What level should I evolve my Scyther?

Verbivore

is a Magikarp user
I will first apologize if I posted this in the wrong place. I haven't been here in months, and when I was on the beach I had a tendency to misplace threads. Anyways,

40 something Scythers later, I finally got the Scyther I wanted, and my plan for it is as follows:

Scizor w/Choice Band
Trait: Technician
EVs: 252 Spe / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
-Bullet Punch
-Pursuit
-U-Turn
-Superpower

I know everything I think I need to know about it (and I have Pokerus!), with the exception of when do I evolve it?

I know Scizor gets 20 base atk and 20 base def, but scyther gets 40 speed.
I have not touched the scyther. How long should I wait?

I would actually wait until the level you need it at. Like if you're planning to use it at level 100, I would wait until it' sup at level 100 to evolve it. Since Scyther is not an evolved pokemon, it takes less EXP to get itself up to Lv. 100 than Scizor does. In addition, the extra speed that Scyther has makes it easier to fight Higher-level opponents, since it will have the ability to outspeed them. All of the moves except for Pusuit are either TM or Move Tutor anyways, so you don't need to worry about waiting for a certain level.

On a side note, I would recommend an EV spread of 248 HP/252 Atk/8 Spe. Since Scizor isn't very fast, the maximum investment in speed actually won't help it that much. Bullet Punch allows it to move first anyways. The 248 HP will make Scizor able to take hits much more easily, which is important since it is so naturally slow.

Oooh thanks a million. I just realized that Bullet Punch and Pursuit (well, if they switch) are priority-based anyways, so speed won't matter. In that case, I'll probably evolve it at Lv. 1, as I'm only training it until 50. And I think I read somewhere that 248 HP > 252 HP because it's like 1 more HP when switching into stealth rock, etc.

Thanks!

TPO3 said:
I would actually wait until the level you need it at. Like if you're planning to use it at level 100, I would wait until it' sup at level 100 to evolve it. Since Scyther is not an evolved pokemon, it takes less EXP to get itself up to Lv. 100 than Scizor does. In addition, the extra speed that Scyther has makes it easier to fight Higher-level opponents, since it will have the ability to outspeed them. All of the moves except for Pusuit are either TM or Move Tutor anyways, so you don't need to worry about waiting for a certain level.

On a side note, I would recommend an EV spread of 248 HP/252 Atk/8 Spe. Since Scizor isn't very fast, the maximum investment in speed actually won't help it that much. Bullet Punch allows it to move first anyways. The 248 HP will make Scizor able to take hits much more easily, which is important since it is so naturally slow.

Unevolved Pokemon take the same amount of experience as evolved Pokemon. It is from formulas so that doesn't matter. You will need a heart scale to teach Scizor Bullet Punch unless your Scyther is level 1 since Scizor starts with that move.

Back