What's a Good Game to Start Playing Again?

Team Rocket Fan

Team Rocket Lover and Humble Katy Cat!
So I stopped playing for a while in order to make myself interested in Pokemon games again. I want a fresh start. I follow the XY anime but I gave my 3DS to a friend recently so I can't play X or Y or my AS. I'll play something in Emulator but I need a game I can't choose. My favourites besides 3DS are HGSS, FireRed and LeafGreen as well as Emerald and maybe Platinum. I have played anything except for Red/Blue, Yellow, and I middle-finished BW2/Gold/Silver and Crystal. I heard Yellow is pretty fun and I would like to taste the old-school games. Any advice?

If the games that you haven't played or haven't finished are RBY, BW2 and GSC and you have played HGSS already, then I would drop GSC since you are looking for something fresh. Red and Blue are great games that I think you should play but if you want something new and not similar to the other games like X&Y, I think you should go for either Yellow or BW2. I don't think that they are drastically different from the other games but they do have things that aren't shown in any game so far. Yellow is based on the anime and from what I know about you, you love team Rocket so I think Yellow is the best for you.
To put it simple: In Pokemon Yellow, you battle Jessy and James. ;)

I heard Yellow is pretty fun and I would like to taste the old-school games.

I think you just answered your own question right here. :p

If you want to go old-school and you enjoy the anime, Yellow is definitely a fun game to go for. It plays almost identically to R/B, but the difficulty is a bit higher with Pikachu as your starter. Like the anime, Pikachu makes his "Pika!" cry and follows you around instead of being in a Poké Ball, Gary Oak gets an Eevee, and Jessie and James also appear quite frequently instead of generic TR grunts. You can still get the regular starter Pokémon in little sidequests/events during the game.

For the more recent games, I do think BW2 is worth giving another shot and finishing, too.

I think you just answered your own question right here. :p

If you want to go old-school and you enjoy the anime, Yellow is definitely a fun game to go for. It plays almost identically to R/B, but the difficulty is a bit higher with Pikachu as your starter. Like the anime, Pikachu makes his "Pika!" cry and follows you around instead of being in a Poké Ball, Gary Oak gets an Eevee, and Jessie and James also appear quite frequently instead of generic TR grunts. You can still get the regular starter Pokémon in little sidequests/events during the game.

For the more recent games, I do think BW2 is worth giving another shot and finishing, too.
Thanx! I'll go with Yellow! :)

I personally wouldn't recommend Shuffle either but to each their own.

Anyway, the posts above already have good suggestions for main games. As far as spinoffs though, I'd recommend the following:

Colosseum
XD
Mystery Dungeon Explorers of Sky
Ranger Shadows of Almia
Ranger Guardian Signs

Back