Strategy What Team Do You Want to Use in 7th Gen Competitive?

Araquanid might actually be a bit better than what we gave it credit for. Water Bubble is essentially Water Sport and Veil rolled into one, and it doubles the power of Water-type moves, so Liquidation will be hitting pretty hard. Alternatively, it gets Entrainment so it can give its abilities to others that pack an even bigger punch (ie Swampert, etc).

Araquanid might actually be a bit better than what we gave it credit for. Water Bubble is essentially Water Sport and Veil rolled into one, and it doubles the power of Water-type moves, so Liquidation will be hitting pretty hard. Alternatively, it gets Entrainment so it can give its abilities to others that pack an even bigger punch (ie Swampert, etc).

I just read the same. That totally makes everything about it different. You can just double it's base 70 attack stat because of this which would then max out at about 520 which is absurdly high. Give it a choice band and it hits 780 while also being very defensive on the special side.

I already thought it's design was too good for such an apparantly shitty Pokemon..

A CB set would be awesome. It even gets Leech Life as a form of recovery, which comes with nice overall bulk. Scald can be used to burn the opponent, and thanks to Water Bubble it can hit nice damage even on a physical set, I think.

A CB set would be awesome. It even gets Leech Life as a form of recovery, which comes with nice overall bulk. Scald can be used to burn the opponent, and thanks to Water Bubble it can hit nice damage even on a physical set, I think.

Definitely. Just a shame it only works on Water attacks. It's leech life will still be quite powerless.. Maybe the best way to go with it is actually special (with a massive 160 BP Scald for burns) instead of Physical because bulky water types will counter it pretty hard otherwise, as do dragons.

Not sure how good it will be. Because of this ability it might be pretty predictable and that's never a good thing. Still a lot better than I initially thought.

Definitely. Just a shame it only works on Water attacks. It's leech life will still be quite powerless.. Maybe the best way to go with it is actually special (with a massive 160 BP Scald for burns) instead of Physical because bulky water types will counter it pretty hard otherwise, as do dragons.

Not sure how good it will be. Because of this ability it might be pretty predictable and that's never a good thing. Still a lot better than I initially thought.

I think it can be good:

252+ Atk Choice Band Araquanid Leech Life vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Latios: 344-408 (114.2 - 135.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Araquanid Leech Life vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Latias: 242-288 (66.4 - 79.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Choice Band Araquanid Leech Life vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Tangrowth: 236-282 (58.4 - 69.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

If it goes special, it still has the same problem with non Water type moves + less BST on the special side.

I think it can be good:

252+ Atk Choice Band Araquanid Leech Life vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Latios: 344-408 (114.2 - 135.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Araquanid Leech Life vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Latias: 242-288 (66.4 - 79.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Choice Band Araquanid Leech Life vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Tangrowth: 236-282 (58.4 - 69.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

If it goes special, it still has the same problem with non Water type moves + less BST on the special side.

Nice calcs. That does look better than I expected. Still, my experience in the previous metagame was that physical attackers have to hit really hard, or carry Swords Dance to be even a little effective because everyone carried either Defensive Suicune, Defensive Cresselia, Defensive Porygon 2 or Defensive Ferrothorn. It would get walled pretty hard by all of those, even Cresselia (missing the 2 hit KO) despite being super effective..

And then there is the disadvantage of being locked into a not that strong bug type move. Heatran comes in (example) sets up a sub, gets annoying with Toxic.. I think there are lots of Pokemon able to take advantage of that. Fun fact is that Liquidation hits harder than Leech Life if it's not very effective vs neutral, or neutral vs super effective..

The last problem I see is that it's sooo slow and it doesn't outright KO threats like Garchomp. It will normally have to take a hit and it's Defense/HP are lacking. A strong stone edge means goodbye and so does Stealth Rock more or less so switching in and out can also be problematic. Trick Room will not change it's problems mostly because the mentioned walls remain, and it's tricky (haha) to set up reliably.

I think I would go like this;

Specially defensive; 252 HP/252 Sdef @ Leftovers
Leech life/protect (for extra recovery)
Scald/Liquidation (depending on what the team needs; power vs burns)
Substitute
Toxic/Mirror Coat (Mirror Coat can be a nasty suprise for Electric types, but my guess is it'll get mostly Rock Slided/Stone Edged)

Idea would be to come in on a special attacker (almost anyone), set a sub on the switch and either toxic or scald/liquidation the incoming mon. Then either switch or use Leech Life/Protect for recovery depending on what came in. Tapu Fini will be a massive counter to this, but yeah..

Back