Pokémon What Pokémon you thought were good but turned out bad?

Scattered mind

Competitive VG Forums Mod
Forum Mod
From the very beginning of Pokémon Sun and Moon we got to know about all the available Pokémon including their type stats and abilities. Some Pokémon appeared to be very good on paper, but then in the moment of truth they were not as good or even worse. On the flip side, some Pokémon appeared to be really bad with low stats or bad typing but then became the face of the OU meta game.

What do you think ?
I have one example for now and it's Ash Greninja. I really thought this mon would not stand a chance as long as you can have Protean Greninja. Turns out this Greninja-A can actually be better and the issue of fainting an opposing Pokémon is not that hard to accomplish. RegularGreninja is still a great Pokémon to use, but its mere existence doesn't prevent Ash Greninja to shine in OU, at least for now.

Silvally.

The thought of mini-Arceus in OU sounded really cool! I know I wasn't alone in this either, and there are people still trying to make it work.

Then they found out that 95 across the board isn't great AND that it has a shallow movepool AND that not being able to hold a boosting item is more crippling than they thought.

On the flip side, Tapu Fini.

People didn't think Fini would make OU because it doesn't hit hard and its terrain doesn't boost an offense. They couldn't justify it over any of the other Tapus.

Then we discovered how well Fini works as a blanket check for the entire meta and now it's easily the second best Tapu.

Marowak-A: A slow 45 speed stat with 60 HP is pretty lolsy, and a base 80 atk isnt much either, so it was a suprise to me how much it took off. However, thanks to its' array of key immunities and resists, as well as a non penalizing power boost with Thick Club, it is a formidable pokemon that undertandably deserves a spot in OU.

Back