Pokemon What is your opinion on human-like Pokémon?

I actually like them. Most of them have a good design. I don't see a problem with them being "human-like". I don't like Jynx though. Not because it is a woman but because it is a watermelon in a dress using lip stick.

Flys Gone 2071 said:
I actually like them. Most of them have a good design. I don't see a problem with them being "human-like". I don't like Jynx though. Not because it is a woman but because it is a watermelon in a dress using lip stick.

I've never heard the 'watermelon in a dress wearing lipstick' theory. That made me lol. :) I personally like Jynx. I also love Gothitelle. Idk why it gets so much hate.

AdamLambert said:
Flys Gone 2071 said:

I've never heard the 'watermelon in a dress wearing lipstick' theory. That made me lol. :) I personally like Jynx. I also love Gothitelle. Idk why it gets so much hate.

I also like Gothitelle (and all human-like Pokemon that aren't Jynx). I don't "hate" Jynx, I just dislike it (I don't hate any Pokemon but there are some I dislike).

Flys Gone 2071 said:
AdamLambert said:

I also like Gothitelle (and all human-like Pokemon that aren't Jynx). I don't "hate" Jynx, I just dislike it (I don't hate any Pokemon but there are some I dislike).

Jynx is probably my least favorite human-like Pokémon. Gothitelle is my favorite. Unless Hariyama can be considered human-like. Then Hariyama wins.

Not sure how I feel about human-like Pokemon. I still like today what Hitmonlee's and Hitmonchan's concepts were based off of Good 'ol Bruce Lee. When I was little, whenever I saw Smoochum it reminded me of some kind of alternate design of Dora the Explorer.

it depends. I don't mind the Abra line (if they count) or the Ralts line, but I don't like the Timburr line or Machamp.

My least faviourite is Gothitelle. Eww.
My faviourite is probably Machoke in Gold.

@Everyone
Please don't turn this into a favorites thread. The topic is for discussions over your thoughts on human designed Pokémon. Saying something is your favorite is an opinion, sure, but there's nothing to discuss from that.

For me, it really depends. Kind of like the OP hints at, I'll either like them or hate them. I think Gardevoir is a pretty powerful looking Pokémon (even though she's technically not in the human egg group), but when I look at Jynx, she just looks like a joke to me. Now that I think of it, a lot of the Pokémon I like the most (as far as looks and ability) are human-like. I guess the whole bi-pedal aspect makes them seem more sophisticated or maybe more relatable. Like Lucario for example kind of looks more powerful than he really is because of the human like design.

To illustrate, if you placed Lucario and Eevee next to each other and asked someone who knows nothing about Pokémon which they thought was better, they would probably pick Lucario- and I would say it's because of that human like design; it just looks superior. So I really like the human-like Pokémon; they add a lot of character/badassness to the Pokémon pool.

Elite Stride said:
@Everyone
Please don't turn this into a favorites thread. The topic is for discussions over your thoughts on human designed Pokémon. Saying something is your favorite is an opinion, sure, but there's nothing to discuss from that.

For me, it really depends. Kind of like the OP hints at, I'll either like them or hate them. I think Gardevoir is a pretty powerful looking Pokémon (even though she's technically not in the human egg group), but when I look at Jynx, she just looks like a joke to me. Now that I think of it, a lot of the Pokémon I like the most (as far as looks and ability) are human-like. I guess the whole bi-pedal aspect makes them seem more sophisticated or maybe more relatable. Like Lucario for example kind of looks more powerful than he really is because of the human like design.

To illustrate, if you placed Lucario and Eevee next to each other and asked someone who knows nothing about Pokémon which they thought was better, they would probably pick Lucario- and I would say it's because of that human like design; it just looks superior. So I really like the human-like Pokémon; they add a lot of character/badassness to the Pokémon pool.

Agreed. There's just something respectable about a biped Pokémon. That's why a lot of people I know like Dewott, but hate Samurott.

Elite Stride said:

I think they would say that because Lucario is simply cooler than eevee. Of course, it looks more powerful, it's an evolved pokémon. Plus, I don't consider Lucario a human-like pokémon.

But anyway...

My opinion: Human-like pokémon are my least favorite, period. Jynx, Mr. Mime, the Gothitelle line, Sawk and Throh, Kami Trio Incarnate formes, etc... The reason? Precisely because they look like humans.
I don't mind Gardevoir or Fighting-types like Machamp or Hitmonlee because they still retain a bit of an animalistic look or details that separate them from looking just like a human... I want Pokémon to look as diferent from humans as possible...

Case-by-case basis, honestly. I like a Pokemon based on its overall looks, not necessarily its body shape. But after looking over which Pokemon are human-shaped...most of them I don't like. I only like about 7 of them: the Abra line, Toxicroak (maaaaaaaybe Croagunk), Electivire, Elgyem, and Cacturne. The rest I do not particularly care for.

DNA doesn't like Lucario or Gardevior?
You monster.

I'm 'meh' on the point. I like them when they're executed well, but with ones that get f***ed-up quickly (Lickitung), look poorly designed (Jynx), look cool yet incredibly disturbing (Magmar), or evolve into ridiculous proportions (Jynx and Gothita), I have a distaste.

I usually like them. I've used some in-game, but some, such as Jynx, are just plain weird. If Game Freak makes more, I would want to see them be non-psychic or fighting type, though.

I think one thing that determines whether or not someone likes a human-like Pokémon is whether or not it has clothes, and how well its applied in the design.

I like them (yes, even Jynx, Mr. Mime, and the Kami trio). I think the reason for a lot of peoples' distaste has to do with the Uncanny Valley effect, which is basically this: The closer a thing is to human, the more likable it is, unless it gets TOO close, in which case it quickly becomes disturbing for most. And it's up to personal opinion if any Pokemon fall into that range; for me, none do.

The only problem I have with some human-like Pokemon is part of the fandom's attitude that some of them should be one certain gender or the other- e.g., "why do male Gardevoir exist?" They're human-LIKE, but they're not human. d:

frezgle said:
I like them (yes, even Jynx, Mr. Mime, and the Kami trio). I think the reason for a lot of peoples' distaste has to do with the Uncanny Valley effect, which is basically this: The closer a thing is to human, the more likable it is, unless it gets TOO close, in which case it quickly becomes disturbing for most. And it's up to personal opinion if any Pokemon fall into that range; for me, none do.

The only problem I have with some human-like Pokemon is part of the fandom's attitude that some of them should be one certain gender or the other- e.g., "why do male Gardevoir exist?" They're human-LIKE, but they're not human. d:

Exactly. Gardevoir is feminine in human standards, but it isn't a human, so human standards fall apart right away.

Elite Stride said:
To illustrate, if you placed Lucario and Eevee next to each other and asked someone who knows nothing about Pokémon which they thought was better, they would probably pick Lucario- and I would say it's because of that human like design; it just looks superior.
Metalizard said:
I think they would say that because Lucario is simply cooler than eevee. Of course, it looks more powerful, it's an evolved pokémon. Plus, I don't consider Lucario a human-like pokémon.

That was the basis of the whole illustration, Lucario looks cooler. I think it would be the same even with an evolved form of Eevee or a lot of other 4-legged creatures. The point is that the bi-pedal-ness of these Pokémon makes them more relatable to a human, which sometimes gives them a higher sense of superiority to other, more animal-like Pokémon, design-wise.

And I've been using him as an example cause he is legally classified as human-like.

^Well, that I agree... Hence why a lot of pokémon that would normally be quadruped are bipedal (Feraligatr, for example)...

The only ones I hated at first were Tornadus, Thundurus, and Landorus. To me it was just like making Greek or Roman gods into Pokemon, and lazily at that since all 3 look pretty much identical. Nowadays I've warmed up to them I guess, but I still hate battling against them over wi-fi...

Hmm, well ever since laaate into the 2nd generation, and early into 3rd generation, I generally generated a lot of love towards the Machop family, but that's mainly because they are bodybuilders, hah hah! As for the actual human aspect in and of itself....

Hmm, I can't really tell whether or not it makes much of a difference. I would think human-shape means more than just being bipedal! For instance, most human-shaped Pokemon generally have "paddle" shaped feet.

Err, I need to take some time and really THINK about what constitutes "human shaped".

One might think of fists, knuckles, and palms as human-shaped, but some non-humanshape Pokemon have that, too (Slowbro, Feraligatr, Typhlosion.

Well, I'm not really sure yet what my opinion is on them.

Back