Help When are previous printings of a card legal in Expanded?

handsomep

Aspiring Trainer
For older cards (e.g. from Base set) to be legal in Expanded, there must exist a newer printing from a set that IS legal in Expanded AND the card text and attributes in the older printing must be the same as the newer printing. Is that correct?

So while Computer Search from Boundaries Crossed is legal in Expanded, Computer Search from Base set is NOT, because the newer printing is an Ace Spec card and the older printing is not?

Last edited:
For older cards (e.g. from Base set) to be legal in Expanded, there must exist a newer printing from a set that IS legal in Expanded AND the card text and attributes in the older printing must be the same as the newer printing. Is that correct?

So while Computer Search from Boundaries Crossed is legal in Expanded, Computer Search from Base set is NOT, because the newer printing is an Ace Spec card and the older printing is not?
Old cards like Base Set will never be legal in Expanded. The closest thing would be like using cards from Evolutions set. Also, the classic reprint subset of Celebrations is Not legal for official play.
This is mainly because wording has changed thru the years, as different mechanics come and go, not to mention power creep as well.
As a rule of thumb, always play with the most recent version of a card - use the Ace Spec Computer Search in Expanded.
Awesome to see you again. Hope this helps :)

I believe (and please correct me if I'm wrong) that it's more nuanced than that. SOME cards from Base Set ARE legal in Expanded (e.g. Switch, Double Colorless Energy, etc.) at least according to what I've read:

but it's a very small subset, and Computer Search is not among those that are legal.

Back