Pokemon What extra features in past Pokémon games did you like? Why?

AdamLambert

Aspiring Potato
In past games, we've been introduced some pretty fun features, such as Safari Zones, PokéStar Studios, and Pokéathlon. What was your favorite and why? What do you hope we get in X and Y? Do you hope they'll bring a feature back?

RE: What was your favorite 'extra feature' in past Pokémon games?

I'm torn between contests and secret bases, both from R/S/E.
Contests were a nice distraction and kind of a battle system of their own, with unique strategies and methods of getting your Pokemon into prime condition. I worked realllly hard to get all five paintings in the art museum for winning the Master Rank contests, and it felt pretty awesome.
Secret bases on the other hand... There wasn't nearly as much to do in them, but they tapped into my love of hideouts that I've had since I was a child. I used to live in a house that hand two giant pines trees that grew too close together and formed a sort of... tree cave, and I loved it. The secret bases were just like that hideout. They were a feature that I could just unwind and derp around in.

frezgle said:
I'm torn between contests and secret bases, both from R/S/E.
Contests were a nice distraction and kind of a battle system of their own, with unique strategies and methods of getting your Pokemon into prime condition. I worked realllly hard to get all five paintings in the art museum for winning the Master Rank contests, and it felt pretty awesome.
Secret bases on the other hand... There wasn't nearly as much to do in them, but they tapped into my love of hideouts that I've had since I was a child. I used to live in a house that hand two giant pines trees that grew too close together and formed a sort of... tree cave, and I loved it. The secret bases were just like that hideout. They were a feature that I could just unwind and derp around in.

Secret bases were really fun, especially when the Lilycove Department Store was having that rooftop sale where you could get all sorts of things. The contests were fun as well. I only beat Master Rank once and boy was I excited.

Pokémon Gold and Silver I loved the Bug catching contest, was one of my favourites. Fire Red/Leaf Green the islands were really nice, I'd love to see this happen in newer games. Secret bases were fun, especially with friends. It's safe to say R/S/E had loads of cool features.

In Pokemon Crystal, the moving sprites.

I loved the Safari Zone, Bug Catching Contests, and fighting Red for endgame. However, I'm not sure if this really counts, but my favorite feature to ever be in a Pokémon game was the ability to fight previous gym leaders in other regions in Gen2. I think it would be such a cool idea to do something like this again.

The ability to go back to Kanto, was also an amazing feature if it counts. I liked the ability to battle past leaders as well.

The ability to dive underwater in R/S/E. I think this feature has way more potential like imagine exploring a lost city which was drowned a long time ago or entering an underwater shrine like in Legend of Zelda games not to mention all the Pokemon that live underwater in the first place. I know this feature was kind of implemented in B2/W2 but they can do way more than that when it comes to going under an ocean.

billi1000 said:
The ability to dive underwater in R/S/E. I think this feature has way more potential like imagine exploring a lost city which was drowned a long time ago or entering an underwater shrine like in Legend of Zelda games not to mention all the Pokemon that live underwater in the first place. I know this feature was kind of implemented in B2/W2 but they can do way more than that when it comes to going under an ocean.

This has got to happen. There is so much potential for an underwater world on the 3DS. Maybe they could make an underwater city. That would be amazing. I don't know how exactly GF would do it, but it'd be great, no doubt.

Well we can all agree, R/S/E brought in so many new features, wish they would implement them in X&Y

I liked the Pokeathalon, house (in Emerald), and yes, going from Johto to Kanto.

I'd rank my top favorites as the following:

1. Pokelathon: This extra was a superior replacement of the contests. The focus really felt like it was on the Pokemon themselves rather than the trainer giving commands. It allowed for previously "useless" Pokemon to be used and enjoyed. There was a large variety in the events themselves, so if you didn't like a certain part it was easy to move on to something different. Overall, it was challenging and something I looked forward to doing.

2. Contests (RSE Style): I mention RSE style specifically because I did not like contests in DPP. The second incarnation of contests took the focus away from the Pokemon themselves and focused on items. There was less of a challenge with shorter rounds. The original contests were really fun and allowed you to raise Pokemon for a different purpose. Moves you would normally get rid of had a new use and Pokemon you would not normally use also got to be in the spotlight. There was skill and challenge in completing contests.

3. Dive: My favorite HM allowed me to do what I wish I could in real life: explore the ocean. I hope to see it in XY because of the possibilities. In B2W2, the Marine Tube was a nice touch and exciting to walk through. Actually diving and exploring the sea is a nice feature even for the after-game. I love exploring and dive allowed players to explore like never before. There is so much potential here and it was hard to rank it only third.

4. Secret Base: The secret base idea is really fun and allows for personalization in the Pokemon world. It does not do much toward the game itself but the idea that after interacting with a friend's base that you could visit and challenge him/her is really fun. It sort of replaced the building in Viridian City during the 3rd gen, although this was missing as a feature for the bases in 4th gen. However, capture the flag is fun to a degree and so is setting up traps for your friends. It allows for a different type of interactivity for players and I think it should return if contests or Pokelathon does not.

5. Daily Events: I wish this still happened in the way it did for GS/HGSS because each day there was something distinct to look forward to. I loved having days for a bug catching contest, days for riding a ship full of trainers ready for battle, and a day for Overworld Pokemon to be discovered. I wish there was more than one event per day, though. I also love events specific for day/night but they are pretty much the same as daily events, so I consider them when I write this paragraph. Events give the region life and although the games can be enjoyable without them, they make them special.

HGSS' Safari Zone was amazing because of the customization features. I love designing levels.

I really like having a pokemon following me. Hands down, it just makes your whole experience with your pokemon so much more fun. I actually felt like I could somewhat bond with my pokemon and I like the idea of having more freedom of pokemon outside of pokeballs like in the anime.

Other than that I really miss contests and the secret base mechanics. The contests, because honestly I liked collecting ribbons on my favorite pokemon. To me it shows the journey more than the lvl. The secret base was an awesome feature to have. It was like having your own pokemon treehouse... literally.. haha. They tried to implement something similar in DPP with the "underground" thing. Yeah, I kinda felt like that was a fail. The underground felt like a pain in the butt to walk through and didn't seem as cool as having your hideout in a tree.

I like the BF, Medal Rally, Pokémon following you and PokéStar Studios. Though, the squeal to XY/the third game will probably add that kind of stuff, because the guys who do the initial games (RS/DP/BW) are different from the guys who do the third games and re-makes (E/Pt/HGSS/B2W2).

Blob55 said:
I like the BF, Medal Rally, Pokémon following you and PokéStar Studios. Though, the squeal to XY/the third game will probably add that kind of stuff, because the guys who do the initial games (RS/DP/BW) are different from the guys who do the third games and re-makes (E/Pt/HGSS/B2W2).

Wow. I didn't know that. Why is that?

I don't really care much about those side challenges/features... I usually stick to the battles...
But there's 2 things I really liked. First, the following pokémon cause it's always cool to see your favorite with you in the overworld, feels more real...
Second, as distractions, none of the above you mentioned... The only thing I really liked and actually spent a lot of time doing was digging in the Sinnoh Underground... I loved that... Looking for the places to excavate and find all those items which were all useful in some way (specially evolutionary stones) and obviously the fossils... It was fun...

Thief said:
Blob55 said:

Wow. I didn't know that. Why is that?
Probably to help differentiate them even more from the original.

Anyway, I really liked the Stark Mountain sidequest in Platinum. Any legendary sidequest is good for me (as opposed to just going to a cave and a legendary being there).
I like the Medal Rally. I never try to actually fulfill the criteria to get them purposefully, I just do what I do and get them as they come along.
I also liked going off to little routes using Surf, hopefully in X/Y they do more of that.
Aside from the usuals like Safari Zone, PWT etc those are my main 3.

The bug catching contest from G/S was extremely fun and I also loved the Pokeathlon :)

Re: What was your favorite 'extra feature' in past Pokémon games?

Exploring all the extra islands in FRLG was brilliant fun! Would spend hours pouring over every inch! Also, the bug catching contests in GS and HGSS were fantastic.

I've not really been bothered with any other contests in the games. I'm more of an explorer. :)

Back