ORAS What Significance Could Alpha & Omega Have in OR / AS? - Groudon / Kyogre Designs

Shining Raikou

Your friendly neighborhood Raikou fan!
Elite Member
Advanced Member
As you notice in the box art for the games, Groudon and Kyogre's designs have either changed or these are their Mega evolutions / new formes. As you can see, Groudon's arms now have an "Omega" symbol (Ω) on them. As for Kyogre, it's "fins" or "wings" now have an Alpha symbol (A) on them.

This raises the question, what significance could Alpha and Omega have in the games? Will the storyline change from R / S? Have a connection to X / Y? Speculate below!

Alpha is usually a word used to describe a beginning, while Omega is used to describe the end. Perhaps we could be dealing with a creation theme in the games where Archie/Maxie have created a new world with their legendary Pokemon and the player has to end it. Perhaps to get more significant to the story, Archie is the one who is creating a new world in Alpha Sapphire and Maxie is wanting to end the old world in Omega Ruby. Rain can be seen as a symbol of life (water gives plants life) whereas heat can be seen as a possible symbol for destruction.

Something seems significant about the markings for sure. Ho-oh and Lugia didn't get any special design treatment with their remakes so I doubt these are just improving designs. They're also advertising the games as "a new world" so I don't think we're in the same ol' Hoenn before.

Hopefully it's not a "Whole new world" but a slightly changed and advance Hoenn. I really don't think that GF and Nintendo will just throw us the megas of Groudon and Kyogre on the cover. I really do hope they have megas but not just revealed so quickly on the front cover. It really could just a form of 'em and they might not even get megas at all D:

As I said in the news thread:

Mega evolutions concept was like the next step from previous "prefix formes" as a kind of generic for-the-heck-of-it forme they could add to any pokemon they wanted without some unique reason. With something like mascots though, there is no reason to resort to giving them megas, when they can stick to proper formes.

So I predict that in the same vein as Rotoms, "Therians" and Kyurems, these two will be called Omega Groudon and Alpha Kyogre instead of having a boring "mega" added in front of their names.

However its entirely plausible that these formes will be triggered in a similar manner to Mega evolutions...by holding the Blue/Red orb and perhaps some other requirement or key item.

It does raise plenty of questions though. What about Rayquaza?... and there is no obvious greek symbol for it either. Unless there would be an Omega and an Alpha Rayquaza but lets not even go there lol...

Let's not hope that Omega is the last Pokémon VG.

Perhaps in Alpha Saphhire they will focus on the past of Hoenn. It can shed more light on how the region originated and the history between Groudon, Kyogre, and Rayquaza. Omega Ruby would then focus on the future and share more information about what life in Hoenn will be like after the story.

It's just a thought. :p I would actually enjoy learning more about the history of Hoenn and its Legendary Pokémon, but I'm not sure how they would create a story that focuses on the future.

I'm almost sure there will be some connection to Kalos with all the nostalgic comments we got in Pokémon X and Pokémon Y. Originally Mega Pokémon were only able to exist in Kalos, but something might happen in the story that allows Mega Evolution outside of the Kalos region.

I feel like those are mega evolutions or some kind of 'origin form' for Kyogre or Groudon. Bulbapedia claims that the story will not change much. If so, 99% chance we're getting mega evolutions (or something new)

Drohn said:
I'm almost sure there will be some connection to Kalos with all the nostalgic comments we got in Pokémon X and Pokémon Y. Originally Mega Pokémon were only able to exist in Kalos, but something might happen in the story that allows Mega Evolution outside of the Kalos region.

I don't think it was explicitly mentioned that Mega Evolutions were only able to exist in Kalos, but rather it wasn't found anywhere else (which was just for consistency reasons). It's a given that they'll all appear in ORAS (and other future games for that matter), possibly having something to do with Steven or something.

For the Alpha/Omega thing, I'm gonna assume that the Red/Blue Orbs have some kind of effect (either a forme change or Mega Evolution) on Kyogre/Groudon, turning them into Alpha Kyogre/Omega Groudon or something.

Couldn't the red/blue orbs be mega stones? We just couldn't use them because we had no mega ring. The same May be true for the Soul Dew. Just putting that out there.

I feel like the new designs are sorta like a White/Black Kyurem situation. Maybe there will be an Alpha and Omega Pokemon introduced and they will be combined with Groudon and Kyogre respectively to create Alpha Kyogre and Omega Groudon? Who knows!

What's if it's Rayquaza that combines with either legendary to create Omega Groudon and Alpha Kyogre?

I'm thinking that it might have something to do with Mt. Pyre and the Cave of Origin. If Alpha and Omega have the meaning of beginning and ending, then those places would fit. Also, Mt. Pyre is where the orbs were and the Cave of Origin was where back in S/R, the Pokémon was sleeping but in Emerald the duel took place at the entrance.
Rayquaza's role in all of this?...That is something I can't come up with. Again, could be the balance between the two, since it's the trio's master.

Athena said:
What's if it's Rayquaza that combines with either legendary to create Omega Groudon and Alpha Kyogre?

I support this idea since Kyogre seems to have Rayquaza's yellow rings shining beneath its own former markings and Groudon also seems to have those yellow rings, like Rayquaza's energy (or body) is flowing inside them and giving them strengh. In Groudon, it seems lava is flowing alongside them and in Kyogre, it seems like water (the light blue).
Also, their eyes make them seem like possessed, which left me wandering the first time I saw them as if Rayquaza is behind it.

""The Japanese arm of The Pokémon Company sent out an e-mail to all Daisuki Club members which ends up pointing out the differences to Groudon & Kyogre on the box-art, stating that they're showcasing "never before seen Pokémon", the same terminology they used for Black & White Kyurem, as well as Mega Mewtwo Y upon their reveal, indicating that they are more than stylised artwork of the Pokémon"
This is from Serebii.net , but this pretty much confirmed that its a new form/mega or some new thing.

If they are new forms then it likely means that there will be some story alterations. Wonder how much?

Edit: It could be like Xerneas's forms.

They are alternate forms; whether or not they are purely cosmetic as xerneas's, or bring boosts like kyurem's is yet to be seen.

As said before, they are like that because of the orbs; GF hadn't gotten the hang of the potential of forms back then; they were just testing the waters with castform and deoxys... so now they get to revise the story; groudon and kyogre never seemed the harbingers of destruction they were said to be in the games, so now they get a much deserved overhaul.

How they will fit rayquaza I don't know; his role made sense in R/S, as in emerald, but they can't fuse the plots as in HGSS this time, and apparently they won't bother making one from scratch, so...

I would say that Omega and Alpha could be a new form of mega evolution. Nah, I kid. Things would be too complex if they put another form of mega forms.

In any case, I would hope that the Red/Blue Orb can be used to achieve these new forms as it would be too lazy to come up with a Groundonite or Kyorgite.

my theory is that these new forms aren't mega evolutions but rather new forms like giratina. i'd like to call them Omega Groudon and Alpha Kyogre. think of it more as a power up/super saiyan form then a transformation/mega evolution.only difference is that they are like mega evolutions where they only last the battle and not indefinitely.

DrEspeon said:
Couldn't the red/blue orbs be mega stones? We just couldn't use them because we had no mega ring. The same May be true for the Soul Dew. Just putting that out there.

While it makes some sense, I'm not completely sold on the idea that Omega Groudon and Alpha Kyogre are Mega Evolutions (as opposed to just new forme changes). If they do turn out to be Megas, though, I like the idea of using the red/blue orbs instead of new stones.

I believe Latiosite and Latiasite have been found via hacking, so I'm not as sure regarding Soul Dew's effect, but that's neither here nor there.

CMP said:
DrEspeon said:

While it makes some sense, I'm not completely sold on the idea that Omega Groudon and Alpha Kyogre are Mega Evolutions (as opposed to just new forme changes). If they do turn out to be Megas, though, I like the idea of using the red/blue orbs instead of new stones.

I believe Latiosite and Latiasite have been found via hacking, so I'm not as sure regarding Soul Dew's effect, but that's neither here nor there.

Even if the're just form changes instead of Mega's, aren't they really just the same thing??? Like, they have slightly varied art with slightly boosted stats. Or is their a larger difference that I'm not understanding???

The Soul Dew already increased Lati@s' power without Mega Evolving, so I don't think they will now change it to a Mega Stone. The Red and Blue orb were also already used for different purposes so I think it would be weird if they change it to Mega Stones all of the sudden. If I recall correctly, we weren't able to give the orbs to the legendary Pokémon as held items in past games. Perhaps they would trigger the legendary Pokémon to transform into a new forms, rather than a Mega Evolution.

So, my apologies if this isn't as relevant as I see it as, but I decided to point out all the differences I could spot between their new designs on the new box art, and some older, officially released art (in this case, DW art and one Sugimori work.). I hope it's of some use in here. =]

http://i60.tinypic.com/wb6tte.png

Back