to make it so everyone interacts with digital devices of every kind which is very bad in my opinion. Looking at a screen VS paper card play is not the way to go. It is better to interact with people anyway. That is why most people are not knowledgeable anymore as well too. Before smartphones people were more knowledgeable than they are now.:)

Slinger J: Actually I kind of agree there. Panini should just relaunch a new card game rather than try to pick up where Score left off. I speak from some experience there but this isn't the thread to get into that.

Though of course any tcg/ccg, be it Pokemon, Yugioh, DBZ, Buffy, or whatever should stay as live interaction. We already have enough online interaction through games and stuff, not to mention here, and yet not a lot of people are as socially adept as they should be. Alot of online video games are proof of that.

Yeah online play takes the fun out of natural play. See until the smartphone came out we had more physical play than we do now. I can see having a tablet but not a smartphone for instance. Most tablets don't charge for data like a smartphone does for online use. But still physical play is the best way to go anyway.:)

Back