Pokemon What Pokemon are Overused?

The Ultimate Umbreon

To Ultra space and beyond!
There are many Pokemon but it seems like some see more light than others...

Starting off here, a recent entry in Bewear. He shows up every other episode in the SM anime and has seen a ton of TCG attention.

Last edited by a moderator:

SmiteKnight

Destroying half the universe one snap at a time
Charizard...
I like him...
But i hate how much attention PTCi pays to him and no the the other kanto starters (especially in the games: why does he get two megas? And both are really good?)

Tyler Beta

Fookin' laser sights!!!!
Pikachu is VERY overused in the anime, video games, and tcg, Meowth is slightly over used. An underused Pokemon that I don't think have seen in the anime yet is Phione.

Aspiring Trainer
Pokemon like Mewtwo, Lucario & Greninja are very overused, especially by fans of Pokemon.

Sheimeix

Aspiring Trainer
http://www.smogon.com/dex/sm/formats/ou/

/s

Obvious mascot tier stuff like Pikachu, Lucario, Charizard, etc... See more light than others due to being overwhelmingly popular, but that kind of creates a feedback loop that supports itself. If half the products are Lucario themed, then half the sales are for Lucario- so the audience must love Lucario! Let's increase that to 60% of products... It's why some Pokemon will always be the 'super cool popular badass' Pokemon. Every generation will introduce one or two of these, plus a few fan favorites that people like because it's cute (Mimikyu and Vulpix-alola being the most recent examples).

If I had to make a list of 'Pokemon that are too popular for their own good" it would probably look like this...

*Debatable as to if it should be on the list

Charizard
Pikachu
Vulpix-alola*
Gyarados
Lapras
Ditto
Eevee (all eeveeloutions apply)
Snorlax
Mewtwo
Mew

Scizor*

Blaziken
Gardevoir
Metagross*

Garchomp
Lucario
Gallade
Rotom

Zoroark

Greninja
Espurr+Meowstic*
Aegislash*
Goomy

Bewear*
Golisopod
Type: Null+Silvally
Mimikyu
Tapu Koko

I've obviously left a couple extras out (Cosmog, for example) because it didn't necessarily feel like Cosmog merch is being pushed out for the sake of pushing it out, unlike some of the Pokemon above. Also interesting to note, I felt that Gen 2 only had one Pokemon that could be put on this list- and even then, it's still pretty questionable.

Attix

Electric Delivery Driver from Washington
Gen I in general. Yeah, I get it's the one that started it all and it's the most recognizable by those outside the fandom, but newer Pokémon deserve some time in the spotlight, too. This even extends to Kanto as a whole: Gen VI is the only one that features no Kanto characters. It's as if the global government is seated in Saffron City or something.

PlatinumDude

Aspiring Trainer
Pikachu is VERY overused in the anime, video games, and tcg, Meowth is slightly over used. An underused Pokemon that I don't think have seen in the anime yet is Phione.
Phione made its only anime appearance in an episode of the Diamond/Pearl series.

Anyway, I think Gardevoir is one of the overused Pokemon, as it got a Mega Evolution, which was was represented twice in the TCG in two different cards (in Primal Clash and Steam Siege), is a playable character in Pokken Tournament, and an assist Pokemon in Smash Bros.

Also agreeing with Bewear as it got way too much love in the early Sun/Moon TCG days and is a recurring character in the Sun/Moon anime.

Meowth is also way too represented when it comes to TCG cards. Roaring Skies and Fates Collide had a Meowth in each, but no Persian to accompany them.

crystal_pidgeot

Bird Trainer *Vaporeon on PokeGym*
Gen I in general. Yeah, I get it's the one that started it all and it's the most recognizable by those outside the fandom, but newer Pokémon deserve some time in the spotlight, too. This even extends to Kanto as a whole: Gen VI is the only one that features no Kanto characters. It's as if the global government is seated in Saffron City or something.

You can't say gen one if you mean Charizard, Pikachu and Mewtwo. There are other gen one Pokemon I wish got attention. I want more things and product with Pidgeot. I would love to buy a Pidgeot plush and not have to spend 400 bucks to do so. I mean, they use Goldeen way too much. Would love for Pikachu to get some attention. Pikachu is the reason other Pikachu clones don't evolve.

Shfinx

Meta Slave btw
Not sure if this quite counts, since they don't use it to sell merch, but Tyranitar is pretty overrated. Due to him being strong in Pokemon GO, people assume he must be good in the other games. Though he's been fairly good in the VG, the last playable Tyranitar in the TCG was years ago, unles you count the M Tryanitar EX/Bats deck that is mediocre at best.

Kapu Riki

Spilling the T, sipping the Tapu Cocoa
Darkrai, Garbodor, and Zoroark lines get a lot of attention in the TCG and that is kind of frustrating. Also, the fact the Vileplume usually has an ability that is disruptive always annoys me. It would be nice for other Pokemon to get a share in the spotlight when it comes to TCG, because it is the one chance the Pokemon Company gets to showcase more Pokemon in unconventional ways.

Tapu Lele

Inflated and Overstocked
Tapu Koko is so overused! Like, whenever they refer to the guardians of Alola, the first firgure they point to is him. In fact, in one year, he got a pin collection, a figure collection, a shiny box collection, a shiny distribution, a jumbo card collection (in UK), AND a tin!

And I only get a cancelled pin collection!? What is this madness!?

Andrewninja4

The Monkey King
Bonsly is constantly overprinted in every other set in the tcg. We really need more Mewtwo!;)

Last edited:

Anime Psyclone

Guiding Light. Will Unchanged.
lolwhat

Oh my god, I forgot this Pokemon. Why? Because I don't want to remember this one. Kangaskahn is just bad. It's mega form doesn't help and that's in UBERS. Even with the nerf it's too good. Also, Breloom looks more like a kangaroo, so the one job Kanga has failed.

GrandPanacea

Thread Necromancer
Advanced Member
I don't really have anything in particular against them, but I will say that the likes of Charizard, Lucario, Mewtwo, Gen I starters in general, and other (typically bipedal) Pokémon who get attention outside of the main series tend to fall into the overused category.

Sure would love if Luxray could be more overused, because I love that zappy kitty