What's Your Favorite Season From the Anime?

JoshB

The math didn't work out
A popular topic in the Pokemon World, people debate over what their favorite season from the anime was. A lot of people know what everyone's least favorite is, Black and White. But what about the other end of the Spectrum? Even I don't know what other viewers of the anime think, so enlighten me and discuss!

I personally found Hoenn to be the best season. Some people disagree saying that the Misty/Brock duo made Johto and Kanto the best. Honestly, Misty and Brock are the best characters from all the seasons, but their is something about having 4 people instead of 3 that got me hooked. Also, seeing the contests for the first time was great! I know Dawn also does them, but Hoenn came first so I connected with it rather than Sinnoh. Plus, at least Brock made it to Hoenn anyways! :D

Last edited:
Like you I like Hoenn too, but my personal favorite is Johto. Johto is my favorite season from the anime for multiple reasons. One reason being, HeartGold/SoulSilver was the first Pokemon game I ever played. So Johto is the region where I first got involved, and started loving Pokemon. Also some of my favorite Pokemon come from Johto, like Rapidash and the Eeveelutions. So seeing them in the anime is really cool! The last reason I like Johto is because I think Team Rocket is the funniest in it.

Last edited:
Rapidash is a first gen Kanto Pokémon, as our Vaporen, Jolten, and Flareon. Only Espeon and Umbreon are Johto Pokémon.

I think Hoenn is my favorite because that's the first we saw the bulk of Ash's team actually evolve (bar Charizard and Pidgeot who left not long after or sooner.) Plus I like May more than Misty honestly.

Ironically when it comes to Team Rocket I liked them better in the early days of BW when they actually seemed like the could be a legitimate threat instead of clowns.

This is a tough one...the first is the first and the one with more Pokémon nostalgia value. To this day, who doesn't remember the intro song?
Kanto also had my two faovrite episode, the first being the ghost of Maiden's peak and the second the one about Ninetales and Brock.

Yeah, my favorite is definitely the first, with Johto being second mostly due to being a region very connected to Kanto and the lore in t is simply amazing. Misty was somehow a female character that future ones were never able to surpass.
Hoenn comes third because despite liking the gang's team and region, May and Max were annoying sometimes and Brock's gag was already getting tiresome.

I only started watching the anime two years ago, so the earlier seasons don't have any nostalgia value to me. Also, I'm only about 20 episodes into season 10 and haven't seen any episodes from that point onward yet. So out of the 9 seasons I've fully watched, I'd have to say that my favorite seasons were the Hoenn seasons (6-9). There are so many things I love about these seasons! There were 4 main characters instead of 3, and each of them got equal focus, more or less. May's contest subplot kept me invested as much as, if not more than the main plot, and I was always wondering what would happen next. With two plots going side by side at the same time, the story moved extremely quickly with very little filler episodes (I'm looking at you, Johto.). Both the comedy and animation were great, and the Battle Frontier was interesting in that it was the only story arc not to focus on the Pokemon League. (Speaking of the Battle Frontier, am I the only one who likes the new voice actors/new Team Rocket motto?) Another little detail I appreciate is that even the Pokemon got equal screentime, unlike other ones in Gens 1 and 2 (Lickitung, Horsea, and Zubat just to name a few.). If I could say anything bad about these seasons, it's that one, it's the only gen where Ash doesn't have a rival, and two, the writing was a bit cheesy at times (probably because I watch the dub.).

Sinnoh is my preferred one, I find Misty overrated and think nostalgia is taken way too far in some cases. I'm in 20s and started with the original series but it doesn't have much of a special place for me. Brock's awesome but May and Dawn were so much better than Misty.

DP was so much more mature in its characters and major story arcs, there were great moments, great visuals and all in all so much more memorable.

I think my preferred is Sinnoh. I love all the new Pokémon introduced in this generation and saw them in the anime was amazing! Yeah i know it has so many fillers but i like. And the end of the season was epic. I never watched Pokemon anime again after this season.

Its an almost tie between Kanto/Orange Islands, AG, and DP. XY is getting up there close with them too.

Johto had some good episodes as well but got bogged down with too much repetitive filler at times. BW was OK, but definitely one of the weaker seasons.

Back