Discussion What's Your Favorite Format of All Time?

GamePhoenix

Fellow Mortal
Ok, so I just a curious what the most popular format of all time is. As I have really only played in 2017-2018 Standard and Expanded I would have to say the current Standard.

PokeMedic

Don't talk to me or my Pokemon ever again
Articles Staff
The format MD-on was my favorite. It's when my heart and energy was into Pokemon the most.

Jabberwock

#Jovimohnaeliackvid
Forum Mod
Articles Staff
I started playing in mid-2012 (HS-NXD) as a Junior, which was one of the most degenerate formats ever (Mewtwo wars wheee) save for like Gym and a couple other WotC formats. At my first Regionals I played ZekEels, went up against Durant R1, and lost pretty badly, lol. The rest of it was a lot of fun, though.

That said, not long afterward, a bunch of friends of mine (most of whom had been playing since '08 or earlier) started to despair of Basic-dominated formats and build old decks from their favorite eras (and some from times before they started playing). Long story short, they got me into it, I started building old decks, and found old formats ridiculously fun. Most of my old decks right now are from DP-UL ('10) and MD-on (the first half of '11, before the emergency rotation), but I've also got a few from other formats (Base-Rocket, '05, '08, '12). I've also played a solid amount of other formats using friends' decks. I'd say my favorite would also have to be MD-on, like @PokeMedic. It's just so diverse in terms of decks, techs, and strategies that there are a thousand different ways to play the format, and they're all awesome.

I think in general, people consider DP-on ('09 and '10) to be some of the best––if not the best––formats the game has ever had. Games were intensely skill-based and could sometimes last an hour or so. Claydol GE, Uxie LA, and Broken Time-Space all existing in the same format allowed people to do insane things that in pretty much any other format would've been impossible. A friend of mine had this '09 Flygon list at one point that ran four Stage 2 lines––Flygon RR, Nidoqueen RR, Dusknoir DP, and Machamp SF––and he totally got away with it because the draw support in that era just made the deck consistent enough to work.

RisingRaichuu

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
Considering I haven't been palaying for long, I'd say:
Favourite-PRC-GRI
Least favourite-BCR-ROS prior to LTC ban (even though I got T8 Nationals in that format)